Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on HTL
Profile for Scarecrowe > Reviews

Scarecrowe's Profile

Customer Reviews: 24

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Scarecrowe RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Plantronics BackBeat Fit Bluetooth Headphones - Green
Plantronics BackBeat Fit Bluetooth Headphones - Green
Offered by Buy Wholesale Prices
Price: $99.95
36 used & new from $49.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Headphones, But Prone to Bursts of Static, October 19, 2015
I needed a good set of wireless headphones for running, and after trying several (more expensive) sets, I ordered this set. The pricing was quite good through Amazon; I paid $78 versus the same set at Best Buy for $129.00.

They are comfortable; at least they are to me. Most of the time I can't even tell I'm wearing them. They are very soft and pliable, and the back strap doesn't bounce annoyingly when running. My runs typically last an hour or so, and I have yet to lose power, so for my needs, I'm satisfied with the battery life. They do seem to be water and sweat resistant as advertised.

The sound quality is acceptable, and the headphones pair quickly with my iPod Nano, and seem to maintain the connection.

So why the 3-Star rating? For some reason my headphones are subject to short bursts of static. I'm not sure if they are picking something up in the environment or there is a momentary loss of the Bluetooth signal, but every so often there is a very brief "bzzzzt" that reminds me of listening to a radio. I don't think it's my device, as none of the other headphones I've tried have this same particular issue. I can't seem to find the cause, as it appears to be a random occurrence.

If it wasn't for the static, I would be absolutely delighted with the product and would be writing a 5-Star review.

Shock Doctor Thigh-Groin Sleeve (Black, Large)
Shock Doctor Thigh-Groin Sleeve (Black, Large)
Price: $19.04
28 used & new from $17.49

1.0 out of 5 stars It Simply Won't Stay In Place, October 19, 2015
I have a nagging Achilles issue, and I was looking for a good thigh sleeve to help alleviate the discomfort, especially while running. I read several of the other reviews regarding slippage, but decided to go ahead and take a chance with the product.

I am 6'1" tall, and weigh 185 pounds. My thigh measures 22" in circumference. I ordered a Large, which is supposed to max out at 21.5", so in effect, I ordered a bit down.

Less than 2/10th's of a mile into my first run wearing the sleeve, it had fallen to my ankle. After pulling it back up and attempting to adjust it several more times, I finally stopped and removed it. Other than the compression itself, the only thing that attempts to keep it in place is a small bit of some substance inside the sleeve which I think is supposed to improve the grip.

I do wish I could give this product a five star review, because I really need a good thigh sleeve, but if it won't stay in place, the product is useless.

SMS Audio SMS-BTWS-SPRT-BLU SYNC By 50 On Ear Wireless Sport Headphones, Blue
SMS Audio SMS-BTWS-SPRT-BLU SYNC By 50 On Ear Wireless Sport Headphones, Blue
Offered by Adorama Camera
Price: Click here to see our price
9 used & new from $145.70

1.0 out of 5 stars After Three Months, The Battery Won't Hold A Charge, September 25, 2015
For the first couple of months I owned these headphones, I would have given them a 5 star rating. The sound was wonderful, they were comfortable, the controls were easy to use, and they easily paired with my device. I had no complaints, whatsoever. None. I was completely sold.

Now, three months later, they won't hold a charge. I can charge these headphones for 48 hours, and only get about 30 minutes use out of them before they go dead. What is the use of having a set of wireless sports headphones that can't be used for over 30 minutes? All of the positives noted above come to naught when the headphones lose power. For the price, you would think that SMS Audio could supply a decent battery. Perhaps I just got a bad set. But after paying $200, I don't think I will take the gamble again.

It's really a shame. I very much enjoyed these headphones for the few months they performed.

Polk Audio UltraFit 500 Headphones - White (ULTRAFIT 500WHT)
Polk Audio UltraFit 500 Headphones - White (ULTRAFIT 500WHT)
Offered by MAV-DAK Distributors
Price: $39.99
2 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My All Time Favorite Wired Sports Headphones For Running, September 17, 2015
I'm a runner, and I use these for that specific activity. There are by far my favorite wired sports headphones. Simply put, the strengths of the headphones include:

1) They stay firmly in place. The over-the-ear design keeps them snug, even on trails. Plus, they are comfortable, at least to my ears.

