Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS
Profile for J. Taylor > Reviews

Browse

J. Taylor's Profile

Customer Reviews: 201

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Taylor RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
DEWALT Bare-Tool DC385B  18-Volt Cordless Reciprocating Saw
DEWALT Bare-Tool DC385B 18-Volt Cordless Reciprocating Saw
Price: $99.00
19 used & new from $62.30

3.0 out of 5 stars This puppy likes to jump!, March 24, 2016
I like DeWalt tools, and I got this because it used the same batteries as my hammer drill and cordless circular saw. Those have been great. But I returned this saw. I'm not a professional builder or anything, so I don't have a ton of experience with various reciprocator saws, but it was a war using this thing. Cutting wood, pruning trees, even shortening an aluminum was exhausting. The amount of vibration that transferred from the saw back to me was punishing: my hands up to my elbows were numb for a half hour after use, and (this sounds like hyperbole but it's true) my vision actually shook during use to the point where I couldn't see the material I was cutting.

To be fair, my technique for using a reciprocating saw was garnered from watching YouTube videos. I DID use the correct blade for each application; and they were Bosch blades which I'm told are of higher quality than some. A lot of my issues still might just be user error.

On the plus side, the saw has a great four-way chuck for its blade giving the user versatility. The method of changing the blade out is really easy, as is adjusting the shoe.

I may look for another reciprocating saw in the future, but I'll do a bit more research.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2016 10:55 AM PDT

Samsung VR2AJ9020UG Powerbot Essential Robotic Vacuum
Samsung VR2AJ9020UG Powerbot Essential Robotic Vacuum
Offered by Quanta LLC
Price: $428.60
38 used & new from $335.00

4.0 out of 5 stars There's a lot to like here, February 24, 2016
The Powerbot is a capable robot vacuum on both hardwood and carpeted floors. Generally it navigated my house competently and automatically cleaned each room first going in one direction, than in another. Where it could reach, it was an excellent cleaner. The dust bin is great, since you can see when it's getting full and it's also very easy to empty and clean. The remote control is also handy if you happen to be home while it's running and it missed a spot.

The downsides of the bot are few in number, but high on importance. First, it's tall for a robot vac. It went under my bed and kitchen table fine, but couldn't make it under my sofa or ottoman where the cat fuzz tumble weeds live. I've uploaded a picture of the second issue: it's lousy with edge cleaning. The pic is my white baseboard and wood floor. As an experiment, I sprinkled fine cat litter around (yes, unused litter) to see how the machine did. Here is the result. It picked the litter up perfectly except along the baseboard, even after rolling right up against the baseboard.

The Powerbot is a solid machine and does a lot of stuff right. Hopefully a future model has improved edge cleaning abilities.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Satori Buckwheat Crescent Zafu Meditation Cushion - Zen, Yoga, Mindfulness - Comfortable Cotton Cover, Adjustable Fill, Washable, with Zipper, Handle and Inside Cover (Organic White)
Offered by Satori Wholesale Goods

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for getting into a meditation posture, February 13, 2016
In trying to become more serious about my new hobby of mindfulness meditation, I thought a specially cushion or seat might be in order for comfort reasons. I like this one because the inner buckwheat filling is contained in its own pouch within the pillow. Some other pillows I looked at required you to dump out the buckwheat when you want to launder the outer case, potentially making a mess.

It's also very simple. It seems rather small and is simply a crescent shaped pillow with a little strap for a handle. The filling isn't too firm and has just the right amount of give when sitting on it. For the most comfortable posture, one needs to sit somewhat forward on the cushion in a cross legged manner. This allows your pelvis to be more open as it sits slightly higher than your knees. The rest of your body falls into place, especially your spine and upper body. I find I'm able to meditate longer than before, and focus less on my physical comfort and more on my breathing, meditating, etc.

A good buy!

