Profile for K. Chua > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 29

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Chua "KChua" RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Oakley Men's Flak Jacket Iridium Polarized Asian Fit Sunglasses,Grey Frame/Black Lens,one size
Price: $204.72
4 used & new from $200.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional fit, February 23, 2014
I have a Half Jacket 2.0 XLJ (regular), Radar (regular), and this Flak jacket (Asian Fit). And yes, I'm an Asian and I've tried most if not all Oakley models. I noticed that my face cannot accommodate any Oakley other than these models. But even amongst these models, there is a difference between the Asian fit and regular fit. The Asian fit is slightly wider on the temple, and a little flatter in front.

This Flak jacket has the best fit and great visibility for peripheral vision. An added bonus is I can have prescriptive lenses fitted on them.

Sugoi Sonic Tri Tank
Sugoi Sonic Tri Tank
Price: $59.00 - $77.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite small, but good material, August 3, 2013
This review is from: Sugoi Sonic Tri Tank (Sports)
Fabric quality is high, looks great but front seams in front made it less comfortable.

Size: This is a tri top, so be prepared it's has snug fit on body. I'm 5'9" about 165lb, and usually get L for comfort, and M for snug fit. I bought XL in this case, and it's about similar to a M fit for most athletic wear I bought.

TomTom Multi-Sport GPS Watch (Grey)
TomTom Multi-Sport GPS Watch (Grey)
Offered by Media Reload
Price: $137.95
28 used & new from $137.57

3.0 out of 5 stars Great potential, need to improve on firmware and software, July 20, 2013
This review is last updated Feb 15, 2014 (firmware 1.6.12)

TomTom has refined many existing features (e.g. Cycle) and introduced new ones (e.g. Interval, Stopwatch). I am rewriting this review as many of the issues has been addressed.

If there's one thing they need to address, it's SWIM. The swim feature works better in a smaller pool (e.g. 25yards). For an Olympic size pool, it often over counts the length, which throws off the distance and speed. I've been wearing two watches to swim every time since firmware 1.6.12, and while my Garmin Swim sometimes may add an extra one length after about 10, my TomTom watch would show as much as 16 instead of 10. If this is fixed, I'd gladly feel it deserves a 4 star.

==================
Background:
I'm training for Triathlon and have used the Garmin 910XT (borrowed), and Garmin Swim (owned). Few minutes after I placed my order for 910xt, I learned about this TomTom watch. I canceled the order and eagerly waited for the Tomtom. Garmin 910xt is currently the king of Tri watch, but at twice the price - 399! (It was offering at 299 in May'13. Watch only). While it's unfair to expect this watch to be as capable, it has LOTS OF POTENTIAL though if the TomTom programmers can fix some stuff.

Great:
======
Watch itself - THE HARDWARE IS THE BEST THING. It is Slim and light. This is critical for a sports watch. 910xt is smaller than 310xt but its still bulky and heavy for my taste. You feel it when you're swimming and running, not just the weight but the water and wind resistance. TomTomMS feels very comfortable and effortless when I swing my arms in water or running. I've used it on wetsuit and on bare wrist, and both are fine. Unlike the Garmin 910xt's quick release, which many has complained it may drop into the sea, the TomTom watch is encased in the strap in a smart way that won't dislodge.

Setup: I have the Wahoo Bluetoothsmart Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) as well as the Speed/Cadence (C/S) monitor. Please note that this watch cannot pair with ANT+ devices. Connecting to the HRM and C/S was a breeze. Took less than a minute. Once set up, activating it for run and bike was also very fast (first time 15 sec, subsequent was 3-5sec). After the activity is recorded by the watch, you need to download to PC (via USB connector) and upload to website.

Quite good:
=======
Watch Display/interface - Simple interface and each sports (Swim, Bike, Run, Treadmill) allow you to choose what metric to see on top left and right fields (small but visible). The small screen is a trade off I'm willing to take to have a small slim watch. Garmin 910XT is too bug and bulky. At night, you tap the screen to activate backlight.

Not v good:
======
Bike Latch - Watch comes with a bike latch that allows you to snap the watch onto the bike's handlebar. This is useful but does not fit all handlebar. Once installed, the watch can hook on the handlebar quickly. 8/28 update: My bike latch BROKE after 1mth (I took it on/off about 5 times. DISAPPOINTED!) See picture. The idea is good but there are some potential stress points that weakens with repeated use.

