Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Learn more
Profile for K. Chua > Reviews

Browse

K. Chua's Profile

Customer Reviews: 32

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. Chua "KChua" RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
2x Vikuiti CV8 Screen Protector for Garmin Forerunner 920 XT, 100% accurately fitting - high adhesiveness - ultra clear and highly adhesive - scratch-resistant
Offered by FairPrices-24
Price: $12.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fit, but apply carefully, March 18, 2015
I bought this directly through their website. Slightly disappointed that the product was sent in normal soft envelop and got bent during delivery. The film itself is fairly thick, but difficult to apply. When you tear the backing off to expose the sticky part of the film, don't stop halfway, otherwise, you'll get a line on the film itself, which didn't look good after it's applied. In my first attempt, I had that line, and bubbles that I couldn't remove. I tore it off and used a new film after I learned my lesson. Once applied properly, it fits really well, and doesn't come off despite the swimming and all the beating I gave it. Pls also note it's very difficult to peel it off once applied.

Garmin Forerunner 920XT White/Red Watch With HRM-Run
Garmin Forerunner 920XT White/Red Watch With HRM-Run
Offered by SAVINGS TECH
Price: $449.99
34 used & new from $449.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent multisports watch! And comparing Garmin 920xt vs Polar v800?, December 10, 2014
I love triathlon as a sport, and wanted a device to track my training progress, and more importantly help me improve. I typically research extensively before buying any fitness devices and try comparing very many different models. Specifically in this category, I've used Garmin Forerunner 910XT GPS-Enabled Sport Watch, Garmin Swim Watch with Garmin Connect and TomTom Multi-Sport GPS Watch (Grey). To know how good/bad a product is, you've got to compare it with its competitors in the same category. Both Garmin and Polar are leaders in fitness tracking devices/watches. Polar announced in 1/2014 (started selling in 6/2014) the Polar V800 GPS Sports Watch w/ Activity Tracker & Heart Rate Monitor. Garmin announced in 10/2014 (started selling in 11/2014) the Garmin Forerunner 920XT White/Red Watch With HRM-Run. Both about five hundred bucks, and I was waiting for someone to make a clear comparison between these two great watches, but no one did. So, I got both and tried them out myself.

Here's my take on Garmin 920xt (and some comparison with the Polar v800):

Appearance/Look - 3.5/5. I work in an office environment with formal and business casual attire. The white 920xt is wider on my wrist, little distracting and has a plasticky look. I didn't pick the black/blue because it looks like a late 80's Casio watch Casio F91W-1 Classic Resin Strap Digital Sport Watch. The v800 is more like a regular watch, and the bright blue band that I have is eye catching but still doesn't attract curious eyes as compared to my 920xt.

Screen - 4/5. By screen I'm rating the ability to see the metrics and how clear it is. I love the fact you can select 4-5 screens for each activity (swim, bike run etc), and within each screen you can choose layout of 1, 2, 3 or 4 fields. The reason I didn't give 5 is because the screen is relatively clear but contrast could be better. The text is generally white on black background (on less you're on a rest timer, where it flips to the inverse with black text on white background). Don't get too excited about the color screen, as the color looks washed but you can still tell between a blue vs red vs green. As a comparison, v800 has a sharper screen and slightly higher contrast but it has no color. However, even though the screen size of v800 is same as 920xt, the fields are cramped and it can only be customized via a PC on their website.

Comfort/ergonomics 4/5 - I have a narrow wrist, and I would have thought that the wider watch will be difficult to fit or uncomfortable. But to the contrary, it's great. The watch is light and the strap is soft and can fit flushed to the sides of my wrist. The v800's watch body connects with a stiffer strap and it is heavier (81g) compared to 920xt (62g). After wearing both for several weeks, I had chaffing on my wrist with the v800 but surprising nothing with 920xt.

GPS - 5/5. GPS pickup is very fast (like 2-5 seconds) and VERY ACCURATE. And the same is to be said with the v800. I ran (left hand 920, right hand v800) and both registered exactly 4.31 miles. Both picked up the nuances when I u-turn (cross the road and return from the other side of a 2 lane road.). I also tried running same direction and switching from one left side of the road (fortunately no cars), and I ran diagonally across the road. Both watches picked up that same spot when I did that. Pretty amazing. And running under lots of tall trees.

