Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Reviewer > Reviews

Browse

Reviewer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 71

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Reviewer RSS Feed (USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
20x20 Premium Down Alternative Decorative Pillow Insert Form with 100% Cotton Cover and Hypoallergenic Fill, Made in America
Offered by KOVI Home
Price: $35.99
2 used & new from $13.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice product for the price, March 6, 2016
Works great with my 18"/18" pillow covers

iCloth Avionics Screen Cleaning Wipes for a like-new shine on larger or multiple displays [iCA100] 100 wipe pack
Offered by 5StarsHQ
Price: $29.99
3 used & new from $26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, March 6, 2016
Excluding one dry cloth thus far, overall I am really liking the wipes. Easy to use, works great on my electronics. Recommend

POCKET MUSIC
POCKET MUSIC
Offered by FIRELIGHT
Price: $30.00
50 used & new from $27.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Tatsuro Goes Sentimental...And It Really Works, January 24, 2015
This review is from: POCKET MUSIC (Audio CD)
I love this album. Maybe a song like "Mermaid" is a sappy love tale, perhaps it's "easy listening" in some respects, but I'd argue the album acts more lush than anything else. When I listen to the title track, I am put at ease as if I was like the two people in the cover art looking at a photo from a windy seashore. This may not be a classic Tats album, but it's a great one.

For You
For You
Offered by KAZU JAPAN SHOP
Price: $25.79
124 used & new from $20.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Album Without A Doubt--A Must Get for Any Tats Fan, January 24, 2015
This review is from: For You (Audio CD)
About as close as one gets to Tats's best album...an infinitely listenable post-disco, west-coast (USA) vibe, and smooth smooth smooth. It is unsurprising that this album has one of Tats' most covered songs "Love Talkin". This is easily the best intro album for a newbie to Tats classic period and unmistakably a must have for any fan of his work.

Aor
Aor
Price: $18.84
31 used & new from $6.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Musical Masterpiece With A Steely Dan Vibe, January 2, 2015
This review is from: Aor (Audio CD)
There are a number of artists that are recreating the AOR/Steely Dan sound of the 70s. But nothing has compared as well as Ed Motta's AOR. Granted, Motta is a huge Steely Dan fan, calling "Aja" his musical bible. And Ed knows GOOD music considering his famous album collection. So perhaps it is with that influence that Motta takes his ridiculous talent to this album. It's still Ed Motta with his singular genius, but with the touch of studio work and production quality that is really reminiscent of the Dan.

My album favorites are "Smile" and "1978", which are groovy and funky and perfect for any west-coaster in the States (or east-coaster in Brazil). But the whole album is very listenable and yet another impressive work by the master musician. I hope Ed gets to show more countries his impressive talent...and I really hope that Donald and Walter hear this album.

Música Moderna
Música Moderna
Price: $14.74
28 used & new from $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars LAI + Latin Classics = Incredible, December 9, 2014
This review is from: Música Moderna (Audio CD)
While this album at first would be too pop oriented for my tastes, particularly from the original artists, these covers are so fantastically produced that I would strongly recommend the album. Bearing with my ignorance, but these songs are almost like taking the groove of Los Amigos Invisibles and applying them to cover classics.

I don't know what inspired Jose Luis Pardo's breakup from LAI, but I will say that if this is the quality that emerges, well DJ Afro should stay busy (although to LAI fans like me, I am unsure what will happen to this amazing band). Further, there are many elements of LAI in this music (well done string backup, fun guitar riffing, etc.) that I am starting to wonder if Jose has been the mastermind behind LAI all along. He never took the credit in the live shows, but perhaps he is a main reason for the ridiculously plush songs that emerged over LAI's discography (particularly Repeat After Me, which is a glorious listen particularly as the last few tracks merge together).

And if you like the album, check out the fake YouTube ad for the album...hilariously retro. Some smart and really creative minds at work here...

