Profile for Mark Wright > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mark Wright RSS Feed (Wellington, Ohio USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Haggar Men's Work To Weekend Hidden Expandable Waist No Iron Pleat Front Pant,Khaki,36x30
Price: $29.74
3 used & new from $29.74

1.0 out of 5 stars Quality Now Gone From This Once Great Brand, November 2, 2014
I work in retail management, where I find myself standing, stooping, kneeling, and at times even crawling. I am the first to admit that I am not easy on pants. But the quality of these pants has dropped so dramatically over the past year that I can no longer purchase or recommend them to others. They are very comfortable and fit well, but they simply don't hold up.

Several years ago (around 2010), I switched to a cheaper store brand because Haggar's quality was starting to lag. I was finding longer wear and better quality with the store brands, until they also started cutting corners. I decided (around 2012) to try Haggar again and found that although the quality still wasn't what it had been, I was getting double the life for 50% more cost.

Earlier this year (2014) I bought two new pair of these - same size and fit as always. Within four months, the cuffs started fraying on both pair and my wallet wore a hole in one pair. I bought one more pair a month ago to give them one last try. After wearing them 6 times and washing them 3 times, I noticed that the cuffs were already starting to fray. After wearing them two more days and one more wash, the fraying was far worse and there is now a hole in the crease line a couple inches above the cuff. When I put my finger behind the hole to examine it, the hole spread up and down the crease like it was being cut with scissors.

I may not be easy on pants, but there is no reason why any pants should deteriorate so quickly. If you were used to Haggar quality, do not buy these with that same expectation.

M-D Building Products 01636 36-Inch by 81-Inch Steel Door Magnetic Weather-strip
Price: $28.16
8 used & new from $18.93

5.0 out of 5 stars No Shipping Issues for this Quality Product, September 28, 2014
No shipping problems for two sets received in September 2014. Product was kept straight in a box plenty long enough to ship without bending. Inside, the product was shrink-wrapped into a long package made of a rigid cardboard "L". So if there were shipping problems with these as reported years ago, Amazon has taken the suggestions to heart.

As for the product itself, it appears to be well-constructed of durable materials. Installation was a breeze - remove the old, measure and verify length needed, then cut. Press the new into place and done. Much better quality than the cheap replacements that I had already tried from the home improvement centers. The magnets really do make a difference - the daylight that I could see in places around the door are now gone!

AT&T 86109 DECT 6.0 Corded/Cordless Phone, Silver/Black, 1 Base and 1 Handset
AT&T 86109 DECT 6.0 Corded/Cordless Phone, Silver/Black, 1 Base and 1 Handset
Price: $111.99
174 used & new from $79.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Range and Voice Quality, but Poor Menus, April 10, 2012
We have been using the AT&T TL86109 for a couple of weeks. We have a standard telco land-line and a VOIP line running through this phone which is used as both our home and small business system. This replaced a Panasonic 2.4 GHz expandable system that was 8 years old when the handsets had started to break. My primary employer replaced their old Panasonic system with a newer version that, similar to this AT&T system is also a DECT 6.0 system. The choice came down to that Panasonic system (KX-TG9391T) or the AT&T TL86109. Having experience with the Panasonic, I was unimpressed with the range of the handsets and with the voice quality, which seems to drop out at times. I had no experience with the AT&T system, but it was highly rated and I didn't think it would be worse than the Panasonic.

We are mostly happy with the AT&T choice. The range suits our needs and so far we have not experienced any problems with voice quality, two of the most critical points of a cordless phone. In some ways it is more powerful than the Panasonic; however, it is not as user-friendly.

Pros:
* Bluetooth connect for cell phones. This allows up to two cell phones to connect to the system at once so that you can make and receive calls through your mobile phone using the handsets. We have not set up this feature at this time, but I see it as an advantage.
* It maintains separate Caller ID logs for Line 1, Line 2, and the Cell System. It holds the last 50 calls for each line.
* It has a separate answering system for each line. In other words, we can have a personal greeting on Line 1 (our main house line) and a business greeting on Line 2 (our main business line).
* Superior range and voice quality to Panasonic (in our environment).
Cons:
* The menus feel clunky compared to the Panasonic system. This is perhaps just due to adjusting to a new way of doing things.
* Again with the clunky menus, it takes a minimum of 8 buttons to intercom other handsets. This takes 2 buttons on the Panasonic.
* No Date/Time on handsets. Even if there are no messages or new calls in the call log, you just see the battery indicator, the handset number, a menu button, and "L1), L2), and CL)" on separate lines where it would show new messages or calls. The Panasonic shows the date and time on that screen. The time does show up when you select a line to make a call (after the delay that I will mention next).
* Delays. When you press the line button to make a call, there is a 2 second delay before you get the dial tone. This delay seems to happen every time the handsets open communication with the base.
* When on the charger, the indicator light is a bright blue circle. That's fine in most rooms, but not in the bedroom. Have to take the handset off the charger at night.

