Profile for Radio Man > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 56

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Radio Man "yarns13" RSS Feed (NY, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
VXi BlueParrott® Reveal Industry Leading 90% Noise-cancelling Headset
VXi BlueParrott® Reveal Industry Leading 90% Noise-cancelling Headset
Offered by VXi BlueParrott
Price: $119.99
2 used & new from $119.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Great, April 3, 2015
I am in sales and I use my phone and Bluetooth headset constantly during the day as I travel to see many customers thru-out the day. Like many I have tried just about every Bluetooth out there. Plantronics Voyager, Jabra Supreme, Blue Ant..even high end stuff like etymotics. My best bluetooth devices were always from VXI by FAR!! The famous Blueparrot 250 and I even bought the 350. Still though I drive a car, not a truck, so those were a bit overkill and just not THAT comfortable all day as they are large and heavy well compared to the smaller in ear types of bluetooth headsets. Long story short I was so impressed with my older Blueparrot I had hoped VXI put a blueparrot in a much smaller in ear unit such as the reveal. The good news is seems they mostly succeeded. People I speak to hear me VERY clearly and just like the larger VXIs, seems they have noise cancellation WELL under control, yet my voice is crystal clear to callers I have been told, WAY better than Plantronics, and Jabra. On the receiving end calls sound very clear and SLIGHTLY louder than my Voyager and Jabra Supreme but not night and day louder OR clearer. The bluetooth is nice looking...battery life seems really good and again most importantly for me, sound quality borders on superb. I took one star off because no matter what ear gel I used..even with the supplied ear hook(s) this Reveal feels sort of loose or floppy in my ear. MAY just be I have odd sized ears..:) but had the fit been a little more secure, I'd give this Reveal a SOLID 5 stars. It doesn't actually fall out of my ear but just doesn't feel secure and it bothers me. Could be it may fit you JUST fine and the weight and all makes it feel very comfortable..even though mine feels just a bit too loose. Overall I highly recommend this Bluetooth and just may be your favorite one yet...just hope it fits your ear a bit more snug than it fits my ear..
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2015 6:55 AM PDT

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Mirrorless Digital Camera
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Mirrorless Digital Camera
Offered by RitzCamera
Price: $897.99
20 used & new from $404.66

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best cameras I have ever had!!, February 19, 2015
I have owned this GM5 for well over 6 weeks. I wanted to wait a while before I wrote a review so I would not be writing like an excited little kid. Often people, including myself review an item too quickly. Later some of the negatives may start to bug you, but the review you posted may already be a rave, and not really true. Well then, in this case I have had plenty of time to put the GM5 thru various situations and the more I use it, the more I like it. I REALLY wanted a take with you everywhere camera, BUT I did not want an RX100III which I had because I always felt the IQ was a big compromise. That said, I also owned the LX100 for a while thinking IT may be the small camera I always wanted. NO, I found images mostly too mushy and color was always off, especially skin tones had to battle with raw just to get colors right in nearly every picture. :( Interesting that both the LX100 and GM5 are both Panasonics but the color output on the GM5 is NOTHING like the LX100 which was JUST off..UNLESS I somehow had a bad copy. As to Micro Four Thirds I have owned my share of cameras such as the EM5 and even the EM1 which I eventually sold to get into Full Frame. Well then, having owned the EM1, to my eyes the IQ on this GM5 is every bit as good as the EM1 was. Thing is who needs a smaller sensor if you are going to stick in a camera like an EM1 which is just about as large as my Full Frame Sony A7II. I am not knocking the EM1!!, it is a beautiful camera in every way..rocket fast built like a tank everything about it was fast, fluid, fast BUT it was LARGE. So think of the GM5 as an EM1 that shrunk down about 50% well sort of. The GM5 is plenty quick and I have found auto focus to be very accurate and very quick, though not as fast as the EM1 but really good. The tiny evf IS small, but makes a world of difference to me vs holding your camera out like a smartphone trying to frame your shots on an lcd screen that often will be washed out from the sun. Specifically to me, the IQ on this GM5 is like, amazing! The fact that it IS so tiny time after time, once I check my sd card on my computer I am blown away that this TINY camera has such great IQ. By the way I usually prefer shooting with a prime lens. BUT this TINY kit zoom that comes with the GM5 is just crazy GREAT. It is sharp at all focal lengths..and the optical image stabilization is quite AMAZING there's that word again. I can frequently get tack sharp pictures at just about 1/5 of a second over and over. That said, then you no need reach for crazy high isos. I'd say the high iso is just about the same as the EM1 guess you can check that D X...well YOU know site. I find dynamic range to be excellent..even better than what it's supposed to be. The pictures you get from the GM5 are just in another league from the Sony RX100's of the world as I had two models the original and the III. I am not too proud to not use a touch screen, think of it as just another tool, Works great here on the GM5 and all I can say is this camera just constantly amazes me. Should a roofer not use a hammer JUST because it may be helpful? Well a good touchscreen can be of help sometimes too..just another useful tool and works well on this GM5. I have owned WAY too many cameras but this guy is a true keeper for what it is. WHICH is, a VERY small take with you camera that will yield GREAT IQ and it can be your only camera, OR can certainly compliment a dslr or any mirrorless camera out there. I often bring it with me along side of my A7II. What a great little camera it's worth the money, it's unique.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2015 6:30 PM PDT