Connectivity (ANT+) - 5/5/ Note that this watch connects to HRM, Power, Speed/Cadence sensors that are ANT+ compliant only. It does not support sensors that connects via bluetooth! This in part is because Garmin is a major stakeholder of the ANT+ protocol and as such I believe it wants to continue to earn revenue from ANT+ sensors that manufacturers pay a royalty to. However, other than bikers, there are less and less people using such protocol. Having said that, I'll give it to Garmin that the connectivity to ANT+ devices are often very reliable and quick (within 5 seconds). No need to fiddle and fumble like I sometimes did in the past with Bluetooth sensors.

Connectivity (Bluetooth) - 2/5. Even thought the watch supports bluetooth connectivity, it's only used for connecting to smartphones. It will NOT allow you to connect to bluetooth smart or BLE compatible sensors. This is a bummer for me because I have invested on several of such sensors. The other reason I score low for this is because once the bluetooth connection disconnects (e.g. your phone is too far from watch), it does not re-establish connection easily. You have to scroll and manually reconnect it.

Connectivity (Wifi) - 3/5. In theory, this works well and when I return home to the preferred network I set on the watch, it would upload automatically and transfer my training that day to the Connect.garmin.com website. However, I have not been so fortunate. I usually don't get the wifi to connect automatically when I reach home, let alone auto upload. I often have to mannually scroll to wifi settings and force it to connect and despite that, I sometimes get an error trying to connect to my home wifi. Also, pls note that the wifi network has to be set via the computer through the Garmin Express desktop program. So, if you're out traveling and do not have your PC loaded with the Garmin Express, you cannot program the watch to connect to public wifi.

Altitude - 5/5. The barometric sensor detects air pressure and lets you know the altitude. I've recently brought this watch to Mammoth and June Mountain to snowboard. And I'll turn on the watch to see the altitude and try to match it with the markers along the way. And yes, at each 1000 ft marks from 4000 to 7000, it's about 50 to 100ft off. That's actually at most 2.5% off! I brought to it the ski slopes, up and down ski lifts at between 8000 to 10000 ft, it was about 1 to 2% off. That's pretty darn good!

Swim (Pool) - 5/5. I felt that pool swim is one of the toughest to get right in multi sports watch. The watch firmware algorithm has to interpret the accelerometer when you turn or complete a length. PLS note that it is based on the number of lengths swam multiplied by the pool length you set that the watch calculates the total distance. I love the 920xt when it comes to this activity. And just like the Garmin Swim (introduced later than the Garmin 910xt), the watch is very accurate. In my 2000 yard swim (80 x 25 yard pool), the 920xt did not miss or over count a single length! I also tried doing breast strokes in some lengths and freestyle and amazingly, it was able to detect all correctly. The v800 tracked equally well in terms of lengths and strokes. This is in stark contrast to the disastrous swim feature on TomTom MultiSports where swim accuracy is poor at about 10-40% off. The feature that seems to put v800 ahead is that it allows you to track heart rate during swim. However, it's not very practical in reality. (Click on my name above and you can read more on v800 swim.) Furthermore, I prefer the analytics provided by Garmin website as compared to Polar's Flow.

Swim (Open water) TBD - Honestly, I haven't tried this out as it's winter. The fact that 920xt has this feature but NOT v800 puts it ahead of its competition. This is a feature that is suppose to be available on v800 next year. I'll update this when I get to test it out.

Bike 5/5 - The 920xt picks up the C/S sensor quickly with no issues. Overall, I felt 920xt better than v800. Both watch performed extremely well. I did have issue connecting Polar v800 to my speed and cadence monitor, but not so with Garmin. One thing I prefer about 920xt is the screen is clearer (with four metrics on four corners of the watch face, as oppose to v800 cramping everything from top to bottom.

Run 5/5 - I'm a data junkie and love the run metrics! IF you get 920 with the HRM-Run strap, it allows you to track much more data such as vertical oscillation, contact time etc. These helps improve your running form. Something the v800 doesn't provide. Yes, you may be able to get a Wahoo TICKR X to pair with your v800 but those metrics will not be captured on your watch screen like the 920xt. As far as watch screen is concerned, I also feel it's much easier to see the metrics on 920 as compared to v800. Overall, 920xt better than v800.

