Profile for Radio Man > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 53

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Radio Man "yarns13" RSS Feed (NY, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
OXO Good Grips Pro Y-Peeler
OXO Good Grips Pro Y-Peeler
Price: $12.95
14 used & new from $9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I am reviewing a peeler??, November 7, 2014
This will be quick. I'm not one to review something as simple as a peeler BUT this thing is SO much better than the peeler it replaced..a Rachel Ray, I just had to say something. It literally can peel 5-10 times faster and easier than a typical peeler. Looks like it's built to last..my wife loves it. May cost a couple more dollars than some other peelers..but it's just SO well made and comfortable to use. Great peeler!

Galaxy Note 4 Case, i-Blason [Scratch Resistant] Halo Series Hybrid Clear Case / Cover with TPU Bumper for Samsung Galaxy Note 4 [SM-N910S / SM-N910C] (Clear)
Offered by i-BLASON
Price: $14.99
4 used & new from $11.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Great clear case for the Note 4, November 7, 2014
After ordering a similar see thru clear rubbery type plastic case from another manufacturer and it DIDN'T fit right, I was a bit nervous that THIS i-Blason would have the same problems. By problems..my first case looked nice, but the plastic covering over the volume controls rendered the volume controls useless, as you could not really use the up/down motion of the Note 4 Volume controls.
Long story short THAT case is now going to sit in a drawer as IT is useless. The -Blason case here is JUST about perfect! Every cutout, hole, everything lines up perfectly with my Note 4 and MAY even make the phone a little better looking.:) No issues now with the volume controls..this case has two raised parts of plastic covering the volume control rocker switch..anyway it's PERFECT. I suppose this KIND of case is not THE most protective in the world, but it should protect the phone from lots of scratches and unintentional dings. Also the back part of the case has 4 TINY raised corners you won't even notice..but seems will raise the Note JUST enough, that the camera lens WILL be protected from hitting a surface though by only a millimeter or so, but it's good! I have the T-Mobile Note 4...and the only ALMOST negative thing I have to say is, one of the holes that covers one of the tiny microphone openings on the bottom of the phone JUST, JUST clears the tiny hole in the phone, the mic. BUT it does COMPLETELY clear it so no issue..but a tad off center. I GUESS this is why so many people here say it fits a Verizon Note 4 just fine because I think the mic holes on the phone are SLIGHTLY in a different area on the T-Mobile and Verizon model. None the less the case is darn near perfect..very happy with the case.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2014 7:50 PM PST

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Case, J&D Ultra Slim Fit [Jelly Cushion] Note 4 Case [Ultra Slim] [Thin Fit] Protective Premium Jelly Case Slim Case for Note 4 (Jelly Clear)

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been great, November 7, 2014
This case was exactly what I was looking for, for my new Galaxy Note 4 phone. A very thin, see thru,sort of rubbery case...just enough protection in case of a tiny drop of the phone.It won't protect the phone if you drop it 6 feet onto a sidewalk..well maybe it would.

The case looks nice, seems to offer enough protection FOR this sort of thin type minimal case. Thing is I could not use it, as the plastic that covers the volume buttons renders the volume up/down pretty much useless. From the pictures I thought maybe there were cut outs where the volume buttons were. Instead you get one raised piece of plastic...but in my case I could not raise or lower the volume. Seller was great in that they shipped so quickly, It think well intentioned,well packaged..inexpensive, but the case is useless for me as I could no longer adjust the volume levels with the case on. I bought a similar case next day from I-Blason and it's very similar to THIS case but every cut out AND volume controls on the phone work perfectly...oh well so this case did not work for me.

Panasonic LUMIX LX100 16.8 MP Point and Shoot Camera with Integrated Leica DC Lens (Black)
Offered by RitzCamera
Price: $897.99
11 used & new from $836.07

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a GREAT take with you anywhere camera but..., November 4, 2014
I recently owned the Sony RX100III so I know a little about BOTH of these cameras.

