Profile for Nick > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 780

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nick RSS Feed (Chicago)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Proactiv+ Cleansing Body Bars, 2 bars (5.25 ounce each)
Proactiv+ Cleansing Body Bars, 2 bars (5.25 ounce each)

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the investment!, July 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used Proactiv as a acne-ridden teenager (boy those were awkward times) and now that I'm approaching 40, I don't need them. However, the teenager does, and they're fighting with acne. It's not cheap, but if my parents thought they were worth the investment 20 years ago, then I needed to do the same.

After two weeks, I noticed a remarkable improvement on the kid's face, but what stuck out at me the most was the attitude change - no longer hidden behind acne, the kid seemed more confident and ready to take on the summer with cleaner skin. The bars have a slight but decent odor, and did a good job at cleaning the skin.

However, as another reviewer pointed out, Neutrogena, who I adore, has acne wash with salicylic acid for a lot less than the soap, so I'd be tempted to try that in order to save money since $40 for 2 bars of soap can add up. Overall, I'm happy that my kid is happy, but at the same time, there might be better, cheaper solutions in Neutrogena.

Contigo Autoseal Dandelion Gizmo Sip Kids Water Bottle, 14 oz., Cherry Blossom
Contigo Autoseal Dandelion Gizmo Sip Kids Water Bottle, 14 oz., Cherry Blossom
Price: $12.18
2 used & new from $11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing for a 3 year old's daily use, June 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love my Contigo coffee mug, and I was a little apprehensive about this for my nearly 3 year old. However, it's her new favorite accessory and it's easy to use for her. I love the fact that it doesn't leak, and is easy to clean. Most importantly is that she's able to use this and drink without spilling it on herself or other things. She insists on taking this to bed with her at night since she likes it so much! The transparent lid is an added bonus since she's curious to see how this works and doesn't spill. I like this so much that I bought an adult-sized one for my commuter bag. Another winning product from Contigo

National Geographic Traveler: Thailand, 4th Edition
National Geographic Traveler: Thailand, 4th Edition
by Phil Macdonald
Price: $19.85
53 used & new from $15.23

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the travel guide Thailand deserves, June 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a marvelous travel guide! Finally there's a travel guide that strikes the balance between portable, practical information and jaw-dropping photos. I've been to Thailand many years ago, and the pictures took me for a walk down memory lane to the point that I felt the humidity from the photos. The book also has DK Eyewitness-like cutaway drawings of diagrams of temples along with walking tours and getting around like locals.

The information is pretty indepth for a portable book. It does a good job at balancing the independent travel spirit found in Lonely Planet and the more upscale Fodor and Frommer's. I'd feel comfortable taking this on an independent low-budget self-guided tour, along with giving this to friends who do more upscale trips. Granted, I'd want to use multiple resources for a trip to Thailand, but this is a great starting point.

If you're going to plan a trip to Thailand, or want to invest in a quality book to armchair travel through Thailand, this is the best book I've read on Thailand in close to 15 years of Thailand tour books.

Fekkai Soleil Beach Waves Spray, 5 Fluid Ounce
Fekkai Soleil Beach Waves Spray, 5 Fluid Ounce
Price: $18.86
12 used & new from $15.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Added curls but a little sticky, June 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When you live in the Midwest, having "beach hair" is a luxury, so naturally, you'll do anything to emulate it. My better half used the spray for two weeks, and reported that the spray did the job for the most part and added a bit of curl to somewhat curly hair (3A.) The odor was fine - she reported it as "pleasant" and I had half-expected something nauseating but this was pleasant enough. The hair to me looked nicer but I couldn't articulate why, but she reported that her hair had a shine to it. The only downside, according to her, was the slight stickiness of the spray. At $20, it's a bit pricy especially if you have longer hair, but overall, she was pleased and if she's pleased, then I'm happy.

The Amorous Intrigues and Adventures of Aaron Burr
The Amorous Intrigues and Adventures of Aaron Burr
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars 50 Shades of Aaron Burr, June 10, 2015
Without a doubt, Aaron Burr is one of the more unique characters in the early days of the United States. A Princeton graduate at the age of 16 and a lieutenant colonel in the Revolutionary War at 21, Burr was on track for amazing things - including multiple romances and flings in addition to founding what is now part of JPMorgan Chase bank, being Vice President and killing Alexander Hamilton in a duel.

This book was anonymously written in 1860, supposedly relied on his notes of sexual conquests from his early years to his post-Hamilton duel time in Europe. For a book written in 1860, it's pretty descriptive in its own way with what we presume is heavily fictionalized encounters with some rhetorical flourish. Whether it was designed to make him look like a sex-crazed fool or whether it's accurate, it makes for amazing reading.

