Profile for Nick > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 860

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nick RSS Feed (Chicago)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Born Free Bottle Genius, the Smarter Bottle Maker
Born Free Bottle Genius, the Smarter Bottle Maker
Price: $169.99
8 used & new from $169.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Very cool and helpful (but a bit pricy!), February 24, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I never thought I'd be the person who got excited over baby bottle paraphernalia, but here I am. One of my major difficulties with feeding is ensuring a consistent bottle - I invariably mess something up and when you're sleep deprived, it becomes even more of a nightmare. So the Bottle Genius is basically a "baby Keurig" - easy to set up and configure and I can dial up or down the amount of formula that I need. I like that I can ensure a consistent bottle to help minimize the fuss of the baby.

The water reservoir only holds about a liter of water, which can seem to go by rather quickly. It would have been nice to make it larger. Also, the Bottle Genius has a large footprint, making the kitchen counter that much more crowded.

Overall this is a great item, but for those with deep pockets or those who haven't quite mastered the art of baby bottles.

Athletec Sports Ultra Absorbent Yoga Towel Set, Blue
Athletec Sports Ultra Absorbent Yoga Towel Set, Blue
Price: $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice lightweight exercise towel set, February 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I sweat an obscene amount when I work out, so I needed something that I can use to clean myself up after I exercise. The yoga towel set includes two towels - the medium towel is what I use when I am on the treadmill, and the larger towel is what I use when doing situps on a yoga mat on a hardwood floor. The larger towel does a good job at gripping the floor and myself despite the sweat, so I'm not sliding when trying to stretch or do pushups. In an effort to see how grippy the towels were, I placed them on the hardwood floor and tried to shuffle as best as I can to see how well the towel would stick. The results were pretty impressive - the towel stayed put for the most part, and I'm surprised that I didn't tear the towel. The towels feel good against the skin despite them feeling thin (I was worried I'd accidentally poke a hole through them like some towels) but have held up quite well after a week of abuse. The smaller towel packs well, so it would be a good fit in a gym bag just by itself. Both towels would easily fit without much bulk into a gym bag, which is nice for yoginis who want to travel light

Neutrogena  Cool Dry Sport Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70, 5 Fluid Ounce
Neutrogena Cool Dry Sport Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 70, 5 Fluid Ounce
Price: $9.59
4 used & new from $9.59

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect warm weather sunscreen, February 17, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm a big fan of Neutrogena sunscreen. I'm not allowed to ever be sunburnt, so I have to keep sunscreen at the ready if I plan on being outside for more than a few minutes. I spent a few days in the Caribbean outdoors, and applied this constantly. The sunscreen went on easy, had a light consistency and didn't leave a horrible odor. On the contrary - the odor was basically nonexistent. Definitely not a greasy feel to the sunscreen. Overall I'm happy - Neutrogena does a good job at making sunscreen I actually like applying.

Braven Wireless HD Bluetooth Speaker - Retail Packaging - Black
Braven Wireless HD Bluetooth Speaker - Retail Packaging - Black
Price: $299.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good speaker but at a premium price, February 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm always interested in waterproof wireless speakers - it helps me focus on summer and being outdoors. So I was excited to give the Braven BRV-HD speaker a try.

The speaker itself is designed very well - it looks rugged and comes across as a speaker that can take some abuse. The IPX3 rating is nice, but IPX3 is defined as "Protected against spraying water - Water spraying up to 60 degrees from vertical at 10 liters/min at a pressure of 80-100kN/m2 for 5 min." This speaker won't handle being submerged and I'd be worried to have this in a bad downpour.

The speaker is rated for having around 28 hours of battery life. I was able to get around 24.5 with my initial test so I'm ok with that. Naturally, that will depend on whether or not you're connected via bluetooth or the included cable. The speaker supports TrueWireless, so you can run pairs of speakers instead of just one. There's also an included battery to charge gadgets like a phone or tablet and a big one at that - 8800 mAh - I figure that's close to 4 iPhone charges. Sound quality is very nice. Bass was handled well at high volumes without any noticeable distortions. Classical was clean and crisp. And Top 40 sounded fantastic - something that's important for pool parties.

Overall I like the speaker. It's ruggedly built and has enough nice features that makes this a gadget worth lusting over, but the price of $300 puts it in Bose categories of being a luxury item. For the price, I was hoping that this would be a bit more water resistant than just IPX3. But overall, this will make for a great higher end outdoor speaker. 4 stars.

dr. brandt Cellusculpt, 6.3 oz.
dr. brandt Cellusculpt, 6.3 oz.
Price: $59.00

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it!, February 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been trying to get rid of some problem spots on my legs where my skin isn't smooth and looks pretty gross, but never thought I'd be the person who'd try a cream like this. But after 2 weeks, my legs look a lot better.

The cream itself isn't that medicinal smelling - I thought this would be a lot worse. There's an odor that goes away rather quickly. I applied it to my hands and rubbed it in without any issue, although you can use the container to apply the cream, which would probably be a better idea since it's designed to be applied evenly. Since a little of the cream does the job, I expect to get about 2 months out of the container, which makes the $60 more palatable.

Overall I like it. It's not something I would have ever tried on my own, but as a guy I'm vain and not above using something like this. But based on two weeks worth, I'm happy and would recommend it. At the end of the container, I'm expecting that my legs should look a lot better.

Pioneer SE-MJ502-K Fully Enclosed Dynamic Headphone
Pioneer SE-MJ502-K Fully Enclosed Dynamic Headphone
Price: $15.59
2 used & new from $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great budget headphones with decent sound, February 11, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
With headphones, price always comes into play. To me, a $300 pair of headphones should sounds twice as good as a $150 pair, and so on. So with this $15 set of Pioneer headphones, I had the expectations that the headphones would just work and if I got quality and good sound out of them, then that was an added bonus.

