Profile for Scott > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 60

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Scott RSS Feed
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Purina Beyond Dry Dog Food, Superfood Blend, Barley Sweet Potato and Cranberry Recipe, 14.5-Pound Bag, Pack of 1
Price: $27.99
4 used & new from $27.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good ingredients and my dog likes the taste., April 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Purina Beyond Superfood Blend is a slightly above-average kibble with the selling point that it contains nutrient-rich "superfoods." Although the ingredients aren't what I would really call "superfoods," it does have a very respectable ingredient list. The main ingredient is turkey. I always like to see protein as the first ingredient, and I am pretty surprised to see it in a Purina kibble, since I feel like they're usually known to have dog foods that contain a lot of filler. The next three ingredients are fat, fiber, and moisture. There were no ingredients that negatively stood out for me, and I feel confident about giving it to my dog. I didn't wait the 7-10 days Purina recommends and ease him into it, and just switched my dog's food over one day, which I always do. He had no problems with it. I probably won't start feeding my dog the Beyond Superfood, but if I see it on a shelf and it is on sale or reasonably priced, I wouldn't have any problem giving it to my dog.

Mountain House Cinnamon Apples
Mountain House Cinnamon Apples
Price: $18.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Tastes great but doesn't last long once opened., April 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using Mountain House products on backpacking trips for years, with a lot of success. I generally like all of their products and they're very convenient for overnights in the woods. I've never tried anything with fruit in it until now though. The can is a bit bigger than I was expecting, but that's because the apple slice look just like regular apple slices, except with the water removed. They taste pretty good and the cinnamon definitely gives an added taste to it. Due to the large size of the can, I won't be taking this on my solo backpacking trips, but it is a great emergency ration and would work well for taking on group camping trips.

Purina ONE SmartBlend Dry Dog Food, True Instinct with Real Salmon & Tuna, 15-Pound Bag, Pack of 1
Price: $43.24
3 used & new from $32.15

3.0 out of 5 stars My dog likes the taste, but the ingredients are just average for me., April 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've never been a real fan of Purina kibble, but wanted to try out the SmartBlend when it was offered to me by Amazon to see if anything had changed in the ten years since I've used it. The first thing I did was look at the ingredient list. Salmon is the main ingredient. So far so good. However then it is followed by corn meal gluten as the second ingredient, and brewer's rice as the fourth. These are pretty much cereal fillers and don't provide for much nutritional value. These are followed by some meat products that I'm okay with, and then a bunch of preservatives at the bottom to prevent it from spoiling. Although I didn't see anything in the ingredient listing I would have a real problem giving my dog, they're not ingredients I would prefer or pay a premium for. When you consider that the recommended feeding size is over twice what I'm giving my dog now, I can assume a lot of that is coming from fillers and water. The kibble itself has a different texture, which didn't make any difference to my dog who is fine with a uniform product. The food is very digestible, as it claims, and my dog had no problem with bowel movements on it. I tried the Purina "28 Day Challenge," and adjusted the recommended feeding amount by more than half based on Purina's instructions, and did see a slight weight loss in my dog, which I was happy with. He seemed to have plenty of energy on this kibble.

Ultimate Body Press Wall or 9ft Ceiling Mount Pull Up Bar
Ultimate Body Press Wall or 9ft Ceiling Mount Pull Up Bar
Price: $99.99
2 used & new from $99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit obtrusive but works much better than a door-mounted bar., April 5, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've used four different pull up bars over the years, all of them door-mounted. The door mounts work okay, but you have to bend your knees to clear the floor and they always mess up my door frames. This is the first ceiling-mounted pull up bar I've tried. It is 48" on center, so it was easy to mount to my 24" joists, despite the fact that my house is over 100 years old. Installation took about 2 hours, but mostly because I had trouble locating my joists without a stud finder. Once it was up, it was solidly installed, so I didn't have to worry about it coming loose during the middle of a set. It is a bit intrusive in my guest bedroom, so I would recommend taking that into consideration when thinking about using this. The nice thing about a door mount is I can remove it when I'm done. With this, it is up there for good. It has a nice width so you can do wide pull ups, and the best thing is that I don't have to bend my knees anymore when doing pull ups. My only real complaint is that I think the bar is a little too thin for my hands and would prefer if it was a little thicker. I got around this by wrapping tennis grip around the bar.

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Potato and Kangaroo Dry Dog Food, 6/4-Pound
Price: $19.99
8 used & new from $15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I like the Limited Ingredient Diet line, but I think there are better varieties than the kangaroo formula., March 31, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Although kangaroo meat is is unusual in the US, it seems to be fairly common in other parts of the world, and my dog seemed to have no issue with eating it. I'm a big fan of Natural Balance, but unlike some of the other LID line, the first ingredient in this food is a carbohydrate - potato. I would prefer if it was a protein, as there is really very little nutritional value in plain potatoes in dog foods. It might be a little better if it was sweet potato, but even so, having it as the first ingredient seems like they are trying to use it as filler. That aside, I like everything else about this product, and especially its core concept of having a limited number of ingredients that I can easily understand. I probably won't get this flavor again though, and will opt for the venison variety.