Snowboard/Ski 4/5 - I've loaded the Snowboard/Ski profile into the watch. Overall, it works well and I could record my heart rate, altitude fairly accurately through my ski trip. I typically take a new lap when I'm going up the ski lift, and when I disembark, I'll take a new lap for my trip down. The altitude measurement is usually fairly accurate as I've known how high each slope is.

Strength training 4/5 - I loaded this activity into the watch so that I can track my heart rate during weights and crossfit trainings. It's interesting to see certain exercises, such as squats and leg raise that are able to raise my heart rate much more quickly than bench press or crunch. I set a low and high alert so I know when to resume my set, and how hard I'm pushing. You can also add custom workout (e.g. intervals) to the watch via the Connect.garmin.com site.

Activity Monitor 2/5 - The pedometer for 920xt is too sensitive. I have an hour long commute and it often thinks I completed several miles of walk when I'm driving. So, I get many steps registered on my way to walk. 920xt also requires you to put the watch to "sleep" to track sleep. Not so for v800. v800 is ahead in this regard.

Below is a summary of the key features that one watch has but the other doesn't....

What Polar v800 has but Garmin 920xt doesn't:
1. Track heart rate in water through Polar H7 Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)
2. Orthostatic Test (current fitness condition)
3. Heart Rate R-R Recording aka heart rate variability (can be used to determine body's condition due to training load and stress)
4. Connectivity to sports devices (e.g. HRM, bike cadence/speed monitors) that supports Bluetooth only. Note that 920xt has bluetooth connectivity but ONLY to iPhone.
(I've written a more detailed review on Polar v800 at Amazon)

What 920xt has but v800 doesn't
1. Open water swim
2. Metronome
3. wifi, ANT+ connectivity
4. color screen
5. quick release kit
6. approx 3 years experience of having a a triathlon watch (910xt), 1.5 years in swim product (Garmin Swim). Polar v800 is the first product Polar to fully support triathletes, and first time on swim metrics.
7. Run metrics through Garmin's new HRM-Run strap.
8. live tracking (but requires a cellphone to transmit your location real time)
9. ability to set/customize your screen via the watch itself (v800 you need to go to their website to change it and sync with watch. THis is very inconvenient.).
10. ability to connect with smartphone and have message appear on your watch

Additional notes: While Polar announced the v800 in 1/2014 with all its capabilities (including swim), it soon realized the watch cannot launch with all the features in 6/2014. Pool swim was only available in late 10/2014, and open water swim won't be available until 1Q2015. So, with v800, you get the watch but not all the features. With Garmin, the watch was announced in 10/2014, released in 11/2014 with all the features. The 920xt is VERY POPULAR and in very high demand; Amazon doesn't even have them in stock as of 12/2014. I got it special ordered.

In conclusion, I must say 920xt is indeed an EXCELLENT overall multisports watch. Is it perfect? NO... but you can be assured the watch firmware will be improved. It's a very common strategy for smart watch makers to continue to evolve the firmware based on reviews and feedback.

I'll be updating this review when new firmware is released if this is a helpful review for you. Feel free to also ask questions in the comments section, and that way I can improve this review further. Thanks.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2015 8:05 PM PST

Polar V800 GPS Sports Watch with Heart Rate Monitor, Black
Polar V800 GPS Sports Watch with Heart Rate Monitor, Black
Price: Click here to see our price
29 used & new from $280.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but know its limitations, December 4, 2014
After catching the triathlon bug, I have been researching for my perfect watch to track my training and to improve my capability. I'm not a pro by any stretch though Polar v800 fitness test classified me as "Elite". I've used Garmin Forerunner 910XT GPS-Enabled Sport Watch, Garmin Swim Watch with Garmin Connect and TomTom Multi-Sport GPS Watch with Heart Rate Monitor. Most recently, I've also bought the Garmin Forerunner 920XT White/Red Watch With HRM-Run.

I have used TomTom MultiSports extensively for more than a year (and written in-depth about this product along its arduous firmware updates), I'm ready to upgrade to something more sophisticated. I bought this through Amazon, and received this watch on Dec 2, 2014.

