Profile for KD > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 60

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

KD RSS Feed (Bay Area, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Skinomi® TechSkin - Apple iPhone 6 Screen Protector 4.7" + Full Body Skin Protector with Free Lifetime Replacement Warranty / Front & Back Premium HD Clear Film / Ultra High Definition Invisible and Anti-Bubble Crystal Shield - Retail Packaging
Offered by Skinomi
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars It works, but... it leaves fingerprints ..., October 6, 2014
It works, but... it leaves fingerprints. If you keep it in your pocket along with paper (such as cash), the edge of the paper may mess up the screen. This appears to be the case with these types of screen protectors.

The back coverdid not stay put. I contacted the seller and they sent out a replacement where the sides and top were separate. That applies easier, but I'm skeptical at how well it stays put over time.

Well, it didn't take long to find out. The back cover size is slight larger than the back. So the edge of it sticks out...eventually it will peel off. If you leave it with anythign resembling paper (cash for example), the friction will cause it to fall off. I hate to say it, but it's worthless.

Company has good customer service, but the curvature of the new Iphone 6 makes it difficult for these types of protector to apply.

ArmorSuit MilitaryShield - Apple iPhone 6 Screen Protector (4.7") Anti-Bubble Ultra HD - Extreme Clarity & Touch Responsive Shield with Lifetime Free Replacements
Offered by New Tech Accessories
Price: $19.95
2 used & new from $6.45

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, but... it leaves fingerprints ..., October 6, 2014

BoxWave iPhone 6 Case, BoxWave Almost Nothing iPhone 6 Case - Slim Hybrid Hard Clear iPhone 6 Case with TPU Bumper Rim - Over 10,000 Sold! (Crystal Clear)
Offered by BoxWave Corporation
Price: $5.28
2 used & new from $2.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, thin, and cheap. Works as a case. No complaints., October 6, 2014
I got it for a good price. It's thin, and it fits pretty well. I can't really complain as I got a good deal for it.

ASUSTOR Intel Atom 2.13GHz/1GB DDR3/2GbE/2eSATA/USB 3.0/4-Bay NAS Server (AS-604T)
Price: $506.98
8 used & new from $506.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal for a NAS and Plex Server, March 24, 2014
Having bought this at a good discount, this NAS delivers. I chose this over the 3 series which has a newer Atom processor with hardware transcoding built in. The only problem is that it doesn't work with Plex so essentially the hardware part is useless. The D2700 processor in this one also has hardware GPU that can do transcoding but Intel doesn't have Linux drivers for it. As you can see, the Atom processor has issues with transcoding due to insufficient software support no matter which one you go with.

The 604T is faster by 25% than the 3 series and it also has an upgradeable RAM slot. This unit comes with 1GB of RAM. Amazon sells the Crucial chip that works well with this unit to increase it to 3GB total (see my other review). This unit is relatively good value if you can get it at a discounted price. The OS is relatively mature now with full Plex support. Most video files are now x.264 so it is not necessary to get full 1080P transcoding support. Paying double the price for an i3 platform just to transcode 1080P doesn't make sense when you can just ensure all videos are in x.264 format in the first place. The atom processor has more than enough power to remux and direct stream multiple x.264 files. Keep it simple! There is absolutely no reason to build a PC or buy an expensive unit just to transcode 1080P when direct streaming works faster, easier, and simpler than transcoding!

Plex streams to these devices I have at home (1) Samsung Smart TV, (2) Roku 3, (3) Chromecast, (4) Ipads, Iphones, and Nexus. The system will take about 24 hours to initialize your RAID the first time for set up. I had a problem initially with the set up because I found out that using underscore in the password stops you from logging in but the firmware doesn't stop you from doing it! I could not log in after I set it up and had to reset the password. I only found out when changing the passwords from the ADM 2.1 GUI that it doesn't accept underscore. Asustor, fix this!