Sadapter 999765-SNCA Nano SIM to Micro SIM Card Adapter - Retail Packaging - Gray
Offered by Saapni
Price: $12.50
5 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It JUST works!, February 19, 2015
Very simple, it works as described. The sim card fits like a tight glove. I am able to switch EASILY from my Windows Phone Nokia 1520 to my Galaxy Note 4 with this adapter in the Note 4 with NO problems. Seems well made for something so tiny. Simply..it WORKS.

OXO Good Grips Pro Y-Peeler
OXO Good Grips Pro Y-Peeler
Price: $12.95
15 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I am reviewing a peeler??, November 7, 2014
This will be quick. I'm not one to review something as simple as a peeler BUT this thing is SO much better than the peeler it replaced..a Rachel Ray, I just had to say something. It literally can peel 5-10 times faster and easier than a typical peeler. Looks like it's built to last..my wife loves it. May cost a couple more dollars than some other peelers..but it's just SO well made and comfortable to use. Great peeler!

Galaxy Note 4 Case, i-Blason [Scratch Resistant] Halo Series Hybrid Clear Case / Cover with TPU Bumper for Samsung Galaxy Note 4 [SM-N910S / SM-N910C] (Clear)
Offered by i-BLASON
Price: $9.99
5 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great clear case for the Note 4, November 7, 2014
After ordering a similar see thru clear rubbery type plastic case from another manufacturer and it DIDN'T fit right, I was a bit nervous that THIS i-Blason would have the same problems. By problems..my first case looked nice, but the plastic covering over the volume controls rendered the volume controls useless, as you could not really use the up/down motion of the Note 4 Volume controls.
Long story short THAT case is now going to sit in a drawer as IT is useless. The -Blason case here is JUST about perfect! Every cutout, hole, everything lines up perfectly with my Note 4 and MAY even make the phone a little better looking.:) No issues now with the volume controls..this case has two raised parts of plastic covering the volume control rocker switch..anyway it's PERFECT. I suppose this KIND of case is not THE most protective in the world, but it should protect the phone from lots of scratches and unintentional dings. Also the back part of the case has 4 TINY raised corners you won't even notice..but seems will raise the Note JUST enough, that the camera lens WILL be protected from hitting a surface though by only a millimeter or so, but it's good! I have the T-Mobile Note 4...and the only ALMOST negative thing I have to say is, one of the holes that covers one of the tiny microphone openings on the bottom of the phone JUST, JUST clears the tiny hole in the phone, the mic. BUT it does COMPLETELY clear it so no issue..but a tad off center. I GUESS this is why so many people here say it fits a Verizon Note 4 just fine because I think the mic holes on the phone are SLIGHTLY in a different area on the T-Mobile and Verizon model. None the less the case is darn near perfect..very happy with the case.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2014 7:50 PM PST

