Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for Kathy Cunningham > Reviews

Browse

Kathy Cunningham's Profile

Customer Reviews: 771
Top Reviewer Ranking: 316

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kathy Cunningham RSS Feed (Bowie, MD USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Oreck Elevate Control Upright Lightweight Filtration Bag Vacuum, UK30100 - Corded
Price: $299.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice little machine, but it's for carpets only -- and no attachments, June 30, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Oreck “Control” upright vacuum is a nice little machine. But it’s pricey, considering the drawbacks.

First the pluses:

1) It arrives almost fully assembled – all you have to do is snap in the handle (with attached power cord) and you’re good to go. This is a big plus, since many of the vacuum cleaners I’ve purchased over the years come in multiple pieces that must be assembled.

2) The operating directions are well written and easy to follow – there’s even a little zippered pouch on the back of the vacuum to hold the manual and warranty materials.

3) It’s very lightweight and easy to carry – it weighs about 9 pounds, which is almost half the weight of my Bissell CleanView. There’s a convenient carrying handle on the back of the vacuum which helps when moving it up and down stairs (this is always a chore for me).

4) It can fully recline, meaning you can get under furniture very easily – this is a big plus for vacuuming under beds and chairs without moving furniture.

5) It has good suction – so far, anyway. I’ve owned many vacuums over the years, and I’ve given up on the pricier models because they always seem to run out of steam within a year. This one runs very well right out of the box. But we’ll see how long that lasts.

6) The bag holds a lot – the advertising copy says it will hold four times more than the capacity of bagless vacs. Of course it’s difficult to actually make that comparison, since you can’t see how much is in the bag after vacuuming one room. I did manage to vacuum my entire house (the carpeted areas, anyway) and the bag is nowhere near full. With my bagless Bissell, I would have had to empty the dirt cup at least once during cleaning.

7) Oreck offers one free tune-up in your first year of ownership – this might keep this vacuum running well for longer. You do need to find an authorized Oreck service center in your area (if there isn’t one near you, you can mail the vacuum to Oreck, but you’ll have to pay for packing it up and shipping it; Oreck will only pay for return shipping). Luckily, there are several authorized centers near me.

And now the negatives:

1) This works on carpets only – you can’t use it on bare floors, and there are no attachments to help with stairs and furniture. If you buy this, you’ll have to buy a second vacuum cleaner for the rest of your house. This is a big negative for me, since half of my house has hardwood floors.

2) There is no way to change the height of the brush – this means you’ll be getting the same level of brush action and suction on low-pile carpets and thicker, deep-pile carpets. The brushes are quite stiff, and I did notice that a lot of carpet fibers are getting sucked up, especially on deep-pile carpeting. This might be a problem over time.

3) The bags are expensive – Amazon sells a 6-pack of Oreck replacement bags (AK1CC6A) for $27.00, meaning they come out to $4.50 per bag. If you try to find less expensive, generic alternatives, you will void your warranty.

4) There is no HEPA filter on this vacuum – this may be a problem for those with allergies. The bags do have something called “SaniSeal,” which is supposed to contain dust and allergens – the listing says these bags are “great for users with low to moderate allergy concerns in their homes.” I have family members with serious allergies to pet dander, and a HEPA filter is preferable.

5) This vacuum cleaner is expensive – at $300, this isn’t cheap. I realize it’s less than many high-end cleaners, but at that price I would expect some adjustments to allow it to work on all floor surfaces. My Bissell CleanView (admittedly a low-end vac) was well under $100 and works very well on both carpets and bare floors. The Oreck may be a better vacuum, with stronger suction, but I don't like the idea of paying $300 and then having to purchase another vac for my bare floors, stairs and furniture.

Bottom line, I really like how light-weight this vacuum is, and I love how easy it was to set up and start using. I’m not crazy about the bags (and I hate to have to pay $4.50/each for replacements). If you live in a house that is fully carpeted, this might be a good choice – but I doubt anyone has carpet in the kitchen or bathrooms, so you’ll still need something else for those rooms. I’ll probably keep this upstairs, where my bedrooms are carpeted, and use the Bissell for the rest of my house.

