Profile for Amy S. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 188

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amy S. RSS Feed (Seattle)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories
Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories
by China Miéville
Price: $17.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Attentive readers will be rewarded!, June 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I read China Mieville's "The City and The City" shortly before I read this collection. If you appreciated the complexity of "The City and The City", you'll enjoy Three Moments of an Explosion.

As I learned with "The City and The City", Mieville doesn't believe in spelling everything out for the reader. This is particularly true of many of the stories in this collection. They are often difficult narratives that require an attentive reader. You're often left to fill in the blanks (or even the endings) with your own imagination. But when you do, you're rewarded with some fantastic imagery that perhaps, like me, you'll carry with you.

Overall I am impressed with the quality and quantity of this book. It reminds me of a collection of fiction the likes of which you find in The New Yorker.

Ageless La Cure Natural, Organic Exfoliating Facial Phyto-Peel by Phyto 5, 2.5 Ounce
Price: $39.44

5.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to your skin-care arsenal. Don't be afraid of the price, a little goes a long way., June 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Really loving the Ageless La Cure Natural product line and this exfoliator is not exception. Here's why:

SCENT: The product has a wonderful, herbal scent with strong notes of peppermint that evoke a relaxing spa.

IT ONLY TAKES A LITTLE: Yes it's expensive; however, I use a portion about the size of a dime twice per week, so I expect this tube will last the better part of six months.

LEAVES SKIN RADIANT: My skin has a glow to it now that all the old skin has been sloughed off.

NATURAL: Everything about this product just FEELS organic and all natural. I love the way it goes on (and how easy it comes off).

Ageless La Cure Natural, Organic Hydrating and Refreshing Cleansing Foam by Phyto 5, 5 Ounce
Price: $29.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Leaves your face with the perfect balance of cleansed and moisturized, June 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Great product that I'm definitely adding to my regular skin-care arsenal. Here's why:

CLEANS WITHOUT DRYING: I've found you often have to sacrifice one or the other--sparkling clean versus moisturized. Not with Ageless La Cure Natural. My skin has that deep-cleaned feeling coupled with hydration.

HYDRATION: After 3.5 weeks of use, my skin is soft and significantly more hydrated.

SCENT: A wonderful, herbal scent. I use the Ageless La Cure nightly and it's like a touch of aroma therapy before I go to sleep.

FOAM: I'm typically not a lover of foam-based cleansers, but this one is fantastic. It goes on smoothly and gently.

Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed - Pacific Northwest Mix, 7-Pound
Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed - Pacific Northwest Mix, 7-Pound
Price: $31.99
2 used & new from $31.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Still waiting..., May 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a tiny, urban yard in Seattle. I have patches where I weeded. I filled the patches with new soil, spread this seed, gently raked it under with a hand rake, and watered. A week later, I'm still waiting for the Turf Builder to germinate. I'll update my review in a few weeks after it (hopefully) has started to grow, but at this point it looks pretty bleak. The weather has been mild, plenty of rain and watering, and still nothing.

AHAVA Dead Sea Water Mineral Hand Cream, 1.3 fl. oz.
AHAVA Dead Sea Water Mineral Hand Cream, 1.3 fl. oz.
Price: $7.00
2 used & new from $7.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful moisturizer ruined by overpowering, dated, floral smell!, May 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I would absolutely love this hand cream and buy it regularly if it didn't smell like I just pawed around in my grandmother's purse!

The product name and packaging lead me to believe that this would have and earthy, more natural smell. Something akin to Aveda or Malin & Goetz products. Instead, the scent reminds me of the strong, floral perfumes that were popular in the 1980s. AHAVA: Please get rid of the scent. It's not unisex, nor is it contemporary.

Ok, now that I got that off my chest, I just want to say that the moisturizing aspect of this hand cream is fantastic! I put it on 7 hours ago and my hands are still moisturized. Unheard of considering I typically apply Lubriderm every hour.

Five stars for moisturizing, minus two stars for scent.

The Nutro Company Breakfast Scrambles with Chicken, Egg and Salmon, 3 Oz, Pack of 24
Price: $28.56
4 used & new from $28.56

3.0 out of 5 stars Your cat will love it or hate it, May 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My rescue cat is not a picky eater when it comes to wet food. She has her favorites, but if it's wet and I put it in her bowl, she'll eat it. The ingredients in this Nutro Breakfast Scrambles sounded like something she'd enjoy, so I thought I'd give it a try. Boy was I wrong. When I served it to her, she backed away from it like it was something spoiled and went on a hunger strike. As a result, I decided to give the remaining cans to my neighbor. A couple days later, my neighbor reported that her cats are thoroughly enjoying the food.

