Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Learn more
Profile for Nick > Reviews

Browse

Nick's Profile

Customer Reviews: 784

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nick RSS Feed (Chicago)

Price: $14.08
97 used & new from $14.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome little USB 3.0 hub!, August 22, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's true - you can never have enough USB ports. When I use my Macbook Air, I'm always in need of more USB ports to power external drives and charge extra things but all of the USB 3.0 hubs I have are quite big and bulky, so they don't lend themselves to traveling well. The Trendnet compact hub meets the size requirements to fit in my bag of "stuff" that goes with my laptop.

As for the hub itself, I decided to stress test it by powering an external drive, a USB stick and have it charge my iPad and my Sony RX100m3. I expected one of the devices not to work since I wasn't sure if I was overpowering the hub but all worked and the two devices were charging properly. I was quite surprised that everything was functioning as expected. I worked for a while in Lightroom, with my photo drive plugged in and using the charging iPad as my second display with Duet and got a lot more work done than I had expected.

For the price, you're going to gain tons of performance out of it. The only thing you'll regret is not buying one earlier.

AVEX, Brew Pint Glass, 20oz, Slate
AVEX, Brew Pint Glass, 20oz, Slate
Price: $22.00
5 used & new from $22.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great pint glass!, August 10, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was curious to learn about Avex because I'm in love with my Contigo, and I'm such a fan of their gear that I was curious to see how it stacked up. Well, Avex and Contigo fell under the same parent company, Ignite Holdings, before they were bought by Newell Rubbermaid. So I'm guessing that a bulk of the same technology is between the two product lines. It keeps cold drinks cold and keeps my coffee hot. Magic, I tell you. Magic!

The upsides: This really does keep your beer cold. I poured a beer into my Avex glass, measured the beer at 41F with my thermometer and came back 3 hours later and it was at 47F. No glass sweat made it quite the sight to behold! Later on, I did give it a try putting Starbucks into the mug and came back 2 hours later and the coffee was still pretty warm. This pretty much confirms my belief that it's the same technology with Avex and Contigo.

The observations: I did like the bottle opener at the bottom, which was a neat addition but if I already have a bottle of beer, I'm going to drink out of the bottle of beer and not pour it into a glass unless it's a 22oz beer. It certainly does have utility, however, at parties or in public.

And the downsides: As great of a pint glass this is, I'm irritated by the marketing copy. No, I won't drag this up when I do a "14'er" or my "secret spot." If you've ever hiked with beer, you know it tends to become heavier the more you hike and when you open them, it generally ends in sadness (which is why whiskey flasks rule the day.) And this pint glass needs a lid because thanks to the rubber base at the bottom, it's made it unsteady. I did manage to knock it over twice during the testing process to simulate my drinking after 6 beers, and it was disappointing when compared to regular pint glasses. (Pro tip: For discrete drinking, your Contigo mug is your friend)

Overall I'm happy with this Avex pint. It does what it says - it'll keep your beer/water/whatever cold for a while (or your coffee hot for a while.) It borders on black magic on how it works. But the design could use a few touchups to make it a truly amazing piece of gadgetry.

Neato Botvac D75 Vacuum Cleaner
Neato Botvac D75 Vacuum Cleaner
Price: $399.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite an awesome robot vacuum!, July 31, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My old Roomba died recently and I'm hooked on a robotic vacuum that I can run while I do other things. I wasn't really familiar with Neato, but the thing that interested me the most was the fact that it cleaned in a nice linear fashion as compared to the seemingly random Roomba.

Out of the box, the Botvac D75 was easy to set up and I let the vacuum run around the living room. It did a good job at cleaning rather thick carpeting and didn't have any issues immediately going to the kitchen flooring or hardwood. In fact, the Botvac seemed to be like an off-road vehicle in the way that it fearlessly ran over small objects. The downside of that is that it runs into objects with a little more force than I'd like, like legs of tables.