2) The are sweat-proof. I sweat like a plow horse, and try as I might, I can't destroy these headphones. I have been running with one pair over a year, and they are still in great shape. I cannot even remember how many so-called sweatproof sports headphones I have killed over the years in a final burst of static and hiss.

3) The sound is very, very good. Obviously, a pair of sports headphones is not going to please the discriminating audiophile, but I have no issues with the sound quality whatsoever. Very good highs, and satisfactory lows. Good for audiobooks too.

The wire itself comes in two pieces, one very short, so you will have to use the extension wire for running. Since the combined wire is long, I tend to run the wire down my back and loop it through my armband. The wire is then completely out of the way, and the connection to my device (an iPod Nano) stays firm and tight.

Would I purchase this product again? Absolutely. In fact, I already have. I liked my original pair so much, I went ahead and purchased a second pair which have yet to be opened, just in case I eventually do succeed in killing my original pair (which stubbornly refuses to succumb).

Aukey Bluetooth Headphones V4.1 Wireless Stereo Sport Headphones Running Gym Exercise Sweatproof Headset Earbuds with Balanced Audio, Built-in Mic for iPhone 6S, 6S Plus,Samsung, Android Smartphones
Offered by Aukey Direct
Price: $59.99
8 used & new from $23.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Headphones, Outperforming More Expensive Rivals, September 17, 2015
I'm a runner, and I purchased these headphones specifically for that activity. They needed to have (1) good connectivity; (2) strong battery life; (3) a comfortable fit and stay in place; and (4) be absolutely sweatproof (I sweat like a plow horse).

So how did they do?

(1) They connected to my iPod Nano within 5 seconds, and have stayed connected throughout my runs. *****
(2) I have no idea as to the limits of the battery life, but my runs last an hour or more, and I have never lost power. *****
(3) They fit very comfortably (in my ears, anyway), and the over the ear design keeps them firmly in place, even on trail runs. *****
(4) So far, so good. They haven't succumbed to sweat yet. *****

So why four stars, and not five?

To me, the audio quality is a bit tinny, especially with regards to the bass line. But I am not an audiophile. I purchased these headphones for running, and for that, they work perfectly. But if a deep, rich sound is your most important consideration, these may not be the headphones for you. So three stars for sound. ***

Bottom line: Would I purchase these again? Absolutely. No question. They outperformed name brand headphones costing 4 and 5 times their cost. These headphones are definitely a bargain.

The Run-Walk-Run Method
The Run-Walk-Run Method
by Jeff Galloway
Price: $14.08
68 used & new from $9.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Perfect, but Very Helpful, July 1, 2015
This book has some very useful information, but there is quite a bit included that is just filler, such as a full 30 pages of testimonials. However, for somebody just getting into running, or perhaps a senior or just overweight, this book can be very helpful in providing a plan and the motivation to simply get started. It is also useful for those runners who want to go longer distances, but cannot run an entire 13.1 or 26.2 course. For these folks, the book is certainly recommended.

Gymboss miniMAX Interval Timer and Stopwatch - BLACK / YELLOW SOFTCOAT
Gymboss miniMAX Interval Timer and Stopwatch - BLACK / YELLOW SOFTCOAT
Offered by Gymboss Timers
Price: $27.95
2 used & new from $27.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Perfectly, July 1, 2015
I purchased this Gymboss interval timer to help my daughter get ready for a half-marathon using the Run-Walk-Run method, and it worked perfectly. It provided very nice, repetitive interval timing, with both "beep" and vibrate notifications if desired. The timer comes with a small clip (you can see it protruding slightly from the back of the timer in the photograph), and I just fastened it to the wristband of my GPS where it rode comfortably.

Just note that it does not come with a battery (AAA), so you will need to purchase those separately.

Highly recommended for those using the Run/Walk method or doing fartleks.