So as you can see, the AT&T is not as user friendly as the Panasonic. However, I believe the quality is actually better on the two most critical points for a cordless phone: range and voice quality. It also has better features, like Bluetooth and separate call logs. I have some friends that I would recommend this to and others that I would not. It just depends on your willingness and ability to navigate the menus. Even with the simpler user interface, I don't think I could recommend the Panasonic to anyone due to the poor voice quality that we experience at my primary workplace. All in all, this AT&T unit is not too bad.

** Edited 5/19/2012 with correction to reflect updated information from AT&T (see response below).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2012 6:41 PM PDT

Moen 87888SL Caldwell Two-Handle Kitchen Faucet, Classic Stainless
Moen 87888SL Caldwell Two-Handle Kitchen Faucet, Classic Stainless

4.0 out of 5 stars Improved Design, January 21, 2012
At some point, there have been a few design changes to this model. I did receive the Moen 87888SL. As posted in Stephen's review, the entire faucet structure is metal and the sprayer nozzle and hose guide are both plastic. However, they have apparently made a modification to the hose guide so that the nozzle sits higher. If the nozzle head is turned toward the faucet, the cold water handle actually turns slightly under the sprayer nozzle. They do not touch, which will hopefully solve the broken hose guide issue that Stephen had.

I also noted that the instructions did not match the faucet exactly. The instructions I got with the faucet indicated that there should be a flat gasket that you put between the faucet base and the sink, however no such gasket was in the kit. There was a foam rubber-type seal attached to the bottom of the faucet base. A quick call to Moen confirmed that this seal replaced the gasket and they apologized for the outdated instructions. The lady that I spoke with at Moen was very nice and helpful.

It would be nice to have longer pipe extensions in place on the faucet to ease installation. However, for the price that I paid for this faucet I will certainly not complain. This has a great look and the faucet itself has a quality feel. I took off one star from the rating because the sprayer nozzle and hose guide are plastic and feel significantly cheaper than the metal faucet. It's still nice and I would recommend it to others.

Braun Series 7- 790cc Pulsonic Shaver System, Silver
Braun Series 7- 790cc Pulsonic Shaver System, Silver
Price: $154.99
70 used & new from $154.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Shaver System, April 29, 2011
I received my Braun Series 7-790cc shaver system on February 11 and began using it the next day. Everything was packed nicely into the box and it was easy to unpack and set up. The first thing I noticed was that the power plug is huge! Instead of using a plug that routes the plug straight down the wall or to the side, this sticks straight out - several inches! This is the only thing I would change about the unit because in our bathroom, that gets in the way and even if it didn't, it would just look bad. I was able to correct this by using a Power Strip Liberator with a flat plug on the end, routing that down and hiding the massive Braun plug behind a box of Kleenex in the corner of the countertop.

I switched from a Norelco rotary shaver system. That unit was very old and needed to be replaced. I opted to switch to the Braun for several reasons: maintenance, battery life, quality of shave, and skin irritation. Norelco may have addressed some of these issues in their newer models, but after experiencing drawbacks in all of these areas on three different Norelco shavers, I was ready for a change.

It took about a week and a half to adjust to the new shaving system (foil vs. rotary). However, once I was used to it, the Braun seems to provide a more close shave with far less skin irritation. With my old rotary, I always had to use a facial lotion after shaving because my skin was irritated from the many passes necessary to get a good shave. Although some areas require just as many passes with the Braun, my skin is no longer red and itchy after shaving. The only area of my face that the Braun does not outperform the rotary on is right under my jaw line on the sides of my face. Everywhere else, including my chin, appears to be getting a closer shave.

The unit does have three sensitivity settings that are easily changed by buttons next to the power button. I tried these for a few days and then gave up - using it only on the strongest setting. It might be helpful if this shaver is irritating your skin, but it isn't for me so I just keep it on high.
Many people have commented or complained about the Clean & Renew Solution. As I wrote above, I started using my system on February 11 and that first cartridge lasted until April 16. I run through the cleaning procedure after every other shave. According to the manual, the solution will evaporate naturally after about two months. My first cartridge lasted that long with using it every other shave, so I see no reason to hold off on running the cleaning cycle beyond two shaves. I would add that as the manual states, when the cleaning solution level indicator goes to red, you have no solution left and it will not even attempt to clean the razor - so plan ahead when it turns yellow and order more then. I would also add that this system really does give a feeling of a renewed shaver and does an excellent job of cleaning the hair out of the unit.

After shaving with Norelco rotaries for about 16 years, I made the switch to the Braun foil system and haven't looked back.

Honeywell  RTH7600D Touchscreen 7-Day Programmable Thermostat
Honeywell RTH7600D Touchscreen 7-Day Programmable Thermostat
Offered by Planet Stuff
Price: $79.99
23 used & new from $38.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Install, Easy to Use, October 9, 2010
I bought this thermostat to replace a non-touchscreen 5+1+1 Honeywell model that I had installed in 2005. The old unit was functioning fine, but only allowed one schedule for all weekdays and my wife and I both work jobs that give us days off during the week and some work on the weekend. This new unit's 7-day programming ability was the selling point for me. Now it is rare that we need to manually adjust the temp because it knows our schedule and is programmed accordingly.