I like that you can run this on a schedule but in reality, our house doesn't function like that because I'd have to pre-clean. The status display is rather nice and makes it easier for me to figure out what's wrong. The dirt bin is average sized - it seems like I have to clean it every time the vacuum runs. But I guess it's the tradeoff - it needs to be small in order to get around.

As for children and pets - the 3 year old likes setting the boundary marker so it won't run into her toys or her younger brother, and yells at the vacuum to "go home" when it's done cleaning. The dogs seems to like the Botvac better than the Roomba - or at least tolerate it better. My best guess is that it runs in an orderly fashion so the dogs can ignore it versus the Roomba's erratic movements which probably disturb the dogs. I was concerned because the Botvac is slightly louder than the Roomba and I would have thought that the noise would cause them to freak out more.

Overall I'm quite pleased. I had low hopes since I was ambivalent about my Roomba and had never heard of Neato before, but it surpassed my expectations. Of course I'd like it to be whisper quiet, but it wouldn't be as effective of a vacuum. It's saved me time and the hassle of vacuuming, which always seems to be a Herculean feat. 4.5 stars.

Belkin QODE Slim Style Universal Keyboard Case for 10-Inch Devices (F5L179ttBLK)
Price: $99.99
4 used & new from $81.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Great keyboard case at a bit of a premium price, July 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great keyboard case. I had an older Samsung Tab that needed a new case and a keyboard to give it another life and this did the trick.

The keyboard was easy to pair with the Tab, and I was off to the races. The keyboard itself has a good feel to it - gave me the impression that I was typing on a Thinkpad. The case itself has a nice think but sturdy feel like it would survive a rough throw/drop, and with the magnetic case, the tablet will stay put even during under the roughest treatment. More importantly, this is a case that looks professional and stylish. I'd have no problem recommending this to my CEO for use at the office. It truly is a classy looking tablet case. You have easy access to the tablet's camera with the design of the case for those who use their tablet as a photography device. When reading with one hand with the keyboard folding behind the tablet, you do tend to notice the additional weight from the case (it does double the weight) but it doesn't seem to really bother me that much but I could see where it would be bothersome.

Overall this is a great case. And like most Belkin products, it's priced at a premium. There are other and much cheaper options, but I think is a worthy case/keyboard combination to consider. 4.5 stars.

Proactiv+ Cleansing Body Bars, 2 bars (5.25 ounce each)
Proactiv+ Cleansing Body Bars, 2 bars (5.25 ounce each)
Price: $39.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the investment!, July 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used Proactiv as a acne-ridden teenager (boy those were awkward times) and now that I'm approaching 40, I don't need them. However, the teenager does, and they're fighting with acne. It's not cheap, but if my parents thought they were worth the investment 20 years ago, then I needed to do the same.

After two weeks, I noticed a remarkable improvement on the kid's face, but what stuck out at me the most was the attitude change - no longer hidden behind acne, the kid seemed more confident and ready to take on the summer with cleaner skin. The bars have a slight but decent odor, and did a good job at cleaning the skin.

However, as another reviewer pointed out, Neutrogena, who I adore, has acne wash with salicylic acid for a lot less than the soap, so I'd be tempted to try that in order to save money since $40 for 2 bars of soap can add up. Overall, I'm happy that my kid is happy, but at the same time, there might be better, cheaper solutions in Neutrogena.

Contigo Autoseal Dandelion Gizmo Sip Kids Water Bottle, 14 oz., Cherry Blossom
Contigo Autoseal Dandelion Gizmo Sip Kids Water Bottle, 14 oz., Cherry Blossom
Price: $11.74
3 used & new from $11.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing for a 3 year old's daily use, June 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love my Contigo coffee mug, and I was a little apprehensive about this for my nearly 3 year old. However, it's her new favorite accessory and it's easy to use for her. I love the fact that it doesn't leak, and is easy to clean. Most importantly is that she's able to use this and drink without spilling it on herself or other things. She insists on taking this to bed with her at night since she likes it so much! The transparent lid is an added bonus since she's curious to see how this works and doesn't spill. I like this so much that I bought an adult-sized one for my commuter bag. Another winning product from Contigo

