Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Profile for Syzygies > Reviews

Browse

Syzygies' Profile

Customer Reviews: 47

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Syzygies RSS Feed (New York NY and Concord, CA, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Les Artistes Coffee and Tea Cups (2 Pack), 6 oz, Brown
Les Artistes Coffee and Tea Cups (2 Pack), 6 oz, Brown
Offered by timsbargains
Price: $12.15
12 used & new from $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Textured silicone holds scent of dishwasher detergent, March 29, 2016
These are very charming cups. I use them for "short" cappuccinos; they're just big enough, bigger than the petite mugs I had. In the hand, beautifully made, and everything one might hope from the picture.

Alas, the textured silicone on the exterior picks up the scent of my dishwasher detergent. I find this distracting, so I must hand wash these cups, along with my other espresso gear that gets hand washed.

There may be comments to the contrary. Dishwasher detergents vary. The scent fades if one can rotate stock. This kind of assertion is impossible to refute, as senses of smell differ. I have a friend who could tell twelve German wines apart blind, four hours later. I'm not in that league but I notice things my wife misses.

Dualit 26555 2-Slice Design Series Toaster, Black and Steel
Dualit 26555 2-Slice Design Series Toaster, Black and Steel
Price: $129.95
9 used & new from $110.46

3.0 out of 5 stars "Bagel" mode wired backwards on three units, March 18, 2016
In principle, a variant on the Queen's choice, best toaster on the market. I have received three in a row from Amazon with the "bagel" setting wired backwards: In "bagel" mode, sacrificial toast burns first on the outsides, not the insides, because all outside filaments glow, and a few inside filaments glow.

I have multiple theories. Amazon briefly pulled these from their site to check. Either the checker misunderstood the problem, or they were lucky and I have been unlucky. Or an incorrectly wired batch that Dualit wanted discarded instead arrived at Amazon via a consolidator, who can't return this bad batch to Dualit, and wants to tough it out. Or Dualit specified an incorrect design for wiring this toaster, and quality control missed the issue, so all units are defective. I am a rather OCD mathematician and have been the first person to catch a number of global issues like this before; nothing would surprise me.

Amazon has been very helpful, and is handling the returns exactly as one would hope.

Can anyone verify that they have a working unit? Describe exactly what you see in "bagel" mode. Which filaments glow? Which sides of toast come out darker?

I am ordering a fourth unit through different channels, "vendor shipped", so I expect to continue this conversation directly with Dualit if there are further problems.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2016 6:25 AM PDT

Samsung 850 EVO - 2TB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E2T0B/AM)
Samsung 850 EVO - 2TB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E2T0B/AM)
Price: $697.99
15 used & new from $400.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Excruciating "virtual spin up" lag, February 15, 2016
Length:: 1:39 Mins

Simply mounting a volume from this SSD caused painful lags in file operations in OS X El Capitan, across the board for files that did not reside on this volume. The video demonstrates an excruciating delay in a simple test case, opening a small TIFF file that reside on my internal SSD on my new iMac 5K. When no volumes are mounted from this Samsung 850 EVO 2 TB SSD, the TIFF file opens immediately. When I mount a volume from this Samsung SSD, there is an excruciating delay in opening this TIFF file. I reproduced this behavior in multiple enclosures, using both Thunderbolt and USB3. I could not reproduce this behavior with other brands of SSD.

Mac OS X has always had a problem handling a mix of mechanical and solid state external drives; operating system after operating system, it waits for all mounted drives to spin up on most file operations, rather than assuming a default that file operations will access the system volume. The controller on this Samsung SSD is introducing a "virtual" spin up lag on these file operations. As I care about fixing Apple's design spec for volume handling, this Samsung SSD is a researcher's gift, like discovering a lab rat prone to cancer. However, I'm not so happy about having spent $650 on an SSD with such a sloppy controller.