Actually when my lx100 arrived I actually thought it was smaller, than what I thought it might be. The thing is the lens while the LX100 is off, protrudes a bit similar to an RX1 and the EVF protrudes just a little in the back of the camera too, so that's where the larger size vs the rx100 mostly comes into play. The actual body is rather small, so in my opinion this IS a very easy camera to take with you nearly anywhere. I'd never put an $800 camera IN a tight pocket, for that I'd use my darn cell phone. Anyway enough about size.

I won't write a long book here I'll try and get to the major points.

The IQ of the LX100 ABSOLUTELY beats the rx100III if IQ is your main requirement. Handling again goes to the LX100 vs the Sony, and the auto focus seems to be more accurate on the Panasonic as well, vs the Sony. As to the lens...you can get beautiful SMOOTH silky Bokeh out of this LX100. The RX100III's bokeh if you could get any, was rather rough. The LX100'S IQ just looks more in the ballpark of say an EM1 or GX7 where the Sony's IQ was really good..but just never anything THAT great.
That said, I feel the Sony's lens seemed to be a bit sharper corner to corner and to me skin tones look better on the Sony as well.
Using raw I found the LX100 to have a lot more latitude in dynamic range than the RX100 and colors are actually really GOOD just not Fuji great..or hate to say it..as of late Sony great..In my opinion.:)

I struggled a bit at first with the menu on the lx100, seems every time I customized a button etc..soon as I turned it off then on again my settings were lost. Be sure to use one of the Custom settings available, I believe thee are three, C1, C2, and C3..So you can have three different custom setups which is really nice.

As to higher ISO it's no contest the LX100 will Kill the Sony, again I have files from both cameras. I had a GX7 way back and not sure why, seems the LX100 can do better high iso retaining lots of detail and less noise than even the GX7 had.

Now to the MEH part. The camera takes really nice pictures..but it's not nearly as sharp as say a Ricoh GR which I owned, nor can it's IQ equal an x100s etc. BUT it's a much more versatile camera than either of those...and I think that is key here. Versatility. Yikes how many times have written VERSATILE and I'm not done. :)

You get a camera with VERY good IQ, a very fast lens as to aperture, generally sharp lens at all focal lengths. The camera feels great in the hand, and feels very solid and well made. The EVF is really good..as is the lcd (too bad it doesn't articulate) somehow that does not bother me though. For me this LX100 is as easy to take just about anywhere as the RX100III, but I feel you will consistently get better overall IQ, battery life also seems excellent. Depends on your wallet, this COULD be your ONLY camera..but to me the LX100 seems more well suited as a second camera to maybe a better mirror-less camera or a good DSLR that's just too big and you DON'T want to use it as it's too bulky. Honestly I think this camera would be a steal if it were priced more around $699 but the lens must be very expensive to make and the body and controls are quite good..so this camera just may be the most "versatile" SMALL camera you can buy these days. One thing that may bother you? Soon as you turn the camera on the lens will extend out about 5-6 inches roughly..then zoom internally. I mention that as maybe for street photography for example, an RX100 is a much less conspicuous camera than an LX100 with a 6 inch lens barrel sticking out oh well. BUT,If it's really good IQ you are after and versatility, again with that word?? I can't see anyone NOT liking this camera.

UPDATE: I've now owned this LX100 now for about two weeks and I just updated it to 5 stars from 4. The IQ is actually even better than I thought..dynamic range has been GREAT a pleasant surprise I was not expecting. I spent one day with this LX100 and my Sony A7S together in a beautiful Arboretum here in NY. Lots of leaves changing color, Old Mansions, fine detail in some old brick buildings there, all that good stuff. The LX100 was a great camera to have with me vs my A7S that has a large heavy 70-200mm zoom glued to it as of late. Point being the LX100 was a great compliment to my larger Full Frame camera, but I was surprised at JUST how great the IQ was from this Panasonic. Again having owned the RX100III, to me this LX100 is just in another class ABOVE the small Sony. This camera is really growing on me, wasn't expecting that. :)
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2014 8:05 PM PST

