Profile for Radio Man > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 49

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Radio Man "yarns13" RSS Feed (NY, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
TomTom GO 500 Portable Vehicle GPS
TomTom GO 500 Portable Vehicle GPS
Price: $249.99
14 used & new from $204.42

2.0 out of 5 stars Let's wave goodbye to TomTom...too bad!, June 14, 2014
I will start this by saying I am in sales and use my gps all day every day as I see many customers all over the place..well in my case Long Island NY. I write that because I am not the type to use a gps for example to just go to a store or something easy on the weekend..I use my gps 5-6 hours a day, every day. So, like many people I have previously owned several Garmins..even a couple Magellan's. Maybe my all time favorite GPS was actually the TomTom 2535. I hated how it was rather buggy, would freeze up..haha may take 4 hours for my computer to recognize it BUT as far as GPS goes..the routing is fantastic...the traffic was GREAT "when it worked". Along side of my 2525 I had the top of the line Garmin 3590 I think the model is/was BUT Garmin's 3d traffic is basically useless...and time after time I felt the TomTom 2535 had the best routing that made sense PLUS the hd traffic was great AGAIN "when it wanted to work". Sorry so fast forward....

The 2535 is rather old now. I hate having to pay for live traffic and maps every year and the processor is so SLOW.. So finally I was very happy TomTom released the new GO500 and I guess GO600. I wanted the latest and greatest and as I say I prefer TomTom over Garmin GPS for what GPS is SUPPOSED to do...get you from point A to Point B in a way that makes sense and the quickest way possible.

I bought the GO500 and first thing I notice is it's just sort of plasticky. The build quality is not as good as my TomTom2535. I turn it on and the screen is not nearly as vibrant as the 2535. Ok, but all that aside comes the horror. Someone at Tomtom must have decided people want THE most simple gps they can make..so the GO500 is like a SUPER DUMBED DOWN 2535.

By Dumbed down I mean there are so many less features. Something as small as you want to see the exact roads the gps has decided on, from where you are to your destination. Well you can't KNOW this anymore. you CAN enlarge the map so much so you can trace the route to see what roads the gps is going to choose for you..but C'MON that's so stupid and counter intuitive. Ok, but I was willing to live with that.

Then I see you can no longer import your saved favorites from many of the older TomToms SUCH as the 2535. So now I have to re bookmark in my case, over 120 customers and places. With GARMIN you simply copy /paste what they call a .gpx file..rename it, BAM you have all your old favorites from an older device. So strike 2 here. As to traffic..well we know with the GO500 you need use your smartphone's data plan. I can't complain about this cause I knew I would need do this. That said, my cell phone plan was not compatible with tethering or data sharing. I had to up my cell phone plan which resulted in an extra $20 a month just so I could share data with the GO500. When the GO500 actually connected to my phone I will say, traffic was excellent. But many times I had to try multiple times to get my HTC ONE M8 to connect to the GO 500. Actually they connected quickly but the data connection may take 3-5 tries. I guess strike 3 or is it strike 4..

I find out the GO500 can only hold 96 favorites THEY call My Places...What?? I have over 120 customers and growing....this GO500 is just so limited!!!!. As far as finding popular POIS, often they simply were not in the unit. Voice control works, but not too well...I had to scream at the darn GPS like a mental patient :), often for it to recognize my voice commands. I dunno...I just HATED this GPS it seems like a GPS made in 1998 or something... Plasticky...dull screen, dumbed down....hated it!! I am not a basher of products t I just HATED this gps it seems like a BETA version or something EARLY beta,...and now after my traffic subscription will expire on my TomTom 2535 I think I may say goodbye to TomTom period. I picked up the newish Garmin 3597 and it's like a Rolls Royce, vs this GO500 which would equal a 10 year old VW Beetle. Anyway this was my experience here, I hate to write such a negative review I was actually a TomTom fan...but this GPS in my opinion is a piece of..junk..SORRY to say!
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 7, 2014 8:05 AM PDT

SF Cable, 2 Prong Right Angle Plug Adapter, USA IEC 60320-C7 receptacle to NEMA 1-15P
Offered by SFCABLE
Price: $5.95

5.0 out of 5 stars SIMPLE and GREAT, May 8, 2014
What can I say...this will turn a Fuji type charger with a long cord into a very compact case just like a small Sony Charger etc. Simply this little plug is awesome..does what it is supposed to. Will convert a charger with a long cord needed, into a very compact small charger..great for travel. A must have accessory for chargers which require a long wire...if you want a very compact charger.

