Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Retro Toys Deal
Profile for Mick Guitar > Reviews

Mick Guitar's Profile

Customer Reviews: 29

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mick Guitar RSS Feed (Superior, CO United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
8pc Optix Break-resistant Restaurant-quality Plastic 26-ounce Iced Tea Cup Tumblers in 4 Assorted Colors
Offered by U.S. Acrylic, LLC
Price: $19.99
6 used & new from $16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars These are beautiful, vivid colors, May 27, 2015
These are beautiful, vivid colors. The size is good, the shape is comfortable to hold, and they seem sturdy enough (I wouldn't put them in the dishwasher, but I would never put any plastic drinkware in the dishwasher). For the price (which works out to a mere $2.50 per glass), these are an excellent buy.

The Endless River (CD+Blu-ray Casebook Edition)
The Endless River (CD+Blu-ray Casebook Edition)
Price: $28.55
63 used & new from $16.55

5.0 out of 5 stars It's spelled "Gilmour", November 17, 2014
I loved this album. But please, please -- all you fans out there, why do SO many people spell his name "Gilmore"? Why???

Genesis Revisited: Live at Hammersmith
Genesis Revisited: Live at Hammersmith
Price: $27.99
48 used & new from $21.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo, Steve!, November 2, 2013
Steve Hackett is a true hero in my eyes - not only is he a superb, world-class guitarist spanning many genres, but he has done something which I consider to be of incredible importance -- he has kept alive the amazing, vibrant music of the bygone era (and unfortunately, very maligned and misunderstood by many) of 70's progressive rock. When the average kid today thinks of the 70's, they probably think of disco, and bubble-gum pop. But it was also the heyday of bands such as Genesis, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Yes, ELP, and so many others. And Hackett was there, and helped to create this wonderful repertoire of music - and today, he is staying true to his muse, and showing modern audiences just how amazing some of this music really was (and, sadly, how unbelievably far contemporary music has drifted away from this gold standard, in terms of musicality, originality, virtuosity, and composition). Bravo, Steve -- the world will truly lose something irreplaceable after you are gone (which, I hope, is not for a LONG time!).

Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 (1PC/1User) [Download]
Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013 (1PC/1User) [Download]
Price: $139.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Only 1 PC? Dealbreaker. Goodbye, Microsoft., May 1, 2013
What an idiotic step for Microsoft to take. I was going to buy Office 2013 - no more. If they change the policy back to allow multiple simultaneous installs, MAYBE. But as it is now? No way.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
DVD ~ Martin Freeman

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT LOTR (and I don't mean that in a good way), December 24, 2012
I'll keep it brief (unlike Peter Jackson did). WAY too much filler! Scenes that could/should have been 1 or 2 minutes stretched into 10 or more. The pacing is so slow that I found myself proverbially "counting ceiling tiles" in the theater. LOTR was an epic story in 3 books, and it deserved the full-trilogy treatment. The Hobbit is NOT en epic story (it's just a bunch of dwarves that get kicked out of their home by a nasty dragon, and then try to get back in again). This is NOT the stuff of epic trilogies, and making it so results in an endless, moves-like-molasses yawn-fest. Getting past this basic problem, the movie is also relatively grotesque to watch -- it's like a cross between "Time Bandits", "Shrek", and "Pirates of the Caribbean" - with the worst elements taken from each. BIG disappointment, after how much I loved the LOTR trilogy. If you remember the empty feeling after seeing "The Phantom Menace", AFTER having seen the 3 original Star Wars movies, you have a pretty good idea what to expect here. I won't be returning for episodes 2 and 3.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 20, 2013 9:46 PM PDT

Genesis Revisited II
Genesis Revisited II
Price: $14.88
33 used & new from $12.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Let me explain why only 4 stars..., November 16, 2012
This review is from: Genesis Revisited II (Audio CD)
I have to start by saying I'm a huge Hackett fan, and consider him to be one of the finest guitarists alive, particularly because of his amazing versatility (world-class classical technique, plus killer rock chops, plus amazing songwriting and arranging abilities). SO - why only 4 stars? It's beacuse I found these remakes to be "too" perfect -- that is, they are for the most part note-for-note replications of the originals. This produces a strangely 3-sided effect: 1) it makes you marvel at how GOOD this music inherently is, as music; 2) it makes you marvel at how he could have accomplished this feat (getting all the tones right, the parts right, the layering/mix right); and 3) It makes you yearn for some kind of "new spin" -- why go to all this trouble just to so-closely duplicate these performances, when there is so much "meat" to the music itself, which would have allowed him so much freedom of expression for new arrangements? This is really a dilemma for me -- on the one hand, Bravo Steve!! But on the other hand, WHY didn't he take this opportunity to breathe some fresh air into the music? The attention to detail is astonishing (in "Ripples" for example, as the song is fading out, there's that memorable syncopated drum toms fill that leads back to the downbeat - a tiny detail, but he remembered to include it). It's awesome - but, it begs for Steve to have used his amazing virtuosity to make the songs - say - 10% different -- keep the core sound, but add new textures or arranging ideas.

The only true criticism I'd make is the last track, "Shadow of the Hierophant". Maybe it's just me, but wow is the tempo fast on this one! If it had been a new/different arrangement, then the faster tempo wouldn't have been a problem, because then "the whole thing" would have been different. But the arrangement is identical to the original, yet noticably faster -- this is jarring, and "wrong"-sounding. But I'm nitpicking -- the album is great - it just could have been a little greater. I will say this -- on the day that Steve Hackett is gone, the world will be a hell of a less interesting place.

