Profile for Hannah > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 72

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Hannah RSS Feed

Offered by Media Megalodon
Price: $7.00
27 used & new from $0.55

4.0 out of 5 stars The Eastern Bride of Christ, January 6, 2014
This review is from: The Eastern Bride (DVD)
While not very high quality as a film, this movie does a good job telling and showing what is going on with Christians in China and the Middle East. I especially appreciate the clarification between the registered church in China and the secret church.

The fictional story and characters carry the movie well, and I love the real locations.

Ransomed
Ransomed
by Elizabeth Ender
Price: $6.75
4 used & new from $6.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story told with beautiful words accompanied by beautiful illustrations., December 25, 2013
This review is from: Ransomed (Paperback)
When dying, the apostle Peter wrote to the church these words, "For this reason I will not be negligent to remind you always of these things, though you know and are established in the present truth. Yes, I think it is right, as long as I am in this tent, to stir you up by reminding you, knowing that shortly I must put off my tent, just as our Lord Jesus Christ showed me."

The story of Ransomed is not new to me. It is an old story, written by the Master of Storytellers, and retold by hundreds before Elizabeth Ender.
Yet it is a story so powerful, so beautiful, so crucial to life, that it needs to be told and retold and retold again. And this may be one of my favorite re-tellings yet.

Like the author of Hebrews, Elizabeth writes with few words, yet speaks so much. Ransomed is tiny, but its characters are real, its love is true, its story complete.

The beautiful illustrations are a crowning touch. I'd love this book in large hardcover, perfect for the coffee table.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good history and good story, October 22, 2013
While I don't care for the way Bond framed two of his other books, his use of that literary device in this book is spot on. Neil and his Latin teacher drew me in at once with their contentious relationship, and I loved the tying together of Hadrian's wall today and two thousand years ago. The past and the present are woven together, the truth of the one reflecting on the truth of the other.

I appreciate Rusticus as the stoic Roman soldier, willing to challenge everything he's known. Then there's Calum, a Celt living under Roman rule, who is strangely peaceful and confident in the face of great odds. Can the gods bring Rusticus through the enemies that surround him? Who is the Christ Calum speaks of? Good stuff. :)

I love the history, I love the Latin, and I love the characters.

P.S. If you like this book, you may enjoy The Shadow Things, for slightly more mature readers.

Monster
Monster
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Monster, October 17, 2013
This review is from: Monster (Kindle Edition)
This book is not my normal genre, not something I usually am comfortable reading. (The very title Monster suggests it's disturbing.) But all the glowing reviews, the fact that the author used to be my friend, and the knowledge that my sister had bought the book (so it was easy to access), were enough to persuade me to try it.

Let me join the chorus of voices that are saying, "This is a really good book."

While definitely not for everyone, Monster tackles some hard issues in a winsome way, winning my heart with her characters along the way.

The best part about the book is that it is very believable. Though it is set only 40 years in the future, I can imagine our culture having technologically developed and morally declined that far (though I sure hope it won't!) And with very few exceptions, all of the characters are real people, whose thoughts and actions are easy to understand.

Because it is so believable, the picture of the value of human life--how precious each human is, shines clearly and beautifully.

Though I'd hesitate to recommend this to any of my younger friends, I'm pleased that the violence (particularly torturous medical procedures), romance, and intensity never got beyond what I'm willing to read, so I was able to read it to the end (all in one sitting of course).

End of the Spear
End of the Spear
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye-opening in many ways, September 25, 2013
This review is from: End of the Spear (Kindle Edition)
Before reading this book I had read other books about the 5 missionaries and Waodani and I watched the movie End of the Spear.

This is the best of them all.

Of course, I don't know how good it is as an introduction to all of these people and events. But being familiar with all of the above, I found this book to be the most engaging, the most informative, and the most enlightening.

I love hearing about it all directly from Steve. The book begins with Aunt Rachel's death (years after the killing) and moves forward to the present, with frequent flashbacks. As I already knew the story, I loved this format and it strongly held my interest.

Steve gives such insight into the Waodani culture, and shows how crazy and violent we foreigners appear to them. This book answers all of my questions and gives a beautiful glimpse into both Steve's American and his Waodani family.

