Profile for Lisa B. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Lisa B. RSS Feed

Aquarius Aq15005 Aquarius 5 Rounded 5-Gallon Aquarium Kit
Aquarius Aq15005 Aquarius 5 Rounded 5-Gallon Aquarium Kit
Price: $39.99
4 used & new from $39.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Tank; Good for Additions, May 21, 2013
When my five gallon Aqueon betta-bow tank blew it's light socket, and finding out that the hood and the (crappy) filter weren't available to repurchase I figured that it was time to update my betta to something a little sleeker. I did super extensive research on this tank before I bought it (mostly because I'm a cheapskate and particular to boot) and I can say with certainty, it's worth the twenty-five bucks and free Amazon shipping. It is, however, not a perfect tank in the slightest, though with the proper prep it could be.

I knew that the LED lights weren't sealed well and were nigh irreplaceable, so from the beginning I bought some good aquarium safe silicone sealant to seal all the little cracks and crevices that I knew water would get into. Hopefully this will extend the life of these lights drastically. And considering all the condensation I get on my hood from my tank, since I keep it a toasty 80F, I couldn't have skipped this step. Secondly I knew that a large batch of these tanks didn't come with a Mini Might filter but a BioStream, and the BioStream filter sucks, to put it plainly. I ordered a completely different, and far superior filter to replace it from the get-go, a Marina s10 HOB. (This filter is awesome, by the way. The media can be totally customizable, though the inserts are fairly nice too. I use AquaClear 20 Bio rings, prebagged Purigen 100mL, and a cut up filter sponge.) Also, this tank really isn't five gallons. With a thin layer of gravel and decorations I got maybe four and a quarter gallons into the tank with an inch to spare. (Best to keep an inch from the rim as the lights sink down and will end up square in the water if one isn't careful.) The little cut out tabs in the back ARE hard to punch out, but that's why the instructions say to use side snip pliers, which I did. It works perfectly if done the correct way, as the plastic is nicely pliable. The two cut outs are big enough to fit my HOB, digital thermometer, airtube, and heater cord with no problems at all.

Despite all these issues, I like the product. It's sleek on my desk and although the "panaview" description is a little off, the rounded corners can help with looking into the tank from sides other than just the front. The hood is black and "hinged", allowing it to be taken completely off though to still swing upwards for easy maintenance/feeding/whatever. The LED lights, although kind of cheap, are still nice. A little too dim for most plants, but for my Marimo it's doing just fantastic. (It's also good to note that betta fish don't like particularly bright light either, even if you do.) Once my tank establishes a little more I plan on adding anacharis and anubias to my little set up.

If you're looking for a Fluval level nano tank, this isn't for you. If you're happy going a little extra mile to make it pretty nice, I highly recommend it. As it came, I only sort of liked this tank. As it is now, I love it.

Seachem StressGuard 250ml
Seachem StressGuard 250ml
Offered by etopso
Price: $7.59
16 used & new from $6.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my Betta, May 6, 2013
This review is from: Seachem StressGuard 250ml (Misc.)
Well I really like Seachem products and ever since I found about them I've been a firm believer in Purigen and Prime. My red veil tail betta had gotten sick and no matter what I tried, salt or frequent water changes or even proper medication and Bettafix was anything working. I was getting pretty desperate and when I heard about the properties of StressGuard I was quick to try it.

So it comes in and the first day I double the dose since apparently it's perfectly safe to do so and impossible to overdose with. Lo and behold my fish decides to come out of hiding. I had almost forgotten I had a fish in the past month. Each day and each new does along with fresh water saw such drastic improvement... I was sold immediately. Now not even a few weeks after our brush with death my betta is happy and healthy and I fully believe this product had a big part to do with it. It will become a further part of my my Seachem arsenal.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2013 9:33 PM PDT

SODIAL(TM) Digital LCD Fish Aquarium Marine Vivarium Thermometer -50C to 70 C
SODIAL(TM) Digital LCD Fish Aquarium Marine Vivarium Thermometer -50C to 70 C
Offered by Cyberkin
Price: $5.95
7 used & new from $2.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Accurate, April 30, 2013
Well I chose this digital thermometer because of it's cheapness and the need to replace an old crappy strip thermeter that was little better than a mood ring for heat. The thing is great. It's small and unobtrusive once my betta decided he didn't have to flare every time he saw it. It tracks the temperature accurately and as far as I can tell updates every thirty or so seconds. I've only had it for a little less than a month but it works swimmingly and should it ever break it's cheap enough that I would just replace it.

