Profile for David Lloyd > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 21

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David Lloyd "phidelt312" RSS Feed (Rapid City, SD)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Rada Cutlery Ultimate Collection 15 Pc Gift Set, Made in USA, Black Handles
Rada Cutlery Ultimate Collection 15 Pc Gift Set, Made in USA, Black Handles
Offered by Coffee and Cutlery
Price: $89.99
3 used & new from $65.99

5.0 out of 5 stars American-made Quality, January 1, 2014
I bought these mainly because my grandma had a set of Rada cutlery for years. I noticed that they're still made in America (unlike most goods nowadays), and that cinched my decision.

These come with the black composite handles or metal handles. I chose composite because you can put them in the dishwasher (metal handles required hand washing). I was impressed by the variety...there are almost too many knives! But I think that someone better in the kitchen might have use for each and every one of them. The quality is also nice; the few that I've used so far slice like a razor and clean up well. Finally, they come with a knife sharpener.

Time will tell if this set holds its shine and edge. I'm guessing that I'll have these knives for years to come, as they're not made in China by someone paid .25 an hour! Yes, these WERE more expensive than a lot of cutlery sets, but you get what you pay for. Rada's been around a long time and I'm confident that I made a wise choice...just like my grandma did!

Pajama Set - Spider - 7
Pajama Set - Spider - 7
Offered by Jolity
Price: $29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars American-made Comfort, January 1, 2014
I bought these for my son after searching Amazon for American-made clothing. They are really soft, right out of the package, and are of good quality. Like most parents, I've been dismayed at the cheap quality of a lot of kids clothing (thin fabric, etc). Not so with these! The quality and fit are great. I would highly recommend them, and plan on buying another pair (different style) in the future.

Perry Ellis Men's Slim Fit Vintage Wash Made In America Jean, Dark Indigo, 38x32

5.0 out of 5 stars American-made Quality, January 1, 2014
I'd been a Lucky Jeans customer for years, and usually bought 2-3 pair of jeans and a couple of their t-shirts each year. For years, they'd been scaling back their American-made jeans, and they recently eliminated domestic production all together. The interesting thing about companies sending jobs to China (Dr. Martens and scores of other companies have done this) is that the price of their product doesn't go DOWN! So while it saves them a ton of money on employee wages, you and I don't benefit from the switch.

So I searched Amazon for clothing that's made in the US, and was ecstatic to find these Perry Ellis jeans. I own several PE shirts and PE cologne, so I knew that they make quality stuff. I ordered one pair to check the fit, with the intention of buying more if I liked them.

I don't own a lot of slim fit jeans, so I was a little surprised at how snug they were when I first put them on. Hey, it did say "slim fit," right? But after wearing them for a couple of days, I got used to them and they now feel great. I have larger thighs due to cycling, so the next pair I order will be a size larger (38" waist). The inseam is perfect.

If you like your jeans loose, then these aren't the jeans for you. But if you like some tighter-fitting jeans or are buying for a younger person (my 20 year-old son wears slim-fit jeans exclusively), then these are an outstanding choice. The fact that they are American-made is the icing on the cake!

Release The Panic (Deluxe)
Release The Panic (Deluxe)
Price: $10.99
72 used & new from $4.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost their best..., December 16, 2013
My favorite Red song of all time is "Already Over." That being said, this is an incredible release with a couple of songs that are sure to be hits (especially "Hold Me Now"). Whether you want some positive music to pick you up, or some high-energy music to pump you up, this CD is well worth a listen.

Alive in Seattle
Alive in Seattle
Offered by newbury_comics
Price: $15.99
15 used & new from $10.13

3.0 out of 5 stars Great band, overdone F-bombs, December 3, 2013
This review is from: Alive in Seattle (Audio CD)
I've seen this band three times and they are AMAZING in concert. That being said, I don't remember Kevin dropping so many F-bombs. I'm no prude, but I'd say there are 20-30 Fs or MFs during the show. This kind of makes it hard to enjoy the actual show, and I can't listen to with my kids around! :-)

They are a great band with a long list of songs. Several of their hits are here (Change, You, Far Behind, and my favorite, Cover Me), along with some lesser-known songs. There are also some different takes on the songs (always expected when live). The thing is, this is a REAL recorded show, from start to finish. So it's not as polished as some "concert" CDs, where they compile favorite out-takes from different shows. Also, while most live shows trump the recording, Candlebox is a band whose essence and powerful performance can't really be captured on plastic.

Popchips 9 Flavor Variety Pack, 0.8 Ounce (Pack of 24)
Popchips 9 Flavor Variety Pack, 0.8 Ounce (Pack of 24)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great variety and taste, December 3, 2013
I bought these as a somewhat healthy alternative to include in my sons lunchbox. If figured that any flavors he didn't like, I would eat. The variety is great and he LOVES them (has tried 5 so far). I also tried a bag and they are pretty tasty. If my son finds a flavor he loves better than the others, I'll try to order that one. Otherwise, I'll definitely be ordering another variety pack.