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Case, [REVISED] J&D [Shock Resistant] Note 4 Case [Soft Bumper] Slim Protective Premium Jelly Case for Note 4 (Matte)
Offered by J&D Tech
Price: $24.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been great, November 7, 2014
This case was exactly what I was looking for, for my new Galaxy Note 4 phone. A very thin, see thru,sort of rubbery case...just enough protection in case of a tiny drop of the phone.It won't protect the phone if you drop it 6 feet onto a sidewalk..well maybe it would.

The case looks nice, seems to offer enough protection FOR this sort of thin type minimal case. Thing is I could not use it, as the plastic that covers the volume buttons renders the volume up/down pretty much useless. From the pictures I thought maybe there were cut outs where the volume buttons were. Instead you get one raised piece of plastic...but in my case I could not raise or lower the volume. Seller was great in that they shipped so quickly, It think well intentioned,well packaged..inexpensive, but the case is useless for me as I could no longer adjust the volume levels with the case on. I bought a similar case next day from I-Blason and it's very similar to THIS case but every cut out AND volume controls on the phone work perfectly...oh well so this case did not work for me.

Panasonic LUMIX LX100 12.8 MP Point and Shoot Camera with Integrated Leica DC Lens (Black)
Price: $797.99
38 used & new from $638.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a GREAT take with you anywhere camera but..., November 4, 2014
I recently owned the Sony RX100III so I know a little about BOTH of these cameras.

Actually when my lx100 arrived I actually thought it was smaller, than what I thought it might be. The thing is the lens while the LX100 is off, protrudes a bit similar to an RX1 and the EVF protrudes just a little in the back of the camera too, so that's where the larger size vs the rx100 mostly comes into play. The actual body is rather small, so in my opinion this IS a very easy camera to take with you nearly anywhere. I'd never put an $800 camera IN a tight pocket, for that I'd use my darn cell phone. Anyway enough about size.

I won't write a long book here I'll try and get to the major points.

The IQ of the LX100 ABSOLUTELY beats the rx100III if IQ is your main requirement. Handling again goes to the LX100 vs the Sony, and the auto focus seems to be more accurate on the Panasonic as well, vs the Sony. As to the lens...you can get beautiful SMOOTH silky Bokeh out of this LX100. The RX100III's bokeh if you could get any, was rather rough. The LX100'S IQ just looks more in the ballpark of say an EM1 or GX7 where the Sony's IQ was really good..but just never anything THAT great.
That said, I feel the Sony's lens seemed to be a bit sharper corner to corner and to me skin tones look better on the Sony as well.
Using raw I found the LX100 to have a lot more latitude in dynamic range than the RX100 and colors are actually really GOOD just not Fuji great..or hate to say it..as of late Sony great..In my opinion.:)

I struggled a bit at first with the menu on the lx100, seems every time I customized a button etc..soon as I turned it off then on again my settings were lost. Be sure to use one of the Custom settings available, I believe thee are three, C1, C2, and C3..So you can have three different custom setups which is really nice.

As to higher ISO it's no contest the LX100 will Kill the Sony, again I have files from both cameras. I had a GX7 way back and not sure why, seems the LX100 can do better high iso retaining lots of detail and less noise than even the GX7 had.

Now to the MEH part. The camera takes really nice pictures..but it's not nearly as sharp as say a Ricoh GR which I owned, nor can it's IQ equal an x100s etc. BUT it's a much more versatile camera than either of those...and I think that is key here. Versatility. Yikes how many times have written VERSATILE and I'm not done. :)