Cimo [SLIM GRIP] HTC One M8 Case Premium Flexible TPU Cover for The All New HTC One / HTC One 2 / HTC One 2014 (2014) - Frosted Clear
Offered by Cimo Technologies
Price: $9.93
2 used & new from $6.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Liked this case MUCH more than I thought I would, May 8, 2014
I recently bought the HTC One M8. I thought I don't want any case..cause I just hate cell phone cases. I use my phone constantly each day as I use it for business. Well as luck would have it, I got super busy and somehow my M8 fell out of my hand....Bam, hit the floor. I was so dragged about this as I was babying it. Somehow it just ended up with two tiny tiny scratches that are barely visible...WHEW! When I got home I said to myself..well I better buy a case as I sure don't want to smash up my new M8 which I like so much! I read a bunch of reviews...I mostly wanted as slim a case as I could get, but definitely wanted a see thru case so I could still see the beauty of the M8. I could not decide between this Cimo case OR a different case...a Spigen clear case...which was a bit more rubbery but TOTALLY clear while Cimo has a little bit of a frosted look though I'd say 90% clear. When both cases arrived I decided to use the Spigen cause I liked the fact it was 100% clear. But after a few days the bulk of the Spigen began to bother me even though it's not THAT bulky..it was also too rubbery sticky. I decided after about 3 days to try the Cimo case. Wow, right away I loved the feel of the case...just the right amount of grip and made my phone MUCH slimmer than the Spigen case. All cut outs are PERFECT! I actually like the way the clear frosted case looks on my silver M8. I think it looks great...you can still see the phone body very clearly..just with a tad of frosted white mixed in.. Long story short I think this Cimo case is GREAT, I actually like the way the phone feels with he case vs without it. If you are gonna drop the phone from your roof this case will not offer ultimate protection..but for most small accidents..I would think this VERY slim case will protect your M8 while adding it seems, ZERO bulk...yet retaining the beauty of the HTC. I highly recommend this case!!

Accutire MS-4021B Digital Tire Pressure Gauge
Accutire MS-4021B Digital Tire Pressure Gauge
Price: $11.65
8 used & new from $10.87

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!!, December 16, 2013
This is about the best thing I have purchased in years. I can never go back to those pen gauges where you can barely read a thing.
Fantastic gauge..I plan on buying another for my wife as well.. Just great!

Olympus VF-2 Electronic ViewFinder (Black)
Olympus VF-2 Electronic ViewFinder (Black)
6 used & new from $189.00

3.0 out of 5 stars MEH!, December 16, 2013
This will be very short and to the point.
I owned the Leica X Vario. I bought this evf to use with the Leica as I heard the much more expensive Leica evf was exactly the same evf just way more expensive. It seems well made, but everything looked awful as to color and sharpness while using with the X Vario. It may be this evf is just not fully compatible with the Leica..if so, three stars may not be fair. If what I saw is the way this evf really works it's close to terrible. It was so bad I actually returned my X Vario cause I couldn't stand looking thru this evf. Again if it's a Leica compatibility issue here, perhaps you can disregard my opinion here..

Vivitar NP-FW50 Rapid Travel Charger for SONY Alpha A7, A7R, A3000, NEX-7, NEX-6, NEX-5N, NEX-5R, NEX-5, NEX-F3, NEX-3N, NEX-C3, NEX-3, Cyber-Shot DSC-RX10, SLT A55, A37, A35, A33 + MagicFiber Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth
Offered by Digital Goja
Price: $8.99
3 used & new from $8.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price point vs it's quality, December 16, 2013
This Vivitar charger seems well made overall. The Sony NP-FW50 fits into it like a glove. There are two side clips that hold the battery very securely. Made in China like most everything these days but seems well made.

I bought this from an Amazon seller named Digital GOJA and they shipped this rocket quick and it's refreshing, I got exactly what was promised, all new and factory sealed. For the price you can't beat this charger, it works and works well!