The Honest Kitchen Love: Grain Free Beef Dog Food, 2 lb
The Honest Kitchen Love: Grain Free Beef Dog Food, 2 lb
Price: $25.47
4 used & new from $25.47

3.0 out of 5 stars Way too expensive for what you get, March 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I tried out this and the Honest Kitchen's Chicken and Whole Grain formula. It was my first tie using dehydrated dog food, and while it does have some advantages, there were a few too many negatives for me to recommend it as a long-term option. As to the positives, it is 100% human grade. While I'm not sure if that's necessary, I really like the idea behind it and that I can feel more comfortable about the ingredients in the food I'm giving to my dog. There is also a benefit in the dehydration, in that it takes up less space, and it is very useful for backpacking where I am trying to conserve weight.

For the negatives, the primary one is the expense. The feeding recommendations give you an amount based on a day's worth of feeding. If you feed your dog twice a day, which most people do, you have to divide this in half. It would make a lot more sense to provide the serving amount for a single feeding, and have people double it if they feed once a day.Like the chicken flavor, this box contains enough food to feed my dog for 1.5 days. That is ridiculously expensive. It also becomes a bit of a pain to make. It's not difficult, you just add warm water to it, stir, and wait three minutes. However, when I'm in a hurry, it definitely isn't as convenient as scooping up some food from a bin and pouring it into my dog's bowl.

The Honest Kitchen Revel Chicken and Whole Grain Dog Food, 2-Pound
The Honest Kitchen Revel Chicken and Whole Grain Dog Food, 2-Pound
Price: $15.99
3 used & new from $15.67

3.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, but crazy expensive and box doesn't last long., March 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have never tried dehydrated dog food before, and using this for the first time was interesting. It comes in a bag filled with the powdered food. There are instruction on the back, which advise you to mix with warm water, wait 3 minutes, and then serve. I tried it out, and it looked pretty disgusting once it was ready. Although it is labeled as "Human Grade food," which I really like, I definitely would not want to try it. My dog, however, loved it. The ingredient list is pretty nutritious and I feel good about giving it to my dog. I only have a couple complaints. The feeding recommendations give you an amount based on a day's worth of feeding. If you feed your dog twice a day, which most people do, you have to divide this in half. It would make a lot more sense to provide the serving amount for a single feeding, and have people double it if they feed once a day. Secondly, the box is 2 lbs, which contains enough for 1.5 days worth of food for my 72 lb active dog (according to their chart). I usually buy fairly expensive kibble for my dog, like Orijen or Arcana, but what amounts to $14 a day, or $420 a month, is way too much for me. It is a good alternative for backpacking with my dog, since I like to pack light, but there is no way I am spending this kind of money on daily feeding for my dog. It would be easier to make myself.

Natural Born Heroes: How a Daring Band of Misfits Mastered the Lost Secrets of Strength and Endurance
by Christopher McDougall
Price: $19.40
59 used & new from $13.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Similar to Born to Run, March 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I read McDougall's Born to Run when it came out, and although I wasn't blown away by it, I met McDougall during a book tour, and hwe was so charismatic, that I wanted to give Natural Born Heroes a try. Although the description didn't appeal to me that much, I'm interested in ultra endurance running and the added backdrop of World War II looked like it might hold some promise for a good read. The book started out pretty slow and it took me several weeks to get into it. About 20% of the way in, McDougall hits his groove and it was a pretty quick read from there. I enjoyed it about on par with Born to Run, although my only complaint with it is that it would be a little difficult to describe to someone what the book is about, since it jumps around a bit. WHat I initially thought was a book about the Nazi resistance in Crete, then moved onto several different areas. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I did find my interest waning at certain points in it. If you enjoyed Born to Run, I think you'll like Natural Born Heroes as well.

Classic Brands Engage 11-Inch Hybrid Cool Gel Memory Foam and Innerspring Mattress, Queen
Price: $383.55

5.0 out of 5 stars A great memory foam mattress, February 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the Classic Brands Memory Foam 11-inch mattress. I tried out both this mattress and the Cool Gel 12 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress. Just like the 12-inch mattress, it arrived in a box about 8 feet tall and 2 feet wide, and the mattress was completely rolled up inside it. It was wrapped tightly with plastic wrap, and once I removed the wrap, the mattress unrolled and started to take shape. It took about 15 minutes for it to completely expand to full size. It had a noticeable smell to it, but that went away after a couple of days once it aired out. Like the other mattress, the manufacturer advised not to use box springs with it. I bought the Sleep Master Platform Metal Bed Frame/Mattress Foundation, Queen foir use with it, which works perfectly. The mattress is great, but after two weeks of use with both, I cannot tell a difference between it and the 12 inch version. I get a great sleep with both of them. From what I can tell, the 11 inch might be cooler in the summer, but so far, I don't see as much of a noticeable difference with them. If you've never tried a memory foam mattress, this is a great one to get.

Classic Brands Cool Gel 12 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress, Queen Size
Classic Brands Cool Gel 12 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress, Queen Size
Price: $392.87
2 used & new from $389.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bed!, February 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have never tried out memory foam products until now. I was a little hesitant when this mattress arrived at my door. It was completely rolled up and stuffed inside a pretty small box. I unwrapped it, and within about 15 minutes it had expanded and taken shape into a full mattress. It had a fairly noticeable smell to it, but that went away after a couple of days once it aired out. Since the manufacturer advised not to use box springs with it, I purchased a metal platform frame for it and some new sheets. I ditched the mattress cover I had on my old bed, since it also recommended not to use a cushioned mattress cover either. The top of the mattress has a different density layer on it that acts like a pillow top mattress. I tried it out for a couple weeks and was really pleased with it. It is fairly firm compared to my old mattress and I thought it would be too stiff, but you settle in to it after lying on it awhile, and then, as advertised, it takes its shape back once you get off. I'm definitely happy with it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20