Profile for H. Wang > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 376

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

H. Wang "jwangamazon" RSS Feed (San Jose, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Retire Rich with Rentals: How to Enjoy Ongoing Cash Flow From Real Estate...So You Don't Have to Work Forever
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Introductory level to comfort beginners to get into real estate investment. Lack of depth though., December 28, 2014
I own rental properties and I have read quite some real estate investment related books, including rich-dad-poor-dad series. I finish reading this book in about 30 minutes. If you own rental properties already, this book may not add too much value to improve your investment knowledge. For people that are still wondering whether to invest in real estate or not, this book may comfort you.

Nevertheless, I think 50% of the contents can be trimmed away and yet it won't lose the essence the author is trying to convey.

By the way, I got the kindle version. The kindle version is awful...a lot of letters are lost, for example "finance" becomes "nance", and "find" becomes "nd". I am able to figure out the lost letters by reading the whole sentence. If you want to buy this book, don't get the kindle version.

Certified Refurbished Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Next-Gen Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers

4.0 out of 5 stars It does not stress my eyes. It helps me to re-claim unusable time for reading., December 28, 2014
I have tablet, but I don't like them as the font size is too small for my eyes (I am > 50-year). Also, the shinning screen of tablet makes my eyes stressful after long use.

I never used kindle or any other ebook readers before. I was getting this refurbished kindle paperwhite for a trial. I don't have too much expectation on it as I usually read "real" books, not ebooks. Also I suspect the font size could be too small for my eyes.

After receiving it, I found the screen size is even smaller than my tablet...my expecation dropped further down at that point as I usually don't want to stress my eyes on small screen (and yes, I don't have smart phone just for this reason). Anyway, I download several free ebooks from Amazon. Just to see how it goes.

Then I realize the font size can be adjusted, that's a very good starting point. Later, I find the screen backlight also can be increased. Though this consumes more power, this is important to me as my vision is no good with low light or low contrast. So, that's another plus for me. The screen is not shinning, so there is no reflection issue. And the screen does not collect my fingerprints or smudges. Other good points include: it has built-in dictionary to improve my reading, it has big memory that can hold hundreds (if not thousands) of books, the battery lasts for weeks. Later, I find out a lot books are sold cheaper in ebook from.

So, I am sold and I will keep the kindle paperwhite.

I find myself have more time to read books now. Don't get me wrong. I don't allocate more time for reading, I just re-claim the used-to-be unusable time for reading. For example, while waiting for picking up kids, I can read in the car. While waiting in physician's waiting room, I can read. This kindle is so small and so thin that can be carried around easily.

All in all, I am happy with the kindle paperwhite. If you don't think you have time for reading...then you should think about how to re-claim those unusable time for reading.

Fintie Kindle Paperwhite SmartShell Case - The Thinnest and Lightest Leather Cover for Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (Both 2012 and 2013 Versions with 6" Display and Built-in Light), Navy
Offered by Fintie
Price: $15.99
2 used & new from $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Indeed, the thinnest and lightest case cover for kindle papwerwhite. And price is good., December 28, 2014
I got a refurbished kindle paperwhite for a trial. After using it for 2 weeks, I decide to keep the kindle paperwhite. The next thing is to find a case, or sleeve, or folio-cover for it. I don't want to get a think cover as I want to keep this thing as thin as possible. So I can squeeze it into my briefcase, or backpack easily.

After searching on the amazon, I find this Finite paperwhite smart shell case. It claims to be the thinnest and lightest cover for kindle paperwhite. I guess, no harm to give it a try.

It turns out this cover indeed is very thin and light. It fits the kindle paperwhite exactly. When I open the cover, somehow it can wake up the kindle paperwhile, so I don't need to press the wake up button. The case won't protect my kindle from hard impact, I am OK with that. As I am just looking for a cover to protect my kindle's screen from scratch only.

All in all, I am happy with this "thinnest and lightest" cover my kindle paperwhite.