Premium Tech PT-59 Compact Battery Charger for Sony NP-FW50
Premium Tech PT-59 Compact Battery Charger for Sony NP-FW50
Offered by SaveOn Digital
Price: $8.50
8 used & new from $3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great BUT who actually makes this?, December 14, 2013
I ordered this Premium Tech-59. What I got was a different charger, but works great. I dunno brand says X-photo or something like that. So..since I thought I got a total no name I ordered another charger for the Sony NP-FW50 this time supposed to be a Vivitar, at least that is a brand name. Moral of the story is the Vivitar is a clone of the X-Photo which I assume? Is same as this Premium Tech...
I think thre MAY be one aftermarket company in China making THESE and then the various brands just stamp their name on these chargers..my guess. Anyway my Premium Tech XPhoto seems to work great..just not sure if I even got a Premium Tech.,.buyer beware

Sony a7R Full-Frame 36.4 MP Interchangeable Digital Lens Camera - Body Only
Sony a7R Full-Frame 36.4 MP Interchangeable Digital Lens Camera - Body Only
Price: Click here to see our price
40 used & new from $1,100.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A7R vs A7 vs RX1R vs EM-1..., December 13, 2013
I recently sold my Sony RX1R in order to afford this Sony A7R. I love photography but am also a bit of a gear head. :) Hence I have owned all these cameras and still have the EM1.
I say that cause there are so many good to great mirror-less cameras out there now you almost can't choose a bad one..it will come down to which one best fits your needs. I actually LOVED my RX1R but hated having to use the external evf, and it was a bit awkward to hold, a bit slippery as it has no real grip. As to IQ with the 35mm FE lens it has been my experience in good to semi dim light the A7R has more pop and 3d and WOW factor to photos than did my RX1R. The A7R DEFINITELY focuses much faster than the RX1s and so for me has been more accurate too, as to auto focus even in lower light...less hunting if any. I generally use auto with manual assist..in that way you just CAN'T miss a shot with this A7R. Though DXo says otherwise, it SEEMS to me THOUGH, the RX1s had slightly better high iso as far as noise goes. BUT if you re-size down a bit with this A7R it has a very nice tight grain in low light and high iso...mostly any grain that was there even if you didn't post process the noise out, all but vanishes once you re-size to a more manageable file size instead of looking at a 36meg file at 100%. The A7R just feels much better in the hand than the rx1 does and obviously you won't be stuck with JUST 35mm, "my main reason for trading up to the A7R vs the RX1R." One other thing, a slight negative here, is that the jpeg engine at higher isos even with Noise Reduction set to low will really mush up your photos. I felt the RX1 processed jpegs better as to NOISE NOT as to color though. If you are spending this much on a camera though, you are going to be shooting raw..or jpeg plus raw..so the jpegs you may get at high ios are not an issue. At lower isos and in fairly good light I have gotten some drop dead gorgeous jpeg files from this A7R by the way..

I had purchased the A7 first...and it's a fine camera TOO but it's output just didn't WOW me as the A7R does, it's just THAT simple, and why I wanted something just a LITTLE bit better as to DETAIL and POP in the IQ..I felt my RX1R's IQ bested the A7 ever so slightly. As to the famous loud shutter noises on these A7's maybe its just me but I actually prefer the feel and sound of the A7R over the A7. The A7's shutter to ME sounded almost like some sort of metal scraping sound...A7R sounds like a camera, and it's shutter actually feels very smooth and fluid. I have read many reviews stating one reason to choose the A7 OVER the A7R is that with the 36 megapixels, you will need use very high shutter speeds and or a tripod to avoid camera shake. I'm not sure why but I actually have had LESS camera shake at shutter speeds as low as 1/25/1/30 on the A7R, Better than the A7, weird. In my case I can almost always get tack sharp photos if I stick to 1/60 or 1/80/ shutter on this A7R in low light. Too bad the Sony doesn't have image stabilization in the body such as the 5 axis in the EM-1. Which brings me to that camera.