Legao
Legao
Price: $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Strong Effort From One Of The Best Musicians In Europe, November 7, 2014
This review is from: Legao (MP3 Music)
As the first reviewer--which I am shocked to see...I'll say that as much as I enjoy Erlend and think he's brilliant, I'm not a huge fan of this album. I was fortunate to see him in concert for this album this fall in Europe and liked the music live better, but I find the album less memorable. That's not to say the instrumentation is weak. I love the concept of this pseudo-reggae spin and the guys from Hjálmar are nothing short of fantastic. The grooves are cool and prove once again that Erlend can adapt into vastly different genres without difficulty. But is the music overall as catchy as his efforts with TWBA or KOC? I don't think this album matches. Is the album worth buying? Oh yes. The song "Garota" is one of Erlend's very best songs -- solo or otherwise. But on the whole, this is a great but not exceptional album.

In the event Erlend reads this and gets despondent, I'll say that there's something about the live concerts that this album cannot capture. Often, when I go to concerts, it's the reverse. The music is so lousy live that the album production really shows. Here, the album production is wonderful as is the live concert. But even Erlend's Italian songs sounded far more appealing live than on the internet. I don't know how to explain it.

In any event, I can't wait for more Erlend music. For goodness sakes, his "Rainbows" back-up band could release an album of covers of TWBA (going off of the encore from his concert) and it'd be a wonderful album. And I could definitely see another solo album like this work. I guess I just want some more differentiation in the songs.

Saudades De Casa
Saudades De Casa
13 used & new from $25.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully rich album--a high-quality artist brings a fantastic album worthy of multiple listens, November 7, 2014
This review is from: Saudades De Casa (Audio CD)
I also don't know the lyrics to Lins' music, but this is another wonderful record by a fantastically talented musician. Smooth and rich--worthy of multiple listens just to get the intricacy to the music. I don't love all of Lins music, but this is a wonderful album of Brazilian pop/jazzy bossa nova. And one of the tracks has a guitar element that is Metheny-like, so if you like Metheny in an even more Brazilian angle, this album might appeal to you.

Aor (english Version)
Aor (english Version)
Price: $10.99
18 used & new from $9.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the Finest Faux-Steely Dan music to Date, October 25, 2014
This review is from: Aor (english Version) (Audio CD)
When I first learned about Ed Motta, it was through my fascination with MPB and his famous uncle, singer Tim Maia. Then I saw a YouTube film of Ed showcasing his five figure-long collection of albums of ridiculous variety. He proudly shows off his familiarity with artists near and far--from 1980s J-Pop to Steely Dan to the funky Keep On by D-Train. And I thought that anyone who has such an ear for music to appreciate such a vast array of songs may be able to produce some really good music. And Ed Motta has certainly done that.

But I suspect that if Ed listens to Steely Dan's Aja every week like he claims, then his heart must be attached to the smooth west-coast sounds of the late 1970s, where impeccable musicianship, studio production, and lyricism resulted in genre-breaking music.

AOR is an album that not just presents a modern-day love letter to this music but does the virtual impossible and actually presents songs that could easily have fit in Aja (minus the lyrics). Should we be surprised that a musician genius like Motta is the guy who actually can competently create such complex music? Yes, Steely Dan is being imitated by talents like Daft Punk and Mayer Hawthorne, but AOR is truly a full absorption of the west coast sound. And oh so very well.

I'm very tempted to see this guy in concert in Europe this fall because if Ed can come up with this kind of work on an album, he must be a hell of a performer live (case in point, his cover of Tatsuro Yamashita's "Windy Lady" that he performed live in Tokyo was better than the original).

Fine work, Ed!

Alaska
Alaska
Price: $9.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Gem of an Album, August 31, 2014
This review is from: Alaska (Audio CD)
I think Daniel Tashian must have made a deal with the devil. There is no conceivable way that anyone should be able to make such lush music on every track, album after album. And it still boggles my mind that The Silver Seas aren't better known. The music is simply too good. While High Society and Chateau Revenge may be really tough to beat for TSS albums, Alaska (and its title track in particular) represent another solid showing for this band. Reviews have called this album "country"--but it is not a great departure from TSS's previous works. It is still a classy work that warrants purchase, particularly from previous TSS listeners.

BTW--I love the cover art...unlike Tashian, I have been to Alaska. I've never seen the Northern Lights there, but I could imagine it might look like that.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8