Profile for Scott > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 32

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Scott RSS Feed
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
DII Home Essentials 300 Thread Count 100% Cotton Top Fabric, 8-Ounce, Medium Fill, Breathable, Hypo Allergenic Plush Basic Mattress Pad, Queen
Price: $49.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Adds even more comfort to my bed, November 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having a nice mattress pad may not sound like something you would want to spend money on, but it can make a big difference in the comfort level of your bed. A mattress pad shouldn't just be about protecting your mattress. Even though I have a pilow top mattress, I like having an extra layer of cushion on top of that. I've never heard of this company before, but the mattress pad seems very high quality. The top of it is not thin like cheaper pads, and you'll be very comfortable just laying right on top of the mattress pad. The biggest thing I noticed about it is that the sides are deep, and it really does stay in place. My old pad would ride up on the sides and was a bit of a pain to put on and get straightened. This one hugs all sides of my mattress, even though I have a deep mattress pad because I don't have box springs.

Classic Flame 36II100GRG Wall Hanging Fireplace
Classic Flame 36II100GRG Wall Hanging Fireplace
Offered by ADDCO Electric Fireplaces
Price: $399.99
5 used & new from $273.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks much better in person than in the pictures, November 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This thing is heavy. When I first opened the box, that was the first thing I noticed. I was expecting something much lighter since it hangs on a wall, but the unit is definitely substantial (almost 60 lbs). As far as size, it is going to be comparable to a 37" LCD TV in width and height, however the depth of the unit is 10". You can mount it on the wall, but I didn't want a fireplace sticking out that far from my wall, so I elected to use the included stand to put it in front of my existing charcoal fireplace (which hasn't been used in ten years). It looks pretty good on the stand when not in use. I wasn't expecting much from the flame effect based on Amazon's pictures, but was pretty impressed once I turned it on. The product image on Amazon is really bad and doesn't do the unit justice. I suggest looking at pictures of it from the Classic Flame web site (it is the Elysium model). Although no one is going to mistake the Elysium for an actual fireplace, the flame effect is decent enough that it provides a representative appearance of an actual fire and I think it works well in a room. The product description advertises it as being able to heat up a 1000 square foot room. I tried it out in a 500 square foot room and I could feel substantial warmth after just a few minutes. It does a very good job of regulating the temperature to maintain its current setting and prevent you from getting too hot. The remote control is a great option for being able to adjust the temperature without having to get up from the couch, and the IR on the remote works well from a variety of angles and distances (you don't have to point it directly at it). There are several color options for the sidelights, but I think they look a little cheesy and elected to keep them off. Finally, a great feature is being able to use the flame effect without having to have the heater on.

QualGear  QG-TM-021-BLK Universal Ultra Slim Low Profile Articulating Wall Mounting Kit for most 23-inch to 47-inch and some 55-inch LED TVs, w/ HDMI v1.4 Cable 10 ft and 3-Axis Magnetic Bubble Level
QualGear QG-TM-021-BLK Universal Ultra Slim Low Profile Articulating Wall Mounting Kit for most 23-inch to 47-inch and some 55-inch LED TVs, w/ HDMI v1.4 Cable 10 ft and 3-Axis Magnetic Bubble Level
Offered by eHotCafé
Price: $35.00
4 used & new from $27.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality mount from a lesser known company, November 2, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I installed this on a 34" LCD computer monitor, which was extremely light to begin with. So I can't really comment on how much weight it supports, but based on the construction, I have no doubt that it will handle the claimed 55" TVs and possibly even heavier. Although it looks pretty small in the pictures, it has substantial support and is very durable. The mounting holes lined up perfectly on my VESA 100x100, and the included hardware was everything I needed (level included) to mount to my wall. Just make sure the mount is attached to studs before attaching the TV. The articulating arm gives a lot of range of movement, unlike a lot of mounts I have tried that just provide you with an extension of 2" straight forward or down. Rotate allows for 90 degrees in either direction, which is great for my 34" monitor given how wide it is, and how much photo editing I do. I wouldn't have considered a QualGear mount before using this one, but I'd be happy to look to them for any future mounts.

Lysol Cling Gel Toilet Bowl Cleaner, Ocean Scent, 24 Ounce (Pack of 4)
Lysol Cling Gel Toilet Bowl Cleaner, Ocean Scent, 24 Ounce (Pack of 4)
Price: $17.24
8 used & new from $7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Smells great and cleans pretty well, October 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It is a bit hard for me to review toilet bowl cleaners because I find that they always pretty much perform about the same. Since a lot of the cleaning is done by scrubbing the bowl, it is sometimes hard to tell how much of the cleaning is from the cleaner and how much is from elbow grease. The Lysol Cling Gel does seem to do pretty well at removing lime deposits and the hard water ring that comes from not using a toilet very often, and it does "cling" well to the bowl. Probably the best part about it is that it does have a very pleasant smell that is noticeable even after you are done cleaning.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars High on taste, average on protein, October 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have tried many different protein bars over the years, with the Quest bars probably being my favorite. I wasn't expecting much from the ZonePerfect bars, but I will have to say that these bars are probably the best tasting protein bars I have ever had. It really is like a candy bar, in that you get a lot of chocolate and a lot of oats. My problem with it, is that you don't get nearly as much protein as other "protein bars," and the third ingredient on the bar is cane syrup. I don't have a problem with cane syrup, except when a protein bar has so much of it that it has more carbohydrates than protein. I think a protein bar should contain the same or less carbs than protein. Otherwise, why not call it a carbohydrate bar? If you're counting your macros and looking to up your protein, you would do better with something else. Although the amount of cane syrup is probably the reason the bar tastes so good. I do like that it has a limited number of ingredients and they are all ingredients I understand, but I will use these more as a treat than a supplement to increase my daily protein intake.

