Profile for Pumpkin2 > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Pumpkin2 RSS Feed

The Narrow Gate
The Narrow Gate
by Julianne B. McCullagh
Price: $12.34
8 used & new from $3.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Why does it have to be that way?, February 16, 2013
This review is from: The Narrow Gate (Paperback)
An Irish-American family immigrates to the United States and settles into a community, a church, a way of life tinged by innocence, denial, and a hold on religious beliefs that spins them down into trouble. I want to leave you hanging because it's how this family deals with the strife that makes the story unfold. It is enough to say, there are unwanted pregnancies, adultery, even bad priests. And, there are questions we ask ourselves in quiet moments. The author demands you to look at those questions head-on. What would you have done in similar circumstances? Expect to like characters despite their actions. Expect to question yourself. Expect to enjoy every chapter.

Hemingway's Girl
Hemingway's Girl
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Papa comes to life, October 26, 2012
This review is from: Hemingway's Girl (Kindle Edition)
What an interesting take on life with Papa and in the Florida Keys. Her characters know the Keys and make you want to know them. Her characters interact with longing. They grow irritate with one another. They have desires and want understanding. They interact with Hemingway, setting off a rawness and earthiness. It's apparent, she did research on him and I appreciate that. Now I want to re-read his works. I understand she is working on a second book. Different subject. Don't wait, though. This one is a fine start.

Escape from North Korea: The Untold Story of Asia's Underground Railroad
Escape from North Korea: The Untold Story of Asia's Underground Railroad

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, these stories come to light, October 26, 2012
Early in the book, I found a description of circumstances that echoed a story told by a friend. I believed him, but, being a writer myself, I tried to check his facts. This was about 7 years ago and information about the conditions in China, Korea, etc. was scarce. Works like this will open our eyes. That takes care of the nature of the information. Regarding the craft, this one kept me reading well into the night. I believe it will be an important indictment of North Korea. Let your horizons expand and give this a read.

The Boy in the Back Row
The Boy in the Back Row
by J.A. Todd

4.0 out of 5 stars A page turner, September 5, 2012
The characters are wonderful and make you want to root for them. I began it on vacation and found myself up late turning one page after another. So... refreshing plot, check; dynamic characters, check; action, check; unpredictable plot turns, check. Think it's a winner.