LOVE IT!:
- watch's overall appearance and aesthetics
- rugged solid feel of the watch
- ease of new device pairing
- fast GPS pickup
- accuracy of pool swim
- web app

So-So:
- overall comfort
- smartphone app
- slower for HRM to connect while in water

DISLIKES:
- screen customization for each sports cannot be set on watch (only via web)
- training targets cannot be set on watch (only via web application)
- many features are still not out yet (e.g. open water swim)
- having to access certain features by "long press"
- HRM flipping when I turn, and frequent drop signals along swim

More details below:

1. Looks: 4/5. I got the blue/red which I thought looks sleek and eye catching. I like to use it as a daily watch and since I work at the office, a large watch like 920xt seems looks weird. I didn't give 5/5 because it's a little too thick. Get's caught with the long sleeve of my shirt, and depends on your wet suit, having it under may be very tight.

2. Comfort: 3/5. I have small wrist and an on slim/athletic side. The metal loop on the strap bites to my skin more than rest of the strap. For long distance run, swim, this is quite important. While it's about 81g, it doesn't feel very heavy during swim or run.

3. Device pairing 4/5: heart rate monitor, speed cadence monitor pair within 10 seconds on first connection. Subsequent connections was generally quite fast. But I did have some issue waiting trying to pair the HRM when I get into the water for swim (more later).

4. Watch firmware: 2/5:
I'm not impressed by the interface and usability.

a. The metrics for each sport profile (Swim/Bike/Run etc) cannot be set on the watch. You need to connect to the Flow web application and sync with your watch. If you forgot to bring charger or your phone, you cannot change it.

b. Due to only 5 buttons, you have to remember what the "long press" of each button means. For my first swim, I could not find any menu to change the pool length and unit (yard/meters). I came back and found on the user manual that you have to long press the light button at the pre-start menu of pool swim. :(

5. Desktop/Web application: 4/5. There's a wide variety of sports profile including strength training, skiing, pool swim, swim, cycling, triathlon etc. The drag and drop is useful, and the info you entered on watch gets fed into the web application and vice versa with no hassle.

6. Smartphone App: 3/5. It doesn't have the ability to customize metrics or add sports profile. It's predominantly to show you your activity tracker results. Note that you can't see your activity tracking until you sync with your phone or web application. Once done, you see how active you are over the last 24hr in a format of a ring, which I find useful.

7. Swim: 4/5. I wear it together with my Garmin swim, and both of them recorded exact number of lengths on a 25m pool today. The main reason I gave 4/5 is due to its accuracy. But I'm disappointed by the HRM which is suppose to be the KEY DIFFERENTIATOR of this watch from its competition (Garmin 920XT). It's not very practical... despite having the strap very tight on my body, the push off often resulted the strap to move/roll on my body resulting in some drop signals during the swim.

a. Accuracy: SPOT ON! It was 39 lengths or 975m. This is exactly as I counted manually and as recorded by my garmin swim.

b. HRM: This is the only watch that can track heart rate while you swim. Great in theory but no good in practice. I kept it tight, but it still flips/moves at every turn. When I saw the results, there were many signal drops throughout the whole swim. Connecting the HRM in water also took like a minute... too long!

8. Run 4/5: GPS lock is very fast (within 10s) and accuracy is superb! I tried doing a u-turn on a street by crossing it and coming back on the other side of the road. And you can literally see that clearly on the map. I also tried running same direction, and moving from one side or road to another and it captures that without problem. In areas with shady trees that is a problem for iphone, I didn't have any issue with this watch. I didn't give a full 5/5 because it doesn't provide any run metrics like Garmin 920xt.

9. Activity tracker - Pls note that the results of steps/sleep etc can only be viewed online or via the iPhone app. This to me is quite disappointing. The pedometer is reasonable, and the sleep is very simple. It doesn't give any details on how much you've tossed/turn etc during sleep unlike most of the fitbits/jawbone etc.

I have recently bought the Garmin Forerunner 920XT White/Red Watch With HRM-Run. And you can also read my review and detailed comparison there.

Overall, this is a very well-built watch, looks sharp and very capable. Measurements of GPS location, swim, bike and run are generally very accurate. However the need to constantly sync with the PC in order to change screen setup, add sports profile are big limitations on this watch. Also, the lack of ability to see your activity tracking on watch unless you sync with smartphone is also a dislike. Compared to the similarlly priced 920XT, I feel the v800 feel short of the competition.

