Profile for Janet Cortez > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Janet Cortez "Omnivorous Reader" RSS Feed (Nashville, TN USA)

A Song for the Asking (A Kane Novel)
A Song for the Asking (A Kane Novel)
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars a rousing good read, April 27, 2014
This story was a bit predictable, but maybe that made it even more satisfying. The characters mostly fit a stock role and behaved exactly as would be expected. Catherine was an enigma. Apparently willing to see her kids bullied, she never appeared cowed herself. She seemed to think that the bullying was harmless until the day she took a stick of firewood to Dan Kane's head. I enjoyed enough to try another book by this author.

Utopia Luxury Washcloths 13" x 13" 12 pack - Dark Brown
Utopia Luxury Washcloths 13" x 13" 12 pack - Dark Brown
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Larger than average, May 31, 2013
I always buy washcloths in bundle packs like this. Generally, I end up with smaller cloths which still meet my needs. These are large, absorbent, and seem likely to retain their rich, dark brown color.

Utopia Hand Towels 16-Inch x30-Inch, 12-Pack, Dark Brown
Utopia Hand Towels 16-Inch x30-Inch, 12-Pack, Dark Brown
Price: $30.25
3 used & new from $28.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft and Absorbent, May 31, 2013
I'm very pleased with these hand towels. I hate damp hand towels and want to switch them out at least a couple of times daily in each bathroom, meaning a lot of towels. With these, I can do exactly that. The brown color is rich and, after a couple of washes, drying them in the dryer, it looks like it will last. I do wash on cold, but I use the dryer. The instructions that come with these say not to tumble them dry, but that would mean not buying them, so I tumbled them.

Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever
Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever
by Martin Dugard
Edition: Audio CD
Price: $21.84
91 used & new from $7.40

1.0 out of 5 stars Cavalry, please, not Calvary, June 19, 2012
I listened to the audio-book. I heard many errors, a few just plain awful sentences, but all of that I could overlook. However, before I was done, I wanted to shake the author/reader and explain the difference between Calvary and cavalry. Unfortunately, this word appears hundreds of times, and every single time, the word was pronounced calvary. I don't know if this was how it was spelled in the book, but it was sure how it was pronounced. Audiobooks are great when the reader has a great time with the reading and a spirited author reading can be the best. But by the 5th section, I felt like there were fingernails running up and down a chalkboard. Finally, I gave up, because I just knew there would be more repetitions of this word. Bill, please look up the two words.

The Dream of Scipio
The Dream of Scipio
by Iain Pears
Price: $11.93
389 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointment, October 18, 2006
This review is from: The Dream of Scipio (Paperback)
I found nothing gripping about this story, unlike author's previous work. Others indicate that there is a reward here, and there may be, but I couldn't stay interested long enough to find it.

The Next EXIT 2006 (Next Exit: The Most Complete Interstate Highway Guide Ever Printed)
by Mark T. Watson
42 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What It Claims to Be, October 18, 2006
Cheaply published, on flimsy newsprint, this book does exactly what it purports to do--guide the driver to the services needed by the motoring public traveling our interstates. For RVers, especially, knowing which exit has a gas station that is accessible to our 55 foot+ rigs, is critical information, saving time and frazzled nerves.

Never Let Me Go
Never Let Me Go
by Kazuo Ishiguro
Price: $19.85
133 used & new from $0.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a Human Life..., October 18, 2006
This review is from: Never Let Me Go (Hardcover)
I've read most of the reviews here. I've found this book troubling in many ways, and months after I read it, I just had to comment for others. The amazing insight I got from Ishiguro's book was that these clones are much like all of us--always ready to move on, even when we know that what we're moving toward is awful.

Several people have commented that they wanted Kathy to escape her fate, and were profoundly disturbed that this never occurred to her as she meekly marched toward her destiny. I think this is a realistic observation of the human condition, and after reading the book, I began finding myself noticing that all people seem to move through all the rites of passage in their lives with eagerness, just as Kathy and her peers did. In fact, Kathy, like all of us, is always impatient to get to the next milestone, even as this movement brings her inexorably toward pain and death. Why would we be surprised by this intensely human reaction?

The story didn't feel like science fiction, nor like a reprise of other clone books written in the past several decades. It felt like a very normal coming-of-age story about humans who just happened to be clones, callously created to rescue others. So, I was never shocked, nor did I want them to escape. It was only upon finishing the book that I was bowled over by the matter-of-fact approach, and that is why it continues to move me months later.