Spending time on the phone with Apple, Samsung, and Other World Computing, it was clear that Samsung support isn't the coldest beer in the fridge. They will honor my warranty, whatever that means (we'll see if the problem goes away), but they could offer no diagnostic help, and they took issue with my using an "internal" drive in an external enclosure. No appreciation of standards compliance, more of a flailing attempt to cast blame elsewhere, and they didn't get my joke when I referred to their stance as a "sodomy" law. Apple in contrast recognized that I knew more than first responder AppleCare, and promoted me to a senior tech who may in fact fix this problem with OS X.

Samsung welcomed my intention to warn people not to buy this "internal" drive for external enclosures. Huh. Be forewarned.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2016 2:03 PM PST

Sculling & Rowing Gloves (Large)
Sculling & Rowing Gloves (Large)
Offered by Sculling Gear
Price: $37.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for WaterRower, February 12, 2016
This review is from: Sculling & Rowing Gloves (Misc.)
Nice gloves, for rowing indoors on a WaterRower: WaterRower Oxbridge Rowing Machine in Cherry with S4 Monitor

Following TheCrewStop's web site instructions for measuring my hands, I was right on the boundary between Large and Extra Large. They say to choose the larger size in such cases if one has thick fingers; but reading other accounts that loved their comfortable "second skin" fit, I went with Large. I wondered at first, but they never feel too small while rowing. Rather, they're much more comfortable than bike gloves would be, preventing blisters while I can forget I have them on. They're also good for hanging from a pull up bar, great therapy recommended to me by a body worker.

As the math consultant for the film "A Beautiful Mind", I was Russell Crowe's hand double. These are my choice for rowing gloves; they should be yours.

Casabella 2-Pack Terry Scouring Cloths, Green/Orange and Plum/Orange
Casabella 2-Pack Terry Scouring Cloths, Green/Orange and Plum/Orange
Price: $6.00
6 used & new from $1.76

5.0 out of 5 stars White tub again, January 21, 2016
These are far more expensive that generic green scrubbing pads, but they have a harder, grippier tooth, as was apparent in the supermarket where I could handle them before purchase. I had a discolored bathtub, it was hard to tell if it was stained or simply a very thin film that wouldn't come off. With one of these pads and some Bar Keeper's Friend (a better version of Comet), my tub is now white as new, with no scratching.

For generic use, buy a generic pad. These pads are for special applications where price doesn't matter.

The Barcelona Cookbook: A Celebration of Food, Wine, and Life
The Barcelona Cookbook: A Celebration of Food, Wine, and Life
Price: $6.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Cookbook for the stateside chain, not the Catalan city., October 23, 2015
This is a cookbook of the chain "Barcelona Restaurant and Wine Bar", most decidedly not of the city of Barcelona. (Yes the blurb states this. After failing a half dozen times to download the sample, because my Kindle app was one step out of date, I bought this book on spec, in love with all things Catalan.) As such it is more eclectic in its influences, and more useful for adapting to stateside ingredients. Four stars is for the book, and does not reflect my mistake.

If one really wants to cook authentic Catalan, the best resources are all in the Catalan language, which is unexpectedly readable at least for cooking, if one has a smattering of Spanish and French. One candidate for best dish is Fideuà (paella made with noodles). There is no hint of these noodles here, as either a paella or risotto substitute. I'm just giving an example; this book is a rather interpretive take on Catalan cooking.

Ball Hex Driver, 5mm, 9 in L, Black 91610
Ball Hex Driver, 5mm, 9 in L, Black 91610

1.0 out of 5 stars Not true to size, August 30, 2015
Mine arrived with a very sloppy fit. It was almost able to turn freely in a 5mm socket, that accepts standard 5mm allen wrenches snugly.

The picture says it all. You can't do this with a true 5mm allen wrench. The ball end is rounded for a reason. This demonstration shows that the shaft itself is too small, by a significant margin. The ball end shares this too-small cross-section, which is why it is so sloppy.