If this review is helpful and just click below, and I can continue to update. And ask me questions through "Comments" so I can further improve this review.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2015 5:49 AM PDT

Oakley Men's Flak Jacket Iridium Polarized Asian Fit Sunglasses,Grey Frame/Black Lens,one size
Offered by Extreme Supply
Price: $189.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional fit, February 23, 2014
I have a Half Jacket 2.0 XLJ (regular), Radar (regular), and this Flak jacket (Asian Fit). And yes, I'm an Asian and I've tried most if not all Oakley models. I noticed that my face cannot accommodate any Oakley other than these models. But even amongst these models, there is a difference between the Asian fit and regular fit. The Asian fit is slightly wider on the temple, and a little flatter in front.

This Flak jacket has the best fit and great visibility for peripheral vision. An added bonus is I can have prescriptive lenses fitted on them.

Sugoi Sonic Tri Tank
Sugoi Sonic Tri Tank
Price: $28.00 - $57.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite small, but good material, August 3, 2013
This review is from: Sugoi Sonic Tri Tank (Sports)
Fabric quality is high, looks great but front seams in front made it less comfortable.

Size: This is a tri top, so be prepared it's has snug fit on body. I'm 5'9" about 165lb, and usually get L for comfort, and M for snug fit. I bought XL in this case, and it's about similar to a M fit for most athletic wear I bought.

TomTom Multi-Sport GPS Watch (Grey)
TomTom Multi-Sport GPS Watch (Grey)
Offered by Clever Training
Price: $129.99
42 used & new from $94.76

4.0 out of 5 stars Great potential, need to improve on firmware and software, July 20, 2013
This review is last updated Nov 2014 (firmware 1.8.19)

I have probably updated this review almost 10 times now... why? Thanks to improvements in the software since the watch was first launched. If you're one who sees glass half full, you might feel used by TomTom to be a beta tester. But truthfully, there were many new features added and existing ones refined over the last year or so!

TomTom has refined many existing features (e.g. Cycle) and introduced new ones (e.g. Interval, Stopwatch). I am rewriting this review as many of the issues has been addressed.

==================
Background:
I'm training for Triathlon and have used the Garmin 910XT (borrowed), and Garmin Swim (owned). Few minutes after I placed my order for 910xt, I learned about this TomTom watch. I canceled the order and eagerly waited for the Tomtom. Garmin 910xt is currently the king of Tri watch, but at twice the price - 399! (It was offering at 299 in May'13. Watch only). While it's unfair to expect this watch to be as capable, it has LOTS OF POTENTIAL though if the TomTom programmers can fix some stuff.

EXCELLENT:
======
Watch itself - THE HARDWARE IS THE BEST THING. It is Slim and light. This is critical for a sports watch. 910xt is smaller than 310xt but its still bulky and heavy for my taste. You feel it when you're swimming and running, not just the weight but the water and wind resistance. TomTomMS feels very comfortable and effortless when I swing my arms in water or running. I've used it on wetsuit and on bare wrist, and both are fine. Unlike the Garmin 910xt's quick release, which many has complained it may drop into the sea, the TomTom watch is encased in the strap in a smart way that won't dislodge.

Setup: I have the Wahoo Bluetoothsmart Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) as well as the Speed/Cadence (C/S) monitor. Please note that this watch cannot pair with ANT+ devices. Connecting to the HRM and C/S was a breeze. Took less than a minute. Once set up, activating it for run and bike was also very fast (first time 15 sec, subsequent was 3-5sec). After the activity is recorded by the watch, you need to download to PC (via USB connector) and upload to website.

GREAT:
======
Bike Latch (UPDATED)- Watch comes with a bike latch that allows you to snap the watch onto the bike's handlebar. Once installed, the watch can hook on the handlebar quickly.
8/28/2013 update: My bike latch BROKE after 1mth (I took it on/off about 5 times. DISAPPOINTED!) See picture. The idea is good but there are some potential stress points that weakens with repeated use.
11/9/2014 update: I received NEWLY DESIGNED bike mount, this new design can accommodate both regular and carbon (thicker) handlebar.