I put the headphones to my standard test - lots of classical and strings - it seems with bad headphones I notice it the most with cellos, and I didn't notice anything in the 2 hours of testing with just classical. With Top 40, EDM and Rock, the bass seemed clear and didn't have any noticeable distortion at higher volumes, which is nice. And after a total of 4 straight hours of the headphones on my head, the headphones felt pretty good. Normally my earlobes feel smashed because of the poor cushioning but I was pleasantly surprised. And the headphones fold flat, so they pack better - a nice touch.

These headphones aren't Bose or Beats quality, but they do the job at a fraction of the cost. I'd have no problem buying these for the family or keeping a spare set in my luggage for when I travel so I can listen to my mp3 player.

NuFACE Trinity Facial Trainer Kit, White
NuFACE Trinity Facial Trainer Kit, White
Price: $325.00
13 used & new from $325.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me (yet), but requires serious long term committment, February 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not above being vain and admitting that age isn't being kind to my face, so I've been looking at options other than botox and fillers in order to stave off the inevitable So the NuFACE Trinity sounds like a decent idea in theory. In order to get any real benefits, you're going to have to use this 3-4x a week for upwards of 8 weeks. I gave it a daily use for 3 weeks in order to get a review in, and I didn't notice anything in my face (nor did my wife, for what it's worth.) I even took photos of my face before I got started to see if it there was anything noticeable and didn't see anything. It's not to say that if I kept going for another 2 months that I might notice something - but I'm impatient. This item is definitely not for the impatient. A few of the youtube reviews along with the Amazon reviews I've watched seems that 8+ weeks is the consensus on seeing visible results. I'll reevaluate at 8 weeks to see if it's worth sticking with.

A few things: The unit itself feels pretty flimsy, and I was worried that with an accidental drop, it would shatter. Granted, I'm not going to drop it to test it out, but for a device that's upwards of $300, it doesn't feel like there's that quality associated with it. Also, the gel primer went fairly quickly it seems, and that adds to the cost of the overall kit - I'll probably need to buy a few more over the next two months. Additional attachments also run $150 or so, so this is clearly a system that would require a sizable financial commitment (along with the heaps of time!)

Overall I'm conflicted - the tons of positive reviews give me hope that this will eventually help out problem spots, but the time and financial commitment might make me consider the path of least resistance: a cosmetic dermatologist (or at least, a dermatology residency clinic.) But NuFace does give a 60 day money back guarantee, which I would expect (but only from NuFace's site it seems and at the time of writing this review, it's nearly $50 cheaper than Amazon!) But if you've decided to invest in the NuFace Trinity, you'll probably be investing an hour a week in using this on your face in addition to gel primer regularly.

3.5 stars
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2015 12:27 PM PST

Nivea Lip Care Butter Carded Tin, Cocoa Butter Kiss, .59 Ounce, (Pack of 6)
Nivea Lip Care Butter Carded Tin, Cocoa Butter Kiss, .59 Ounce, (Pack of 6)
Price: $17.94

4.0 out of 5 stars I really like it, but a bit pricy and lacks SPF, February 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Winter tends to destroy my lips and I wanted to try something other than chapstick. The first thing you notice is the smell - it's pleasant, quickly dissipates and doesn't carry too far. The tin is easy to open, which is nice. I used my pinky to apply the lip butter and there was no lingering mess or smell to my finger. My lips are better moisturized and don't feel as rough. Strangely enough there's no SPF protection on this, which seems odd because my other lip balms do have them. Overall I'm pleased - the only real downside is price. It's quite pricy but I'm hoping that this will last longer than a tube of lip balm.

Doctor's Best 5-HTP Enhanced with Vitamins B6 and C, Vegetable Capsules, 120-Count
Price: $17.19
14 used & new from $17.19

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me but might be worth a try for you, January 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using this for 2 weeks and I haven't noticed a thing. It's not for lack of trying - for the sake of the review, I kept everything the same - the minimal alcohol/caffeine consumption/exercise etc - to see if this could help get me into a good sleep at night and make me feel better. I take a regular multivitamin and continued to do so during the review. My energy level seems about the same along with my mood. In short: I didn't notice a thing. I do have mental health issues but didn't notice a change in affect, energy or depression - nor did family members. The pills themselves were easy to swallow with no aftertaste and my body tolerated them fairly well.

With all of the positive reviews, I feel bad that I had to ding this product because it didn't work for me. The internists/family practice MDs in my family didn't seem to think too highly of this product, for what it's worth. Just because I didn't like this and it didn't work for me doesn't mean it's not worth a try (ask a doctor first, obviously.) If it helps you out, that's awesome - but for me I didn't notice a thing.

Chicago White Sox Official Kippah by Emblem Source
Chicago White Sox Official Kippah by Emblem Source
Offered by SportsWorld
Price: $23.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Who said kippahs have to be dull and boring?, January 17, 2015
In an effort to spice up services and show support for my sports teams, I wanted to go with a sports kippah that not only looked amazing, but was able to stay on my head without any issues. The company has official licensing rights with Major League Baseball and the NBA and more importantly, the integrated clips underneath the kippah.

The material itself is a quality mesh - it feels nice to the touch and the stitching is better than I expected. The clips themselves are wonderful - you can pop them open and press the kippah down on your head and the clips attach without any issue. My hair is pretty short and it attaches and stays on just fine and feels pretty comfortable. Best of all I don't have to deal with metal clips which never seemed to actually secure the kippah to my hair.

The only real "gripe" is that not enough sports teams are officially licensed. Overall, it's a solid kippah and I'm probably going to buy more in different colors/patterns.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20