Installation was a breeze. Disconnected the old wires and mine were connected to the right terminals for the colors. Installed the new baseplate without issue. I put the batteries in the unit and opted to sit at my desk and program it. To make this part easier, I had set up a schedule in Excel with the times and temps that we wanted. Once programmed, I put it on the wallplate and tested it out.

The controls seem user friendly. The only thing I see lacking on this unit is a vacation mode. My old thermostat could be programmed to hold a certain temperature for up to 14 days and then have the house comfortable for your return. I don't see any way to do that here. The only other thing I would change is something that has already been mentioned here. The backlight only turns on if you press a button. It would be nice if any touch on the screen would cause it to turn on. But this isn't terribly inconvenient - just touch either right corner and the screen comes on because there are buttons there. Overall though, an excellent unit that should help you save some money on your heating and cooling bills.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2011 8:11 AM PST

Kingston 8GB USB 2.0 Hi-Speed DataTraveler 400 with Sync, Readyboost (DT400/8GB)

5.0 out of 5 stars Convenient and Easy to Use, March 27, 2009
I bought this about a month ago and it has been very nice. The flip design is convenient and guards the contact end of the drive pretty well. Data transfer is quick. I have not used the security features, so I cannot comment on that aspect of it.

The only thing about this that I don't like is the ring that hooks to the end of the drive so that you can attach it to a keyring. This tiny ring is hard to work with and seems weaker that I think it is. I originally tried hooking the ring to a quick connect (springloaded) keychain so that I could get it off quickly. However, because the ring is so thin, it kept slipping through the crack of the spring latch mechanism on my keyring. I was unable to hook a larger ring to the drive itself, so I have since hooked the drive's ring to a larger ring that then attaches to my keyring using the quick connect. This works fine, but causes the drive to dangle lower than I'd like while driving.

Overall this was a good purchase and I would buy it again.

Summer Infant Bath Center and Shower
Summer Infant Bath Center and Shower
Price: $34.99 - $59.81

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy for the Shower, January 6, 2009
The tub itself is OK, but the shower part is lacking. It does have a temperature indicator on it, which is nice, but the rest is disappointing.

First, it takes 6 AA Batteries. These batteries are behind two covers, inside a pump unit that screws into the shower reservoir. To change the batteries, you have to take apart the reservoir, twist and push and twist again on the pump to remove from the reservoir top, then twist off a water-tight cap (that obviously doesn't keep water out as evidenced by the rusted screw inside), then unscrew the second cap so that you can get to the batteries. Forgive me as I insert my standard gripe - I shouldn't need a screwdriver to change the batteries in something like this! A child has no business playing with this - it isn't a toy! When not in use, it should be stored. Watch your children - monitor their activities. While I've never personally known of a child who tried to swallow a battery, I bet if they were properly supervised, this couldn't happen! End rant.

Anyway, the batteries only last long enough for about three baths. We used your basic Energizer alkaline batteries through the first two battery changes. There won't be a third as we've stopped using this shower.

The other issue with the shower was that the button is located underneath a waterproof seal as it would need to be. However, the button is pretty small and can be hard to find. Then once you find it, you have to keep holding it, which can also be difficult.

I would not recommend this tub/shower system. There are nicer tubs you can buy for the same amount of money or equally as nice tubs without a shower unit for less money. Take your pick of those, but stay away from here.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 14, 2010 6:28 PM PDT

Summer Infant Day & Night Flat Screen Color Video Monitor with 7" LCD Screen
Summer Infant Day & Night Flat Screen Color Video Monitor with 7" LCD Screen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great System, January 5, 2009
We have a similar system to this one. The only difference is that ours includes a handheld unit without a screen (audio only). This is spectacular. The screen is right next to my wife's side of the bed, so she can rest with the peace of mind that she can just push the video button on the top and see our daughter in the crib. As first-time parents, my wife is very concerned and likes to check periodically to see that she is still breathing. No problem with this video screen! If she starts fussing, we can look to see if there is a reason and get an idea from her facial expressions as to how severe it will be. All of this is possible without going into her room and disturbing her! I never thought we'd need the video screen, but I am very glad now that we have it.

The only problem with this unit is that there is some interference. For us, we only see interference when standing in certain spots in the room where the monitor is located. But move a few inches and it stops.

I would definitely buy another if we needed it and would recommend this to others.

GMI Keepsafe Expansion Gate, 84 Inches
GMI Keepsafe Expansion Gate, 84 Inches
Price: $59.99
5 used & new from $49.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as Advertised, January 3, 2009
Bought this to keep our two dogs and new baby in/out of family room. It stretches the 80 inches across to separate our kitchen and family rooms.

Installation was tricky, but would have been easier with a second person. The instructions were also poorly written. I found it tricky to get the hinge side mounted so that it was level when closed. After botching the first installation, I ignored the part of the directions that said to have it opened all the way when marking for the fixed mounts. Leave it closed, make your marks, and go. Then extend it, make the marks for the latches, and finish.

Overall, it does its job and takes the daily abuse of two dogs.

Page: 1 | 2