Quite good:
=======
Watch Display/interface - Simple interface and each sports (Swim, Bike, Run, Treadmill) allow you to choose what metric to see on top left and right fields (small but visible). The small screen is a trade off I'm willing to take to have a small slim watch. Garmin 910XT is too bug and bulky. At night, you tap the screen to activate backlight.

BAD:
====
TomTom's Website - to which the data is uploaded to is bad. You can't edit and delete activities. In a specific review website, TomTom touted Training views that provide detailed analysis, but these features was never brought to fruition.

Workaround: Perhaps thinking they shouldn't waste time to on their own website, TomTom allow you to generate files of tcx, gpx, fit, that allows you to upload directly to MapYourRun/Ride/Fitness, RunKeeper, Training Peak and Strava. One thing missing though is THESE WEBSITES DO NOT HAVE STRONG SWIM analytics unlike Garmin.

If I were to rate:
Watch hardware 9/10 - the watch itself is superbly designed, and SLEEK. Kudos to the team! The designer/engineer even build the GPS chip inside the control pad, which reduces bulk on the actual watch. It's light, slim and doesn't drop out from the strap (unlike 910XT)

Watch firmware 7/10 - this watch can really compete with 910XT if it does the following:
a. fixes the accidental stop issue mentioned above (This is FIXED by firmware 1.5.1)
b. add multi-sport mode (currently it only tracks swim, bike, ride as separate activities
c. add interval training mode (This is ADDED in firmware 1.4.1)
d. add OPEN WATER SWIM (I CAN actually track my ocean swim with this watch but under RUN mode!)

PC software (for Mac) 7/10
This is the software you download into your PC (I use it on Mac) and downloads data to your PC or upload to internet. This software was glitchy but stability is improved. Previously, this software doesn't allow you to re-export files but now you can. It also allows you to export to different formats and websites. However, it appears the websites are not interpreting the data accurately and TomTom is finetuning this.

Internet website (MySport.TomTom.com) 4/10
TomTom's site is really rudimentary. You can't edit, and see your swim metrics. Fortunately, as mentioned above, it's good desktop software allows upload to several websites. MapYourRun/Fitness or Strava and rebrand that site for TomTom users. (Pls note that on another website, DCRainmaker, there's a mock up of what TomTom aspire their website to look like. But as of Sep 2013, after this watch is selling for more than 2 months, the actual website is NOTHING like what's shown on DCRainmaker. It only has one tab instead of 3)

SWIM 6.5/10
- The watch is fairly accurate for 25 yard pools, but for longer 50m pool, it adds more lengths to it. I used both Garmin Swim and TomTom for my swim. TT watch is capable of several metrics - e.g. duration, lengths, strokes per lap, SWOLF, but these metrics while appearing on watch CANNOT be displayed on the website. It's competitor, Garmin 910xt and Garmin Swim, capture these and when uploaded to Garmin website allows you to analyze how your stroke and efficiency vary with time. With TomTom, you can only see speed vs distance. If you try uploading to other sites, these metrics like SWOLF, stroke per lap cannot be interpreted by RunKeeper, MayMyFitness, nor Strava.

RUN 8/10
- this is the simplest, and fortunately, it didn't disappoint much. I had my HRM connected and it recorded distance through GPS, and speed was calculated via GPS. (On 7/20 ocean swim, I actually tried using RUN mode for my ocean swim. What's interesting is, I could track my swim path with this. The GPS is quite strong indeed, perhaps a saving grace for this watch.). What I love most is, you can add interval trainings, train within heart rate or certain pace, and if you are outside the set range, the watch will beep signaling you're over or under.

CYCLE 8/10
- The cycle feature has been refined. It takes about 30 seconds to locate your position and you're ready to go. Previous to Firmware 1.4.1, if you have bluetooth cadence/speed sensor on, the speed will be calculated based on the tire circumference, and when you lose connection (sometimes) with your watch, you lose speed info. This firmware appears to address that by taking advantage of BOTH GPS signal and speed sensor. Which is neat!

TREADMILL 6/10
- Initially, this feature was horrible, but it has improved... You an calibrate after the run, and make it more aligned to your running style. Don't get too caught up with the pace it shows while you're running. The final distance appears to be accurate.