It is so amazing to see how God has used these ordinary people in amazing ways.

The Island Queen: Dethroned by Fire and Water: A Tale of the Southern Hemisphere (Vision Forum's R.M. Ballantyne)
by R. M. Ballantyne
17 used & new from $11.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed, July 21, 2013
This book is so much fun. Dominick, Pauline, and Otto are great main characters. Each of the siblings has their own personality and character strengths. As girls have little appearance in most Ballantine books, I appreciate Pauline's character especially.
Unlike Ballantine's similar book, The Coral Island, The Island Queen contents itself with very brief descriptions of the flora and fauna, and only goes into detail once or twice about things the siblings made.
This book deals with many issues, such as starvation, government, alcoholism, justice, and God's providence, just touching on each of them.
While the characters' Christianity does not often enter the book, what is there is true and good. I especially appreciated the discussion near the end about how we can be grateful and hopeful for everything because God uses even sin for good.

The Door in the Dragon's Throat (The Cooper Kids Adventure Series #1)
The Door in the Dragon's Throat (The Cooper Kids Adventure Series #1)
by Frank Peretti
Price: $6.99
133 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, July 21, 2013
I liked the faith in God and emphasis that Jesus is more powerful than anything else. However, I am uncomfortable with the character's using Jesus' name like a powerful amulet to ward off danger.

While the tie-in to a certain passage of Scripture was intriguing, I don't think how it is interpreted by the story's plot matches the rest of Scripture. Also, the resolution of the main mystery of the book doesn't make sense. It's a huge spoiler, though, so I can't say more.

Other than a few good moments, most of the characters are weak. We are told at the beginning that the two teenagers are accustomed to danger and fully capable of taking care of themselves. Yet within minutes they are confronted by a poisonous snake (something one would think they'd be prepared for) and Dad has to run to the rescue.

On the other hand, I enjoyed the description of the land and the various gadgets they used

Sarah and the pelican (Prairie adventure series)
Sarah and the pelican (Prairie adventure series)
by Margaret A. Epp
31 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Similar to Little House, but early 1900's and God is a part of it, April 30, 2013
Sarah Scott loves threshing time. This year, it is even more exciting as the the Scott family has two threshing teams (forty men total) working on their farm. But the very first day, Sarah's father dismisses her from the excitement to watch cows all day. Lying in the grass by herself, the girl feels as lonely as a pelican in the wilderness.

Mostly, the Scott family is hardworking, joyful, and loving. Yet Sarah knows there is one shadow in their life. It shows up when Father prays, asking grace for "our absent loved one." She hears whispers of it at her sister's wedding.

I and my little brother really enjoyed this story. Sarah is a normal girl, with right and wrong thoughts and a young relationship with God. The girl and her family go through little trials and blessings, without anything being particularly scary or heart-wrenching. Simple, pleasant, Christian, and heartwarming.

With Wolfe in Canada The Winning of a Continent
With Wolfe in Canada The Winning of a Continent
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great history and values, April 25, 2013
While the purely fictional part of this story may overshadow the history it contains, With Wolfe in Canada is an excellent historical fiction. Beginning in England, it gives intriguing background to the fictional plot and characters, the only history here being cultural. After several chapters, however, the main character, James, gets shipped across the ocean, and here the fun and the history get to meet. James experience many different aspects of the war in America, and meets some prestigious characters, such as George Washington. The fictional plot is woven well through the historical events, and comes to a satisfying, if predictable, end. The climax at the battle of Quebec is very well done so that one can see the battle in ones mind.

The King's Daughter and Other Stories for Girls
The King's Daughter and Other Stories for Girls
Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Little lessons through stories, April 25, 2013
I loved this book when my mum got it from the library for me when I was nine. Though I only remembered a few of the stories, those had a profound impact on me. Recently, I purchased the kindle edition for free. To my surprise, the "stories" are mostly like little sermons, using true stories as illustrations of some lesson. Though I found them interesting enough to read now, I would have expected the book to be boring to a young girl. Knowing that I enjoyed and profited from it as a youngster, I decided to give it to my little sister. She loves it.
Maybe only a spoonful of story is needed to make the truth go down in the most delightful way. :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8