The ebook, however, is of mediocre quality, with a fair number of errors and really needs to be cleaned up and properly formatted. Still, for less than a dollar, you have a great story about a man who could have been the American Napoleon if things went slightly different.

American Baby Company Cotton Percale Portable and Mini Crib Set
American Baby Company Cotton Percale Portable and Mini Crib Set

3.0 out of 5 stars Great blanket, average sheet, June 10, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been looking at spare sheet/blanket sets for the mini crib that we have, and was anxious to try this out. I was happy to have a bumper first and foremost since I'm overly paranoid about the kid getting stuck or worse against the bars of the mini crib. The fleece blanket was nice and soft and of good quality and I kind of wish they'd make an adult sized one. The sheet itself wasn't that great - it felt kind of cheap and I had to wash it twice in order to make it nicer, but I'll probably end up replacing it.

Overall this is a decent set, but you'll probably want to invest in a way better sheet than this. If American Baby Company replaced the sheet, then they've got themselves a winner.

Belkin MIXIT 6-Inch Metallic Lightning to USB Cable for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus, iPhone 5 / 5S / 5c and iPod touch 5th Gen (Silver)
Offered by Titan Direct
Price: $19.29
2 used & new from $19.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice cable, but pricy, June 10, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Belkin MIXIT metallic lightning cable is a nice spare cable for your iPhone/iPad, however, it's nearly twice the cost of other MFi cables in that same length. The cable itself is of good quality - I like the narrower plug on the Lightning plug side when compared to the AmazonBasics line, which is wide enough to prevent insertion with lots of cases.

But at $20 for a 6" cable is ludicrous, even with Belkin's premium pricing. You're better off getting the superior and far less expensive Anker brand of cables that are of the same build quality as this Belkin.

In Our Town
In Our Town
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Small Town Americana in 1900 from a talented writer, June 8, 2015
This review is from: In Our Town (Kindle Edition)
What a fantastic book! I stumbled across William Allen White's name in a David Mamet essay, and was blown away at his writing in Masks in a Pageant. Since ebooks of his are very rare to find, I decided to give In Our Town a try. It's a series of short stories about the goings of White's small town (Emporia, Kansas) and the lives of its residents. Emporia, despite its size, had a fair number of interesting stories - from High Society, rich men and their affairs to the lives and deaths of its residents, including the "language" in which they speak (I particularly liked "Bill Parker is making his eighth biennial distribution of cigars today for a boy" (as opposed to "Mr and Mrs Parker had a baby boy).)

I wish there was more William Allen White available on the Kindle - his prose is pretty amazing and he'll use 40 words when 4 will suffice, but those 40 words are quite a journey you're happy to partake.

Intermatic IG2240-IMS Whole Home Surge Protection Device with Consumable Modules
Offered by Grand Home Improvement
Price: $225.99
3 used & new from $225.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice solid protection that gives peace of mind, June 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Protecting my investment in high-end AV equipment and other electronics has been on my mind for a while. Until now, I've been "cheaping out" and using power strips with surge protection, with the false hope that it'll "do the job" - which it probably won't.

The Intermatic Whole Home is pretty nice - I really like the idea of user replaceable modules that I can swap out on my own in the event that I need to. And for $50, it's "affordable" when compared to replacing or getting equipment fixed. The Intermatic box is built solidly - it feels pretty rugged - and is UL approved (majorly important to me.) Obviously, something like this needs to be installed by an electrician - I was quoted $300 from a local electrician - so figure on doubling the cost. This is not a thing you want installed by amateurs.

There's no real way to test this - even if there was, I'd still be weary of testing it out to see if my home equipment didn't fry in the event of a surge - but there's a peace of mind that something like this gives on top of some flimsy surge protector. That in itself is worth the price of the Intermatic Whole Home surge protector.

Tommee Tippee Simplee Diaper Pail Starter Set with 4 Refills, Grey
Tommee Tippee Simplee Diaper Pail Starter Set with 4 Refills, Grey
Price: $32.99
2 used & new from $27.05

3.0 out of 5 stars Good diaper pail with expensive refills, June 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Any parent will tell you that it's almost comical the amount of waste that a newborn produces. So I was curious to see how well the Tommee Tippee diaper pail would work. The pail itself is nice - well made and it looks like a normal trash can and not a diaper pail without the biohazard labels on it.

The system of liners managed to stump both of us - they're not pre-cut like trash bags are, but instead you're sealing it on both ends, which seem a bit odd as a system but it works. At the end, you're throwing out a chain of diapers. But they did do the job at vastly reducing odors. Refills are expensive - essentially an additional cartridge is $10, which will add up.

I like the pail itself, but am struggling to see the value add of their system. Maybe we're missing something, but I like this, but am not in love with this diaper pail. 3 stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2015 8:03 AM PDT