Profile for Writer Mom > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 182

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Writer Mom RSS Feed (Mountain Brook, Alabama)
(VINE VOICE)

Price: $3.99
3 used & new from $3.99

2.0 out of 5 stars YUK--what a mess, July 25, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have almost constant back pain and see a chiropractor regularly so I was looking forward to getting this product. I thought it would be the perfect way to use cold therapy but would not be as messy or uncomfortable as ice packs--and it's reusable, unlike some products in the drug store that cost a small fortune.

I am very disappointed. When I took it out of the package, the bandage seemed to be shedding/leaking big globs of goopy plastic. The product is sort of like an ace bandage and the stuff its infused with is sort of like the stuff that's inside disposable diapers to make them absorbent.

I tried wrapping the bandage so it would put cold on my lower back. The bandage definitely did not stay where I put it and it did not even remain flat. Within seconds it had wadded itself into a tight rope around my waist. Totally worthless.

And it's not even all that cold.

So sorry to give the product a bad review. I really wanted to like it.

Good idea just not very well executed.

Remington S8590 Keratin Therapy Straightener with Smart Sensor
Remington S8590 Keratin Therapy Straightener with Smart Sensor
Offered by Prime Electronics Warehouse
Price: $45.99
37 used & new from $38.99

4.0 out of 5 stars nice straightener, July 12, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like this straightener. It is much better than the discount store/drugstore ones I've tried. It gets very hot and the plates don't damage my hair.

However, I have a different Remington model straightener that I like better. This one is sleek but not quite as heavy. The button placement is better on this one than the other one. The buttons are on the side and out of the way on this one. On my other Remington one the buttons are so conveniently-placed on the outside that it's hard not to push them by mistake. However that one has a button-lock feature.

This one has a strip down the center of one of the plates that's supposed to sense the hair and automatically adjust the temperature to make sure it's not too hot.

I admit I don't begin to understand the technology behind this appliance and I don't know if it is really "infused" with conditioners or not. But I do know it works well and does not damage my hair like some other ones I've used.

The sides are a little sharper-edged than I'd like. I prefer sides that are slightly rounded.

Overall, a great product and I would recommend it.

Schick Hydro Silk for Women Razor
Schick Hydro Silk for Women Razor
Price: $9.59
29 used & new from $3.70

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not earthshaking, July 12, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This razor is OK but nothing to get excited about. I did not notice that the shave was any closer than with the cheaper disposable razors and I did not notice anything special about the water-activated moisturizers.

A razor is a razor.

The little suction cup thing is useless. I tried it wet, I tried it dry, I tried it five times and EVERY time, it fell off the tile.

In my opinion, there is no reason for shavers to be so expensive. Even disposables have gotten way too expensive. Bring back the basics and lower the price.

Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace: The Private Diary of a Victorian Lady
Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace: The Private Diary of a Victorian Lady
by Kate Summerscale
Price: $19.56
128 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, June 28, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This was a beautiful book cover, an intriguing title, and a great book idea. But the book was so disappointing I could not finish it.

I was expecting a diary that had juicy details that read like a novel and that's NOT what I got. This book might be interesting to a sociologist or a historian. It reads more like a textbook--in other words beyond borning.

Sorry, I tried to like it. I saw it hyped in Time Magazine and really wanted to like it. Very disappointed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2012 8:40 AM PDT

CLEAR SCALP & HAIR BEAUTY Total Care Nourishing Shampoo, 12.9 Fluid Ounce
CLEAR SCALP & HAIR BEAUTY Total Care Nourishing Shampoo, 12.9 Fluid Ounce
Price: $4.48
26 used & new from $1.60

5.0 out of 5 stars soft hair, clean scalp, June 28, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't currently have dandruff so I sort of ignore my scalp but it makes sense that a healthy scalp will support healthy hair. I like this in that it leaves my scalp feeling clean without that tingly feeling you get with some dandruff shampoos. And I also like that is lacks that medicine smell of some dandruff shampoos.

Of course, it's not a dandruff shampoo but I was sort of expecting the unpleasant odor of a dandruff shampoo and was pleasantly surprised that the smell was nice.

And I like how it makes my hair feel. Very soft and very clean.

PURINA Beneful Original Dog Food, 15.5-Pound
PURINA Beneful Original Dog Food, 15.5-Pound
Price: $13.29
16 used & new from $13.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy dogs, June 28, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My dogs have been eating this food exclusively since they were puppies. They always get good vet checkups and they have already passed the average life expectancy for their breed. They have healthy skin and teeth and are mature dogs with puppy personalities.

I feel like Beneful is a premium brand without the high price of some of the brands you can only buy from the vet or the pet store. I like that if I run short I can find Beneful almost everywhere.

American Tourister Spring Ranch 3 Piece Spinner Set
American Tourister Spring Ranch 3 Piece Spinner Set

4.0 out of 5 stars big suitcases, May 24, 2012
My fault for not getting out a ruler before ordering luggage, but these cases are HUGE. I did not realize how big they would be. Fortunately they nest nicely so they don't take up a whole closet.

I like the color, the fabric, and the features.

I am reluctant to rate it because I'm not yet sure how well it will hold up longterm. My flight attendant friends tell me there is no luggage that will really hold up to the demands of constant travelers. I've only made one car trip with one of these cases so far--no professional handlers have had a chance at it.

It seems to be sturdy with realiable wheel assemblies, zippers, and handles. But only time will tell. But so far, so good.

Mary Boleyn: The Mistress of Kings
Mary Boleyn: The Mistress of Kings
by Alison Weir
110 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Alison Weir is amazing, May 15, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am completely amazed by the talent and brain power of Alison Weir. She seems to have a remarkable understanding of history and a gift for writing it to make it interesting. I can't even begin to imagine the research that goes into her books.

I did not enjoy this book quite as much as some of Weir's other books. But that's probably more a reflection of my own current state of mind than her writing.

Heroes for My Daughter
Heroes for My Daughter
by Brad Meltzer
Price: $12.88
88 used & new from $0.40

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful book, May 15, 2012
This review is from: Heroes for My Daughter (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a beautiful book with great stories of amazing women. It is well-written, sensitive, and inspiring.

However, I'm not sure I would give it to my own daughter as a gift book. I'd like for her to read it, but I don't think I'd give it to her as a special gift. The reason is that the author has made it a little too personal about himself and his own daughter. On the cover his name is the biggest thing. It is just a little too much about Brad Meltzer and his family and not enough about the inspiring women in the book.

If it could be re-edited with a little less ego, I'd give it 5 stars and wrap it up for my own daughter.

BELOWDEAL® White/Pink USB Car Charger w/ USB cable for iPhone 4S 4 3GS also can be charge w/Otterbox Case on (includes a black stylus pen)
Offered by JNJ International Inc
Price: $10.95
2 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars cute AND it works, May 14, 2012
I previously purchased a different type of cord for charging my new iphone. The package on that one said it worked for iphone, ipad, and ipod, but when I plugged it into my car it did not charge the phone.

This one WORKS. And it's just plain cute.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19