TomTom GO 500 Portable Vehicle GPS
TomTom GO 500 Portable Vehicle GPS
Price: $149.99
29 used & new from $95.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Let's wave goodbye to TomTom...too bad!, June 14, 2014
I will start this by saying I am in sales and use my gps all day every day as I see many customers all over the place..well in my case Long Island NY. I write that because I am not the type to use a gps for example to just go to a store or something easy on the weekend..I use my gps 5-6 hours a day, every day. So, like many people I have previously owned several Garmins..even a couple Magellan's. Maybe my all time favorite GPS was actually the TomTom 2535. I hated how it was rather buggy, would freeze up..haha may take 4 hours for my computer to recognize it BUT as far as GPS goes..the routing is fantastic...the traffic was GREAT "when it worked". Along side of my 2525 I had the top of the line Garmin 3590 I think the model is/was BUT Garmin's 3d traffic is basically useless...and time after time I felt the TomTom 2535 had the best routing that made sense PLUS the hd traffic was great AGAIN "when it wanted to work". Sorry so fast forward....

The 2535 is rather old now. I hate having to pay for live traffic and maps every year and the processor is so SLOW.. So finally I was very happy TomTom released the new GO500 and I guess GO600. I wanted the latest and greatest and as I say I prefer TomTom over Garmin GPS for what GPS is SUPPOSED to do...get you from point A to Point B in a way that makes sense and the quickest way possible.

I bought the GO500 and first thing I notice is it's just sort of plasticky. The build quality is not as good as my TomTom2535. I turn it on and the screen is not nearly as vibrant as the 2535. Ok, but all that aside comes the horror. Someone at Tomtom must have decided people want THE most simple gps they can make..so the GO500 is like a SUPER DUMBED DOWN 2535.

By Dumbed down I mean there are so many less features. Something as small as you want to see the exact roads the gps has decided on, from where you are to your destination. Well you can't KNOW this anymore. you CAN enlarge the map so much so you can trace the route to see what roads the gps is going to choose for you..but C'MON that's so stupid and counter intuitive. Ok, but I was willing to live with that.

Then I see you can no longer import your saved favorites from many of the older TomToms SUCH as the 2535. So now I have to re bookmark in my case, over 120 customers and places. With GARMIN you simply copy /paste what they call a .gpx file..rename it, BAM you have all your old favorites from an older device. So strike 2 here. As to traffic..well we know with the GO500 you need use your smartphone's data plan. I can't complain about this cause I knew I would need do this. That said, my cell phone plan was not compatible with tethering or data sharing. I had to up my cell phone plan which resulted in an extra $20 a month just so I could share data with the GO500. When the GO500 actually connected to my phone I will say, traffic was excellent. But many times I had to try multiple times to get my HTC ONE M8 to connect to the GO 500. Actually they connected quickly but the data connection may take 3-5 tries. I guess strike 3 or is it strike 4..

I find out the GO500 can only hold 96 favorites THEY call My Places...What?? I have over 120 customers and growing....this GO500 is just so limited!!!!. As far as finding popular POIS, often they simply were not in the unit. Voice control works, but not too well...I had to scream at the darn GPS like a mental patient :), often for it to recognize my voice commands. I dunno...I just HATED this GPS it seems like a GPS made in 1998 or something... Plasticky...dull screen, dumbed down....hated it!! I am not a basher of products t I just HATED this gps it seems like a BETA version or something EARLY beta,...and now after my traffic subscription will expire on my TomTom 2535 I think I may say goodbye to TomTom period. I picked up the newish Garmin 3597 and it's like a Rolls Royce, vs this GO500 which would equal a 10 year old VW Beetle. Anyway this was my experience here, I hate to write such a negative review I was actually a TomTom fan...but this GPS in my opinion is a piece of..junk..SORRY to say!
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 7, 2014 8:05 AM PDT

SF Cable, 2 Prong Right Angle Plug Adapter, USA IEC 60320-C7 receptacle to NEMA 1-15P
Offered by SFCABLE
Price: $3.25

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLE and GREAT, May 8, 2014
What can I say...this will turn a Fuji type charger with a long cord into a very compact case just like a small Sony Charger etc. Simply this little plug is awesome..does what it is supposed to. Will convert a charger with a long cord needed, into a very compact small charger..great for travel. A must have accessory for chargers which require a long wire...if you want a very compact charger.