Brady 127717 Machine and Operational Sign, Legend "Watch Your Head", 7" Height, 10" Width, Black on Yellow
Price: $7.86
2 used & new from $7.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality metal sign, February 13, 2016
I bought this to place above the staircase going down to my basement so my friends wouldn't bonk their heads. It's a nice bright yellow, and so far has prevented anyone from receiving any mild concussions!

Coaster 3 Piece Dining Set Cappuccino
Coaster 3 Piece Dining Set Cappuccino
Price: $159.00
15 used & new from $159.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A good low-cost option if limited on space., February 10, 2016
This bistro set is fine as a low-cost option. My house is small with no dining room; I only have a breakfast nook. By folding one of the leafs in, the table and chairs work for my space. The leafs are stable when they are extended. You need to put this set together which isn't difficult, just awkward to deal with. Once assembled, the table and chairs are pretty solid, though I recommend re-tightening the screws after its been used a bit to get everything nice and snug. All three pieces of furniture are of an adequate height for my six-foot, 200 pound frame. The chairs are straight-backed, and the cushions are pretty firm (read: thin with little stuffing). You get what you pay for. The finish is 'espresso' and already has a few chips in it from shipping. The other issue I've had is that the chairs have dowels on the underside of the cushions which are hammered into the frame and aid in supporting the cushion. They refuse to stay in. The seat is still usable, but you may want to consider gluing them into the frame if it bugs you.

It's a decent low-cost option for people with limited space.

Slipstick CB511 2" Furniture Gripper Foot Floor Protector 1" Riser (set of 4) Black
Price: $7.75
9 used & new from $7.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid choice for raising furniture on wood flooring, February 10, 2016
I bought these to raise up my ottoman so that my http://www.amazon.com/iRobot-Roomba-Vacuum-Cleaning-Robot/dp/B013E9L4ZS/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0W132ATC4EA4MN0H5GVP could clean underneath. They worked fine; I just drilled them to the bottoms of the existing legs. The legs are black already, so they aren't noticeable unless you look for them. They don't mar the floor either.

iRobot Roomba 980 Vacuum Cleaning Robot
iRobot Roomba 980 Vacuum Cleaning Robot
Price: $899.99
26 used & new from $724.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A lengthy comparison of three robot vacuum models (And my I like the Roomba 980 the best), January 26, 2016
This review will be lengthy. I'll compare this 980 with the Roomba 870 owned by my parents and my Neato Botvac D85. These opinions are strictly my own based on approximately one month of using these robot vacs in a variety of situations. If you dislike my opinion, that's cool. If you feel directly insulted that my opinion doesn't match yours, then you are a delicate flower who should likely stay off the internet (I kid, of course). So buckle up!

To start, here is the TL, DR version of my review: The Roomba 980 is a huge leap ahead for Roombas, with navigation abilities far surpassing the previous generation (870/880).

The really REALLY short version: I think it's spiffy.

Now for the real thing:

I purchased the iRobot Roomba 870 Vacuum Cleaning Robot For Pets and Allergies on sale at a local store, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I live in a small ranch home (836 sq ft) with 100% hardwood floors and the messiest geriatric cat you've ever seen. While the 870 sports a new set of "extractors" (essentially rubbery rollers that replace the old-style bristled beater brushes and are designed to prevent tangles), I could never be sure it cleaned well. It uses some combination of algorithms based on how it bumps into furniture and walls, it's infrared sensors, and some form of alchemy known only to iRobot and possibly Gandalf the White. While the extractors and suction power do a great job of cleaning both wood floors and carpet (my parents have a Chihuahua, and I trialed it at their place), the semi-random wandering of the 870 seemed to be most effective when left in a small room with the door closed as opposed to wandering my entire house which was my preference for it's use. As such, I gave my parents the 870 (they love it in their multi level house, BTW; they toss it into a room, hit 'Clean' and close the door), and explored another popular option.

