Profile for D.L. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 75

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

D.L. "generasian" RSS Feed (San Diego, CA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Big Frank Costume - One Size - Chest Size 40-44
Big Frank Costume - One Size - Chest Size 40-44
Offered by Costumekingdom
Price: Click here to see our price
14 used & new from $47.59

3.0 out of 5 stars The mask is nicely painted with excellent detail, October 30, 2014
For the price, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the costume. The mask is nicely painted with excellent detail. As others have mentioned, it's stiff coming out of the package so I suggest stuffing it with towels for about a week until it better fits your head.

Also included are inflatable shoulder pads which takes less than five minutes to inflate if you have the stamina to blow into two separate nozzles on the front and back. You will most likely need another person to help you fit the costume over the pads since your shoulder movements are greatly restricted when it's on. Also included are pants though I find mine to be a little too loose on my 36 inch waist. Unfortunately, there are no belt straps so be prepared to keep hitching them up from time to time. I was happy that the costume included two knee-length green socks since the pants ended at my knees.

The two hands that were included were nice though they pretty much render your fingers useless when they are on since the latex is stiff and not that flexible.

My real issue is the mask. Though it fit my head snugly enough, the area around the eyes kept jabbing into my cheeks which blurred my vision a bit. Also, it can get quite hot as the only holes to breath through are through the nose. Personally, I could not stand wearing it for more than twenty minutes straight without lifting the chin for a gasp of air.

Overall, the costume looks very nice given the price. Just don't expect to be comfortable.

Peter Jackson's King Kong [Download]
Peter Jackson's King Kong [Download]
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Has not aged well..., May 12, 2014
As the reviewer below me has stated, the downloadable version of this game has no Starforce DRM protection, so feel free to get it if you had concerns in the past about it affecting your computer.

I originally bought this game for my Xbox in 2006 and decided to get it again for my PC for nostalgia's-sake. I can see how it was revolutionary at the time with the lack of onscreen prompts such as ammunition counts and a health bar, using only visual and audio cues to get your bearings. Playing as the King himself was an added bonus and his levels occupy about a third of the game.

Unfortunately, by today's standards, the game has not aged very well. Though the environments look fairly nice, they tend to look the same after about the midway point. Your A.I. companions and enemies exhibit clunky and awkward animations. There are 39 chapters in the game, and they last anywhere from 2-20 minutes. Some don't even involve any gameplay. Just walking from one point to another. The Kong levels are the highlight, and there aren't enough of them. It's fun to bash T-Rexes or giant worms, though the camera can be a problem as it's sometimes fixed which sometimes makes you lose perspective while in combat.

For those that have Windows 7 and above, try running the game in compatibility mode under the operating system of Windows XP and you should be able to play the game. After messing with the graphics options through my graphics card, I was able to play the game with hardly any graphical hiccups.

For nostalgia's sake, this game came through for me. If you can get past the dated mechanics and visuals, there is a decent to good game here.

Aliens: Colonial Marines - Xbox 360
Aliens: Colonial Marines - Xbox 360
Offered by Hitgaming Video Games
Price: $12.15
101 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars In space, no one can hear you scream for your money back..., February 14, 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Wow, where do I begin? I had been anticipating this game way back at E3 of last year, when Randy Pitchford, hype man of Gearbox, introduced the first playable demo of Aliens: Colonial Marines. What a difference a year makes. This is bar-none, the worst Xbox 360 game I have ever played. Yes, the graphics are shockingly subpar, the storyline is uninspired, and the animation is clunky. But what really ticks me off is how a game so disturbingly unpolished was even allowed to be released in the first place. Case one is the atrocious amount of screen tearing in the Xbox 360 version of the game. It's everywhere, even in the cut scenes. Case two is the blatant misrepresentation of how this game was going to look and play. ACM is definately not the version of the game I saw in the demo. Whole levels and cut scenes have either been restructered for the worse or ommitted altogether. The creepy ambient lighting that was hyped is practically non-existent, replaced by a dull, gray glow. What's left seems like an early beta version of the game that was scrapped together with a $1.50 budget. I could go on and on about how abysmal this game is, but quite frankly, the reviewers below me have thoroughly done a good job describing this game's faults. So will there be a game that does this property justice? Given this title, it's hard to say considering that this was supposed to be the ultimate Aliens gaming experience. What I can promise is that I will never fall for the hype of an Aliens game until it is released.

