Profile for lyssa > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

lyssa RSS Feed

The Best Book on IOS App Marketing
The Best Book on IOS App Marketing
by Michael Amerson
Price: $14.92
15 used & new from $12.63

4.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my mind., May 21, 2014
I didn't even know that this was an e-book. I bought the paperback version and had I known that this was an e-book I probably wouldn't have bought it.

The very thin (with big typeface) book started off sounding like an infomercial with lots of buzzwords and I started regretting that I bought it.

But, seeing that I am planning on making an iOS game and have no clue about marketing (why I even bought this book) I read it casually in a few days and just now finished it.

I'm glad I bought it! The author comes off as a knowledgeable experienced iOS developer/publisher... and I learned a lot from this thin little book.

If just a little bit of this is true and works out, then this book will have been well worth it.

There were a lot of web links that I couldn't of course actually go to because I have the paper version, but the end of the book says they will send you a PDF version and I just emailed for one. :)

Thanks!

edit: Well, they never sent me the PDF like the book says they would at the end. So, that makes all the links in the paper version useless...and I never got to go to them. Dropped a star.

edit: they did email me the pdf about 3 weeks later.

Objective-C 2.0 Essentials - Second Edition
Objective-C 2.0 Essentials - Second Edition
by Neil Smyth
Price: $14.39

5.0 out of 5 stars If only all programming books were like this... 6/5!, February 1, 2013
This book has an unbelievable number of typos/grammatical errors... and it is still a great book to me.

This book is perfect for somebody who already knows how to program in a C++ like language and is just trying to get a better feel for Objective-C... weeks before reading this book I read another Objective-C book (that is twice as big with smaller font) and this book made me feel like I don't need anymore. I've read dozens of C++/C/PHP/Perl/AS/VB/Java/many more etc., etc... books years ago so I am just getting back into coding with Objective-C and this book is an easy, very quick read that really does cover the essentials like the title says :)

Its rare to find a book that delivers on what you really need to know like this. I don't know if the author had anybody edit but even with all the mistakes I'll be reading this book again probably in months to come and this book is up there with my favorite programming books ever, thanks!

This book is so great I rarely do this but I looked up all his other titles just so I can buy them too hopefully he teaches just as well in his other books.

Learn cocos2d 2: Game Development for iOS
Learn cocos2d 2: Game Development for iOS
by Steffen Itterheim
Price: $27.78
38 used & new from $17.59

1.0 out of 5 stars Cluttered with self promotion of Kobold 2d, January 31, 2013
I thought, I bought a book on learning Cocos2d v2 game development on iOS... but seemingly every fourth paragraph the author instead self promotes his competing lateral game engine code Kobold 2d (which I don't care about learning).

He should've self promoted to his publisher Apress for his own Kobold 2d book instead of detracting focus on the supposed title's topic (the cover never mentions Kobold 2d). I don't want to learn Lua or Kobold.... I want to learn Cocos2d v2 for game develpment on iOS like the title of the book I paid for says.

Not cool, disappointed...