Unacceptable:
============
TomTom's Website - to which the data is uploaded to is horrible. You can't edit and delete activities. In a specific review website, TomTom touted Training views that provide detailed analysis, but these features was never brought to fruition.

Workaround: Perhaps thinking they shouldn't waste time to on their own website, TomTom allow you to generate files of tcx, gpx, fit, that allows you to upload directly to MapYourRun/Ride/Fitness, RunKeeper, Training Peak and Strava. One thing missing though is THESE WEBSITES DO NOT HAVE STRONG SWIM analytics unlike Garmin.

If I were to rate:
Watch hardware 9/10 - the watch itself is superbly design. Kudos to the team! The designer/engineer even build the GPS chip inside the control pad, which reduces bulk on the actual watch. It's light, slim and doesn't drop out from the strap (unlike 910XT)

Watch firmware 6/10 - this watch can really compete with 910XT if it does the following:
a. fixes the accidental stop issue mentioned above (FIXED by firmware 1.5.1)
b. add multi-sport mode (currently it only tracks swim, bike, ride as separate activities
c. add interval training mode (Added in firmware 1.4.1)
d. add OPEN WATER SWIM (believe it or not, I actually tracked my ocean swim with this watch but under RUN mode! I suspect using SWIM mode will turn off GPS because that's for lap swim at pool)

PC software (for Mac) 7/10
This is the software you download into your PC (I use it on Mac) and downloads data to your PC or upload to internet. This software was glitchy but stability is improved. Previously, this software doesn't allow you to re-export files but now you can. It also allows you to export to different formats and websites. However, it appears the websites are not interpreting the data accurately and TomTom is finetuning this.

Internet website (MySport.TomTom.com) 2/10
This is a disgrace. Interface is bad. Editing is impossible. Waste of time to even comment on it! I give it two points for good attempt in linking the data on map, and allowing us to use other websites. TomTom team should perhaps partner with MapYourRun/Fitness or Strava and rebrand that site for TomTom users. I won't even compare with Garmin Connect. (Pls note that on another website, DCRainmaker, there's a mock up of what TomTom aspire their website to look like. But as of Sep 2013, after this watch is selling for more than 2 months, the actual website is NOTHING like what's shown on DCRainmaker. It only has one tab instead of 3)

SWIM 3/10
- At this point, I'm still DISAPPOINTED by the sensor's accuracy or it's ability to track laps and strokes. It works less than half the time. Since the many updates, the watch has gone from insensitive to oversensitive and back and forth few times. Firmware 1.5.1 sometimes refuses to activate the count, firmware 1.6.1 counts 16 for 10 lengths I swam. These days, I used both Garmin Swim and TomTom for my swim. TT watch is capable of several metrics - e.g. duration, lengths, strokes per lap, SWOLF, but these metrics while appearing on watch CANNOT be displayed on the website. It's competitor, Garmin 910xt and Garmin Swim, capture these and when uploaded to Garmin website allows you to analyze how your stroke and efficiency vary with time. With TomTom, you can only see speed vs distance. If you try uploading to other sites, these metrics like SWOLF, stroke per lap cannot be interpreted by RunKeeper, MayMyFitness, nor Strava. Also, as mentioned above, the Swim accelerometer somtimes "sticks" and shows ZERO strokes and ZERO length despite completing many laps.

See below for all the complaints on Swim: [...] (Too bad Amazon doesn't allow me to post the link but you can find it on TomTom forum for users.)

RUN 8/10
- this is the simplest, and fortunately, it didn't disappoint much. I had my HRM connected and it recorded distance through GPS, and speed was calculated via GPS. (On 7/20 ocean swim, I actually tried using RUN mode for my ocean swim. What's interesting is, I could track my swim path with this. The GPS is quite strong indeed, perhaps a saving grace for this watch.)

CYCLE 8/10
- The cycle feature has been refined. It takes about 30 seconds to locate your position and you're ready to go. Previous to Firmware 1.4.1, if you have bluetooth cadence/speed sensor on, the speed will be calculated based on the tire circumference, and when you lose connection (sometimes) with your watch, you lose speed info. This firmware appears to address that by taking advantage of BOTH GPS signal and speed sensor. Which is neat!