I almost went with a home built PC, but the point of a NAS is (1) low power, (2) online data migration, and (3) support. The low power usage will help you save around $30 a year in electricity. The online migration is useful because I start with 2 4TB drives and only add additional drives when I need it. When I run out of space, one additional drive will double my capacity once I switch to RAID 5. NAS with hotswappable drives make online migration or fixing a failed drive relatively painless. A regular PC does not support hot swap unless you pay extra for hardware RAID card. The last item is the biggie. A NAS is a place you absolutely need data integrity. If something goes wrong like your volume goes kaput, who do you turn to when you build your own PC? Yup, you're on your own. Data is more important than the hardware so you want that support to recover your volume when the proverbial S hits the fan. I read the Asustor forum and found that support was able to recover one guy's volume that disappeared from his NAS. Stuff happens and you don't want to be left crying about lost data because you went the DIY route.

Asustor, Synology, and QNAP all offer great support. Synology is the biggie in the NAS market, but their value proposition is terrible. I was able to purchase this unit at 2/3 the price of a comparable Synology or QNAP unit. I was able to set it up to backup all my data and stream videos from Plex Media Server. The GUI and installation is easy as they're all based off of Linux with AJAX user interface. I was able to GIT clone the version of the built-in Sickbeard to MrOrange version very quickly with support from the Asustor forum.

I'm very impressed at how far Asustor has improved since it started 3 years ago. If they are this good after three years, I expect to see vast improvements in the next few years. I have no problem with investing in a relatively new company since they are backed by Asus which is an excellent hardware company. I will post updates to this review as I learn more about this unit.

Crucial 2GB Single DDR3 1333 MT/s (PC3-10600) CL9 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Notebook Memory Module CT25664BF1339
Offered by CalvinNHobbs
Price: $21.50
2 used & new from $21.50

5.0 out of 5 stars works with Asustor 604T, March 19, 2014
I noticed that quite a few reviewers indicated this memory chip works with the QNAP NAS but no mention of the Asustor. Well, I'm happy to report that this one works with the Asustor 6 series NAS. There's no reason to purchase the expensive Asustor memory or one of their hard to find compatible no name Adata or Kingston brands.

System is solid running with 3GB RAM at 1/3 the price of the official RAM.

Tjernlund M-6 Inline Duct Booster Fan, Hydroponic Blower Heat Air Conditioning Vent Exhaust, 530 CFM, 6"
Offered by Professional Grade Products
Price: $87.95
3 used & new from $87.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb solution to a problem, January 30, 2014
I recently installed a new register in my family room open area. This area had an imbalance of 4 degrees from the sleeping areas. The company that installed the new register used flexible duct for the run. With 50 feet of flexible duct (not the best in transferring air) compounded with having to snake that duct around several columns, the result was a disaster. The area increased by 1 whopping degree!

So my next solution to the problem was to install a regular 240 CFM inline fan. Due to having not enough room, the fan was installed near the start of the duct run. It's not the most ideal location but that was the only choice I had. Well, suffice it to say, the result was a disaster (again). The fan had no effect on the air pressure whatsoever! Why is it that adding a 240 CFM gave me no improvements? Hmm...

At the end of my wits, I turned to the stronger centrifugal fans. There is this Tjernlund rated at 530 CFM and clones at 400 CFM. Needing as much air as possible, I chose the Tjernlund. Moreover, Tjernlund has a manufacturer website and instructions for the installation. Its not a difficult wiring job, but it's nice to know that a manufacturer support its products with instructions!

Well, what can I say? The result was not a disaster! For whatever reason, this 530 CFM fan pushed so much air that the register pressure felt about 5-8 times stronger than the 240 CFM fan which might as well been no fan at all. So to summarize, this fan pushes 5-8x more air than the other inline fan but is only rated at 2.2x the CFM. Something is wrong and someone is lying on their stats!