The Neato Botvac D80 Robot Vacuum for Pets and Allergies. This robot is fascinating to me. Neato is a newer brand, approximately ten years younger than the Boston-based iRobot. Regardless, their approach to a robot vacuum is quite different. The D80 is literally shaped like a capital 'D'. The flat part of the body allows it to get right up against a wall straight on. It also has a side brush, but like all the robot vacuums I'll mention, corners aren't it's strong suit. It DOES, however, get much closer to the wall than the Roombas do. The dust bin is larger, and easier to remove from the body, although removing the filter to empty it can be messy. It has a combo bristle and silicone blade brush that runs nearly the length of the flat portion of its body, making it fairly efficient. The combo brush works fine on hardwood and carpet, and its quieter than the silicone blade brush when in use. Neato as should just drop the blade brush in my opinion. I also found it to be quieter than either Roomba. It cleaned well on hardwood, but I didn't test it on carpet so you've got me there. Unlike the Roomba 870's bounce and go navigation, the Neato has a low powered spinning laser turret (doesn't that sound cool? Laser turret. Like something out of Star Wars!) which spins constantly reading the surroundings. This means that it can also work in total darkness which might be of value to some. It also has an interesting trick to get out of sticky situations: both of its main drive wheels are able to extend upwards and almost 'bunny hop' to get free. It's kind of interesting to see, and is often effective. Because of it's laser turret (sweet!) It is able to clean my entire floor plan in one go and dock itself 90% of the time. It is impressive and cheaper than most Roombas.

The downsides of the Neato are few, but important. The first is lousy customer service. I contacted them several times by email, phone, and online chat and got nothing. Whenever I contact iRobot, I get a prompt replay that is to the point and polite. You can tell iRobot has been in the retail game longer than Neato. The other issue involves Neato's longevity. Mine has been fine, but many on internet forums, review sites (Amazon) have mentioned software error codes, stuck turrets, batteries that won't hold a charge after only a few months. I only toss that out there so you can keep it in the back of your head, and maybe get some form of warranty through Square trade. It also will eat more cords than either Roomba, and tends to want to crawl up furniture where the legs gently slope upwards (it has gotten fresh with my coat rack on many occasions due to this issue). All bots need to have cords, shoe laces, and other common sense items placed out of their way to get around without incident, but I feel that the D85 needs more hand holding than the Roombas. It seems to get itself hung up on objects more easily, and is not able to extricate itself all the time without human intervention. I feel more confident letting the Roombas 980 clean when I'm not home than the Neato. So far it has been much more independent, and I'd always find it back on its cradle when I come home from work (it's app tells me it ran, for how long, and how many square feet it did, so I know it actually cleaned as opposed to not moving). One final niggle about the Neato: its rear exhaust. Unlike either Roomba model mentioned here that direct their rear exhaust slightly upwards, Neato blows it straight back. It sounds minor, by as it roams a room, it blows hair and dust all over, so junk moves out of the bot's future path where it would have been sucked up. The Roombas avoid this, the detritus doesn't move, and it gets picked up. I may be picking at nits here but with my hardwood floors and shedding cat, I've seen it happen and it can be quite annoying after awhile.

Finally, the aforementioned Roomba 980

I like this thing the best. It has impressed me the most of the three. The cleaning ability and suction is top notch. It is a much more solid device than the Neato (in terms of pure weight and feel). The new navigation combines a low resolution camera mounted on top at a 45 degree angle as well as a smaller sensor on the bottom that acts a bit like an optical mouse. My 980 cleans every room in my house on the one level quite well. Cat litter, lint, and God knows what else gets picked up beautifully. It has a more advanced Lithium ion battery, which the others lack. The app that you can download for iOS or Android is quite thorough. In fact most of your controls for the 980 will be through the app via a phone or tablet (which might not be of interest to you). The ability the app gives to tweak the settings on the machine is great. I won't go into much detail on them since this comparison review is crazy long already, but for a first time attempt at an app, iRobot did great. And it just updated for me today so I know they want to keep the user experience positive. For the app to work, the 980 needs WiFi (since the app works through your WiFi network). It also means that the 980 can potentially receive firmware updates that could improve it's performance (in theory). If this is utilized by iRobot, the 980 would be a bit more 'future proofed' than other offerings. The 980 has a carpet sensing mode where when it rolls over carpet from bare floor, it increases the suction power until it leaves the carpet (or in my case, rug). This sounds gimmicky, but the flippin' thing works every time. It's much louder in the carpet mode, but as the English say 'it does what it says on the tin'. Via the app, you can turn this option on or off, keep the higher power on all the time, or keep it on it's normal power all the time (normal has been sufficient for me). The app allows another feature if you wish: a double clean. Instead of just one go through your house, it will do a second in a criss-cross pattern so it can be extra thorough. It basically gives your Roomba OCD.