TREADMILL 3/10
- I have no luck with this function... Despite seemingly having a calibration feature after the run, it does not appear to do anything to make the reading more accurate. While on treadmill, I set the pace at 8min/mile. But the watch would show 6min/mile or so, and the calculated distance would be excessive. After you stop the Treadmill activity, it asked if you'd like to Calibrate. You get to adjust the distance (as shown on the treadmill). I tried running again, and this time, it's even worst. I must admit I don't use this feature much and on prior firmware releases, there were times where it seems about 10-20% off. I'm not sure if I were lucky then.

====================
Below are my previous accounts to show the problems and things solved by TomTom over the past few months. I would give TomTom a lot of credit for resolving these... but again, shouldn't these be fixed before launching the watch?

7/21 update:
Managed to download my data from my ocean swim, ride and run. I'm giving this watch a 4 star rating is because I know the watch firmware and the PC connection software can be fixed and improved. I'm sure the TomTom team is trying their best to fix these. Pls continue to do so and this watch can be 5 stars!!!

7/24 update:
I've used this watch for a full triathlon workout (ocean swim, bike ride and run) on 7/20, lap swims on 7/22 and BRIC workout on 7/23. I'm dropping this review from 4 to 3 stars due to the shortcomings below. The watch requires you to set the length per lap in meters but in US, most pools are 25yards. You have to convert to 22.86m and need to round up or down since it stores no decimal places. TomTom should allow users to input either in yard or meters! (This issue was subsequently fixed)

8/28 update:
Tested Firmware 1.3.1. Cycling at low cadence improved and no longer intermittently drop to zero (Kudos!). Swim seems to improve slightly but still problematic. Good thing is we can now input in yard and not just meters. But beware, the setting is global. So, if you set to meters and enter pool length in meters, your run will appear in meters/km as well. Not ideal but can't be too picky.

9/26 update:
- SWIM: After many more swims - short and long course, the swim function has improved but remains problematic for long course (50m). It sometimes gives zero after one length, and sometimes gives me 3 lengths when I only completed one. I don't have this problem with my Garmin Swim. I've almost given up on this watch to track swim! Until the next firmware comes along.

- CYCLE: With the Cadence/Speed sensor: TomTom listened to the problems and IMPROVED IT! Cadence intermittently showing zero at cadence below 60rpm. Even though the sensor may not detect a revolution at certain 1 second interval, there should be some logic to smooth it out a little. This problem has been resolved and the reading is now smooth.

11/01 update (Tested Firmware 1.4.1)
- SWIM: Watch vibrates when each lap is completed. THIS IS GREAT because it tells you your lap is detected! I need not look at the watch while swimming to check that. (Too bad this feature was removed when firmware 1.5.1 was introduced.)

- CYCLE: previous to this, when you have bluetooth cadence/speed sensor on, the speed will be calculated based on the tire circumference, and when you lose connection (sometimes) with your monitor, you lose speed info. This firmware appears to address that by taking advantage of BOTH GPS signal and speed sensor. (Original Problem: When my Cadence/Speed sensor lost connection to the watch, lost SPEED and DISTANCE altogether. With the new firmware, you'll lose Cadence input, but it appears you continue to get speed and distance info like it should provided by GPS sensor.)

11/12 update (Tested Firmware 1.5.1)
- STOPWATCH: This is a NEW feature. My original review said it's weird to have a sports watch without stopwatch, and I'm glad TomTom introduced it. I'm happy it finally has STOP WATCH standalone function, and I don't need to enter cycling, running or swim as a workaround. This is useful for exercise such as plank, in between sets.

- Accidental stop/pause: The watch was prone to accidental pause/stop but now, you have to keep it depressed 2 seconds to pause and same for stop. I suggested TomTom to provide a warning message before you stop the tracking. Or to pause the activity you're tracking, you click Left button. To Stop, you click Left button again. Too often I accidentally click twice (some times there's a short lag and think it didn't detect your first click), and it end that activity and stops the tracking.