Hikari Usa Inc AHK19110 Betta Biogold 0.70-Ounce
Hikari Usa Inc AHK19110 Betta Biogold 0.70-Ounce
Price: $7.50
24 used & new from $3.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Pellets, April 30, 2013
My red veil tail male betta refused all other pellet food before this. I had to feed him messy flakes or bloodworms and wanted something that would be a little more well rounded and cleaner. Well these things are like betta crack. It's said that it takes a full week for a betta fish to recognize a new food but he wolfed down every single pellet on the very first feeding. I'd heard some great things about Biogold and needless to say I am fully impressed. The pellet is much smaller than any other I've run across and floats well. It doesn't get bogged down with water so quickly like the others and swell to twice their normal size.

Also worth noting is the package. It seals unlike the smaller version of Biogold and that little spout is amazing. Pour too much in your hand and just put the extra back into the package. No waste. The amount of food will probably last as long as your fish will live, if not even longer than that.

A couple reviews on here say that Hikari was now adding MSG to their pellets but a quick check of the ingredients shows it is not present. If it was they've since changed it. Another complaint was that wheat flour was the main ingredient. Again the main ingredient is now fish meal. I see nothing wrong with feeding my fish the formula Hikari now uses.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Case, March 10, 2013
This case is great, and just like several of the other "stand" cases you can find on Amazon. Those however are at least $15 bucks, which is a good deal more than what this Nanum case is, for the exact same thing. The color is fantastic, and so different from most cases you see on tablets. The stand is functional and more than useful and the sleep/wake feature works like a charm. (It does have a magnet, despite what the description says.) Some other reviewers complained than you have to snap out the bottom half of the tablet to use the stand function, but I don't find this a problem at all. If you are a super klutz and knock things out of your hand/bed/desk/etc. this could be a problem, but I haven't had any issue or worries with it. When I want a stand it functions great, and when I fold it back up it is plenty protective for some average wear and tear. I don't need Otterbox protection on my tablet at all times, though some may. All in all, this case was very much worth the money, and if it ever breaks (only from my misuse I imagine) then I will happily buy a replacement.

Beautiful Green and Blue Murano Glass Bead Charm Fits Pandora Bracelet
Beautiful Green and Blue Murano Glass Bead Charm Fits Pandora Bracelet
Offered by Beads Hunter
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, March 10, 2013
This bead arrived in just two days with Free Super Saver Shipping (which is amazing) and looks wonderful. The colors on the picture are very true to life and it looks just as brilliant as a $40 Chamilia bead on the same bracelet. Definitely a steal and I would recommend it to anyone.

Sterling Silver Howling Wolf Dangle Bead Charm
Sterling Silver Howling Wolf Dangle Bead Charm
Offered by LGU INTERNATIONAL
Price: $24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and fast, February 11, 2013
The charm is gorgeous and so much prettier than the picture. Its so hard to find a good looking wolf European bead and this was easily the best option out there. With standard shipping it arrived in just two days after the shipping date! Being sterling silver and good quality and fast shipping it is well worth the money. Needless to say I love it and my partner will too.

The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia
The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia
by Akira Himekawa
Price: $19.71
162 used & new from $13.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Poor Shipping but Great Book, February 2, 2013
Well I had this preordered and it was shipped right on time and arrived in two days even though I chose standard shipping. So it was super fast which is perfect because it arrived in time for my partners birthday.

The book itself is gorgeous, all green leather and gold lettering. The content is superb, absolutely perfect for the Zelda fanatic. I couldn't be happier with the buy.

Word of caution though to the shipping. It is shipped flat in a box with little to no protection. As a result the corners of the book are bent and dinged which was quite the disappointment and the reason I'm knocking one star off. The shipping really needs to be improved.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2013 11:20 PM PST

Mother's day Gift .925 Sterling Silver Love Heart Flower Bead Charm For European Charm Bracelets
Offered by Queenberry Inc
Price: $12.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Bead, November 26, 2012
I was really wanting to buy a Pandora/European bead bracelet for my partner and after buying the bracelet I was left with the burden of choosing beads. I saw this one and fell in love immediately. It looks even more lovely than the picture and both sides are decorated, the sterling silver stamp clearly visible along the plain edge. It's not too large, from what I see it's a good bit smaller than a standard Pandora bead, but it would make a great accent between larger beads. On top of that, I received the item nearly five days before it's projected delivery date! It is a lovely bead and well worth the money.