You get a camera with VERY good IQ, a very fast lens as to aperture, generally sharp lens at all focal lengths. The camera feels great in the hand, and feels very solid and well made. The EVF is really good..as is the lcd (too bad it doesn't articulate) somehow that does not bother me though. For me this LX100 is as easy to take just about anywhere as the RX100III, but I feel you will consistently get better overall IQ, battery life also seems excellent. Depends on your wallet, this COULD be your ONLY camera..but to me the LX100 seems more well suited as a second camera to maybe a better mirror-less camera or a good DSLR that's just too big and you DON'T want to use it as it's too bulky. Honestly I think this camera would be a steal if it were priced more around $699 but the lens must be very expensive to make and the body and controls are quite good..so this camera just may be the most "versatile" SMALL camera you can buy these days. One thing that may bother you? Soon as you turn the camera on the lens will extend out about 5-6 inches roughly..then zoom internally. I mention that as maybe for street photography for example, an RX100 is a much less conspicuous camera than an LX100 with a 6 inch lens barrel sticking out oh well. BUT,If it's really good IQ you are after and versatility, again with that word?? I can't see anyone NOT liking this camera.

UPDATE: I've now owned this LX100 now for about two weeks and I just updated it to 5 stars from 4. The IQ is actually even better than I thought..dynamic range has been GREAT a pleasant surprise I was not expecting. I spent one day with this LX100 and my Sony A7S together in a beautiful Arboretum here in NY. Lots of leaves changing color, Old Mansions, fine detail in some old brick buildings there, all that good stuff. The LX100 was a great camera to have with me vs my A7S that has a large heavy 70-200mm zoom glued to it as of late. Point being the LX100 was a great compliment to my larger Full Frame camera, but I was surprised at JUST how great the IQ was from this Panasonic. Again having owned the RX100III, to me this LX100 is just in another class ABOVE the small Sony. This camera is really growing on me, wasn't expecting that. :)
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2014 6:29 AM PST

TomTom GO 500 Portable Vehicle GPS
TomTom GO 500 Portable Vehicle GPS
Price: $154.63
24 used & new from $100.51

2.0 out of 5 stars Let's wave goodbye to TomTom...too bad!, June 14, 2014
I will start this by saying I am in sales and use my gps all day every day as I see many customers all over the place..well in my case Long Island NY. I write that because I am not the type to use a gps for example to just go to a store or something easy on the weekend..I use my gps 5-6 hours a day, every day. So, like many people I have previously owned several Garmins..even a couple Magellan's. Maybe my all time favorite GPS was actually the TomTom 2535. I hated how it was rather buggy, would freeze up..haha may take 4 hours for my computer to recognize it BUT as far as GPS goes..the routing is fantastic...the traffic was GREAT "when it worked". Along side of my 2525 I had the top of the line Garmin 3590 I think the model is/was BUT Garmin's 3d traffic is basically useless...and time after time I felt the TomTom 2535 had the best routing that made sense PLUS the hd traffic was great AGAIN "when it wanted to work". Sorry so fast forward....

The 2535 is rather old now. I hate having to pay for live traffic and maps every year and the processor is so SLOW.. So finally I was very happy TomTom released the new GO500 and I guess GO600. I wanted the latest and greatest and as I say I prefer TomTom over Garmin GPS for what GPS is SUPPOSED to do...get you from point A to Point B in a way that makes sense and the quickest way possible.

I bought the GO500 and first thing I notice is it's just sort of plasticky. The build quality is not as good as my TomTom2535. I turn it on and the screen is not nearly as vibrant as the 2535. Ok, but all that aside comes the horror. Someone at Tomtom must have decided people want THE most simple gps they can make..so the GO500 is like a SUPER DUMBED DOWN 2535.

By Dumbed down I mean there are so many less features. Something as small as you want to see the exact roads the gps has decided on, from where you are to your destination. Well you can't KNOW this anymore. you CAN enlarge the map so much so you can trace the route to see what roads the gps is going to choose for you..but C'MON that's so stupid and counter intuitive. Ok, but I was willing to live with that.