Since this fan was installed in the crawl space, the noise didn't bother me at all. It was about as noisy as the 240 CFM inline fan so it's actually not that loud. However, it's not quiet because air being moved around cannot be silent. I also didn't use a speed control as I needed as much force as possible. However, for short runs, this fan may be overkill without a speed control. Also, I took out the outlet plug that came with it and wired it straight to the auxiliary output on my Trane HVAC. This allowed the fan to turn on and off by call only and not stay on all the time. You do not need pressure monitor if you can hook it up to your HVAC fan control

It's not often that a product works as advertised! Highly recommended!

ASUS Dual-Band Wireless Router (RT-AC56U)
ASUS Dual-Band Wireless Router (RT-AC56U)
Price: $99.99
38 used & new from $87.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Will this be the beginning of the hybrid router/NAS movement?, July 31, 2013
I just set this up to replace an E3000 as the main router. The reason for doing so is that the 5GHZ radio on the E3000 is flaky and doesn't reach my master bedroom. The router is placed at the front of the house in one bedroom with my master bedroom on the other end of a 2000 sq ft house. It's not a large distance as the house is rectangular so it's 50 feet at most, but there are walls in between. The 5GHZ radio was an epic fail on the E3000.

I'm happy to report that this unit solves the issue of the 5GHZ signal death. The signal is now stronger than the 2.4Ghz signal of the E3000. I routinely receive full to half bars on my Ipad on the 5GHZ spectrum in my bedroom where I had none before. This means that I will not have to put money on the AC68U which I suspect will cost at least $50 more for the external antennas. Unless you have a gigantic house, there's no need to get its big brother. As far as I know, the only difference between this and the AC68U are the external antennas and the extra stream radio that requires an equivalent adapter to use. In other words, not worth it as you will be hard pressed to reach the theoretical 866 Mbps of this router.

The unit has 256MB RAM with dual core ARM A9 processors (similar to the earlier Ipads). I have to say that the web interface is much faster than what I was used to. Youtube no longer freezes when it stream (but I still need to test further). However, streaming 1080P video from my HTPC to my Samsung TV the video froze twice. I use the E3000 as a client bridge with its 2.4ghz radio to the AC56U, which then transmit that signal by 5GHZ radio to the TV. I will have to test some more because it should not be freezing at wireless N signal. I may switch out a different router other than the E3000 because I suspect it's not the AC56U that's causing the issue. The E3000 has always been flaky even with DD-WRT.

The RAM usage indicate only about 50MB on usage with 200MB free. With that kind of headroom, I hope that Plex Media Server finally offer up a version for routers. I believe that dual core 800MHZ CPU is now fast enough for routers to become a poor man's NAS (the Marvell of the low end NAS are basically faster clocked A9's). Yes, the router does come with its own DLNA and download software, but it's not good. I will be looking to replace download master with transmission when I have time.

This unit is basically the fastest consumer router on the market so far with full unlocked dual core and 256MB RAM. If it ever offers software package installs like the NAS units currently do, it could finally usher in the hybrid Router/NAS market. Do it, Asus!

I will update this review with issues and its reliability later as I continue to use it. For its main purpose of increasing range along with offering fast and reliable connections, it's a five star router.

Update 8/1/13: Well, I just realized that although AC is good enough for 1080P streaming, N is not. Since My TV is wireless N 5GZ, and not AC, I will instead be using a wired connection between the router and TV. I may have to buy another AC56U to create a media bridge if I turn the AC56U into a NAS... but that would be expensive. Which brings me to my next con. This router is great for the coverage but AC speed is useless if you don't have AC clients. Additionally, the ASUS is too expensive to be used as client bridge. I will be looking to the cheaper brands AC routers with DD-WRT support for use as client bridges.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2014 6:36 PM PDT

Samsung PN64F8500 64-Inch 1080p 600Hz 3D Smart Plasma HDTV (2013 Model)
Samsung PN64F8500 64-Inch 1080p 600Hz 3D Smart Plasma HDTV (2013 Model)
4 used & new from $3,794.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't wipe the smile off of my face, July 27, 2013
I did lots and lots of research before I settled on this TV. I am not the type of person who buy a TV only to find issues with it then do the old swapperoo with another one only to find another thing I dislike about it. I bought this only after very extensive research and due diligence.