Calphalon Textiles 2-Piece Solid and Large Check Kitchen Towel Set, Graphite
Calphalon Textiles 2-Piece Solid and Large Check Kitchen Towel Set, Graphite
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Attractive and absorbent, October 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Very high quality towels. They have a square pocketed design and are pretty thick and absorbent, so they work well as kitchen towels. They work great for drying dishes or for general kitchen cleaning. The other thing I like about them is that they're large so you can get a lot of use out of them before having to wash them.

Playskool Rock, Ride n Stride Hippo
Playskool Rock, Ride n Stride Hippo
Price: $34.99
11 used & new from $22.91

4.0 out of 5 stars 10 months may be a little young for this toy, but should grow into it., October 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Got this for a ten month old, which is the suggested age on the product. It was somewhat easy to set up. There are only a few parts and they all clip together, except for a couple pieces which have to be screwed in. Took me about 5 minutes. I was pretty annoyed to discover it did not come with the two AA batteries it need for the music and lit up buttons. My niece seemed to be interested in it, but she is too young to sit on it and rock. She just falls over. It is advertised as a toy that grows with the child, so that is okay. Just expect that you will have pretty limited use for it if you start at that young of an age. She did like dragging it around the house and pushing the buttons that played songs and sounds.

Amazon Protective Cover for Kindle Voyage, Slate Grey
Amazon Protective Cover for Kindle Voyage, Slate Grey
Price: $44.99
4 used & new from $40.09

3.0 out of 5 stars Hands-free design does not work on a 6" e-reader, October 21, 2014
I am a big fan of the Amazon official Kindle covers and think I have given every previous one five stars. Although they are expensive compared to the cost of the Kindle, they have always kept my Kindles in new condition, even with very heavy use. They are attractive, and don't add too much bulk to the device. With the Voyage, Amazon has redesigned the cover in an attempt to add more functionality to it, by allowing you to use it as a stand for hands-free reading. Like the Paperwhite cover, it includes a magnetized bar to instantly turn the device on when opened, and put it to sleep when closed. It is also made of a durable outer shell with the same soft material on the inside to protect the screen. Unfortunately, the design doesn't work for me, and I don't think it will work for a lot of other users as well. The front flips open from the top, like a memo pad, instead of the side, like a book. While this allows you to use it as a stand, it prevents you from being able to hold the Kindle like a book. The great thing about past cover designs, is that you could fold the cover back, and then stick your index finger between the Kindle and the cover. This actually made it easier to hold a Kindle than if you used it without a cover at all. You can still somewhat do this with the new Voyage cover, but it's not as comfortable to hold. It also feels weird to flip the cover from the top and I think it takes away slightly from the reading experience. I also don't see much use at all to the ability to use my Kindle hands-free. The display is too small to have the Kindle much more than a couple feet from your face, and the fact that you have to touch it every 30 seconds to change the page means it is more work to use it hands-free than just to hold it. When the Kindle has the ability to track my eye movement and scroll the page, this might be useful. For now, it is more of a hassle and feels awkward. There is no point in having it on a 6" reader. If you have never wished you had a stand to hold your paperback book, you will likely not use this stand either.

PROS
- Looks great
- Sturdy
- Auto device wake/sleep when opening
- Cover snaps onto Voyage much easier than the Paperwhite and Touch covers. Easy to take on and off
- Magnetic origami stand is easier and quicker to set up then a cover with slots like iPad

CONS
- Limited"hands-free" function
- Heavy (weighs almost 3/4 the weight of the Voyage. Adding it makes a big difference in the feel of the voyage).
- Awkward to open
- Makes Kindle feel less like a book and more like a tablet
- Makes Kindle harder to hold than without the cover
- Price (almost 25% of the cost of an already inexpensive device)

Ultimately, the cover does do a great job of protecting the Voyage, which is its main purpose. I also love the auto-wake feature, which I think is exclusive to official Kindle covers. Those two features, especially not having to manually turn my Kindle on, are just (barely) enough for three stars. If it was half the price, I would likely keep it. Unfortunately, this is probably the first time I will return a Kindle cover to Amazon and go with a third party option or nothing at all. I need to spend more time with it, but the weird design is just not the right fit for the Voyage.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2014 2:27 PM PDT

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Pumpkin and Chicken Meal Formula with Papaya Dental Chew for Regular Breeds, 12 Count
Price: $17.01
6 used & new from $17.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great Natural Balance product, although I think the LIT dental chews are better, September 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love the Natural Balance line of dental chews and prefer them over Greenies. They have a great list of ingredients, and for the month I've been using them, they seem to work at keeping my dog's teeth clean. I don't know if pumpkin and papaya are foods that dogs love, but I have read that pumpkin is good for settling a dog's stomach, so if your dog is a finicky eater, you might try this flavor over others. Although I like the pumpkin formula, I prefer the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Treat (L.I.T) dental chews over the regular brand. They have almost half as many ingredients.

ALEX Toys - ALEX Junior, Porcupine Pounder Baby Activity Center with (8) Colorful Pegs and Mallet, 1955
Price: $20.74
8 used & new from $14.14

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 months may be a little young - 12 months is probably a better age, September 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I tried this out with a ten month-old. She was definitely interested in it and seemed to grasp the hammering part, but not the part where you're supposed to hit the blocks. The blocks fit in the holes easily and when all have been knocked down, you can flip the porcupine over and they will be standing up on the other side. Although she was more interested in putting the hammer in her mouth, it seems like a good way to develop hand eye coordination.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2014 8:13 AM PDT