- SWIM: The swim continues to be problematic and inconsistent. When you start the watch, the "Duration" clock shows time elapsed. But the accelerometer appears not to detect a lap even after the kick-off. No matter how hard I kick, the "Length", "Distance", "Strokes", "SWOLF" remains ZERO, even after several laps. Currently, I wear two watches (Garmin Swim and TomTom) and at the end of 10 laps, Garmin showed 10, and TomTom showed zero. I stopped and retested and still the same. In firmware 1.4.1, the vibration/buzz after each lap will tell me it detected a lap. Now, with 1.5.1, this vibration is removed, I have to keep looking at my watch while swimming to see if TomTom watch detects my completed lap, and it mostly did not.
8/28 update (Tested Firmware 1.3.1)

====

[...]
Comment Comments (18) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2014 10:00 AM PST

Pearl Izumi Men's Elite Intercool Tri Short Long
Pearl Izumi Men's Elite Intercool Tri Short Long
Offered by CYCLE4LESS
Price: $67.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality Tri shorts, May 26, 2013
Pearl izumi has several types of Tri shorts. Quest, Select and Elite and Pro. This as you imagine is the second highest range. I'm 5'10" and about 170lb, and I bought L as I like I longer. Meets my needs and it does not slip up or down due to silicone at the end of the shorts.

However pls note that this is a Tri shorts and you're not getting a lot of padding or cushion. Else it'd be very heavy during the swim. This is by design and by no means reflect poor quality from PI. It sits lower on my waist below my belly button as I like. Overall very comfy and as a result I bought another one.

Get it at sale and it could be as low as below $40 at times.

Hope this helps.

Swimming Competition Nose Clip
Swimming Competition Nose Clip
Offered by icegene
Price: $5.98
2 used & new from $0.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the plastic ones, April 15, 2013
I've tried several nose clips but I realize everyone's nose shape differently and therefore one that suit one person may not suit the other. With the plastic/rubber nose clips, it seems to hold up when you're on land but when my face is wet while swimming the nose clips just slips out. With this metal/rubber one, you can adjust it and shape it to some extend to ensure a good hold. I took off one star because the round part of the exposed metal is too low for me. As such, it isn't very comfortable and will add a pressure mark and discomfort on the bridge of my nose.

Long Floating Fin 11-13 Black/Navy
Long Floating Fin 11-13 Black/Navy
Price: $24.95
9 used & new from $17.71

3.0 out of 5 stars Good fin but bad fit. Blisters after few swims., April 15, 2013
This review is from: FINIS Floating Fins (Sports)
About me: I swim 3-4 times a week and use fins as part of the drill...

Sizing this fins can be challenging and hit or miss depending on your feet shape and length. So, beware. I wasn't expecting it to fit like a sports shoe especially given the size range but I thought I point out the shape and length of the slot did not fit me at all.

Size: I wear shoes of size US 9. So, I bought 9-11 thinking it'd be good considering many reviewers recommending you to buy one size larger. But when I received it, I had to put quite a lot of force to squeeze my foot into each fins.

Shape of the slot - Note that most feet is wider at the toes than heel, but the shape of the slot you wear into widens too little at the front. So, there's a tight squeeze at the toe area. When I try to stand up, the front part of my foot is very tight to the extent of being painful and you can't walk even few steps. I know the fins are not used for walking, so that's fine but I didn't expect it'd be painful. So now, I only put on the fins in the water.

Length of slot - While the back part around my ankle has a snug fit, my toes protruded out quite a bit. When you stand up on land, it doesn't matter because the traction from the rubber prevents your feet from moving much. But when you're in water, the water allows your feet to move forward somewhat and as result my toes protrude even further out to the extent there's abrasion above my toes.

Thinking I bought the wrong size, I bought another larger one 11-13. But guess what? The length is ok, but now, the cavity is a little too big and my foot can move inside and there is no snug around my ankle. I can still swim with it but too loose.

As a fin, it works well and offers great flexibility and propulsion. Unfortunately, the fit may not suit everyone.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2013 12:21 PM PDT

Mastering the Nikon D800
Mastering the Nikon D800
by Darrell Young
Price: $26.40
74 used & new from $19.60

5.0 out of 5 stars INVALUABLE resource on D800, Must-have Companion!, August 29, 2012
I don't need a basic book to teach me the functions of the D800 or what button to press. The very reason you are reading this is likely because you're an advance photographer (hence D800) who already know typical functions of an SLR, but you want to know...
A) how to do it frequently used capture/review features more efficiently
B) how to take full advantage of this camera's advances features
C) what else is not covered in the manual that you need to know
And I must say this book satisfied the above! It also explains WHY some of these functions are there (helps me understand how other photographer works)

I bought this book at pre-order when no previews were available. When I first opened and flipped through, I wasn't very impressed as it looked more like a plain textbook with some images on each page. No fancy graphics, arrows nor call out boxes like some instructional books. But that's where I'm wrong and just judging a book by it's cover and initial looks.

