Profile for SarasotaTheBand > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

SarasotaTheBand RSS Feed

Introducing Maya 2011
Introducing Maya 2011
by Dariush Derakhshani
Price: $29.05
92 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is TERRIBLE, June 10, 2011
This review is from: Introducing Maya 2011 (Paperback)
I'm an experienced graphic artist and I found this book so frustrating that I had to quit working with it. The author assumes so many bits of knowledge about terminology and understanding of the graphic interface that it's frankly unusable. The diagrams don't show the important things (like where buttons are located) and instead opt for vague overviews of projects. The author provides interface overview chapters that are for some reason placed separate from the tutorials (obviously, tutorials are how you are supposed to LEARN the interface). I honestly don't understand how anyone can get through this book. I want my money back.

Awakening Volume 1
Awakening Volume 1
by Nick Tapalansky
29 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE Awakening, August 24, 2010
This review is from: Awakening Volume 1 (Hardcover)
I've followed this comic since the first issue. The story is obviously awesome (a new and smart take on zombies), but I buy it for the art. I love this hardcover...it's beautiful, and people always want to pull it off my shelf. The images inside are so varied, but they all show meticulous craftsmanship (EVERY single page), and avoid the ugly glossed look of a lot of similar comics. The color work is dark but so subtle--Eckman-Lawn uses light in all the right ways.

I can't WAIT for the next installment (they just posted the preorder here! http://www.amazon.com/Awakening-2-Nick-Tapalansky/dp/1932386955/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282661722&sr=1-2). Can't wait to see how Tapalansky and Eckman-Lawn pull the strings of the story together.