Energy CS-30 Soundbar (Satin Black)
Energy CS-30 Soundbar (Satin Black)
Price: $599.00
2 used & new from $599.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than my 5.1 surround-sound system. The subwoofer is powerful like a cannon., December 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a 5.1 system in my living room. Lately, I just got a 50 inch TV for my master bedroom from post-Thanksgiving sales. I am getting this Energy CS-30 soundbar system to pair with the 50 inch TV.

The soundbar is light weight, but the subwoofer is very heavy. Only Toslink optical cable is included, you need to get other type of cables (like RCA cable) if your TV does not take optical cable.

Installation is pretty strightforward, just attach the rubber feet to the soundbar and connect the included optical cable. Or you can mount the soundbar to the wall. The subwoofer is connected wirelessly to the soundbar automatically. No need for password (like wifi), or to manually pair them together like bluetooth.

The soundbar system is automatically on when TV is turned on. Comparing with my 5.1 system, the sound from this Energy CS-30 is pretty imprssive. This CS-30 soundbar fills the whole room easily. The subwoofer is especially good. The low frequency sound from the subwoofer virtually shake the whole room (no wander the subwoofer box is so heavy). Thought this soundbar does not have 5 speakers to create surround-sound effect, you don't feel the need for that. As the whole room is filled with the sound and you are submerged in it. Actually, I feel this CS-30 soundbar sounds better than my 5.1 system.

All in all, I really enjoy this Energy CS-30 soundbar system, and I would definitely recommend it to my friends.

Security Chain Company Super Z6, SZ429, Cable Chain for Pickups & SUVs - Set of 2
Price: $89.99
4 used & new from $77.50

5.0 out of 5 stars 10+ years user experience. Easy to mount., December 23, 2014
I have been using SCC's snow chain for more than 10-year. Mainly because of it's unique design for me to install the chain easily. Not like other snow chains, there is no need to move car around to mount the snow chain.

This year, I donated my 14-year-old year 2000 Honda Odyssey and got a year 2014 Honda Odyssey. The year 2014 Odyssey has a bigger tire (16-inch). So, I can not re-use the old SCC snow chain (for 15-in tire). I am getting the SCC Super SZ429 for my year 2014 Honda Odyssey.

If you don't know how to pick the right snow chain model (or size), you should go do Security Chain Company's web site (just google it) first. Enter your car's information in their web site, they will list out several snow chain choices for you. Pick a snow chain model number, and come to Amazon site to find the snow chain model. Then you can place your order in Amazon because Security Chain company does not sell their snow chain to user directly.

After receiving the snow chain, I mount it onto my Odyssey on the driveway. It fits well.

60" Hardwood Workbench with 4 Drawers
60" Hardwood Workbench with 4 Drawers
Offered by Creative Online Solutions
Price: $175.28
2 used & new from $175.28

5.0 out of 5 stars A sturdy wood work bench...a great value for the money., December 23, 2014
Same as most of other reviewers, I got one from Harbor Hardware with 20% off coupon also. With the price I am paying and the fine product I am getting, this is definitely a great value purchase.

Not sure whether I am lucky or the manufacturer has improved their process. I don't run into any problem with this set. However, I do agree that the assembly instruction manual sucks. I have to read the instruction several times to understand it. Don't get me wrong, I am handy as I take care of maintenance work for my rental properties.

I have to admit that they do a good job in packaging this heavy wood bench. Every single part is fully wrapped with protection plastic cover. So, parts do not scratch among each other during shipping. After removing all the protection cover, all parts are in good shape, no damage, and no scratch at all.

During assembling, I find all the parts fit well, no misalignment. It took me about 2 hours to get it assembled by myself. By the way, do yourself a favor, get a Torx bit with power driver, and throw away the supplied Allen wench. It will make the assembly work faster and easier.

The 4 drawers are easy to install also. Once they are in, the 4 drawer slides easily and smoothly.