National Geographic Traveler: Thailand, 4th Edition
National Geographic Traveler: Thailand, 4th Edition
by Phil Macdonald
Price: $20.48
56 used & new from $14.94

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the travel guide Thailand deserves, June 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a marvelous travel guide! Finally there's a travel guide that strikes the balance between portable, practical information and jaw-dropping photos. I've been to Thailand many years ago, and the pictures took me for a walk down memory lane to the point that I felt the humidity from the photos. The book also has DK Eyewitness-like cutaway drawings of diagrams of temples along with walking tours and getting around like locals.

The information is pretty indepth for a portable book. It does a good job at balancing the independent travel spirit found in Lonely Planet and the more upscale Fodor and Frommer's. I'd feel comfortable taking this on an independent low-budget self-guided tour, along with giving this to friends who do more upscale trips. Granted, I'd want to use multiple resources for a trip to Thailand, but this is a great starting point.

If you're going to plan a trip to Thailand, or want to invest in a quality book to armchair travel through Thailand, this is the best book I've read on Thailand in close to 15 years of Thailand tour books.

Fekkai Soleil Beach Waves Spray, 5 Fluid Ounce
Fekkai Soleil Beach Waves Spray, 5 Fluid Ounce
Price: $16.44
12 used & new from $15.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Added curls but a little sticky, June 15, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When you live in the Midwest, having "beach hair" is a luxury, so naturally, you'll do anything to emulate it. My better half used the spray for two weeks, and reported that the spray did the job for the most part and added a bit of curl to somewhat curly hair (3A.) The odor was fine - she reported it as "pleasant" and I had half-expected something nauseating but this was pleasant enough. The hair to me looked nicer but I couldn't articulate why, but she reported that her hair had a shine to it. The only downside, according to her, was the slight stickiness of the spray. At $20, it's a bit pricy especially if you have longer hair, but overall, she was pleased and if she's pleased, then I'm happy.

The Amorous Intrigues and Adventures of Aaron Burr
The Amorous Intrigues and Adventures of Aaron Burr
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars 50 Shades of Aaron Burr, June 10, 2015
Without a doubt, Aaron Burr is one of the more unique characters in the early days of the United States. A Princeton graduate at the age of 16 and a lieutenant colonel in the Revolutionary War at 21, Burr was on track for amazing things - including multiple romances and flings in addition to founding what is now part of JPMorgan Chase bank, being Vice President and killing Alexander Hamilton in a duel.

This book was anonymously written in 1860, supposedly relied on his notes of sexual conquests from his early years to his post-Hamilton duel time in Europe. For a book written in 1860, it's pretty descriptive in its own way with what we presume is heavily fictionalized encounters with some rhetorical flourish. Whether it was designed to make him look like a sex-crazed fool or whether it's accurate, it makes for amazing reading.

The ebook, however, is of mediocre quality, with a fair number of errors and really needs to be cleaned up and properly formatted. Still, for less than a dollar, you have a great story about a man who could have been the American Napoleon if things went slightly different.

American Baby Company Cotton Percale Portable and Mini Crib Set
American Baby Company Cotton Percale Portable and Mini Crib Set

3.0 out of 5 stars Great blanket, average sheet, June 10, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been looking at spare sheet/blanket sets for the mini crib that we have, and was anxious to try this out. I was happy to have a bumper first and foremost since I'm overly paranoid about the kid getting stuck or worse against the bars of the mini crib. The fleece blanket was nice and soft and of good quality and I kind of wish they'd make an adult sized one. The sheet itself wasn't that great - it felt kind of cheap and I had to wash it twice in order to make it nicer, but I'll probably end up replacing it.

Overall this is a decent set, but you'll probably want to invest in a way better sheet than this. If American Baby Company replaced the sheet, then they've got themselves a winner.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20