As I read on, here's what impresses me:
1. Not just a camera manual - I don't need another camera manual. In addition to telling you what each button does, it also explain why it's for
2. "Settings Recommendation" - At end of each section, author describes what he chose, and for what scenario (e.g sports, parties, commercial etc)
3. Non-documented Nikon features - There are few e.g. how clicking an ISO after Auto ISO actually sets the minimum ISO and help you create a min-max ISO range.
4. Explanation of some advance features such as: Banks, Custom modes, wireless flash control, ADL bracketing, various focusing settings
5. Explanation of how the camera will behave (e.g. will focus be slower if you use the Lock, effect of lens movement on AF)

The D800 is a great camera with many features, and despite owning it for more than 6mths, there are so much more I didn't know. And this book really helps!

(There's much more to list above, and I learn much more each page I flipped through this book. If not for this book, I would have spent lots of time doing trial and errors to find out.)

I hope this review is helpful to you!

Master Lock 4688D TSA Accepted Cable Luggage Lock in Assorted Colors, 1-Pack
Master Lock 4688D TSA Accepted Cable Luggage Lock in Assorted Colors, 1-Pack
Price: $6.99
30 used & new from $6.18

1.0 out of 5 stars Cable too long, Gone and cut-off after first use!, July 7, 2012
I travel a lot - about once or twice a month - international and domestic. I've saw some good reviews and bought one of these... Bad choice!

1. The cable is soft/flexible - using one hand to thread through zipper is tougher than rigid ones
2. The cable is too looong - which means the lock dangles and susceptible to jamming the belts
3. Is it really TSA approved? - Not sure because it disappeared after my first use... worse - my zipper broke apart

During my first use - at LA or Orlando airport, the one of my zipper broke off... and the baggage people said:
- the lock could have jammed the belt
- TSA could have cut it (but it's TSA approved?)
- my zipper showed signs of bend and strain, and cut (which leads me to believe the lock was jammed and caused the zipper stretched, and then cut by someone).

B+W 77mm Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Coating (010M)
B+W 77mm Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Coating (010M)
Price: $66.63
24 used & new from $45.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Compare XS-Pro with Nano vs Non-XS-Pro, July 4, 2012
I now own this filters (77mm) as well as two that has XS-Pro and nano coating B+W 77mm XS-Pro Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating (010M). I would recommend going for the XS-Pro instead of this. After comparing the two types of B+W UV filters I decided buy the XS-Pro due to the following:

1. It's slightly thinner (so it does not cause vignetting even with my 28mm lens)
2. It's nano coating is useful... it is very easy to clean
3. It allows filter to be on it unlike some ultra thin filters

How I tested both types of filters? Sorry to be crude but I put finger prints all over the filter, and some saliva to simulate real time dirt/oily fingers and water. Cleaning the filter with tissue paper or cotton cloth (instead of lens cloth). It took me about 10 seconds to wipe clean the XS-Pro, and took me almost a minute to clean the Non-XS-Pro and still have some murkiness on it. When out in the field, I think this is important.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 26, 2013 7:36 AM PST

B+W 77mm XS-Pro Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating (010M)
B+W 77mm XS-Pro Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating (010M)
Price: Click here to see our price
7 used & new from $55.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Compare XS-Pro with Nano vs Non-XS-Pro, July 4, 2012
I now own two of these filters (77mm and 67mm), and one non XS-Pro that has no nano coating B+W 77mm Clear UV Haze with Multi-Resistant Coating (010M). I would recommend going for this one. After comparing the two types of B+W UV filters I decided to bite the bullet and pay the substantial premium and wanted my third filter to be XS-Pro.

Bottomline: Despite higher cost, I would recommend buying this XS-Pro filter because:

2. It's nano coating is useful... it is very easy to clean
3. It allows filter to be on it unlike some ultra thin filters

How I tested it? Sorry to be crude but I put finger prints all over the filter, and some saliva to simulate real time dirt/oily fingers and water. Cleaning the filter with tissue paper or cotton cloth (instead of lens cloth). It took me about 10 seconds to wipe clean the XS-Pro, and took me almost a minute to clean the Non-XS-Pro and still have some murkiness on it. When out in the field, I think this is important.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2014 5:40 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3