Medal of Honor Warfighter - Xbox 360
Medal of Honor Warfighter - Xbox 360
Offered by Galactics
Price: $11.31
166 used & new from $0.51

4.0 out of 5 stars Who cares about multiplayer? I'm playing for the story campaign., October 23, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Call me a fool, but contrary to most, I primarily purchase these first person shooters for the single player experience. I could care less about multiplayer. Sadly, most developers seem to have abandoned the practice of delivering on a solid story for a more robust online experience. However, being the Special Forces afficionado that I am, I felt compelled to pick up this title despite the recent trend these days, especially in a market inundated with shooters.

There were two concerns I had leading up to this game's release. First would it hold up graphically on consoles and would it be light years better than the first title? I can say a resounding YES! to both. When I first saw the gaming footage at E3, my first thought was how impressive the game looked. It was running on a high-end PC which dampered my enthusiasm a bit since I cannot afford a $2000 rig. However, once I popped the disk in my 360 (oh, and make sure you install the HD visual pack) I was completely blown away. Warfighter is bar none the most beautiful game I have ever played on a next-gen console. Everything from the textures to the lighting are top notch and there were some instances where I couldn't believe that a 6 year console could deliver a PC-like performance. My favorite level involves a high speed chase through a busy marketplace in some third-world country. Here the Frostbite 2 engine is put on full display. The level of destruction and mayhem is thrilling as your car barrels through busy street after busy street, desperately trying to catch up with your target, while debris blasts around you. Little details like mud splattering on your windshield and even a chicken pinned to your hood are great touches. Granted, there are some drawbacks. The framerate tends to stutter a bit, especially during cutscenes and the sound cut off from time to time, but it was definately not game-breaking.

One aspect of the original title's marketing push was that the experiences in the game were based off of real life experiences from these mysterious Tier 1 operators. In the end, it seemed more like a gimic as the game was marred by some technical glitches and underwhelming visuals. In Warfighter, I think the developers fully embraced what they should have in the original game. The storyline is more dramatic, yet it tends to take itself too seriously. But most importantly, I was engrossed. However, as par for the course these days, the campaign is not especially long. Expect something along the lines of 5-6 hours, but an enjoyable 5-6 hours.

So for those who are looking for a single-player experience, Warfighter simply delivers. Perhaps, this will give future notice for developers to give as much love to the story campaign as the multiplayer experience. Not likely, but one can hope. Anyways, just wait until you get to that car chase level...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2012 7:29 AM PDT

NCAA Football 13 - Xbox 360
NCAA Football 13 - Xbox 360
Offered by Atomic Gaming
Price: $49.95
50 used & new from $15.00

3.0 out of 5 stars I played this game last year..., July 16, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Me purchasing an annual sports title from EA is about as certain as death and taxes. Regardless of how much I swear off buying future releases due to the flaming pile of disappointment I feel from the current entry, I just can't seem to help it. I need my gaming and sports fix.

When it comes to NCAA football, I don't care much about the bells and whistles that are added to each incarnation so that the developers can claim that they're being innovative. Just give me good gameplay dammit! And as I played my first dynasty game, I couldn't help but feel deflated by halftime. Everything had an almost familiar feel to it-as if I'd never traded in my copy of NCAA 12 and it had magically reappeared in my Xbox360 disc drive. Granted, they've added better tackling and DB/WR animations, but boy oh boy, it just feels too much the same as the previous title. The lone bright spot is the revamped passing mechanic, which gives you total control of the trajectory and the angle of your passes. It took me a little bit to get used to only because I was so used to the same outdated mechanic for years, but it's satisfying to thread a pass between two defenders and know it's totally because of you and not some predermined programming logic.

I have dabbled in the Heisman challenge option which allows you to relive one of a dozen or so past trophy winners from their first game of their greatest college season to their last. Along the way, you can attempt to mirror or exceed their statistics for that year. This is good in concept but poor in execution. For instance, I chose Andre Ware and instead of allowing you the option to play the entire game, you are limited to only when the player is on the field. This is fine, but give us the option to play the whole game otherwise I'm simming half the time. Also, there is no dynamic commentary. They don't give us for example, any background information of the player or the particular game whether it's trivia or statiscs. Instead, it's the same wooden commentary you can hear in the exhibition or dynasty games. Also, the players are way overpowered. There's no way from what I can see that allows you to change the difficulty settings so if you're Barry Sanders, prepare to run as if you're playing Tecmo Bowl, scoring touchdowns or running twenty or more yard runs on almost every play. I did enjoy the interview videos with each Heisman winner that you could unlock after progressing through the season. You get insights on the mindset of each past winner and little tidbits like rivalries and funny stories.

So after playing a dozen or so games just to see if my opinion could be swayed, I instead came away more and more depressed. Playing NCAA used to be a great way to kill a couple of hours for a football fanatic as me, but instead this year's title feels pretty arbitrary and lifeless.