All in all, except the instruction manual (need to read couple of times), I really don't have any complaint about this work bench...no broken parts, no misalignment, all parts fit well. At the end, I got a very sturdy wood work bench. A great value for my money.

Acer Aspire Switch 11 SW5-171-39LB 11.6-Inch Full HD Detachable 2 in 1 Touchscreen Laptop
Price: $629.07
3 used & new from $609.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Tablet and laptop in one. Versatile and highly portable. Good Value for the money., December 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have Android tablet, but I don't like to use tablet for following reasons: (1) Screen size is too small for my eyes (I am > 50). (2) Typing is not efficient.

So, Chromebook has been my prime secondary computer due to the larger screen size and the included keyboard. The downside of Chromebook is not able to install Window based software...like VPN for accessing my office. That limited my Chromebook usage.

The Acer Aspire Switch 11 is a 2-in-1 machine, as it can be a tablet, or a laptop. From a table point of view, the tablet part is on the heavy side. Not sure how long one can hold it as a tablet. The keyboard part is light, about the typical weight for an attached keyboard. When the top heavy tablet part connects to the bottom keyboard part to transform into a laptop, the overall weight is lighter than a typical laptop. But, it tends to tip backward because the keyboard part is too light. Does that mean Acer should add more weight to the keyboard? No way, there is no point to intentionally make the whole machine heavy. The compact size along with the lighter weight of this tablet/laptop makes it a great travel companion.

This Aspire Switch 11 uses the same impact-resistant Corning Gorilla Glass used on iPhone 6. I am surprised the shiny glass does not catch my finger grease easily. For people with privacy concern, you may need to purchase a privacy screen cover as the screen has 180-degree view-able angle.

As a window based tablet/laptop, it gives me the option to install window based software. With the combination of I3 processor, 4G main memory and 128G flash drive, the speed of this Aspire Switch 11 is impressive. I get used to the fast up-and-running speed from using Chromebook. This Acer table/laptop is on par with Chromebook in terms of wake-up speed and web loading time.

Nowadays, virtually all new laptops running with Window 8.1 have both touch screen and keyboard. The touch screen of this Aspire Switch 11 is even more responsive than my $250-price-tag Android tablet.

Since I get this Acer Aspire Switch 11 tablet/laptop, I find myself using it more often than my Chromebook. Several reasons for that: (1) its speed is on par with my Chromebook, (2) it has touch sensitive screen, my Chromebook does not, (3) it can run window based program.

The only negative part of this Acer tablet/laptop is the battery run time. I can get about 4 to 4 1/2 hours of battery life between each charge. That's at the low side when comparing with both tablets, and Chromebooks.

All in all, this Acer Aspire Switch 11 is an interesting offer. I would recommend it to people with the need of tablet and laptop but don't want to carry two devices around.

TP-LINK Archer T2U AC600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter, 2.4GHz 150Mbps/5Ghz 433Mbps, Support Windows XP/7/8
Price: Click here to see our price
49 used & new from $17.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Price is reasonable. Performance is great. Good Value., December 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Lately, I upgrade my router from TP-LINK WDR4300 N750 router (an 802.11 N router) to TP-LINK Archer C8 AC1750 router (an 802.11 AC router) to support my newly added desktop computers with built-in 802.11 AC wifi capability. It has been working great from both coverage range and tranmission speed.

With the good experience from the 802.11 AC upgrade. I move on to get this TP-LINK Archer T2U AC600 wireless dual band USB adapter because it supports 802.11 AC also. This is to replace my existing wifi USB adapter from an old Window 7 desktop. The installing process is pretty easy, no need to have networking technical background. After replacing the wifi USB adapter, I see the transmission speed improvement right away by streaming a netflix video at 1080 resolution.

All in all, there is no point to get an 802.11 AC USB adapter, but if you have an 802.11 AC capable router already, I would recommend this TP-LINK T2U AC600 USB adapter. The price is right, and the performance is good.