Dexter: The Final Season
Dexter: The Final Season
DVD ~ Michael C. Hall
Price: $14.49
155 used & new from $6.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Great until the final episode..., November 26, 2013
This review is from: Dexter: The Final Season (DVD)
This and Six Feet Under are two of my favorite series of all time. I bought this season as soon as it became available and started it with great anticipation. This season has a lot of twists and turns that are new for Dexter (his estrangement from his sister, etc.) and the character evolves more than in any other season. That being said, and without ruining it for those who haven't seen it yet, the final episode FLOPS. Like several other reviewers, I was extremely underwhelmed by the ending. On a positive note, there are a lot of special features.

Stumptown by Danner Men's Explorer Outdoor Boot,Brown,11 EE US
Stumptown by Danner Men's Explorer Outdoor Boot,Brown,11 EE US
Price: $220.11
9 used & new from $220.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy Hiking Boot, August 14, 2012
History: I researched hiking boots extensively before deciding on the Explorer. I've usually chosen Lowa boots (made in Germany) because of their reputation and the positive results I've gotten out of the 4-5 pairs I've owned. However, it's become increasingly important to me to support American businesses. After all, when enough people save a few dollars to buy something (usually of inferior quality) made in China, American businesses eventually go under.

That being said, it was still important that I get a quality, comfortable boot. I've been in the Army for over 20 years and have owned several pairs of Danner combat boots. Each one held up to the punishment that operations can dish out, still looking and feeling good years later. I even had several pairs re-soled. This also factored into my decision, and I narrowed the list down to the Explorer.

Quality: I've had the boots about a month now, and must say I disagree with the review that claimed they were uncomfortable (I believe he said that, paying this price, they should feel great right out of the box). It depends on what type of boot you prefer. If you prefer the tennis shoe type, with the more rounded outsoles, then this may feel uncomfortable at first. This is a sturdy BOOT; not an altered high-top sneaker. The sole feels indestructible, whereas the leather is a great combination of pliability and toughness. If you've had leather boots in the past, you'll be able to tell that they put a lot of work into these. The seams are tight and blend well with the leather. The eyelets are strong, with no sharp protrusions that will impact the leather. Even the laces they chose show that this is a superior boot. My only complaint is that the collar should be padded a bit more. It's great if you're wearing boot/hiking socks, but if you're just wearing white socks (like I did to work), it's less comfortable.

Performance: Last week, I visited the backcountry of the Colorado Rockies for about 4 days. The boot held up well traversing streams and occasional boggy areas, and my feet remained dry. The insides aired out quickly once we made camp each evening. The arch supports they included (easily removable) must have done a great job, because I had no issues with tender feet. Finally, it cleaned up well with little effort. You'd never be able to tell that it just returned from scraping on boulders and going 10+ trail miles per day.

Bottom Line: Not to sound cliche', but you get what you pay for. These boots were a great purchase. I've had natural and synthetic boots and, while each has its advantages, I prefer natural leather. This boot will take care of you as long as you take care of it (a reason I think many prefer the carefree nature of synthetic; no maintenance). Danner even has craftsmen that will refurbish the boots for you to make them as good as new. If the past month is any indication, I won't need to send these in for a long, long time.

Skagen Men's 233LTTNC Titanium Blue Dial Mesh Bracelet Watch
Skagen Men's 233LTTNC Titanium Blue Dial Mesh Bracelet Watch

4.0 out of 5 stars Slim, elegant watch, February 25, 2012
I recently received this watch as a birthday present from my girlfriend. I've never owned a Skagen, but my girlfriend knew I love watches and she really liked the titanium band on this model. I personally love the way it contrasts with the blue face.

I've not used it in or around water yet (I have other watches for that!), so I can't attest to it's water resistance. I can tell you that it keeps excellent time so far, and that its slim profile feels great on the wrist; I agree with the other review that said you sometimes forget it's there.

My one complaint is the clasp. It is a very secure system, but it does take some getting used to. I had to play around with the clasp for several minutes (like to figure things out on my own, without the manual) and found it bothersome the first few times I wore the watch. But otherwise, it's a great watch and I'd gladly recommend it.

Corcoran - Mens - 9 Inch Desert Combat Boot
Corcoran - Mens - 9 Inch Desert Combat Boot
Price: $51.99 - $207.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough, U.S.-made boots, October 11, 2011
I bought these boots while at Fort Lewis, getting ready for my first deployment to Iraq. I was dismayed to find that the PX and Clothing Sales only sold two U.S.-made boots: these and ONE model of Danners. If you don't think it matters where our boots are made, I refer you to some of our recent incidents with China (naval vessels, our air crew that was held for interrogation for days after their plane was forced down in international waters, etc.)! But I digress.

I wear a 10 1/2 wide, and a lot of boot makers don't make their "wides" wide enough. Not so with Corcoran and this model. Very comfortable, even with boot socks. The best aspect of these boots is that they require almost no break-in period. While they did become more comfortable over time, I never experienced any hot spots or blisters. They also hold up well to abuse, cleaning up nicely.

Bottom line: If you want to support American workers while supporting your country, this is the boot for you. But even if you don't care about that philosophy, compare these boots with any other desert boots, and I think you'll make the same choice I did. Mine are still going strong after two deployments.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3