Nothing is perfect of course. Even in its normal mode, the 980 is noisier than the Neato, I feel. And compared to the Neato, all Roombas have a smaller cleaning path. As it navigates, it compensates for this, so it hasn't been an issue. It also tends to run into dark furniture harder than I'd like. When it approaches my white baseboards, it slows up, gives it a little love tap, then moves on. My black furniture, however, gets smacked a bit harder, although it hasn't left a mark (yet). Another problem, compared to Neato, is that it won't navigate in total darkness. Low light levels are fine (I've had it going in some very dim rooms with no problems), but there needs to be something for the camera to pick up on. The very last issue with the Roomba 980? Price. Seriously, a robot vacuum is already a First World luxury, but just shy of a grand? Wowsers. Sometimes I'm surprised I shelled out for it.

But for what it is, it's great. Any of these three devices would serve you well, but for me the 980 is everything I want, and I've yet to be disappointed with it.

I hope this comparison was of some value to you, and frankly, if you read this far I'm impressed! Your attention span far surpasses mine!

Cheers!

**Update**
I took the Neato Botvac to my parents' house on a visit. They have carpeted floors and a long-haired dog who sheds like crazy. The Roombas 980 did well, but the Neato Botvac was an absolute BEAST! The comb brush was super effective, and the bin was stuffed with dog hair. Just thought I'd update in the interest of fairness.

iRobot Roomba 870 Vacuum Cleaning Robot
iRobot Roomba 870 Vacuum Cleaning Robot
Offered by Falcon Sports
Price: $593.00
30 used & new from $475.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Pseudo Review: Roomba 870 vs Neato D85, December 25, 2015
I was undecided between the Neato Botvac D85 and this Roomba 870, and had played with both for about a week prior to returning the Neato. I won't bash the Neato; in fact it was a close call since both are impressive robots AND vacuum cleaners. Ultimately I chose the Roomba based on three criteria:

1. Ability to clean. Both bots can clean, and in all actuality, the Roomba only pulled out slightly ahead of the Neato in terms of my non-scientific tests involving Chex cereal and sugar tossed on the floor. (The Roomba's name is Optimus Grime, by the way. I read someplace that 70% of robot vacuum owners name their robots. Odd.). Anyway, it seems that the smaller the space, the more Roomba's somewhat random method of traversing that space results in thoroughness and multiple passes. It isn't entirely random; while watching it clean it is clear in some cases that there is method to its madness. I'm still constantly impressed by how much it picks up. In terms of pure navigation, the Neato is more logical: it fires up out of the gate, spins its laser turret and maps the room. In most cases, its movements were very precise while threading around furniture. But it often only did one pass. If it didn't get something the first time, well, meh. Both were great at my typical messes: cat fur, litter scattered everyplace, and dust bunnies. I do like how the exhaust from the Roomba pointed slightly upwards so as not to accidentally scatter debris around that it hasn't collected yet.