Altra Furniture Galaxy TV Stand with Mount for TVs up to 50-Inch, Walnut Finish
Altra Furniture Galaxy TV Stand with Mount for TVs up to 50-Inch, Walnut Finish
Offered by Hottrails
Price: $92.16
19 used & new from $67.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to assemble, small footprint. Good value for the money., December 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The walnut wood finish and the dark tinted glass shelf give this TV stand a high-end appearance. You won't have the cheap stuff feeling to place this TV stand in living room or family room.

All the parts and hardware screws are clearly labeled. They use small bags to separate every hardware screws with label on each bag...very thoughtful and nice arrangements.

You need screwdriver to assembly this TV stand. And I recommend not to use powered-tool, as you could damage the plastic anchors when you drive screws in. Though the overall assembly work is pretty straightforward (thanks to the very detail assembly guide with good drawings), you may need another hand when you finally assemble the bottom base to the neck of of the stand.

As you can see from the product picture, the stand has smaller footprint than the TV. So, it won't hold most of sound bars, or sub-woofers. This is the only drawback for this TV stand. (I take one point out for this, purely from feature point of view.)

By the way, the stand is designed to tip backward (for safety). So it need to be placed against a wall, I mean it won't stand stable by itself without a wall behind it. So, think of the placement of this TV stand before you purchase it.

Once the TV stand is fully assembled, it's very easy to mount the TV. You can adjust the height easily, but you won't be able to adjust the viewing angle of the TV.

All in all, I am happy with this TV stand. With this reasonable price, I would recommend it to my friends.

Canon MAXIFY MB2320 Wireless All-In-One Color Business Printer with Scanner, Copier
Price: $129.99
6 used & new from $129.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, with so many functions at such a good price., November 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am comparing this Canon MAXIFY MB2320 Wireless All-In-One with my current Epson WorkForce 840 Wireless All-in-On inkjet printer. The Epson AIO is a year-2011 product. Both Canon MAXIFY and Epson 840 have following similar baseline functions: 500-sheet paper capacity, two-sided printing, two-sided scanning, two-sided copying and faxing. As a year-2014 product, the Canon MAXIFY adds quite some cloud-based printing features, like printing from dropbox account, printing from my Chromebook, print from iPhone...etc. Better yet, I can even email a document to this Canon MAXIFY printer to get it printed....this means, I can do remote printing.

On the scan operation, the Cannon adds a scan-to-email function. I use this function quite a lot in office for scanning signed documents into electronic copies.

To print document out from my Chromebook, I just need to register this printer as a cloud printer in my google account. That's convenient.

In terms of printing quality, the black-and-white print-outs are very close to laser printer quality (seriously, I really can not tell much difference till I use a magnifier to inspect details.). The color print-outs are good. I don't bother to test photo print-out as this is not a 7-ink-cartridge photo printer.

This Canon is faster than my Epson Workforce AIO. I have used various ink -jet based printers. This Canon MAXIFY AIO is by far the fastest one. The downside is the big noise when all the motors runs to spit out the page at such a high speed. You might want to place it away from you as that noise could be irritating if you foresee big print out jobs on a regular basis.

Scanning function is a big deal to me, as I virtually scan all documents into electronic files for archiving. I have a business-class Scanner from Kodak (with a $2400 price tag) at home for that purpose. The scanning speed of the Canon MAXIFY is about the average as an add-on function in an ink-jet AIO. The scanned image quality is sufficient for archiving purpose. As usual, the scanning speed degrades if scanning at higher resolution. If you are looking for fast scanner, you might be disappointed. I won't deduct point due to the average scanning speed as this is not a dedicated scanning machine.

In summary, I like this Canon MAXIFY, it's my new printing workhorse with fast speed and convenient cloud printing capabilities. If your home office has some room (as it does take some foot print of your desk), I would recommend this Canon MAXIFY AIO, especially with this great price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20