Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL
Profile for Doug Hellmann > Reviews

Doug Hellmann's Profile

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Doug Hellmann RSS Feed (Athens, GA United States)

Dealing With Disrespect: Handling your critics, no matter what they throw at you
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A good reminder that we're all human, May 9, 2014
Dealing with Disrespect is a good follow up to The Art of Community. It uses clear, specific examples to demonstrate the importance of remembering that there is always more to a person than what we see when we encounter them online. Seeking to understand that back-story, and having a little patience, goes a long way to making our sometimes fraught digital lives more peaceful and pleasant.

Python Testing Cookbook
Python Testing Cookbook
by Greg L. Turnquist
Price: $44.99
31 used & new from $29.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Packed with intros to useful tools, July 21, 2011
Why I picked it up: The timing was perfect. We are applying more test automation techniques as part of improving our QA process at work, and I hoped to find some useful tools.

Why I finished it: It's a fast read, especially when you skim over the code. There are a lot of good tips, and it introduces a range of tools, which is just what I needed.

I'd give it to: Our QA team. It will explain some of the tools the development team is already using and introduce others that are well suited for the needs of the QA team.

For more details, see [...]

Porting to Python 3: An in-depth guide
Porting to Python 3: An in-depth guide
by Lennart Regebro
5 used & new from $28.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good advice in an easy to access package, April 23, 2011
Why I picked it up: I am preparing to port my "Python Module of the Week" code to Python 3 and we are starting to study what it would take to make the switch at work, too.

Why I finished it: At a computationally pleasing 128 pages, the book gets right to the point, without a lot of fluff and filler.

I'd give it to: Developers with enough Python 2 code that porting to version 3 is going to be a major project. Programmers who want to support both 2 and 3 at the same time will also find helpful information.

More details at [...]

Foundations of Python Network Programming: The comprehensive guide to building network applications with Python (Books for Professionals by Professionals)
by John Goerzen
Price: $46.91
49 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good depth and breadth of topics, February 27, 2011
Why I picked it up: I know Brandon through PyATL and was confident that his years of experience would ensure that he put out a high quality book. He more than met my expectations.

Why I finished it: The conversational tone made it easy to zip through the sections covering material I was familiar with, saving more time to study the rest more completely.

I'd give it to: Any Python programmer who wants a better understanding of the fundamentals of network programming. Even an experienced Python programmer will learn a few new tricks from the sections covering more modern tools like ZeroMQ and paramiko.

This is the second edition of Foundations of Python Network Programming. The first edition by John Goerzen was released in 2004, and while a lot has changed in the way we use computer networks since then the fundamentals remain constant. Brandon Rhodes has improved the second edition by cleaning up the old examples that are still relevant, updating or replacing the ones that became obsolete, and adding new material. The results benefit from Brandon's high level of expertise and depth of knowledge in networking.

The book covers a broad range of topics, and is organized so that each section builds on the knowledge of the previous chapters. The discussions move from from raw TCP and UDP to encryption with TSL, and then on to application protocols like HTTP, SMTP, POP, IMAP, and ssh. Each section explains not just how to do a task, but why doing it that way works.

The examples in the book are clear and illustrate the concepts described in the text. There are a few places where the exposition would benefit from a diagram or two (especially in the description of TCP message windows), but the explanation given does stand on its own.

Every chapter of Foundations of Python Network Programming is filled with practical advice. After establishing the fundamentals of networking in the first few chapters, the book goes on to cover architectural issues that come up when creating client server applications. The different uses for RPC and message queue architectures are covered, as well binary versus text wire protocols. The latter chapters, which cover higher level protocols, discuss best-of-breed libraries, removing much of the guesswork for Python programmers choosing tools for new projects.

I recommend Foundations of Python Network Programming for programmers who want to move beyond the usual web framework-based development paradigm to learn more about what is going on behind the scenes. It is concise, but written in a conversational style that makes it easy to read. After reading the book, you will have a good grounding in the fundamentals of networking and be introduced to many more complex subjects. Brandon includes a number of references to other sources of more information, as well, for readers who want to go beyond the fundamentals covered here.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2013 12:14 AM PDT