Then I see you can no longer import your saved favorites from many of the older TomToms SUCH as the 2535. So now I have to re bookmark in my case, over 120 customers and places. With GARMIN you simply copy /paste what they call a .gpx file..rename it, BAM you have all your old favorites from an older device. So strike 2 here. As to traffic..well we know with the GO500 you need use your smartphone's data plan. I can't complain about this cause I knew I would need do this. That said, my cell phone plan was not compatible with tethering or data sharing. I had to up my cell phone plan which resulted in an extra $20 a month just so I could share data with the GO500. When the GO500 actually connected to my phone I will say, traffic was excellent. But many times I had to try multiple times to get my HTC ONE M8 to connect to the GO 500. Actually they connected quickly but the data connection may take 3-5 tries. I guess strike 3 or is it strike 4..

I find out the GO500 can only hold 96 favorites THEY call My Places...What?? I have over 120 customers and growing....this GO500 is just so limited!!!!. As far as finding popular POIS, often they simply were not in the unit. Voice control works, but not too well...I had to scream at the darn GPS like a mental patient :), often for it to recognize my voice commands. I dunno...I just HATED this GPS it seems like a GPS made in 1998 or something... Plasticky...dull screen, dumbed down....hated it!! I am not a basher of products t I just HATED this gps it seems like a BETA version or something EARLY beta,...and now after my traffic subscription will expire on my TomTom 2535 I think I may say goodbye to TomTom period. I picked up the newish Garmin 3597 and it's like a Rolls Royce, vs this GO500 which would equal a 10 year old VW Beetle. Anyway this was my experience here, I hate to write such a negative review I was actually a TomTom fan...but this GPS in my opinion is a piece of..junk..SORRY to say!
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 7, 2014 8:05 AM PDT

SF Cable, 2 Prong Right Angle Plug Adapter, USA IEC 60320-C7 receptacle to NEMA 1-15P
Offered by SFCABLE
Price: $10.95
3 used & new from $2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLE and GREAT, May 8, 2014
What can I say...this will turn a Fuji type charger with a long cord into a very compact case just like a small Sony Charger etc. Simply this little plug is awesome..does what it is supposed to. Will convert a charger with a long cord needed, into a very compact small charger..great for travel. A must have accessory for chargers which require a long wire...if you want a very compact charger.

Cimo [SLIM GRIP] HTC One M8 Case Premium Flexible TPU Cover for The All New HTC One / HTC One 2 / HTC One 2014 (2014) - Frosted Clear
Offered by Cimo Technologies
Price: $9.93
2 used & new from $6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Liked this case MUCH more than I thought I would, May 8, 2014
I recently bought the HTC One M8. I thought I don't want any case..cause I just hate cell phone cases. I use my phone constantly each day as I use it for business. Well as luck would have it, I got super busy and somehow my M8 fell out of my hand....Bam, hit the floor. I was so dragged about this as I was babying it. Somehow it just ended up with two tiny tiny scratches that are barely visible...WHEW! When I got home I said to myself..well I better buy a case as I sure don't want to smash up my new M8 which I like so much! I read a bunch of reviews...I mostly wanted as slim a case as I could get, but definitely wanted a see thru case so I could still see the beauty of the M8. I could not decide between this Cimo case OR a different case...a Spigen clear case...which was a bit more rubbery but TOTALLY clear while Cimo has a little bit of a frosted look though I'd say 90% clear. When both cases arrived I decided to use the Spigen cause I liked the fact it was 100% clear. But after a few days the bulk of the Spigen began to bother me even though it's not THAT bulky..it was also too rubbery sticky. I decided after about 3 days to try the Cimo case. Wow, right away I loved the feel of the case...just the right amount of grip and made my phone MUCH slimmer than the Spigen case. All cut outs are PERFECT! I actually like the way the clear frosted case looks on my silver M8. I think it looks great...you can still see the phone body very clearly..just with a tad of frosted white mixed in.. Long story short I think this Cimo case is GREAT, I actually like the way the phone feels with he case vs without it. If you are gonna drop the phone from your roof this case will not offer ultimate protection..but for most small accidents..I would think this VERY slim case will protect your M8 while adding it seems, ZERO bulk...yet retaining the beauty of the HTC. I highly recommend this case!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6