What I look for in a good TV: great picture quality, great side viewing quality, accurate colors, bright and punchy whites, high contrast, black blacks, great SmartTV features, Netflix, media streaming, good enough input lag to play games, and as future proof as possible.

It looks like I'm asking a lot right? There couldn't possibly be a TV that fit all these criteria could there? Fortunately for me, there is!

When it comes to great picture quality and side viewing, LCD/LED TV's are quickly eliminated. Winner Plasma. That was quick! I absolutely hated the faded contrast from side viewing, uneven brightness, and graish blacks on the LCD/LED TVs. The problem with most Plasmas are that they look faded during the day. Some of the top modern plasmas have done fairly well in that area.

I narrowed my TV's down to the Samsung F8500 and the VT60/ZT60. I did comparisons of the TV's at a brick and mortar store and found that I'm drawn more toward the F8500 with each comparison. Every single reviewer out there claims "black blacks" as if that is the epitome of great picture quality. Do I buy a TV to stare at a black screen? I tried as hard as I could, but I just could not see the differences between the blacks of the ZT60 and the F8500 in a normal lit area. I'm sure in absolute darkness, I can probably see a difference. However, this TV will be my main TV in my living room with windows all around and 4 recess lights above it. I do not have a "man cave" like some lucky few out there.

Next comes the comparison of the whites and color production. In a normal viewing environment, there's no contest in my eyes. The almost LED-like brightness of the F8500 trumps the VT60/ZT60. The contrast, the pop, and the blinding whites (for a plasma) makes the picture jump out. The problem with most plasma is that the picture is usually washed out during the day. The F8500 seems to have solved this problem. The goal of many plasma makers were always to go as black as possible, but no one ever thought about going the other way--make whites as white as possible. Why is darkness more important than brightness? Why is a .002% difference in black level make one TV superior to the other when the other TV has 30% better whites and deeper contrasts? Am I going crazy here? I don't understand why the "experts" think that makes one TV "better" than the other as if black blacks is the single defining criteria for picture quality.

The SmartTV features of the F8500 seems to be better than the Panasonic as well. The F8500 has a built-in camera which allows for the use of Skype and gesture (something I don't use and think it's a gimmick). However, being able to video call on your TV is a pretty cool added feature. The camera on the Panasonic is an extra added cost. The F8500 offers HVEC (.265) which future proof it. This may not be important now as .265 is not wide spread, but once it's adopted, better quality streaming will be available through Netflix, Youtube, and home streaming. It's good to know that this future technology is available right now on the TV you purchase. The TV may produce great picture quality, but if you have a low quality stream, then the picture quality will be bad. Garbage in, garbage out.

The one thing that this has going against it is the input lag. This is the pitfall of the excellent Samsung video processing algorithm. I believe the VT and ZT has a slightly better input lag of 47ms. On PC mode, the F8500 averages around 53ms. This is not great, but it's absolutely playable and I don't notice much of a difference when I game. Another thing to consider is that when playing over the network, the 60ms lag for the screen is far faster than the 120-400ms ping lag for your packets going over the network. How often have you played a game and you swear up and down you shot the guy but missed and ended up dead? That's network lag spike. The biggest killer of your K/D ratio (besides your skill of course) is the spike in the network and not your TV. I think input lag is overblown unless you're playing over a LAN. In that case, a nice 24" LED monitor would be your best bet, not this beast of a plasma that you use for movies and sports.

