Profile for J. Ray > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Ray "Storyteller" RSS Feed (West Texas)

Timex Men's T479029J Expedition Easy Set Alarm Brown Leather Strap Watch
Timex Men's T479029J Expedition Easy Set Alarm Brown Leather Strap Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique Features Make this a Keeper, Great Speech Timer, October 15, 2008
I have a Rolex Perpetual Datejust and a couple of Seikos. I have been wearing one of these Timex watches for two years. Why? The EasySet or Turn and Pull Alarm is the most useful feature I have ever had on my wrist. As far as I can tell it is unique. Here is how it works. There are two rotating bezels INSIDE the dial; one with a red pointer (for the hour) and one with a black pointer (for the minutes). Your third bezel is the big rotating OUTER bezel that does all the work.

Let's pretend you just called someone and got a busy signal. You don't want to forget to call back, so you reach down, grab the outer bezel, as you spin the outer bezel the inner bezels/dials begin to spin. In an instant you move the minute (black) pointer to ten minutes ahead of the current time. You let go of the outer bezel and pull the second crown (the one at four o'clock) all the way out (two clicks). You are done! In the time it took you to read the first six letter of this paragraph you are DONE. No other watch has an alarm this simple to use. I use it all day long as a reminder for those things that normally "slip" my mind.
I also use it for appointments constantly. All of us have the experience of having an appointment or call scheduled for 3:00 PM (for example) all day you are reminding yourself. You look at your watch about every twenty minutes and then you look down and you are five minutes LATE. You lost track of time! Thousands of watches have alarms but you never use them because you have to go thru too many steps to set them. This is where this Timex excels over every other watch I have.

If you want to set the alarm for more than sixty minutes just twist the bezel until you have both the black and red pointers at the time you want and pull the second crown half-way (one click). Note: This is a twelve hour alarm, you can not set it for more than twelve hours. That never bothers me, I use my cell phones kludgy but efficient day planner for those things.

The alarm is an adequately loud, louder than any of my Seikos. The Indiglo light flashes in time with the alarm and is bright enough that it makes it a cinch to find your watch on a nightstand in the dark!

My original watch has been banged, dropped, immersed, worn out two bands and still works perfectly. There is a black painted stripe inside the outer bezel that flaked after about a year to reveal a brass ring. Once the paint came off the brass ring actually looks better than the painted ring. The Indiglo dial is a Timex feature that rocks. It is super bright, but the color of blue doesn't seem to hurt my night vision. The illumination is probably too bright for life or death surveillance work, but unless terrorist snipers are hunting you in the dark you will be fine.

If you give speeches, teach or preach, this is a perfect time piece. Set it as you go to the lectern, when it beeps you can instantly silence it. It is so easy to set you can actually set it for another five or ten minutes WHILE YOU ARE SPEAKING.

Why do I have three? My first is two years old and still on its original battery. I loved it so much that I wanted a backup. That first model I have is no longer available so I tracked down this T47902 and bought two out of fear they might be discontinued. I may buy one or two more!

I am a gadget person and I have had watches that looked more complicated than a short course if Differential Equations, but this is USEFUL and USABLE. If it fits your needs you will be buying a spare just like I did.

Jeff
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2014 1:30 PM PDT

Sony ICF-S10MK2 Pocket AM/FM Radio, Silver
Sony ICF-S10MK2 Pocket AM/FM Radio, Silver
Price: $12.49
105 used & new from $5.99

1,582 of 1,600 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Best 10 bucks I've spent in years!, April 6, 2005
BUY THREE!

I've never written an online review before but his radio is great and is worth the trouble.

I'm a Ham Operator and I restore tube radios for a hobby so I've spent a few hours listening to DX, I know crap, I know hype, and I know a miracle when I trip over one. I started looking around for a pocket radio to keep in my truck because sometimes I would be caught working away from the shop for hours without any news or music. If you're a radio nut you can guess what happened next. A month later, probably twenty hours online and more than a hundred bucks worth of pocket radios and I wasn't happy. I'd had fun and now had some radios handy around the house for "adequate" use (radios & led flashlights, can't have enough!). Even though I had run across this radio online and in reviews I didn't put it on my list of probables, It was just a $10.00 radio and I was limiting myself to vintage radios with discrete transistor designs or new IC designs over $30 or $40 dollars. After all I wanted a "good radio". I was pretty much interested in an analog radio because in this price range digital sets are usually noisey, battery hogs, and plauged by "birdies". Finally, I ordered one of these because "what the heck" ten bucks, if it sucks I'll give it away. When it showed up I plopped in a set of AA's tuned the dial and heard lots of stations, good sign. Any radio that has analog tuning with a dial thats two inches across is a challenge, but thats ok. Low and behold theres KGNC from over 120 miles away and it's 1500hrs(3pm). What the hay! Listen up buyers, This radio is TEN BUCKS and it can hear stations others can't. No one has learned how to put sensitivity, selectivity, and audio into one box this size but this radio is a miracle! Don't get me wrong this is not a Sony 2010 or a GE SRIII, but it's small enough and cheap enough to have one in every room of the house and in each car. And the speaker is good enough that you don't have to use phones. It has a telescoping antenna for FM. Some radios that cost 6X as much don't have a tele. ant., they use the headphone cables. That means even if your using the speaker you have to have the headphones plugged in or the FM stinks. Since this is still a new toy it hasn't yet made it to the glove box in the truck, I'm still playing with it. I live in the Panhadle of Texas and last night I listened to a talk show in Nebraska before bed; woke up and touched the dial and there was a great morning show in San Antonio. If this radio was $70.00 I'd give it 3 or 3.5 stars, for TEN to FOURTEEN dollars it is a true bargain! Some others may review this radio and subtract points because of selectivity or something, remember this radio cost less than a good burger and fries! I've spent thousands of dollars on radios; Collins,Icom,Yaesu,Sony, and others. I have better radios than this one but I've never had anything for >$15.00 that was this good.

Buy two or three, I did.

Jeff
Comment Comments (42) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2014 9:21 AM PST