Super 8
Super 8
DVD ~ Elle Fanning
Price: $5.00
178 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Spielberg film history, all in one place..., June 11, 2011
This review is from: Super 8 (DVD)
I should start by saying I really did like this movie, basically because I like Steven Spielberg movies in general. But after a while it started looking like a "who's who" of his past (albeit great) films, and a big part of the enjoyment became trying to spot the next "cameo" by a previous scene, plot device, or character. We have the "clever-kids-who-know-way-more-than-the-clueless-adults" of just about every Spielberg movie ever made (ET comes most to mind, for obvious reasons); we have Chief Brody from Jaws (a Sheriff's Deputy this time instead of a Chief of Police, and Lillian, Ohio instead of Amity Island, but you get the idea); we have vehicles driving down a dark, star-covered road in the middle of nowhere when mysteriously all the power goes out (Richard Dreyfuss in Close Encounters, anyone?); we have a baddie/villain/whatever-it-is that we see more and more of as the film progresses (Jaws again); we have dinner-table scenes with kids behaving more wild and out-of-control than any reasonable parent would ever let their kids behave (Close Encounters, again?); and I won't give any spoilers, but suffice to say that the film concludes in a very true-to-form Spielbergian mode. And let's not forget the 2 inescapable contributions by JJ Abrams -- excessive and intrusive lens flares everywhere you turn (Star Trek?), and the moody (and beautiful) music by Michael Giacchino (L O S T). But I did like it -- very fun way to spend a summer Saturday afternoon

Out of the Tunnel's Mouth
Out of the Tunnel's Mouth
15 used & new from $15.70

5.0 out of 5 stars The world is better because Steve Hackett is in it., September 16, 2010
I just got this CD yesterday, and honestly have only had a chance to track through about 2/3 of it. But I can already tell -- this is another Steve masterpiece. My favorite track so far is "Emerald and Ash" -- one of the most elegant songs (including a great title) about love and betrayal that I've ever come across. And it's not just in the lyrics -- it's in the arrangement itself: it starts with a beautiful, romantic intro, which then leads to the fisrt few verses of wonderful, double-edged lyrics. Then comes a powerful, angular electric instrumental section that rips to the core of "you betrayed me, you b$%^&tch!!" -- and then, the coolest thing, is that it once again ends with the hopeful, romantic theme from the beginning -- an optimist at heart! (and don't get me started on the exquisitely played and recorded 12-string part by Ant!). I don't pretend to know the Kim/Steve story, but how any woman could have walked out on a genius of this calibre is beyond imagining. Hackett is one of the last surviving progressive innovators of a vanishing generation. His instrumental chops just keep getting better, as do his songwriting and arranging skills. I've loved his work from "Nursery Cryme" onwards, and marvel at the breadth of his solo works over the years. As far as I'm concerned, he has only one fault (unfortunately, it's a BIG one): he seems to be blissfully unaware that there's a continent called America, where musicians actually tour, on occasion...!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2014 4:40 PM PDT

Emotion & Commotion
Emotion & Commotion
Price: $10.69
85 used & new from $0.50

5.0 out of 5 stars There are few "perfect" things in life. This is one of them, June 21, 2010
This review is from: Emotion & Commotion (Audio CD)
I'm a guitarist -- and a pretty decent one, or so people tell me. And for reasons that I'll never know, in my 35+ years of playing, I've never paid any attention whatsoever to Jeff Beck. Huge fan of Blackmmore, Clapton, Gilmour, Hendrix, Howe, Hackett, Satriani, McLaughlin, Page -- the list goes on. But for some incomprehensible reason, I've consistently ignored Beck's music -- until now. I bought this album on the strength of reviews I'd read (and the fact that Beck appeared on the cover of Guitar Player a few weeks ago, forcing me to at least look at him, and read about his music). I have tracked through this gem of a recording 3 or 4 times so far -- always from end to end, always without interruption. It is, in my opinion, one of the most perfect and astonishingly moving collections of music I've ever heard. It moves me to tears -- not just because of the beauty (and, in places, ferocity) of the music, but because of the simple, crushing realization that I will never, ever, play the guitar like Jeff Beck can. I can emulate many, if not all, of the above named guitar heroes quite well. I can play very fast, and very slowly. But I will never, ever, come even close to being able to coax the sheer musical expression out of a single note the way Beck does -- and this makes me amazingly sad, and yet thankful for having been privileged to hear him do it. The man is amazing, and this collection, ranging from tender to spellbinding to ferocious, is one of the most perfect recordings I've ever heard.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2010 12:35 PM PDT

Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - Greatest Hits
Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - Greatest Hits
Price: $4.99
102 used & new from $1.32

5.0 out of 5 stars This album is unique, May 3, 2010
I am 50 years old, and my wife and I have 2 kids, ages 16 and 18. This particular album has the singular and unique characteristic of having been played (and loved) by my parents while I was growing up, by my wife's parents while she was growing up (in an entirely different part of the world), by us (now) as our kids have grown up, AND by my 2 kids themselves (it resides on their iPods, through no coaxing on our part, right next to all the rest of their music). And don't think that we're singularly "into" this type of music -- on the contrary, I can think of no other album of this particular style that we own. Our music collection ranges from classical to punk rock, from Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin to Mozart to The Who to Bach to Alison Krauss to Enya to Miles Davis. And then there's this unique gem of a CD. It's really amazing -- despite a certain level of kitchiness unavoidable in the so-called "easy listening" music of its era, there's an inexplicable quality to these songs, arrangements, and performances that make it truly a universal and addictively enjoyable set of music. I have no doubt that when my kids leave the house and get married, it'll get played in their households for their kids, etc, etc. Buy this. Just do it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3