Profile for Sababa > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sababa RSS Feed

Joy of Kosher: Fast, Fresh Family Recipes
Joy of Kosher: Fast, Fresh Family Recipes
by Jamie Geller
Price: $21.91
91 used & new from $11.50

1.0 out of 5 stars It's a brand - but is it a cookbook?, October 20, 2013
I confess - I have not had much luck with the Bride Who Knew Nothing. I returned the first book in the series after discovering recipes that said "open a jar of _____ and dump over chicken." The second book did not fare much better - I donated my copy to my local library - too many fussy recipes and wine promotions on every page + a supermarket promo/coupon in the back! Gee whiz. I think the best thing about these books is the photographs - they are great. Honestly, this series of cookbooks are long on marketing ideas but short on culinary ones. In the end, I stick to every Susie Fishbein cookbook every published, as well as a bunch of others - Hip and Kosher is terrific (great recipes, NO photos!), Gatherings (a cookbook put together by a bunch of Moms in Toronto that is just full of great flavors), the two classic Kosher Palettes, the old but classic workhorse Spice and Spirit (created by some mighty talented home cooks from Chabad Lubavitch - might be out of print but worth it if you can find it), and many more. Btw, there are so many terrific recipes available for free online, and many can be adapted to kosher cooking. Bon Apetit!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2014 3:48 AM PST

All Clear (Hugo Award Winner - Best Novel)
All Clear (Hugo Award Winner - Best Novel)
by Connie Willis
Price: $18.77
85 used & new from $0.81

2.0 out of 5 stars After 1,110 pages it's NOT All Clear!, October 31, 2010
I absolutely loved Blackout - it has to be one of the very best in the genre ever written. But after 500 pages, I have to say that I was mighty disappointed that I would have to wait several months for book #2. Setting aside the fact that it was nearly impossible to remember where all of the characters and various plots and subplots had left off when I started All Clear -- I agree with previous reviewers: there's lots of repetition here, too much confusing back and forth dialogue {I really wonder if anyone besides dear Ms Willis could actually follow the narrative all the way through) and lots of pages to plow through to get to the end. A brilliant writer, but All Clear is clearly a let down.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2010 10:39 PM PDT

Slow Love: How I Lost My Job, Put On My Pajamas & Found Happiness
Slow Love: How I Lost My Job, Put On My Pajamas & Found Happiness
by Dominique Browning
111 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Unemployed.. and Living in Newport!, August 5, 2010
Dominique Browning spins a really good tale. I went along with her story, watching as our heroine downsized to a modest little house on the water in Rhode Island. Wow, she really broke away from all that House Beautiful stuff. Or did she? The author lives in a $2 million+ house near Newport, Rhode Island! That revelation sort of destroyed the author's credibility for me. Kind of like seeing the guy behind the curtain in the Wizard of Oz.