I still own the EM-1 and it's a great, GREAT, GREAT camera, I'd say with a tad better build quality OVER the A7's but it's pretty close. If you need rocket fast auto focus the EM1 can't be beat.Obviously there's already a TON of great M/4 glass another win for the EM1 if you want to use auto focus at least,..I have a few primes and that GREAT 12-40 2.8 Oly ZOOM. Because the 5 axis image stabilization is so GOOD, you can get sharp picture after picture at shutter speeds of just 1/5 sometimes lower on EM1. So NO, the EM1 can't touch the A7R on high ISOS not even close, but you don't NEED to go anywhere near the high isos you will need to on the A7R cause you will need to use the faster shutter speeds on A7R in low light.

"But at the end of the day on the overall..pictures from the A7R will just have SO much more dynamic range, will be so much richer with more pop than the EM1 "in my opinion". So if your ultimate goal is the VERY best jaw dropping photos you can keep..to me the A7R is just in another league than the EM1 great as it is.NOT as well rounded though, Em1 is VERY good re: IQ...A7R is drop dead WOW as to IQ if you get it all right. One last thing vs EM1 you MAY just get more keepers though WITH the EM1 than the A7R so again it all depends upon your needs.

For me I am strictly talking about THE BEST photo quality and DETAIL when all is right and for that "in my opinion" as I have had all these cameras here the A7R is my GO TO camera if I want a photo that will blow me away Forever. I didn't go into all the features here on the A7R cause if you are reading this you probably already know WHAT it can do as to features. My purpose here was to just really rate the picture quality (IQ) vs RX1, A7, and EM1 and for me, and even just about every Pro review out there as to PURE IQ the A7R in my case at least is THE best camera I have ever owned..and you may find you will agree with this if you get one. Keep in mind there is no ONE perfect camera for EVERY need, my review is JUST about the end result...the PHOTO, when all is right I think this A7R is the camera to beat right now...and BTW overall colors are GREAT including very natural skin tones. HIGHLY recommended!!!

Samsung NX300 20.3MP CMOS Smart WiFi Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 20-50mm Lens and 3.3" AMOLED Touch Screen (White)
4 used & new from $425.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than a Nex,? Maybe.., April 24, 2013
This Samsung NX300 is a great little camera. Seems many of the pros or semi pro photographers haven't talked much about this camera YET. Might be because admittedly, Samsung up till this point was not exactly held in the same company as a Sony Nex or Canon, Nikon, Fuji..etc. Well..seems to me, Samsung is becoming a player here or soon will be, in my OPINION. I formed this opinion as I presently own TOO many cameras :)..among them being the Fuji X100S, Sony RX1, had a Nex7..had an EM5. Anyway my crazy camera buying habits aside I am able to compare all these cameras. More specifically, what I love about the Samsung is it's incredible accurate color. Skin tones look GREAT as does grass, foliage, anything etc..Looks on my screen EXACTLY as colors look in real life..of course making sure White Balance is correct. It's auto WB by the is among the best I have seen so far in all the cameras I mentioned prior btw, in many different lighting conditions. Of course you can choose custom WB if you are in difficult lighting. One thing that is not great, but not too bad are it's write times to the sd card vs ready for next shot or to preview the picture. It's NOT slow at all..but probably a little slower than the Nex cameras and my x100s..but again NOT bad, just not a rocket.
One plus here vs any Nex I have used..this NX300 lets you choose incremental iso. If you may not know what that means..all Nex cameras can only MANUALLY do iso 200/400/800/1600/3200 and so on..This Samsung like most BETTER cameras, DSLRS, etc. you can choose in-between isos be it 640...or 2000. That may sound like not much, but consider the fact MAYBE all you need is iso 2000...on a Nex your only choice will be to jump to iso 3200 if 1600 is not enough...so you simply have MORE control here..and potentially lower iso noise than a Nex because of this silly little SHOULD have feature. :)

Apparently this really does have a brand new sensor despite it being the same exact pixel count as the older NX cameras. I find it's iso to be rather useable up to about 2500 even 3200. That said there is one huge flaw with this camera, Noise reduction kicks in way too much on isos above 400 or low light, and it's a shame because shooting raw you will see the higher isos on this camera are really really great, low noise..with very tight grain..once it starts to creep in. Book short I'd put the high iso capability to be just a notch or TWO better than the EM5 and a notch below the X100S as far as noise goes..again I'm talking about raw. Jpegs look AWESOME in good light but yes..NR is too aggressive once iso gets kicked up..I hope they will fix that in a firmware update. Oddly the Samsung DOES let you control the NR levels but not till you reach 6400 iso..so 3200, 1600 iso etc..you are stuck with aggressive NR..The jpeg noise reduction is just about my only complaint.