Cimo [SLIM GRIP] HTC One M8 Case Premium Flexible TPU Cover for The All New HTC One / HTC One 2 / HTC One 2014 (2014) - Frosted Clear
Offered by Cimo Technologies
Price: $9.93
2 used & new from $6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Liked this case MUCH more than I thought I would, May 8, 2014
I recently bought the HTC One M8. I thought I don't want any case..cause I just hate cell phone cases. I use my phone constantly each day as I use it for business. Well as luck would have it, I got super busy and somehow my M8 fell out of my hand....Bam, hit the floor. I was so dragged about this as I was babying it. Somehow it just ended up with two tiny tiny scratches that are barely visible...WHEW! When I got home I said to myself..well I better buy a case as I sure don't want to smash up my new M8 which I like so much! I read a bunch of reviews...I mostly wanted as slim a case as I could get, but definitely wanted a see thru case so I could still see the beauty of the M8. I could not decide between this Cimo case OR a different case...a Spigen clear case...which was a bit more rubbery but TOTALLY clear while Cimo has a little bit of a frosted look though I'd say 90% clear. When both cases arrived I decided to use the Spigen cause I liked the fact it was 100% clear. But after a few days the bulk of the Spigen began to bother me even though it's not THAT bulky..it was also too rubbery sticky. I decided after about 3 days to try the Cimo case. Wow, right away I loved the feel of the case...just the right amount of grip and made my phone MUCH slimmer than the Spigen case. All cut outs are PERFECT! I actually like the way the clear frosted case looks on my silver M8. I think it looks great...you can still see the phone body very clearly..just with a tad of frosted white mixed in.. Long story short I think this Cimo case is GREAT, I actually like the way the phone feels with he case vs without it. If you are gonna drop the phone from your roof this case will not offer ultimate protection..but for most small accidents..I would think this VERY slim case will protect your M8 while adding it seems, ZERO bulk...yet retaining the beauty of the HTC. I highly recommend this case!!

Accutire MS-4021B Digital Tire Pressure Gauge
Accutire MS-4021B Digital Tire Pressure Gauge
Price: $12.83
8 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!!, December 16, 2013
This is about the best thing I have purchased in years. I can never go back to those pen gauges where you can barely read a thing.
Fantastic gauge..I plan on buying another for my wife as well.. Just great!

Olympus VF-2 Electronic ViewFinder (Black)
Olympus VF-2 Electronic ViewFinder (Black)
Offered by Midwest Photo Exchange- MPEX
5 used & new from $155.00

3.0 out of 5 stars MEH!, December 16, 2013
This will be very short and to the point.
I owned the Leica X Vario. I bought this evf to use with the Leica as I heard the much more expensive Leica evf was exactly the same evf just way more expensive. It seems well made, but everything looked awful as to color and sharpness while using with the X Vario. It may be this evf is just not fully compatible with the Leica..if so, three stars may not be fair. If what I saw is the way this evf really works it's close to terrible. It was so bad I actually returned my X Vario cause I couldn't stand looking thru this evf. Again if it's a Leica compatibility issue here, perhaps you can disregard my opinion here..

Vivitar NP-FW50 Rapid Travel Charger for SONY Alpha A7, A7R, A3000, NEX-7, NEX-6, NEX-5N, NEX-5R, NEX-5, NEX-F3, NEX-3N, NEX-C3, NEX-3, Cyber-Shot DSC-RX10, SLT A55, A37, A35, A33 + MagicFiber Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth
Price: $10.58
3 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price point vs it's quality, December 16, 2013
This Vivitar charger seems well made overall. The Sony NP-FW50 fits into it like a glove. There are two side clips that hold the battery very securely. Made in China like most everything these days but seems well made.

I bought this from an Amazon seller named Digital GOJA and they shipped this rocket quick and it's refreshing, I got exactly what was promised, all new and factory sealed. For the price you can't beat this charger, it works and works well!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6