Live Free or Die [HD]
Live Free or Die [HD]
DVD
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The Beginning of the End, July 16, 2012
It's that time again. That overwhelming build up of anticipation can only mean the start of a new season of Breaking Bad. It's hard to believe that it's only been eight months since the season four finale yet every important plot point, every dialogue still remains fresh in my mind. It's a testament to how well written this show is. I've purchased the past four seasons with the season pass from another competitor but have been leaning towards getting season five from Amazon simply due to the poor customer service I've experience with "the other guys" in the past (episodes being 2-3 days late without explanation). For me, the season pass is the way to go. No commercial breaks, HD quality, no space taken up on your DVR, and the accessibilty to watch it on your laptop next to your bed or at the airport. Now if only there was smart phone access...

Henry Poole Is Here
Henry Poole Is Here
DVD ~ Luke Wilson
Offered by newtownvideos
Price: $4.94
166 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Luke Wilson Shines, July 16, 2012
This review is from: Henry Poole Is Here (DVD)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I usually don't like Luke Wilson's acting style. He's usually one-note and that Texas drawl of his puts me to sleep. That being said, I thought he was absolutely fantastic in this movie. Here, he inhabits a character that embodies his strenghts as an actor. Henry Poole is an angry and depressed individual who knows that his time on this earth is short and Wilson really shines in this role. Being agnostic, I was wary that this film would try to push the agenda of religion upon me, yet I felt that this is the kind of movie that can appeal to believers and non-believers alike. Instead, it's about what one believes. The character of Esperanza believes that there is the face of Jesus on Henry's wall. Henry sticks to his guns and thinks it's a bad stucco job. Never does the movie try to sway you in either direction which was quite refreshing. However, I wished this movie could have pulled back on the melodrama and the obvious pulling of the heartstrings. These moments were the only times that I felt manipulated by the film. Overall, good movie to watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon, after church for those who do believe of course.

Loser's Town: A David Spandau Novel
Loser's Town: A David Spandau Novel
by Daniel Depp
113 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Promising debut, July 13, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really liked the banter between the characters in this book. It reminded me a lot of the earlier Elmore Leonard novels I used to read in high school when I could actually afford the time to read fiction and not textbooks. Unfortunately, these characters inhabit a plot that is less compelling as the dialogue. There is barely any forward progress. A large chunk of the novel is devoted to the ins and outs of the Hollywood machine, which I actually found quite fascinating and funny. However, the plot is clearly the supporting actor in this novel rather than the lead. All in all, it's a very promising first effort but I'd be hard-pressed to continue reading this series.

Cold Prey
Cold Prey
DVD ~ Ingrid Bolsř Berdal
Price: $9.01
48 used & new from $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing we've haven't seen before, July 12, 2012
This review is from: Cold Prey (DVD)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For a Norwegian horror/slasher movie, this film bears a striking resemblence to its American counterparts of the same genre. There's the tired, familiar premise of a group of hormonal teenagers who are trapped in an isolated location as they are being stalked by a faceless killer. I'm sorry folks, but I've seen these type of films all before. Story be damned, I'd have to say that the acting is pretty solid, especially by the female lead. I was expecting a low budget film, but it seems as if the the filmakers made the most of what they had and it shows. It's a nice-looking film for sure, however it's a familiar one.

Safer
Safer
by Sean Doolittle
Price: $19.14
125 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining thriller until the end, July 12, 2012
This review is from: Safer (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'd have to say that I was pleasantly surprised after reading the first hundred pages or so of this book given that I had no idea what it was about before I received it. That is, until I reached the end when the book became unnecessarily violent and over the top given that the story was already stretching the bounds of believability.

Paul Callaway is an English professor who just moved into a quaint little neighborhood in Iowa with his wife when he is suddenly charged with a hideous crime that he did not commit. These early moments of the book which detailed Paul's plight as he tries to comprehend his situation are the best parts of the book. Once we are introduced to Roger Mallory, retired cop, full-time control freak and head of the neighborhood watch that the cliched plot mechanizations began to fall predictably into place.

Soon the book began to resemble dozens of other victim vs. psychopath plotlines that I have read all before. Though the book crumbles into a smoldering heap at the end, I'd have to give this book a half-hearted recommendation. It's an easy read, perfect for a few hours on a plane or waiting at the dentist's office. The characterizations for the most part are strong, especially Paul's lawyer who ends up being more capable than he first appears to be. Overall, I think Mr. Doolittle is a talented writer and he seems to have a gift for dialogue. Though I'm giving this book a lukewarm recommendation, I'd be willing to give his other books a try.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8