Profile for Nick > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 781

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nick RSS Feed (Chicago)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Belkin QODE Slim Style Universal Keyboard Case for 10-Inch Devices (F5L179ttBLK)
Price: $95.93
6 used & new from $95.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great keyboard case at a bit of a premium price, July 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great keyboard case. I had an older Samsung Tab that needed a new case and a keyboard to give it another life and this did the trick.

The keyboard was easy to pair with the Tab, and I was off to the races. The keyboard itself has a good feel to it - gave me the impression that I was typing on a Thinkpad. The case itself has a nice think but sturdy feel like it would survive a rough throw/drop, and with the magnetic case, the tablet will stay put even during under the roughest treatment. More importantly, this is a case that looks professional and stylish. I'd have no problem recommending this to my CEO for use at the office. It truly is a classy looking tablet case. You have easy access to the tablet's camera with the design of the case for those who use their tablet as a photography device. When reading with one hand with the keyboard folding behind the tablet, you do tend to notice the additional weight from the case (it does double the weight) but it doesn't seem to really bother me that much but I could see where it would be bothersome.

Overall this is a great case. And like most Belkin products, it's priced at a premium. There are other and much cheaper options, but I think is a worthy case/keyboard combination to consider. 4.5 stars.

Proactiv+ Cleansing Body Bars, 2 bars (5.25 ounce each)
Proactiv+ Cleansing Body Bars, 2 bars (5.25 ounce each)
Price: $39.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the investment!, July 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used Proactiv as a acne-ridden teenager (boy those were awkward times) and now that I'm approaching 40, I don't need them. However, the teenager does, and they're fighting with acne. It's not cheap, but if my parents thought they were worth the investment 20 years ago, then I needed to do the same.

After two weeks, I noticed a remarkable improvement on the kid's face, but what stuck out at me the most was the attitude change - no longer hidden behind acne, the kid seemed more confident and ready to take on the summer with cleaner skin. The bars have a slight but decent odor, and did a good job at cleaning the skin.

However, as another reviewer pointed out, Neutrogena, who I adore, has acne wash with salicylic acid for a lot less than the soap, so I'd be tempted to try that in order to save money since $40 for 2 bars of soap can add up. Overall, I'm happy that my kid is happy, but at the same time, there might be better, cheaper solutions in Neutrogena.

Contigo Autoseal Dandelion Gizmo Sip Kids Water Bottle, 14 oz., Cherry Blossom
Contigo Autoseal Dandelion Gizmo Sip Kids Water Bottle, 14 oz., Cherry Blossom
Price: $11.41
4 used & new from $11.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing for a 3 year old's daily use, June 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love my Contigo coffee mug, and I was a little apprehensive about this for my nearly 3 year old. However, it's her new favorite accessory and it's easy to use for her. I love the fact that it doesn't leak, and is easy to clean. Most importantly is that she's able to use this and drink without spilling it on herself or other things. She insists on taking this to bed with her at night since she likes it so much! The transparent lid is an added bonus since she's curious to see how this works and doesn't spill. I like this so much that I bought an adult-sized one for my commuter bag. Another winning product from Contigo

National Geographic Traveler: Thailand, 4th Edition
National Geographic Traveler: Thailand, 4th Edition
by Phil Macdonald
Price: $19.45
56 used & new from $14.25

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the travel guide Thailand deserves, June 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a marvelous travel guide! Finally there's a travel guide that strikes the balance between portable, practical information and jaw-dropping photos. I've been to Thailand many years ago, and the pictures took me for a walk down memory lane to the point that I felt the humidity from the photos. The book also has DK Eyewitness-like cutaway drawings of diagrams of temples along with walking tours and getting around like locals.

The information is pretty indepth for a portable book. It does a good job at balancing the independent travel spirit found in Lonely Planet and the more upscale Fodor and Frommer's. I'd feel comfortable taking this on an independent low-budget self-guided tour, along with giving this to friends who do more upscale trips. Granted, I'd want to use multiple resources for a trip to Thailand, but this is a great starting point.

If you're going to plan a trip to Thailand, or want to invest in a quality book to armchair travel through Thailand, this is the best book I've read on Thailand in close to 15 years of Thailand tour books.

Fekkai Soleil Beach Waves Spray, 5 Fluid Ounce
Fekkai Soleil Beach Waves Spray, 5 Fluid Ounce
Price: $16.91
13 used & new from $15.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Added curls but a little sticky, June 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When you live in the Midwest, having "beach hair" is a luxury, so naturally, you'll do anything to emulate it. My better half used the spray for two weeks, and reported that the spray did the job for the most part and added a bit of curl to somewhat curly hair (3A.) The odor was fine - she reported it as "pleasant" and I had half-expected something nauseating but this was pleasant enough. The hair to me looked nicer but I couldn't articulate why, but she reported that her hair had a shine to it. The only downside, according to her, was the slight stickiness of the spray. At $20, it's a bit pricy especially if you have longer hair, but overall, she was pleased and if she's pleased, then I'm happy.