2. Perceived robustness. iRobot has been making robots since 2002. It also dabbles in military and police grade robots aside from making cute vacuums and autonomous pool cleaners. It is my understanding (I didn't check up on it) that Neato is a newer company. And one that apparently has some kinks to work out. Neither machine is perfect, but informal Google searches show that Roomba owners have been generally using their robots for years only needing standard maintenance. Neato owners have complained about glitchy software and flimsy plastic parts. The week I had my D85, I received the infamous 'Please clear my path" error. There was nothing in it's way at all. It also got fixated on a corner of my kitchen and just sort of spun around. These things are pricey, and although they ship with manufacturers' warranties, I'd prefer to let the product work as advertised and not hassling the company for technical assistance. Which leads me to:

3. Customer service. Every single email or live chat I've had with iRobot customer service has resulted in a prompt reply that wasn't some boilerplate message. I was concerned that my Roomba was running into my black furniture fairly hard (it has a tough time 'seeing' black) and contacted customer service to see if that was normal. Although it was, they shipped me out a free set of bumper extenders that I can place on the Roomba. Perfect solution? Nope, but they tried and I'm sure the bumpers will help stave off potential damage. Now, the three times I contacted Neato, I got nothing. Zip. Tumbleweeds were rolling across my screen. I need to know that a company that is selling a complex and expensive product will be their to help with issues.

In conclusion, Both devices have their merits and downfalls, but NEITHER is incompetent as a robot or a vacuum. They both have different means as to how they go about their duties. I really had to take time and think about which would stay home and which would be returned. I'm happy with my Optimus Grime, but I'm sure either device would be helpful in your home

Hoover Air Cordless 2-in-1 Stick and Handheld Vacuum, BH52100PC
Hoover Air Cordless 2-in-1 Stick and Handheld Vacuum, BH52100PC
Price: $113.29
11 used & new from $90.63

4.0 out of 5 stars but it was annoying getting it out all the time for what is ..., December 4, 2015
I'll be brief.
I basically got this to keep in the room where my cat's litter box is. I have a full size vacuum, but it was annoying getting it out all the time for what is essentially a small but frequent job. I looked at a bunch of 'stick vac' reviews but settled on this one. My house is mostly hardwood floors, and is small (836 square feet). Here's what I found:

The vacuum had remarkably good suction initially. Even without engaging the beater brush, it could pick up stray litter, fur balls, dust and the odd spider without issue (the spiders took issue, but screw 'em).

The LED headlight is amazing. Seriously. Even in daylight, the light is angled and bright enough where you can see debris otherwise invisible to the naked eye.

Assembly is easy. Put the handle on, put one screw through the accessory holder and handle, and tighten said screw. Done.

I had no issues with the wheels or brush scratching my floors. The swivel head worked very well; with a twist of my wrist I could direct the vacuum around corners and into tight spaces. Some claim it is unwieldy, but I thought it worked great.

The hand vac mode was super handy for cleaning out your car and whatnot.

It's cordless, so it was quick to pick up, use, then put away if I was in a hurry.

The downside: it's cordless. Sure its Lithium ion, but the battery and charger I received took nine hours to charge fully, and yielded about twenty minutes of use. My house is small, but I would have liked more juice per charge.

The dust cup is small, and needs emptying often. You can't empty it completely since there are lots of crevices molded into the plastic where junk gets trapped.

The filter in the dust cup is exposed, so almost immediately fine grit and dust clog it, lowering suction power. The foam filter has to be cleaned every 4-6 uses, and left to dry for 24 hours. You could buy two, I guess.

The pros outweigh the cons, but I still returned it. It was convienient, but for the price paid I was hoping for more battery longevity and no suction loss. Honestly, it's a great device. I just think it could be better.

I think I said I was going to be brief. I lied. My apologies.

Iron Man T Shirt Funny Chemistry Shirt Periodic Table Element Elemental Geeky Fe
Offered by shop4yoo-US
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun shirt of good quality, July 29, 2015
Clever shirt, and the material feels like its high quality and denser than the shirts you find at the big box stores locally. It's washed well and hasn't shrunk on me. The red and yellow are nice and bright. Cool buy - I've gotten lots of compliments on it the few times I've worn it out and about.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20