Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for dishpandan > Reviews

Browse

dishpandan's Profile

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

dishpandan RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Cool for the Summer [Explicit]
Cool for the Summer [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and powerful, July 7, 2016
I love the Demi Lovato original and this is the only cover of it that I find worthy. 89 cents is a steal

Star Trek Volume 12
Star Trek Volume 12
by Mike Johnson
Price: $16.74
42 used & new from $11.84

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars for the Kelvin Timeline, July 7, 2016
This review is from: Star Trek Volume 12 (Paperback)
One half is the NuTrek version of the mirror universe. There is a great cameo I do not want to spoil for you. The art is spot-on.

The other half is fleshing out the Rachel Nichols character from the first JJA film. This was an entertaining story as well.

Even though this is volume 12, you can start here if you've only seen the two films and be just fine. After this I would read Manifest Destiny which is very good.

Star Trek: Manifest Destiny

And if you need a refresher for the (Prime) Mirror Universe, I recommend this set

Star Trek: Alternate Realities Collective

All I Ask of You (feat. Malinda Kathleen Reese)
All I Ask of You (feat. Malinda Kathleen Reese)
Price: $0.89

5.0 out of 5 stars There are many covers of Phantom out there. This is now the best one., July 7, 2016
If you are familiar with Mr. Young's work, you know to expect an epic re-interpretation of the music in modern rock format. He is a very talented multi-instrumentalist and this is his forte. I would buy a cover of the entire Phantom score if it was Mr. Young and Ms. Reese like this.

Ms. Reese has a phenomenal voice and it is just eye-opening to hear her do more serious work here rather than humorous takes on Youtube. Mr. Young collaborates with many incredible female singers and she might be my new favorite partner of his. When harmonizing their voices compliment each other perfectly.

Buy this if you would like to hear a wonderful arrangement of a moving song. Even if you've never heard the terrific ALW original, this would be a bargain at thrice the price.

Star Wars: Dark Times: The Path to Nowhere Gallery Edition
Star Wars: Dark Times: The Path to Nowhere Gallery Edition
by Wheatley, Doug
Price: $94.81
26 used & new from $49.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, just one thing you should know though, December 5, 2014
This is a very nice presentation of a really good Star Wars story. I just want to clarify something about the product in case you are expecting something else, like I was.

I am a fan of the Artist Editions of comics, where you get to see penciled pages prior to their inking and color -- and at full drawing size before it is shrunk down for printing. That is what I thought I was ordering here. I did not realize that there are no word balloons, which makes it different from the others that I have as you will process this differently when reading.

I still loved it, it just surprised me. To make up for the missing word balloons, the main change is that you get to read the entire script on the facing page. Picture reading an annotated edition of a famous book, that's what it looks like. Or a grown up version of a children's book where a huge drawing is accompanied by a limited amount of text. It's an interesting behind the scenes look; like watching a theatrical cut and a director's cut of a movie but at the same time.

If you already know and love the regular \ previous copy of this comic, then this will be a very nice new way to appreciate it. If you have never read the series before at all (like me), it still makes perfect sense and is a fun way to experience the gorgeous work. If you are wondering why it is not as huge as some other artist's editions -- it is still a big, oversized hardcover though -- that is because this specific artist actually drew it at this size. It was never reduced down, according to the supplements I read inside.

I feel like this information could've been included in the description, so that potential buyers could be more informed about the difference between a Gallery Edition vs an Artist's Edition. I would say it is like a larger version of a DC "Unwrapped" book, minus any color at all inside. Hope this helps
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2015 7:14 AM PST

Heavenly Father
Heavenly Father
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, July 14, 2014
This review is from: Heavenly Father (MP3 Music)
I already loved Bon Iver but this might be my favorite song now. It is possibly their best track yet. I wish the whole thing was in the movie instead of just a short clip -- it doesn't even get to the best part during the scene. Definitely buy it so you can hear it all!

Teen Titans by Geoff Johns Omnibus
Teen Titans by Geoff Johns Omnibus
by Judd Winick
Price: $109.26
38 used & new from $77.83

4.0 out of 5 stars very good tale but not a standalone, March 4, 2013
What this book IS: a way to read all of Geoff Johns' Teen Titans stories at once, at high quality production and a good price.
What this book ISN'T: a way to read the comprehensive Teen Titans with a clear beginning\middle\end.

