Profile for Matt > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Matt RSS Feed (Columbus, OH USA)

Such Great Heights
Such Great Heights
32 used & new from $0.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cool, February 18, 2008
This review is from: Such Great Heights (Audio CD)
I got this single for two reasons. First, I had a gift card that was expiring, so I started searching for a CD I could buy for under $7 including shipping. Second, I'd heard this song in many places and already liked it. So I decided to support the group and buy the single.

It shouldn't be a surprise, then, that I like the song. What was surprising to me, though, is that track 4 is the cover by Iron and Wine - which I'd heard on commercials and also liked, but didn't know who had performed. So the purchase turned out to have a bonus component.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish (but), February 18, 2008
The shoes arrived very promptly, and were exactly as pictures. I'm very pleased with how they look - which was one of my bigger concerns before purchasing as I tend to be a visual person.

The only downside to the shoes is that, for my foot shape, there's a rough spot on the outside of my feet where the stitching of the lip tries to scrape through my sock. I'm hopeful that this will be solved by breaking the shoes in a bit, but if not it will restrict the shoes to only special occasions (where I can grin and bear the irritation).

Provided this comfort issue resolves itself, this will be a 5-star review.

The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer (Bantam Spectra Book)
The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer (Bantam Spectra Book)
by Neal Stephenson
Price: $13.40
199 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating scenarios, technology, November 27, 2001
Having read Stephenson's first novel, "Snow Crash", I looked forward to this one a great deal - and by and large, I wasn't disappointed. The places (Chinese coastal areas, Seattle, London, and a good bit of virtual places) are well-described - particularly the areas found in the Primer (a central plot element, essentially a hyper-wired children's book). The author's envisioning of nanotechnology and how it might affect our lives as it becomes pervasive are both well-detailed and somewhat frightening (particularly in this post-Anthrax climate). If I had a criticism of this novel, it would be that the territory Stephenson maps out is just a bit too grandiose to really be addressed completely. While Nell's adventures in the Primer are well-detailed, some of the real-world events surrounding Hackworth and (especially) the theater troupes and Hackworth's family are almost as compelling, yet glossed over. While every novel is bound to have its incidental characters, I found myself wanting more information about some of those 'sidebar' events.

Rant & Roar
Rant & Roar
27 used & new from $0.25

5.0 out of 5 stars You haven't lived until you've heard "End of the World", December 9, 1999
This review is from: Rant & Roar (Audio CD)
I heard these guys on the radio over an NPR station, "The Night Pat Murphy Died" specifically - kind of folk music on speed, I guess. The CD is amazing, few CDs make me want to get up and dance as much as this one does. I've played it for friends (all of whom have slightly eclectic tastes) and its become the most popular CD of mine to "borrow". If you like folksy music played quickly and with passion, this is a must-own CD.

Avatars of the Word: From Papyrus to Cyberspace
Avatars of the Word: From Papyrus to Cyberspace
by James Joseph O'Donnell
48 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much papyrus, December 8, 1999
This was an interesting book, but perhaps not what I expected. The subtitle "from papyrus to cyberspace" is a bit misleading, as the author tends to focus more on history - and how we as a culture have defined our historic traditions (why we equate Greeks and Romans to the exclusion of other pre-Renaissance traditions). Perhaps the author is just trying to build up our understanding of how history (particular literary history) is selected/manufactured, but I would much rather have seen more attention paid to "where are we -really-, and where are we -going" type of issues.