It seems like this one is really a mixed bag: Your cat will love it or hate it. I'd recommend buying a single can somewhere before investing in a full case from Amazon.

KitchenAid KCM0802OB Pour Over Coffee Brewer, Onyx Black
KitchenAid KCM0802OB Pour Over Coffee Brewer, Onyx Black
Price: Click here to see our price

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive coffee, huge machine, May 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Kitchenaid Pour Over Coffee Maker produces a delightful pot of coffee that beats traditional coffee-maker brew.

// PROS

TASTE: Really great coffee. I'm a Seattlite and we care deeply about these things!

INTERFACE: Easy to use! I love a machine with a simple interface. It even has a little graphic that tells you exactly what the machine is doing at any given time during the brewing process.

APPEARANCE: This machine looks great. It has a vintage look, like other Kitchenaid appliances, that is at home in the most modern or traditional kitchen.

// CONS

EXPENSIVE: This Kitchenaid is an extremely pricey replacement for something that typically costs less than $10. Yes, you can make several cups at a time, but the cost is real.

LARGE: The machine is taller than most typical coffee machines. And because you need to fill it from the top, you're going to have trouble keeping it tucked under kitchen cabinets--it will fit, but you need to pull it out to use it. This one needs some space!

Overall I like this machine a lot. The coffee is fantastic. However, I'm deducting a star because I think it's a bit overpriced.

Clairol  Natural Instincts Crema Keratina Hair Color Kit, Chocolate Brown 5BZ Chocolate Creme
Clairol Natural Instincts Crema Keratina Hair Color Kit, Chocolate Brown 5BZ Chocolate Creme
Price: $6.47
6 used & new from $6.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylist results for 1/10th the price!, May 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have my hair cut and colored by my stylist once a month. From now on, I'm going to only get a cut! This results from Clairol Natural Instincts Crema Keratina Hair Color are just as good as what I was paying my stylist for at about 1/10th the price.

This was the first time I've ever colored my own hair, so I had no idea what to expect (and no other experience to compare it to). However, I found it to be completely easy. The whole event took about 30 minutes. I didn't bother with any color testing and just went straight for it. I'm glad I did. The color is exactly what I wanted (albeit, a bit darker than what's on the box) and looks very natural. The included conditioner is a nice touch.

All in all I'm thrilled with the results. I will continue to order this product from Amazon and save myself $1000/year!

Vornado VFAN Jr. Vintage Air Circulator, Red
Vornado VFAN Jr. Vintage Air Circulator, Red
Price: $59.99
5 used & new from $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful little beauty!, May 6, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Look no further if you're searching for a small, powerful fan that looks as good as it feels.

// PROS

GORGEOUS: This is a gorgeous little fan. It looks fantastic in my minimalist, dark grey bedroom.

POWERFUL: The VFAN Jr. produces such a wonderful current of air for such a tiny fan.

NO NEED FOR OSCILLATION: The VFAN Jr. creates a room-filling breeze without the need to oscillate. A great benefit when used in a bedroom.

SMALL FOOTPRINT: The VFAN Jr. is incredibly small for how much air it generates. Perfectly suited to side table. This is fantastic for storage, but with it's good looks, you'll be tempted to leave it out all the time.

NO VIBRATION: The VFAN is well distributed and produces no noticeable vibration.

// CONS

NOISE VARIATION AT HIGH SPEED: I could only find one con. The speed seems to vary slightly when set to high. The shift in the frequency of the white noise is sometimes enough to wake me from a deep sleep.

All in all, I love this fan. I plan to buy a couple more for my house and finally do away with my giant, floor-standing oscillators.

OXO Good Grips GreenSaver Crisper Filter, One Pack
OXO Good Grips GreenSaver Crisper Filter, One Pack
Price: $5.99
3 used & new from $5.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Entire line of GreenSavers extend the life of your produce!, April 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This little addition to my crisper has already paid for itself by saving numerous fruits and vegetables. You can't beat it. It's small: slightly larger than a deck of cards. And, for the cost of a pint of raspberries, your produce will last 30-50% longer.

I'm also using the separate GreenSaver containers, which, while more costly, are fantastic additions to your kitchen. Check them out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19