Profile for Skip Cato > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Skip Cato "Babadu" RSS Feed (Bartlesville, OK USA)

Somebody Bigger Than You & I
Somebody Bigger Than You & I
20 used & new from $2.88

5.0 out of 5 stars DOT RECORDINGS, October 17, 2008
I agree, this is an awesome CD. The DOT recordings are especially powerful. I especially like hearing that the sound of Clara Ward walking to the piano to play Joshu' Fit The Battle..., and saying to the girls, "Ya'll clap" was captured on the recording. (I'm strange like that.) I think it's priceless, and although I have had, for over 30 years, the LP, I'd pay a lot more than priced for this CD if I had to.

Donald Lawrence and the Tri-City Singers: Bible Stories
Donald Lawrence and the Tri-City Singers: Bible Stories
DVD ~ Donald Lawrence and the Tri-City Singers
Price: $14.98
20 used & new from $7.70

5.0 out of 5 stars A REAL LEGACY OF GOSPEL FROM THE GOSPEL, June 28, 2008
A tinge of sadness accompanies my joy and delight while viewing this DVD. Years ago I purchased the CD version of this work, and love it to pieces! It is such an added joy to actually see these darlings of gospel music skillfully perform.

Tri-County and Donald Lawrence are no longer a team, but they have left us quite a legacy of gospel artistry that points to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns
Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns

5.0 out of 5 stars HE NEEDS TO KU-WIT!, June 28, 2008
I anxiously purchased this DVD on the day that it was released to local stores. I couldn't wait, knowing that I'd never been disappointed by the artistry of Tyler Perry. By the time the last scene was rolling, so was I, i.e. on the floor, laughing in pain!

Again, Tyler Perry and his cast of talented comedians inspires us to mend family differences and appreciate each other.

Sister Cantaloupe: Un''Be-Weave''able
Sister Cantaloupe: Un''Be-Weave''able
DVD ~ Sister Cantaloupe
Price: $13.46
16 used & new from $1.54

3.0 out of 5 stars MORE THAN I EXPECTED, June 28, 2008
Found this CD in a thrift shop for pennies. Because I'd heard that this was not too good, I didn't think what I paid for it was too bad for what I was getting. Well, my wife and I laughed for 45 minutes on our way to church at the humor of this artist. We could hear where others have gotten some of their inspiration as well. A couple of things were "borrowed" from other sources, obviously, but her delivery of them added a flavor that was Sister Cantaloupe.

Singing in a Strange Land: C. L. Franklin, the Black Church, and the Transformation of America
by Nick Salvatore
Price: $38.00
89 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars HISTORY YOU MUST KNOW ABOUT, June 28, 2008
In my humble opinion, the history delineated in this writing should be taught in classrooms across America and beyond! I learned so much about the evolution of citizenship, religion in the USA, and music of all genres from this book. I was left feeling that I owe such a great debt to so many who suffered and sacrificed so much that I can enjoy life in this country. The privileges and the luxuries we bask in have deep roots enlivened by much blood, sweat and tears. So much was made clear, especially where it pertains to different music artists, their styles of delivery and their associations with other genres of artists.

I grew up loving both Rev. C. L. Franklin and Clara Ward. I was glad to learn that they loved each other, as Aretha Franklin also attests.

Country Roads
Country Roads

5.0 out of 5 stars A FINE PLACE TO FIND CLARA WARD, June 28, 2008
This review is from: Country Roads (Vinyl)
I found this LP in the late 80s, at an Oklahoma thrift shop, no less. I'd not heard of it before, although a friend of mine from Atlanta told me that he remembers seeing the airing on TV when he was a child. When I listened to it, and heard the Clara Ward (my great inspiration to play and sing gospel) and the Ward Gospel Singers do "Swing Low, Chariot," I realized the Flip Wilson clip on which they swung "low for Brother Hayes" was taken from this recording. It was recorded at ORU, and the description should reference Richard "Roberts" (son of Oral Roberts), not "Rogers."

You will not find a more exquisite recording quality of any of the performers as found on this LP. I have purchased a second copy for good measure, and if you don't get this one, I probably will!