Profile for Amanda D > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 36

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amanda D RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Iron Giant
The Iron Giant
by Ted Hughes
Price: $17.46
28 used & new from $3.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story--beautiful illustrations, April 10, 2014
This review is from: The Iron Giant (Hardcover)
I'm a librarian with two boys, 5 and 3, who love robots and books. This is a little long for the 3 year old and I usually skip some of the wordier parts for him, but the 5 year old is engrossed with the whole thing. The illustrations are very unique and appealing and the language is just wonderful for reading aloud. This is a big hit at my house and I am so glad I purchased it for our collection.

Skagen Steel Two Tone Mesh Watch 233Xsgsc
Skagen Steel Two Tone Mesh Watch 233Xsgsc

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection! For exactly two years...., March 21, 2014
This really was the perfect watch. The slim style was excellent. I loved the slightly modern design without all the bling you see on so many watches. Even the numerals were lovely--sort of midcentury modern looking. But, alas, almost 2 years to the day after I purchased it, it developed a "fog" under the glass that looks like water is trapped beneath. I almost never submerge it in water and I have no idea how the moisture got in there. I haven't taken it to the jeweler yet, but I sincerely hope it can be fixed because, really and truly, this was the perfect watch for me.

UPDATE: I sent the watch in to the company for repair and it came back, in absolutely perfect shape, within 2 weeks! I am so impressed with this company and their repair policy and customer service. It was apparently under warranty and only cost me shipping to/from to have it repaired. I am so happy to have my watch back--and working as flawlessly as ever. Also, I did not note this before, but the glass resists scratching really well--much better than most of the more expensive watches I've had.

This has to be one of the best purchases I've ever made. Great price for a very nice looking watch and great customer service. Win!

Insect Finger Puppets 12ct
Insect Finger Puppets 12ct
Offered by Help Me Ronda Things
Price: $6.25
10 used & new from $6.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bugs!, March 14, 2014
This review is from: Insect Finger Puppets 12ct (Toy)
I got these for my son to give away at Valentine's this year and they were a big hit. Surprisingly well made and realistic. Much better than simple bugs because the kids can zoom them around on their fingers. Perfect!

Miz Mooz Women's Primrose Sandal,Tobacco,9 M US
Miz Mooz Women's Primrose Sandal,Tobacco,9 M US

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute shoes! But with some serious issues..., March 14, 2014
These shoes are really cute.I have slightly wide-ish feet, but the fit is just fine anyway. The ankle strap is substantial and may take a while to get used to but they are also quite stylish, I think, and I love the velcro. I can't say these would be good for lots of walking, but I think they will be pretty comfortable if you don't have to stand up and walk all day.

UPDATE after about a month of wearing 2-3 times a week: The sole of both shoes is starting to come unattached at the front causing me to trip over it. Some shoe goo will fix it, but it happened after wearing just a few times. The leather is very easily scuffed, especially on the back of the heal. Also, these are definitely not for walking around for long at all. The front rubbed my toes on both sides. Bandaids helped with this but they are definitely not going to my go to shoes this summer. Still cute and they get lots of compliments and they were good for the price. But I certainly don't see these last for more than one summer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2014 10:31 PM PDT

LEGO Play Book: Ideas to Bring Your Bricks to Life
LEGO Play Book: Ideas to Bring Your Bricks to Life
by Daniel Lipkowitz
Price: $14.87
110 used & new from $5.66

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is awesome, February 17, 2014
Practically speaking, the ideas in this book are tough to replicate unless you've invested thousands of dollars in a very extensive Lego collection. But it has provided lots of inspiration and many hours of critical analysis by my 3 and 5 year old. The story line is minimal, but appeals to my younger son. Overall, the ideas in this book are amazing and highly creative. Even if you can't recreate them entirely, it opens up a whole new world of what's possible with Legos.

LEGO City Passenger Train 7938
LEGO City Passenger Train 7938
Offered by Jamazing Store
Price: $231.94
72 used & new from $180.70

4.0 out of 5 stars Great train set for a good price, February 17, 2014
When my son asked for a Lego train set for Christmas I cringed because I knew how expensive they are. We got this one on sale from Amazon and, although it was the cheapest one out there, it has been great. Maybe not for advanced or older Lego builders, but for a 3 and 5 year old (and their parents) it has provided hours of entertainment. We look forward to adding additional tracks and maybe a station later on but, for now, it has been well loved.

Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp
Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp
by Carol Diggory Shields
Price: $6.97
103 used & new from $0.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute book!, February 17, 2014
My three year old loves the illustrations of the crazy looking dinosaurs and the rhythmic language. I'd definitely recommend this book!

San Diego Women's Ribbon Crusher Hat
San Diego Women's Ribbon Crusher Hat
Price: $21.00 - $46.56

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, February 17, 2014
I have an average size head and this hat is a little too snug. It works fine but is a little on the stiff side, too. I have several hats, including a couple from San Diego Hat Company, but this is my least favorite of them all. I keep it in the car for emergencies, but don't wear it otherwise.

Wildkin Horse Dreams 12-Ounce Steel Water Bottle
Wildkin Horse Dreams 12-Ounce Steel Water Bottle

2.0 out of 5 stars Horses easily scratched off, September 30, 2013
I've ordered two backpacks and a lunch bag from Wildkin and love the quality of their products. This water bottle, however, is not well made. We've only had it a month or so and the horses are already coming off. I have only handwashed it with a sponge--no dishwasher--because I suspected this might happen. Too bad because my five year old loves horses and was very proud of his water bottle at school.

VTech - Slide And Talk Smart Phone
VTech - Slide And Talk Smart Phone
Price: $9.88
30 used & new from $4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible quality and even worse customer help, February 11, 2013
We received one of these for Christmas. The display screen looked pretty bad - lots of lines and hazy background images - which made it impossible to read. After trying two other sets of batteries I took the plunge and called the Vtech support number. The 30 minute call was not a good experience but after trying another set of batteries and following their instructions to reset the toy they finally took my info and agreed the toy was defective. They explained that once I boxed up the toy and shipped it back they would send me a new one in 1 to 2 months (nice). I then received an RA number and shipping label via email. The shipping is supposed to be prepaid but the label and RA contained zero information about how to ship it (UPS, USPS, FedEX...?). I have new tried and email and two phone calls to find out how to send this toy back. It seems my only remaining option might be to ship back their defective toy at my own expense and hope they don't send me another piece of junk. Fantastic.

As an additional note, we have in the past received a different Vtech child's toy and returned it to the store where it was bought because it was also a piece of garbage with a barely legible screen. I also briefly owned one of Vtech's cordless phones which was also terrible. Don't buy anything from this company!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4