====================
Below are my previous accounts to show the problems and things solved by TomTom over the past few months. I would give TomTom a lot of credit for resolving these... but again, shouldn't these be fixed before launching the watch?

7/21/2013 update:
Managed to download my data from my ocean swim, ride and run. I'm giving this watch a 4 star rating is because I know the watch firmware and the PC connection software can be fixed and improved. I'm sure the TomTom team is trying their best to fix these. Pls continue to do so and this watch can be 5 stars!!!

7/24/2013 update:
I've used this watch for a full triathlon workout (ocean swim, bike ride and run) on 7/20, lap swims on 7/22 and BRIC workout on 7/23. I'm dropping this review from 4 to 3 stars due to the shortcomings below. The watch requires you to set the length per lap in meters but in US, most pools are 25yards. You have to convert to 22.86m and need to round up or down since it stores no decimal places. TomTom should allow users to input either in yard or meters! (This issue was subsequently fixed)

8/28/2013 update:
Tested Firmware 1.3.1. Cycling at low cadence improved and no longer intermittently drop to zero (Kudos!). Swim seems to improve slightly but still problematic. Good thing is we can now input in yard and not just meters. But beware, the setting is global. So, if you set to meters and enter pool length in meters, your run will appear in meters/km as well. Not ideal but can't be too picky.

9/26/2013 update:
- SWIM: After many more swims - short and long course, the swim function has improved but remains problematic for long course (50m). It sometimes gives zero after one length, and sometimes gives me 3 lengths when I only completed one. I don't have this problem with my Garmin Swim. I've almost given up on this watch to track swim! Until the next firmware comes along.

- CYCLE: With the Cadence/Speed sensor: TomTom listened to the problems and IMPROVED IT! Cadence intermittently showing zero at cadence below 60rpm. Even though the sensor may not detect a revolution at certain 1 second interval, there should be some logic to smooth it out a little. This problem has been resolved and the reading is now smooth.

11/01/2013 update (Tested Firmware 1.4.1)
- SWIM: Watch vibrates when each lap is completed. THIS IS GREAT because it tells you your lap is detected! I need not look at the watch while swimming to check that. (Too bad this feature was removed when firmware 1.5.1 was introduced.)

- CYCLE: previous to this, when you have bluetooth cadence/speed sensor on, the speed will be calculated based on the tire circumference, and when you lose connection (sometimes) with your monitor, you lose speed info. This firmware appears to address that by taking advantage of BOTH GPS signal and speed sensor. (Original Problem: When my Cadence/Speed sensor lost connection to the watch, lost SPEED and DISTANCE altogether. With the new firmware, you'll lose Cadence input, but it appears you continue to get speed and distance info like it should provided by GPS sensor.)

11/12 update (Tested Firmware 1.5.1)
- STOPWATCH: This is a NEW feature. My original review said it's weird to have a sports watch without stopwatch, and I'm glad TomTom introduced it. I'm happy it finally has STOP WATCH standalone function, and I don't need to enter cycling, running or swim as a workaround. This is useful for exercise such as plank, in between sets.

- Accidental stop/pause: The watch was prone to accidental pause/stop but now, you have to keep it depressed 2 seconds to pause and same for stop. I suggested TomTom to provide a warning message before you stop the tracking. Or to pause the activity you're tracking, you click Left button. To Stop, you click Left button again. Too often I accidentally click twice (some times there's a short lag and think it didn't detect your first click), and it end that activity and stops the tracking.

====

[...]
Comment Comments (18) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2014 10:00 AM PST

Pearl Izumi Men's Elite Intercool Tri Short Long
Pearl Izumi Men's Elite Intercool Tri Short Long
Offered by CYCLE4LESS
Price: $74.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality Tri shorts, May 26, 2013
Pearl izumi has several types of Tri shorts. Quest, Select and Elite and Pro. This as you imagine is the second highest range. I'm 5'10" and about 170lb, and I bought L as I like I longer. Meets my needs and it does not slip up or down due to silicone at the end of the shorts.

However pls note that this is a Tri shorts and you're not getting a lot of padding or cushion. Else it'd be very heavy during the swim. This is by design and by no means reflect poor quality from PI. It sits lower on my waist below my belly button as I like. Overall very comfy and as a result I bought another one.

Get it at sale and it could be as low as below $40 at times.