Monster Hunters: On the Trail with Ghost Hunters, Bigfooters, Ufologists, and Other Paranormal Investigators
by Tea Krulos
Price: $13.49
68 used & new from $9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars An Entertaining Journey into the World of Those Hunting the Unexplained, June 24, 2015
I didn't really know what to expect when I purchased this book, but I enjoyed it immensely. From Michigan to Florida, we travel along on this entertaining road trip through a very well-written book. Tea Krulos takes the reader on a fascinating journey into the world of folks who hunt ghosts, search for bigfoots, lake monsters, and other assorted cryptids, scan the skies for UFO's, and perform exorcisms. The journey is populated not only by a certain fringe element and the occasional con man, but also by very dedicated and sincere individuals who truly believe in their quests.

The author doesn't just rely on interviews, but immerses himself in the subject. He tags along with a group of ghost hunters on investigations, and experiences the occasional turmoil and tension that seems to characterize these organizations. He camps out with searchers for bigfoot and hears howls and chattering that sends him fleeing to the safety of a nearby vehicle. He witnesses unexplainable lights in the sky. He sees firsthand a huckster who travels from airport hotel to airport hotel preying on the weak and hurting.

And through it all, with the most obvious exception being the egregious huckster, he is remarkably open-minded. He does not approach this book with the blind faith of the true believer, nor does he assume the close mindedness of the determined skeptic. He essentially casts himself in the role of umpire, and "calls 'em like he sees 'em." And that is refreshing, because this book is not about whether ghosts, bigfoots, and UFO's are real. It's about the people that search for them. The cast of characters is truly remarkable.

Quite frankly, I'm ready for Volume 2, Mr. Krulos. In the meantime, I'll be reading this one again and again.

Destination Truth Season 1
Destination Truth Season 1
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars See the World with Josh Gates, April 7, 2015
First of all, allow me to say that I am a confirmed skeptic when it comes to cryptozoology. I'll believe in the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, Champ, and their various cousins when a body turns up. Don't get me wrong. Like the famous poster in the X-Files, I want to believe. I just need more proof than a fuzzy photo or a cast of a large foot. However, this show really isn't about that, even if it is the underlying premise.

No, Destination Truth is a travelogue. It's a very entertaining show hosted by an extremely likeable and charismatic host that is filmed in many interesting and exotic locations worldwide. We get to see the landscapes, meet the people, and occasionally be introduced to some very unappealing yet edible delicacies. We see the massive stone pyramids of the Yucatan and Cambodia. We traverse the mysterious, murky rivers of Africa and South America. We dive on shipwrecks, scramble through caves, and thrash our way through dense vegetation ("Back, back, back...Snake!"). And we get to all of these exotic places in some of the most questionable and unreliable methods of transportation ever devised. Plus, we get to hear the local villagers warn Josh that he will surely be eaten by whatever monster is lurking in the neighborhood. Surely.

It's all very enjoyable, and it's a shame it only ran for five seasons. Unlike many series, this one never deteriorated in quality or entertainment value. The very last episode in Season Five is every bit as good as the first episode in Season One.

So buy them all if you want to see the world courtesy of a very entertaining host and crew. But don't expect to see the Giant Peruvian Mountain Walrus; that's really not what the show is all about.

U.S. Marine Hospital
U.S. Marine Hospital
Price: $1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Fabricated History. Fabricated Evidence?, April 7, 2015
Sorry guys. I just watched the debut of Season Two last night, and every bit of credibility you may have had went down the disposal. I have lived in Memphis my entire life, and know the Memphis Marine Hospital well. Where in the world did you come up with that fabricated history? The hospital was built in 1884. Given that fact, how could "thousands of Civil War soldiers" have died there? There was a hospital in Memphis at the time of the Civil War, but this wasn't it. And the bit about caging victims of Yellow Fever? Seriously? The last Yellow Fever epidemic in Memphis was in 1879 (before the hospital was even built) and "tens of thousands" of victims didn't die, especially at that hospital. Total fatalities from that epidemic were approximately 5,000. Yes, that's a lot, but they didn't die in the Marine Hospital, and they certainly weren't caged.

Since these paranormal investigators are so adept at fabricating the history behind a location, what are we supposed to think of their "evidence?" It's a shame, really. You could have had a good show. Now it's all just "campfire ghost stories."
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2015 10:29 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3