Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Kids Halloween
Profile for R. C Sheehy > Reviews

R. C Sheehy's Profile

Customer Reviews: 760

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. C Sheehy "deadsox" RSS Feed (Foxboro,MA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
1944: FDR and the Year That Changed History
1944: FDR and the Year That Changed History
by Jay Winik
Price: $23.19
52 used & new from $18.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Congrats to Jay Winik for a New, Fresh Angle on WWII., October 10, 2015
Jay Winik has come at the history of World War II from a new and surprising angle. By focusing on the angle of the Holocaust and Franklin Roosevelt's health there is a compelling new and fresh take on the story on the war. The story of World War 2 is one that has been told so many times and usually it's told from the exact same way but this is pretty fresh. Winik focuses on the death of FDR has being an element of cardiovascular disease just like his father. His history of the holocaust is horrifying in its factory like precision. The military aspects of 1944 are downplayed and while that may seem odd at first it actually works well for the overall success of the book.

This is a unique take on World War II and I strongly suggest it to those new to the genre or followers.

The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism
by Doris Kearns Goodwin
Price: $5.45
373 used & new from $0.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Get Ready For a Major Let Down!, October 1, 2015
I hate to say it but Doris Kearns Goodwin makes T.R. a fascinating man boring. It's pretty obvious that she wants to focus on the era but by telling the story of T.R, Taft, and the reporters of the era we get too many people and too many stories. I think Goodwin was door for a let down after Team of Rivals and this was it. It seems she was shooting for a repeat of her previous success which has worked so well which has been telling the story of a great man and cast that against his time. But she dropped the ball here by shifting the focus away from T.R. This is what had me so excited about this book because just like she had taken on FDR and Lincoln she was now going to take on T.R. but instead we get T.R. and Taft and Ida Tarbell and a bunch of others who, let's be honest aren't as historically relevant as T.R.

This book get's most of its hype from Doris Kearns Goodwin and Team of Rivals but just is not that great.

The Grind: Inside Baseball's Endless Season
The Grind: Inside Baseball's Endless Season
by Barry Svrluga
Price: $17.97
51 used & new from $12.52

2.0 out of 5 stars A Total Waste of Time and Money, September 9, 2015
I have to say this was a very week offering. I had read some good reviews but what I found was what I would have to call maybe a good New Yorker or Atlantic article. It really didn't have much structure or focus and moved around from here to there. The baseball season is long and demands a lot that is a given which is well known. What this book is totally lacking is any human aspect to it.

I can't find any reason to recommend this book and I have to pass on it. Don't waste your time or money.

What Stands in a Storm: Three Days in the Worst Superstorm to Hit the South's Tornado Alley
by Kim Cross
Price: $18.79
83 used & new from $1.61

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't Decide What it Wants to Be So It Becomes Muddled, September 3, 2015
I think Kim Cross has all the materials for a great book but can't decide which direction to take it in. This could have been a great story about the human aspect of the outbreak but there are too many people spread over too far an area to make that plausible. If the story had focused more closely and immediately rather than being difficult to follow it would have been much more effective. There was also a great story shaping up about the Dixie Tornado Belt which was brand new to me and which would have been fascinating if more information had been provided. It was discussed and examples were provided but it was never really discussed in a fashion that would have made the book more compelling. Lastly, the science and storm chasing aspect could have been more interesting. Again, it was alluded to but it was never discussed in any great detail. We are told just enough to make us interested but not enough to get us engaged.

This book interests us but doesn't give us enough to engage us. You can pass on this.

28 Days Later: The Aftermath
28 Days Later: The Aftermath
by Steve Niles
Price: $12.60
90 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak story kills great potential and awesome graphics, August 21, 2015
This was really more a comic book than a graphic novel. I can't say it really gave me any more insight into the story or that I found myself engrossed into the story any more. I was really interested in that some people said how engrossing it was and how it offered some really great insights into the period between the virus outbreak and the start of the movie. Overall it's pretty weak which is a shame because, as others have said it does have some really good art work and great story potential.

Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania
Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania
by Erik Larson
Price: $15.80
210 used & new from $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars One of 2015's best works of non-fiction, August 20, 2015
I first came upon Erik Larson when I read Issac's storm and since then I have become more and more disappointed with each of his books. Dead Wake did a magnificent job of breaking that string. It is, simply put, an outstanding work that tells the tale of the Lusitania in a new light. This story is a well told one, I think most of us know the story by now, but so very few know the entire story. In reading this book I realized how little I knew and how what I did know was really just a bunch of rumors and myth-information. Larson goes back and uses first person sources to tell us what happened and what it was like to be there. He does an excellent job of setting the back ground and help us to understand what exactly led to everything happening on May 7,2015. Larson brings in his great skill of humanizing stories of otherwise great suffering and does so here.

This is a great book and should be among 2015's best!

by Pedro Martinez
Price: $20.97
78 used & new from $11.60

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read For Red Sox and Baseball Fans., August 10, 2015
This review is from: Pedro (Hardcover)
For those who knew Pedro Martinez via the news media this book will come as now surprise. It is true Pedro and is very entertaining and is very truly Pedro thru to the end. Pedro was never one to hold back on his feelings and he does a great job of telling us what he felt and thought and he lets us know who he did and did not like. His thoughts on baseball and my beloved Boston Red Sox are plain and it warms my heart to hear how much he loved Boston. Pedro will go down as one of the best pitchers of all time here and I love how smart he shows he is in recounting his career and making his case. Pedro Martinez is a smart man and a great pitcher and this book proves it.

A must read for Red Sox and baseball fans.

Red Notice: A True Story of High Finance, Murder, and One Man's Fight for Justice
by Bill Browder
Price: $15.70
95 used & new from $1.39

4.0 out of 5 stars A Compelling Story Well Worth Your Time, August 4, 2015
Bill Browder surprised me by writing a book which is a variety of things each of which is interesting in its own right and could make for it's own tepid work but combined makes for a dynamic story. His tales of building the various eastern European investment options for a variety of banks and investors makes for interesting if not dynamic reading. It does pick up when he gets to Russia and becomes purely heart breaking when we learn about his fight for Mr. Markov and the purely criminal way that he was treated. Mr. Browder does a great service for sharing this story with us an the matter of fact manner he does it makes the book very readable even at those points when he talks about the nitty gritty of investing which is quite boring.

This is a very interesting book and Mr. Browder has quite a story to tell. Read it and enjoy!

The Wright Brothers
The Wright Brothers
by David McCullough
Price: $18.00
145 used & new from $8.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Gem!, July 23, 2015
This review is from: The Wright Brothers (Hardcover)
An outstanding work from David McCullough. Again! He does a great job of not just telling us how the Wright brothers got to be the first to fly but how they went to popularize their method of flying. All to often it seems aviation history takes us from Kitty Hawk to World War One or some other leap of ten years or there about. McCullough shows that there was a great deal of trial and error in getting to December 1903 and then there was a great deal more salesmanship involved getting their design to be the design accepted. What I found most interesting is how the U.S. government seemed so disinterested, if not hostile, to the Wright brothers for a host of reasons and seemed determined to deny them any credit for any role in the invention of flying. What I did not like is that I found McCullough was too much of a cheerleader (as he can be when writing biographies) and he cut the book off too quickly.

This is a great book on a subject not often written about these days. Enjoy!

The Game Must Go On: Hank Greenberg, Pete Gray, and the Great Days of Baseball on the Home Front in WWII
by John Klima
Price: $20.51
69 used & new from $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A History that Touches on WWII and Baseball History in a New Fashion, July 14, 2015
John Klima has written a very entertaining history of baseball during WWII by focusing on baseball during WWII. He doesn't ignore the damage done to the careers of the greats like Feller, Greenberg or Williams nor does he pretend that the quality of play was even close to what it was pre or post war. But he does tell the story of a few which makes the story relateable for the first time. The story of Pete Gray is told in a fashion that makes him much more human than other stories have. The story of Billy Southworth and his son is so heartbreaking in that it was probably repeated countless times.

I'd suggest this to fans of both baseball and WWII history

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20