Hope this helps.

Swimming Competition Nose Clip
Swimming Competition Nose Clip
Offered by eway
Price: $3.45
9 used & new from $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the plastic ones, April 15, 2013
I've tried several nose clips but I realize everyone's nose shape differently and therefore one that suit one person may not suit the other. With the plastic/rubber nose clips, it seems to hold up when you're on land but when my face is wet while swimming the nose clips just slips out. With this metal/rubber one, you can adjust it and shape it to some extend to ensure a good hold. I took off one star because the round part of the exposed metal is too low for me. As such, it isn't very comfortable and will add a pressure mark and discomfort on the bridge of my nose.

Long Floating Fin 11-13 Black/Navy
Long Floating Fin 11-13 Black/Navy
Price: $23.17
16 used & new from $12.13

3.0 out of 5 stars Good fin but bad fit. Blisters after few swims., April 15, 2013
This review is from: Long Floating Fin (Sports)
About me: I swim 3-4 times a week and use fins as part of the drill...

Sizing this fins can be challenging and hit or miss depending on your feet shape and length. So, beware. I wasn't expecting it to fit like a sports shoe especially given the size range but I thought I point out the shape and length of the slot did not fit me at all.

Size: I wear shoes of size US 9. So, I bought 9-11 thinking it'd be good considering many reviewers recommending you to buy one size larger. But when I received it, I had to put quite a lot of force to squeeze my foot into each fins.

Shape of the slot - Note that most feet is wider at the toes than heel, but the shape of the slot you wear into widens too little at the front. So, there's a tight squeeze at the toe area. When I try to stand up, the front part of my foot is very tight to the extent of being painful and you can't walk even few steps. I know the fins are not used for walking, so that's fine but I didn't expect it'd be painful. So now, I only put on the fins in the water.

Length of slot - While the back part around my ankle has a snug fit, my toes protruded out quite a bit. When you stand up on land, it doesn't matter because the traction from the rubber prevents your feet from moving much. But when you're in water, the water allows your feet to move forward somewhat and as result my toes protrude even further out to the extent there's abrasion above my toes.

Thinking I bought the wrong size, I bought another larger one 11-13. But guess what? The length is ok, but now, the cavity is a little too big and my foot can move inside and there is no snug around my ankle. I can still swim with it but too loose.

As a fin, it works well and offers great flexibility and propulsion. Unfortunately, the fit may not suit everyone.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2013 12:21 PM PDT

Mastering the Nikon D800
Mastering the Nikon D800
by Darrell Young
Price: $26.86
61 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars INVALUABLE resource on D800, Must-have Companion!, August 29, 2012
I don't need a basic book to teach me the functions of the D800 or what button to press. The very reason you are reading this is likely because you're an advance photographer (hence D800) who already know typical functions of an SLR, but you want to know...
A) how to do it frequently used capture/review features more efficiently
B) how to take full advantage of this camera's advances features
C) what else is not covered in the manual that you need to know
And I must say this book satisfied the above! It also explains WHY some of these functions are there (helps me understand how other photographer works)

I bought this book at pre-order when no previews were available. When I first opened and flipped through, I wasn't very impressed as it looked more like a plain textbook with some images on each page. No fancy graphics, arrows nor call out boxes like some instructional books. But that's where I'm wrong and just judging a book by it's cover and initial looks.

As I read on, here's what impresses me:
1. Not just a camera manual - I don't need another camera manual. In addition to telling you what each button does, it also explain why it's for
2. "Settings Recommendation" - At end of each section, author describes what he chose, and for what scenario (e.g sports, parties, commercial etc)
3. Non-documented Nikon features - There are few e.g. how clicking an ISO after Auto ISO actually sets the minimum ISO and help you create a min-max ISO range.
4. Explanation of some advance features such as: Banks, Custom modes, wireless flash control, ADL bracketing, various focusing settings
5. Explanation of how the camera will behave (e.g. will focus be slower if you use the Lock, effect of lens movement on AF)

The D800 is a great camera with many features, and despite owning it for more than 6mths, there are so much more I didn't know. And this book really helps!

(There's much more to list above, and I learn much more each page I flipped through this book. If not for this book, I would have spent lots of time doing trial and errors to find out.)

I hope this review is helpful to you!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4