FrogLeggs LED Freestanding Flashlight
FrogLeggs LED Freestanding Flashlight
Offered by zmOffers LLC.
Price: $9.88

5.0 out of 5 stars These are great, portable area night lights, August 11, 2015
These are great, portable area night lights. They take a pair of CR2032 batteries, included and as little as $0.80 to replace the pair on Amazon, buying blister packs in quantity. The batteries are easily changed.

One can't tell from the picture: These are wonderfully tippy, and bottom weighted. They recover to pointing up, no matter what happens to them. Playing with them in a store (I paid the "low" price of four dollars at a home improvement store), they're irresistible.

Rugged ranch 089555 The Ratinator Multiple Catch Live Rat Trap
Rugged ranch 089555 The Ratinator Multiple Catch Live Rat Trap
Offered by Ablackhorse
Price: $78.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes! With attention, works for roof rats., August 11, 2015
Our country store recommended this trap for roof rats, in Concord, CA. I was concerned that the rats would be too smart for this trap, but "suspicious" is the better word. I caught none in my first cycle, but with better technique I caught two in the next cycle, and five this morning.

Read up on roof rats before proceeding; this is hunting, and you need to understand your quarry. We've observed roof rats jumping from a sloping shed roof to nearby vegetation. I built a level 2' x 3' platform from plywood and a 2x4, to rest on the roof in this area of observed traffic. The trap door needs to be level in the direction that it swings up and down.

I bait the center feeding well with kibble that our dog has grown tired of, and a 49 cent can of cat food. They can't get at this well, but the fragrance carries. I set a small plastic container inside the trap area where rats can visit, filled with fresh water: The drought is responsible for an increase in roof rats (they are now destroying our food crops), and I only began trapping rats after including water as bait.

For three nights, I cable-tie the trap door into the open position, and sprinkle a trail of kibble from outside on the platform, along the trap door passage, into the inside containment area. One will see rat droppings, and the scattered kibble will disappear.

On trapping night, I rebait with a fresh can of cat food, fresh water, and ample kibble, freeing the trap door so that it can swing closed. Once inside, it is surprising that the rats don't learn to do a pull-up on the trap door edge, to bring it back down and exit. Apparently they don't.

The next morning, find a level spot on the ground, and fill the accompanying plastic tub with water. This is rarely spelled out; one has a responsibility to humanely destroy these rats, rather than releasing them elsewhere. Important: Secure the trap door SHUT with a cable tie before moving the trap from the roof, down the ladder, to the water tub. One may need to carry the trap hanging sideways, like a briefcase; if one forgets to secure the door, the rats may escape.

We spent thousands rebuilding and securing a shed that the rats had invaded. If you consider $50 expensive for a trap that works, you don't have a rat problem. The real cost here is the hunter effort: Learning about the rats, and following a multiday cycle to insure their capture.

Note the platform photo. The junction boxes are to hold trimmed Terro ant traps. The retrofit is to keep the board from warping. The design is tuned to make a level platform on this particular roof.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Medium Cvault Container - By Freshstor - Interior Dimension 4" x 2.25"
Medium Cvault Container - By Freshstor - Interior Dimension 4" x 2.25"
Offered by Alternative Sourcing
Price: $20.55
4 used & new from $18.94

3.0 out of 5 stars I prefer Glasslock alternative, with tea sacks, June 28, 2015
I'm also having buckle latches fail after a few months. The new x-Small design (only from manufacturer site, so far) is a better, buckle-free design.

For storing a gram of this tea, a gram of that tea, all in the same CVault, consider the obvious: fill-it-yourself tea bags. Label contents on outside, fold to close, trim excess flap. Humidity passes nicely through the tea bag, which takes very little space.

If one is using various tea sacks, then Glasslock makes a nice alternative. Their 14 oz round is essentially the same size as a medium CVault. Just put the Boveda humidity pack on the bottom of the container, then the tea sacks:

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5