Profile for K. M. Cross > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

K. M. Cross RSS Feed (Salt Lake City)

The Swerve: How the World Became Modern
The Swerve: How the World Became Modern
by Stephen Greenblatt
Price: $18.14
205 used & new from $1.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Should have started the book half way in, July 21, 2012
After hearing the author on NPR as well as read several articles on this book I was quite excited to finally have the opportunity to sit down and read it. I am an avid reader of history and was looking forward to learning how Lucretius' poem On the Nature of Things helped to influence the modern world. Upon finally sitting down to read it, I had push myself through the first several chapters as we learned of the history of Poggio who is the one who rediscovered the book during a tumultuous time. While I found this interesting, the writing dragged quite a bit and did not pull me in. However, it obviously kept me interested enough to keep going. Once the author finally arrived to the point of Poggio's discovery of On the Nature of Things and began to go through the significance of the poem I could not put it down and read it all the way through. While the author does seem to make some broad generalizations and possible exaggerations on the influence of the poem, I found it quite an enjoyable read. I would recommend to anyone who reads this book though to not look to this as the sole source of information on Lucretius and his works, but rather as more of a pop culture high level view that requires more reading to understand the full breadth of his work.

Drive [HD]
Drive [HD]
DVD
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sleek, Sexy, Dark, Stylish and Violent Genius of a Film, February 12, 2012
This review is from: Drive [HD] (Amazon Instant Video)
A sleek film that already so much has been said about. Heard A LOT of hype while this film was in theaters and was hesitant to give it a shot but boy am I glad I did. It's one of those movies you either have to laugh at the ridiculousness of some of the violence or squirm from squeamishness (I found myself laughing throughout the film).

Ryan Gosling does an excellent job playing a man who "drives", but also does so much more. As others have mentioned Gosling deserves a Best Actor nod for playing a somewhat sociopathic man but ends up displaying selfless behavior for his neighbor and son. His ability to "flip the switch" from mechanic to driver are frighteningly effective in this film, all one needs to see is the elevator scene to realize the capabilities of Gosling in this film. Should have been a best actor nod based on the performances of the other nominees.

Despite other reviewers comments (which I can understand), I personally felt the pace of the film was perfect for the premise of the film and the soundtrack matched. The score should be nominated if it was actually based on how well the film fit the movie. While the non-driving scenes were slower than most modern films, it built the anticipation for the driving and blood and guts scenes. These driving scenes are some of the best since Ronin, French Connection, and Bullitt but so much sexier with the Clippers game in the background, and the music to match. Albert Brooks does a great job in his supporting role and have received a nomination as well.

While this was not a nominee for best picture (and I do not think it should have been), I do think the performances throughout made this one of the more enjoyable films of 2011. So if you are looking for an entertaining, violent, at times disturbing but thoroughly enjoyable film I urge you to watch Drive. It will leave you wanting to ditch your foreign mobile and go for a "real drive".

A Fighter's Heart: One Man's Journey Through the World of Fighting
A Fighter's Heart: One Man's Journey Through the World of Fighting
by Sam Sheridan
Price: $11.96
145 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, December 28, 2008
As a young man trying to become a professional fighter myself, I found Sheridan's journey to be the best book on the sport of MMA that has come out as well as one of the better books that focuses on boxing as well. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has deemed MMA as human cockfighting or anything of that nature. Educate yourself and read this book! While it is biased towards the sport he does deliver the truth as well, stating the fact that there is risk of injury etc.. but also does an excellent job describing the fighter's psyche.