ARRAY(0x9c8fb6b4)

Customer Reviews: 130

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amy S. RSS Feed (Seattle)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
It's Complicated: The Social Lives of Networked Teens
It's Complicated: The Social Lives of Networked Teens
by danah boyd
Price: $16.68
54 used & new from $14.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenges the reader to think about contemporary notions of space and place, both on- and offline, March 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a user experience designer. This book interested me because my target market is often the demographic that Dana Boyd researches. This books sheds significant light on how teenagers are actually using tools like Facebook and Twitter. And it may not be how you think they are. It's Complicated is peppered useful information that is presented in a legible way that omits the heavy-handed approach often found in short-form writing on the topic. For example, Dana Boyd unpacks the teenage population's reliance on social media with regard to their shrinking access to time to congregate and the places to do so. Social media for teens IS their public space, they way shopping malls and parks were to generations before them. They quickly access and connect with their friends in a meaningful way when all of their free time is spent garnering activities and achievements that will help them get into college.

This book isn't just for the parents of teenagers or those who work with that population. It's for anyone thinking about what space and place mean in a culture where these things are increasingly restricted or privatized in the physical world. It challenges us to think about place-making online as a necessary component of human connection.

Women of Vision: National Geographic Photographers on Assignment
Women of Vision: National Geographic Photographers on Assignment
by National Geographic
Price: $21.41
58 used & new from $13.81

5.0 out of 5 stars A passionate look through the lens of daring women, March 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The book showcases a selection of photographs from 11 National Geographic photographers. Each woman's work is preceded by her photograph, a thoughtful quote showcasing her vision, and a brief biography. The photos are expertly curated and peppered with additional quotes from the photographer about what she's trying to achieve on the assignment; concurrently telling the story of the photographer and the assignment.

As an amateur photographer, I found the coupling of the photographs with the quotes and biographies compelling. I'm often impressed by an excellent composition or technically difficult shot, but this collection demonstrates the magic that happens when the photographer goes deeper into the spiritual place that all of these women find in their work. Even when that place is incredibly demanding. Truly inspiring!

Women of Vision is an exciting collection that deserves a spot on any discerning coffee table.

Friedrich AP260 5-Stage Air Purifier (HEPA, Carbon, Plasma, Pre-filter, Multi-filter)
Price: $249.99
2 used & new from $249.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent filtration, obnoxious dashboard, March 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using the Friedrich 5-Stage Air Purifier for three weeks. I'm allergic to dust, mold, and pollen. My cat is constantly stirring up dust, I live in the Pacific Northwest where mold is rampant, and it's now Spring and everything is blooming. Ergo, it's a perfect time to test an air purifier.

Despite all of my allergies, I've never tried air purification. After three weeks of sleeping better and displaying significantly less night-time congestion (the unit is in my bedroom), I'm sold on air purification, but I think Friedrich could improve a few things with the unit.

PROS

* CLEAN AIR: Definitely clearing the air of dust, pollen, and pet dander in my bedroom. Sleep is restful and significantly reduced congestion. The air in my bedroom just feels cleaner than the rest of the house.

* INDUSTRIAL DESIGN: Overall the unit looks modern and is well-designed except for the dashboard display (see below).

* INEXPENSIVE TO OPERATE: I ran the unit 24/7 and I just received my electric bill and there was a barely noticeable increase over the same period last year. Coupled with the annual cost of Friedrich AP260HFRK Annual HEPA Filter Replacement Kit for AP260 I'm guessing the Friedrich costs about $10/month--definitely worth a few bucks a week to sleep well!

CONS

* LARGE: The Friedrich is about the size of a roll-aboard piece of luggage. So it is definitely noticeable in your room.

* DASHBOARD DISPLAY: Why does it need to have all of these bright, obnoxious lights on the front of the unit? I want this thing to go unnoticed, not to scream "look at me, look at me!" I'd much rather have the control panel on the back, leaving the front unblemished by something that looks like a children's toy from the movie Tron. Whoever made the decision to "showcase" the dashboard on this thing should be fired.

* NOISY: The Plasma Filter sounds like a squeaking fan. I only turn this on when I won't be in the room. It's obnoxious and at first I thought the unit needed lubrication.

Toni&Guy Nourish Conditioner for Damaged Hair, 8.5 Fluid Ounce
Toni&Guy Nourish Conditioner for Damaged Hair, 8.5 Fluid Ounce
Price: $13.20
9 used & new from $5.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Good nourishment, unfortunate smell, February 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've used this conditioner for almost a week and my hair is responding to it well. It's been a really dry winter and my previous brand seemed to be leaching any moisture out of my hair. I'm using both the Toni & Guy Shampoo and Conditioner for Damage Hair and I've noted a marked increase in moisture. My one complain is the smell. These products smell like cheap perfume. I far prefer the more modern, herbal scents of products like Aveda. Fortunately, the smell doesn't seem to last.