CONS
- I don't like the remote and the sensitively of the touch pad. Often times I scroll down, and the thing goes left. What-The-F. I'm purchasing the keyboard for this TV to eliminate messing with the remote more than I have to.
- Speakers. Not a con for me as I don't use it. If I can afford to pay for this TV, I can afford an AVR with nice speakers or at least a decent soundbar.
- The finicky ARC port. I think this is due to the HDMI implementation rather than the TV itself. They need to let people configure how this works. I'm not sure who is to blame, the AVR or the TV. I basically use HDMI 3 (ARC) to output video from my AVR to my TV. However, when I turn on the Smart apps and Netflix, ARC should turn on and have the sound come out of the AVR automatically. It works, except whenever I turn on the TV, it automatically set my AVR to TV/CD instead of leaving it alone. I have to manually switch the input back to Cable/SAT. So in order to remedy this, I have to buy THREE new 15 foot HDMI cables (I run the cables through the wall). One goes in HDMI1 for output from AVR, one goes in HDMI 3 for return audio to AVR for TV apps, and then one goes from PS3 to HDMI 2 for PC mode (sound will go back out through HDMI3).

All in all, I cannot wipe the smile of my face every time I watch a movie on this TV. The video processing is astounding. Moving up from an older LN52A750, the picture quality is far more natural with much higher quality coming out of the same Netflix stream and satellite signal. Had the input lag made gaming unbearable, I would've knocked a star off this TV. However, since it doesn't bother me, this is absolutely a five star TV. In terms of features, picture quality, brightness, contrast, and blacks, there isn't a TV out there that's close.

Update 7/28: revised input lag from 60ms to 53ms for F8500 and 40 to 47ms for ZT60 as tested by CNET.

Update 8/19/13: The TV has performed flawlessly. I watch NFL football and the TV looks great during the day which is the majority of my viewing (50% sports, 30% movies, 20% gaming). This is the perfect TV for sports watching as black level doesn't even come into the equation. I also watch Oblivion at night and the black level is excellent (lots of dark scenes). The quality is superb.

Image Retention: There was IR when I watched NFL network initially. The IR (bar at bottom) disappeared within 5 sec after I changed the channel. That was the only time I saw IR. After 30 days of using the TV, I no longer see IR. I can only assume that this plasma is good at limiting IR after the initial break in period.

Video games: The difference between 30ms and 53ms is 2/100 of a second. It's up to you if it affects you. To me, it's negligible.

Noise: No plasma high pitch sound that I can hear.

Tip: I deleted the STB from the TV set up. It's useless and causes the "STB is not powered on message." The guide from the TV is useless because (1) it always start at channel 2, and (2) it doesn't have all the channel information. If you delete the STB, the SmartTV button takes you immediately to apps instead of the guide which is functionality useless and redundant. Since the TV takes 8 sec to power on, putting in a 10 sec delay from the Harmony remote will allow you to use activity to always put the TV and receiver to the correct input, thus overriding the finicky CEC control.

Also, if you use an AVR, set the sound delay to 100ms normally. The sound is synched properly if you use the TV speakers.

Update 11/20/13: I got a PS4 connected with PC mode and games play perfectly fine. Resogun is a reflex game and I haven't had any lag deaths so I believe this lag hype is overblown. Also, since I have to connect the PS4 to the TV and have the sound return via ARC, it downmixes to stereo even with 5.1 sound! It's a legality issue that does not allow the TV to pass through 5.1 sound via ARC. I will admit defeat and will turn off ARC and use an optical cable instead in order to get Digital 5.1 sound from Netflix and PS4 passthrough back to my AVR. ARC is effectively useless for those with a AVR set up. This will also free up the annoying automatic input change. I recommend just not using ARC altogether as it's broken. This is not a Samsung issue but an ARC issue and affects all manufacturer.

Also, Netflix recently updated its Netflix app for many set top boxes. The app on this TV is not updated yet, but the TV should support it as Smart Apps are all upgradeable. I will update this review when Samsung updates the Netflix app. Update: Sure enough, the app is now updated. This TV so far is future proof!

Update 3/14/14:

If you want to go directly to the Smart Apps screen when you hit the Smart Hub button instead of the useless upcoming shows screen, you can do so by going back to the Set Up menu. Menu -> System -> Set Up. Go to the end where you are asked to enter your TV provider and Zip code. Enter your zip code then Select "My Provider's not here" instead of your normal broadcast location. This will eliminate the shows guide when you hit SmartHub and take you directly to your Smart apps!