The lcd looks great MOST of the time...BUT in very strong sunshine I have to say it can get a little difficult to see detail on the display and a bit difficult to see your menu settings. :( I have deducted one star because as I say SOMETIMES you can't see what's going on too well on the display, in most light though like 90% of the time the display is rather good and useable. Of course a built in evf would be nice but this is not bad at all OVERALL. The touch screen is more than a gimmick, you can really get around the menus very fast. I should say I did end up buying the 30mm pancake lens..2.0 aperture. It does make a world of difference vs the kit lens..mine came with the 12-50mm lens..not bad, but just so so. With the pancake lens this Samsung really shines in low light..great bokeh, almost no purple fringing..really great lens.well that's another review. :)

The focus accuracy and overall speed are above average. I like you can reduce or enlarge the focus box...same like on the Fuji. The camera is not quite OMD fast but maybe about as fast or faster than the x100s, faster and more accurate than my Nex 7 was. For those of you that don't have Light Room it comes with it, so the software is great obviously. That said LR 4.4 actually is not working correctly with the NX300 raws. I upgraded to LR 5.0 and it's just PERFECT...I believe this is a known issue..raws have some weird magenta thing going on with LR4 but it's fixed now with LR5...not to worry.

With the pancake lens this camera really is pocket-able....yes a large pocket but it fits, REALLY. I can't say that about any Nex's...unless you buy the badly reviewed 16mm Sony pancake lens. The dynamic range seems to be above average for this type of camera..it's almost difficult to blow highlights..the EM5 will blow highlights much faster than this Samsung will.

On the overall considering it's low price..this Samsung is a FANTASTIC little camera. I have NOT used any of the wifi or 3d gadgetry OR video..I don't do video on my cameras. I suppose if the wifi and 3D options are important to you that just puts this camera even in a better position to meet or beat any Nex out there. Again I haven't shot any video so I can't comment on it. "I do miss having a built in evf or even the fact you can't GET an evf for this camera"..that's a real shame. But on the overall...even if you take away it's great price, this Samsung is ready to do battle with pretty much any mirrorless camera out there..again EXCEPT you might want to shoot raw, if you are using higher ISO due to it's too aggressive high iso JPEG Noise Reduction. Overall..this is a great camera and I'm surprised how much I am enjoying it. DEFINITELY worth a good hard look vs the competition..again in my opinion.. and NO it's no RX1 but it's about $2,000 less and it's not THAT far away vs the RX1 in picture quality once you pop a better lens on this thing! This is a fantastic little camera..it will surprise you!
Comment Comments (17) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2014 1:24 PM PDT

Rachael Ray Porcelain Enamel Nonstick 10-Piece Cookware Set, Yellow
Rachael Ray Porcelain Enamel Nonstick 10-Piece Cookware Set, Yellow

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, very attractive cookware., January 17, 2013
I am not the cook of the house so I'll make this review short. I have bought much more expensive, even what is called pro-cookware in the past. These Rachel Rays are the first pots and pans that offer TRUE nonstick ala like any infomercial where you may see eggs actually sliding off the surface using NO oil. As small as that is, I am blown away with how great the non stick surfaces work. The cookware is very attractive...I'd say medium weight. Not so thin where you feel they are going to bend easily if you bang them around a bit, YET Very comfortable to hold vs the heavy pro? pots and pans that are so cumbersome to lift, even to clean. The color and painted surfaces are really nice...so far have been rather durable...no fading etc. When a couple pots got some minor stains on them I could not get out..just used a small amount of Bon-Ami (That stuff is amazing) Stains came right out..color on the pots remained perfect. All in all my wife loves this set of cookware and I am constantly impressed whenever I make eggs on the frying pan as they TRULY need NO oil at all and will never stick. I guess there may be more durable cookware out there for THE VERY long term, but for every day use, for the price, and if you care about style..this set of cookware is really GREAT!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5