Toni&Guy Cleanse Shampoo for Damaged Hair, 8.5 Fluid Ounce
Toni&Guy Cleanse Shampoo for Damaged Hair, 8.5 Fluid Ounce
Price: $11.99
10 used & new from $2.13

4.0 out of 5 stars Good results, bad scent, February 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've used this shampoo for almost a week and my hair is responding to it well. It's been a really dry winter and my previous shampoo seemed to be leaching any moisture out of my hair. I'm using both the Toni & Guy Shampoo and Conditioner for Damage Hair and I've noted a marked increase in moisture. My one complain is the smell. These products smell like cheap perfume. I far prefer the more modern, herbal scents of products like Aveda. Fortunately, the smell doesn't seem to last.

Toni&Guy Casual Sea Salt Texturising Spray, 6.8 Fluid Ounce
Toni&Guy Casual Sea Salt Texturising Spray, 6.8 Fluid Ounce
Price: $13.59
11 used & new from $11.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent except for the smell, January 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Like other reviewers, I find this texturising spray to work very well. I have a lot of very fine, short hair. I use texturizing sprays too help manage my mane, which can get a little unruly depending on the conditions (e.g., moisture in the air, wind, etc.). I've been using this spray for a few, blustery days and it's working well. The hold isn't too stiff and lasts all day. I can do without the perfume smell; however, I have noticed that it doesn't seem to be as pronounced once it's applied and doesn't bother me throughout the day like some other products have. Overall I think this product is excellent considering it's about half the price of similar sprays.

Acme Made The Skinny Sleeve for 11-Inch MacBook Air, Matte Black (AM00916-PWW)
Acme Made The Skinny Sleeve for 11-Inch MacBook Air, Matte Black (AM00916-PWW)
Price: $39.99
11 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, December 19, 2013
This is exactly what I wanted for my new MBA! It protects the Air without the extra weight and bulk of materials like neoprene and leather and does without the damaging friction of zippers. The Acme case fits snuggly and lets my MBA slip into incredibly small bags. In addition, when I'm using my Air I set it on top of the case, which acts as a placemat on tables and a cushion on my lap. Wonderful!

SmartyKat WobbleBobble Rocking Feather Cat Toy
SmartyKat WobbleBobble Rocking Feather Cat Toy
Price: $9.60
7 used & new from $3.06

2.0 out of 5 stars The feline Weeble that won't wobble!, December 5, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I (the human) love this toy. It looks great and is very well made (it reminds me of a Playskool Weebles 2-Pack - Music). Unfortunately my cat won't play with it unless I'm playing with it. Otherwise it languishes. The WobbleBobble also needs to be on a wood floor to maintain the "rocking" motion. On soft materials, likes rugs and couches, it simply falls over and doesn't regain verticality without a push. Disappointed human and cat.

Morphology - The Hilarious Guessing Board Game
Morphology - The Hilarious Guessing Board Game
Price: $22.79
8 used & new from $22.57

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but limited longevity, November 21, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I brought this game over to a friends for a family game night. Three adults and one 12-year-old. The gameplay feels a lot like it was conceived around the Sculpterades part of Cranium. There's something nice about how tactile Morphology is in a time when most of our interactions are digital. The 12-year-old had a great time playing with the adults and the game is quick enough to allow multiple plays, and therefore, multiple winners. This is definitely the kind of game where you start to shed some of the rules and, ultimately, just start taking turns drawing cards and acting out the answers. It's a decent game, but I don't think Morphology will ever hit "classic" status in the family game category like Cranium or Apples to Apples.

Allen Sports Premier 2-Bike Trunk Rack
Allen Sports Premier 2-Bike Trunk Rack
Price: $94.69
11 used & new from $81.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Trunk-Mount Rack, November 21, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've owned quite a few trunk-mount bike racks. Here are my thoughts on the Allen Sports Premier 2-Bike Trunk Rack attached to a 2012 Mini Cooper:

POSITIVE
1. Light Weight: This rack is significantly lighter than other racks I've owned. It's a lot easier for one person to attach the rack when it's less cumbersome.
2. Storable: The Allen Sports Rack folds flat for storage. I have it hanging on a hook when not in use and it barely takes up an space.
3. Easy to Attach: It took me about 10 minutes to put this on my Mini Cooper for the first time. Once you've attached it and the straps are essentially in the same place they'll always be, it only takes about 5 minutes to reattach the rack.
4. Attaching the Bike: The straps that attach your bikes to the rack and easy to use and quite secure. The cradle for the top tube is nice and wide--I've used racks where the cradle was too small for carbon fiber frames, this one will accommodate them.

NEGATIVE
1. Arms Aren't Adjustable: On my Mini Cooper hatchback, the arms that hold the bikes are a little more vertically oriented than other racks. I prefer having them more perpendicular to the car so the bikes do make as much contact with the vehicle.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13