Update 12/18/14:

I just recently upgraded my receiver to a 2013 Yamaha, ARC works perfectly now! I no longer have to use the optical cable to get around the stupidity of CEC. I was able to set the TV to anynet+ and the receiver to never auto switch inputs. No more fighting the technology! The optical cable is finally going away, another relic of the past put to pasture.
Comment Comments (49) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2014 1:03 PM PST

ecobee Smart Si Thermostat 2 Heat-2 Cool with Full Color NON-Touch Screen
ecobee Smart Si Thermostat 2 Heat-2 Cool with Full Color NON-Touch Screen
Price: $179.25
11 used & new from $130.51

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to install and even easier to set up, June 4, 2013
I moved from a Honeywell non-Internet 7 day Thermostat to this one. My primary objective was not to save money, but to have full control of the thermostat from anywhere with my smart phone as well as the ease of programming and adjustment. I researched both this and the Nest, and as a gadget enthusiast, I prefer a device that offers functionality that does what I want rather than do what it thinks I want. I don't want an AI thermostat because when the AI is wrong, it can be spectacularly wrong as noted by many Nest reviewers.

I chose this over it's bigger brother due to the ease of installation. Other than the common wire, which I easily added because I had an existing unused wire in the wall already, the install was no harder than any other regular thermostat. This device has a nice screen with easy menu adjustments unlike the original Honeywell I had which didn't even offer a temperature swing mode! That missing feature drove me crazy!

There's a roundabout way to set temperature swing in the Honeywell, but the cycle feature forces the system to always turn on so many cycle per hour. If the temperature stays within the temperature swing I set, the system should stay off. With the Honeywell, the system turns on and off more often than it has to because it wants to cycle so many times per hour. Another thing I hated was that in order to go into its set up modes, I had to learn which buttons combination for the three finger salute to go into set up and and then look up the arcane code in the manual to make sense of it because a three digit code is unreadable to normal humans. Everything is in English and readable in the Ecobee.

Setting up the 7 day schedule couldn't be easier. Using a web browser, I just click and drag the time slots I want and select awake, away, home, or sleep. I then set what temperature of heat and cold for each of those events. It takes me 60 seconds to set the combination I need which consists of 4 normal work days, and 3 regular home days. If you know how to use Excel, then setting the schedule is a cinch. I didn't even bother attempting this with the buttons on the unit. No point in doing things the hard way.

What I love about it is that if I know I will be away from home for a long time on my normal days home, I just pull up my phone and set quick save which automatically sets the temperature up or down by 4 degrees. Another useful feature is that I can always tell what the internal temperature for the inside of my house is thanks to the phone app. There's also a reporting feature that I haven't gotten into yet since it only has one month's worth of data which isn't very useful at the moment.

The only cons I have against this device is it looks too much like a toy. They should've put some industrial design thoughts into this device. I highly recommend this thermostat as it's very easy to install and even easier to program and operate.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 12, 2013 6:47 PM PDT

Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven with Element IQ
Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven with Element IQ
Price: $249.95
32 used & new from $199.46

3.0 out of 5 stars Dead after 5 months, May 25, 2013
I received this as a gift for Christmas. 5 months later the toaster died, no light or LCD or anything. My previous toaster that cost $40 lasted forever. Why are they charging $250 for something with such horrible quality control? Looking through other reviews it seems that dying after the warranty period is a 'feature' of this toaster. I will see if they will fix this and how quickly since this is still under the warranty period.

Update: I have added two stars for the great customer service. I received a brand new replacement one and a half week after I shipped the original back to them (prepaid by Breville). Nevertheless, I'm not confident about how long this expensive toaster oven will last. I hope the last one dying on us was an exception rather than the rule. Based on the other reviewers and my own experience, I'm not too optimistic.

This is a great toaster when it works. For the price, it should last at least five years, not five months!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2013 12:46 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6