I finished reading this from cover to cover today, I really enjoyed it and if you like Johns' writing or DC's characters you will probably like it too. It's similar to his style with his Lantern teams except substitute magic instead of outer space (I prefer space though).

There are a LOT of characters in this book. I hadn't heard of most of them before other than Superboy (Conner Kent version), Robin (Tim Drake version), Speedy (Mia Dearden version) and Impulse (Bart Allen). The plots focused on them and Wonder Girl (Cassie Sandsmark version) were my favorites. The stuff with the others was fine too but less meaningful to me. By the end of this massive book it is mostly all "B-level" side characters however, just FYI.

The biggest thing I think you should know is that it kinda counts on you being fairly familiar with the DC universe of that era. It would greatly help you as a reader if you were already knowledgeable on the prior teams (like the previous Teen Titans and Young Justice) and related teams (like the Outsiders or Doom Patrol). Additionally, this book covers so many years that it crosses many major events (such as Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, some OMAC stuff, some Amazon stuff, etc) and a primary character relies on you remembering the Death of Superman \ Reign of the Supermen comics from the '90s. If you haven't read those you may not know what is going on sometimes. You should be able to follow what the Titans are up to and why but you may be lost as to the big picture at points.

Keep in mind most of the Titans also exist in their own separate titles at the time or at least appear in their "family's" stories. Those issues impact them too and they carry that over to this comic, often without explanations. For me personally the most confusing aspects are when members will join the team and leave the team (or die and resurrect) yet one of the two events will be included while the other won't. I don't know if that's because it took place when someone else was writing or what but I just had to go with the flow.

Note for the editors: it really is over 1400 pages long but nearly every chapter has a blank black page separating it from the next so I really think they could've been used to throw in a couple lines of text explaining what is going on outside of the book to get the audience more up to speed.

Lastly, if you are not experienced with a hardcover comic this thick the middle section is quite tough to read in your lap. It's so heavy that you have to hold it open with effort and when the page gets towards the binding you have to work at reading it.

In conclusion if they had made a little more effort at turning it into a single long arc with lots of subplots then it would've been five stars from me. Instead it is just a stack of somewhat related chapters occasionally presented without context and that hurts it's readability as a cohesive epic. If I had known all of this beforehand I still would have ordered the book even though I've only read about half of the other works it depends on.

Toothless Grin
Toothless Grin

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the top songs of 2012, February 17, 2013
This review is from: Toothless Grin (MP3 Music)
I was pretty shocked that nobody had reviewed this yet, considering how good it is. If you like the lighter, fun sounding side of modern alternative music please give this a try. You will be singing along quickly. I am really glad I bought it!

Falling
Falling

5.0 out of 5 stars HAIM have yet to make a bad song, February 17, 2013
This review is from: Falling (MP3 Music)
If you like talented "heartbreaker pop" then do yourself a favor and check out the best with HAIM.
This, their newest song, is just wonderful -- from the catchy beat to the layers of instruments to the dropouts and sister harmonies of great lyrics.
They craft their music so well that even if you listen to it daily you do not get sick of it. There is just so much to appreciate all over the tracks, unlike the simple throwaway tunes that dominate the radio today.

Irresistible
Irresistible
by Raven Gregory
Price: $15.24
19 used & new from $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars very pleased with my blind buy, February 5, 2013
This review is from: Irresistible (Paperback)
I ordered this based on the plot description (a clever take on something every guy has imagined no doubt) and because the art style looked good. Nobody had reviewed it yet so here is my take.

I definitely enjoyed it and would like them to make more. At this price you can really afford to give it a shot if you are in the mood for a colorful adventure that starts out fun but changes.

I want to note that this is essentially rated R, in movie terms, just FYI. And an added bonus is that after the main comic ends, there is some extra content which previews other comics as well.

Venus: Daedalus One
Venus: Daedalus One
by Jeffrey Morris
13 used & new from $1.07

4.0 out of 5 stars a thriller on the second rock from the sun, February 5, 2013
This review is from: Venus: Daedalus One (Paperback)
Nobody had written a review for this graphic novel so I wanted to try and give it a boost.

I picked this up because I was interested to check out "hard" (more realistic) sci-fi, and learn about Venus.

I liked the story a lot. It throws you into a believable prediction of our future and makes sense. It presents its points in an exciting way and you care about the characters and what happens to them.

If it succeeds you will finish reading it and then get on Wikipedia to learn more about Venus! Looking forward to more output from this creative team.

Page: 1 | 2