The Amorous Intrigues and Adventures of Aaron Burr
The Amorous Intrigues and Adventures of Aaron Burr
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars 50 Shades of Aaron Burr, June 10, 2015
Without a doubt, Aaron Burr is one of the more unique characters in the early days of the United States. A Princeton graduate at the age of 16 and a lieutenant colonel in the Revolutionary War at 21, Burr was on track for amazing things - including multiple romances and flings in addition to founding what is now part of JPMorgan Chase bank, being Vice President and killing Alexander Hamilton in a duel.

This book was anonymously written in 1860, supposedly relied on his notes of sexual conquests from his early years to his post-Hamilton duel time in Europe. For a book written in 1860, it's pretty descriptive in its own way with what we presume is heavily fictionalized encounters with some rhetorical flourish. Whether it was designed to make him look like a sex-crazed fool or whether it's accurate, it makes for amazing reading.

The ebook, however, is of mediocre quality, with a fair number of errors and really needs to be cleaned up and properly formatted. Still, for less than a dollar, you have a great story about a man who could have been the American Napoleon if things went slightly different.

American Baby Company Cotton Percale Portable and Mini Crib Set
American Baby Company Cotton Percale Portable and Mini Crib Set
Offered by BabyHaven

3.0 out of 5 stars Great blanket, average sheet, June 10, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been looking at spare sheet/blanket sets for the mini crib that we have, and was anxious to try this out. I was happy to have a bumper first and foremost since I'm overly paranoid about the kid getting stuck or worse against the bars of the mini crib. The fleece blanket was nice and soft and of good quality and I kind of wish they'd make an adult sized one. The sheet itself wasn't that great - it felt kind of cheap and I had to wash it twice in order to make it nicer, but I'll probably end up replacing it.

Overall this is a decent set, but you'll probably want to invest in a way better sheet than this. If American Baby Company replaced the sheet, then they've got themselves a winner.

Belkin MIXIT 6-Inch Metallic Lightning to USB Cable for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus, iPhone 5 / 5S / 5c and iPod touch 5th Gen (Silver)
Price: $22.74
3 used & new from $19.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice cable, but pricy, June 10, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Belkin MIXIT metallic lightning cable is a nice spare cable for your iPhone/iPad, however, it's nearly twice the cost of other MFi cables in that same length. The cable itself is of good quality - I like the narrower plug on the Lightning plug side when compared to the AmazonBasics line, which is wide enough to prevent insertion with lots of cases.

But at $20 for a 6" cable is ludicrous, even with Belkin's premium pricing. You're better off getting the superior and far less expensive Anker brand of cables that are of the same build quality as this Belkin.

In Our Town
In Our Town
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Small Town Americana in 1900 from a talented writer, June 8, 2015
This review is from: In Our Town (Kindle Edition)
What a fantastic book! I stumbled across William Allen White's name in a David Mamet essay, and was blown away at his writing in Masks in a Pageant. Since ebooks of his are very rare to find, I decided to give In Our Town a try. It's a series of short stories about the goings of White's small town (Emporia, Kansas) and the lives of its residents. Emporia, despite its size, had a fair number of interesting stories - from High Society, rich men and their affairs to the lives and deaths of its residents, including the "language" in which they speak (I particularly liked "Bill Parker is making his eighth biennial distribution of cigars today for a boy" (as opposed to "Mr and Mrs Parker had a baby boy).)

I wish there was more William Allen White available on the Kindle - his prose is pretty amazing and he'll use 40 words when 4 will suffice, but those 40 words are quite a journey you're happy to partake.

Intermatic IG2240-IMS Whole Home Surge Protection Device with Consumable Modules
Price: $283.91
5 used & new from $225.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice solid protection that gives peace of mind, June 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Protecting my investment in high-end AV equipment and other electronics has been on my mind for a while. Until now, I've been "cheaping out" and using power strips with surge protection, with the false hope that it'll "do the job" - which it probably won't.

The Intermatic Whole Home is pretty nice - I really like the idea of user replaceable modules that I can swap out on my own in the event that I need to. And for $50, it's "affordable" when compared to replacing or getting equipment fixed. The Intermatic box is built solidly - it feels pretty rugged - and is UL approved (majorly important to me.) Obviously, something like this needs to be installed by an electrician - I was quoted $300 from a local electrician - so figure on doubling the cost. This is not a thing you want installed by amateurs.

There's no real way to test this - even if there was, I'd still be weary of testing it out to see if my home equipment didn't fry in the event of a surge - but there's a peace of mind that something like this gives on top of some flimsy surge protector. That in itself is worth the price of the Intermatic Whole Home surge protector.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20