Stretch Island Organic Fruit Strips Variety Pack, 36 Count
Stretch Island Organic Fruit Strips Variety Pack, 36 Count
Price: $19.27

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, sticky, and nothing like fruit leather, June 30, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Stretch Island fruit strips are certified organic, which is a good thing. There’s nothing particularly worrisome in their ingredients – except for something called “natural flavor,” listed under the ingredients for the strawberry flavor. All three flavors contain fruit puree, the apple cinnamon and grape flavors contain lemon juice concentrate, and the apple cinnamon contains cinnamon. There’s no added sugar, no fat, no sodium, and minimal calories (45-50 calories per strip). Unfortunately, they don’t taste very good.

I was expecting these to be like fruit leather, which is dried fruit pressed into a sheet – fruit leather tastes like dried fruit, with a chewy bite and a tart-sweet flavor. These fruit strips taste like fruit paste. They’re not at all chewy – they sort of melt in your mouth like jam. They’re also very sweet (probably because all of them contain apple puree, which would cut the tartness). The strawberry flavor smells like real strawberry, but it doesn’t taste like strawberry. The grape tastes nothing like grape. The apple cinnamon does taste like apple cinnamon – it’s the one I liked the most.

These strips are also very moist and sticky – they’re not easy to get out of the little plastic pouches they’re packaged in, and you’ll definitely want to wash your hands after eating one. This makes them less suitable for packing in school lunches or nibbling in the car.

Bottom line, I like that these are organic, and that they’re a reasonably healthy snack. I just wish they tasted better. If you like sweet, sticky snacks, you’ll probably like these better than I did. I doubt I’ll finish the box.

Calvin Klein Jeans Women's Legging, Dark Rinse, 31
Calvin Klein Jeans Women's Legging, Dark Rinse, 31
Price: $69.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice denim leggings -- size chart is accurate, June 30, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are very nice leggings. The fabric is snug but stretchy, and the cut is very flattering. I actually look “skinny” in them! I like the very dark blue denim, which makes the leggings look more dressy – combined with a loose, classy top they’d be great for dinner out. The waist band sits just below the natural waistline – it’s not as stretchy as I’d like it to be, but it does fit. I look nice in these leggings.

As for the sizing, I received a 31 (meaning a 31-inch waist). I generally wear a size 12 jeans, so the size chart is accurate (size 12 on the chart is listed as a 30.5-inch waist). Women’s pants aren’t usually sized by the waist (as men’s are), but the waist sizes do seem to correspond to the traditional sizes on the size chart.

Overall, these are nicely-made denim leggings which look great and feel very comfortable. I do recommend them.

GE 33691 Ultra-Flat Digital Amplified Antenna Bar, 1080P HD, 50 Mile Range
GE 33691 Ultra-Flat Digital Amplified Antenna Bar, 1080P HD, 50 Mile Range
Price: $34.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Depending on where you live, this does a really good job, June 25, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This GE Pro Bar HD antenna is a lot better than the RCA one I’ve been using for the past year. We’re using it with an upstairs TV that isn’t connected to our cable company so we can get local channels. With the RCA, we were really only able to get 4 channels (two of them PBS). With the GE Pro Bar, we’re getting 10 channels, including two of the major networks. Not all of them come in crystal clear, and a few of them have weak signals (which means the picture will break up at times). But overall, this is a big step up from the less expensive RCA antenna.

The problem with any indoor antenna like this is that the reception you’ll get is dependent on where you live and how you mount the antenna. I happen to live in an area that doesn’t get good reception for most broadcast stations – it would require a roof-mounted antenna to get anywhere close to all 47 of the channels available. You can check the reception at your address by going to the channelmaster website – you can enter your address into their antenna selection feature and get a detailed assessment of which kind of antenna you’ll need to get which channels (indoor set-top antenna, attic-mounted antenna, or roof-mounted antenna). This GE antenna actually picks up some of the channels only available through attic-mounted antennas, so it’s doing a really good job.

This antenna is very easy to install (I mounted it on the wall near a window and above the TV). It connects to the antenna input on your TV via a coax cable and a power amplifier (included). You will, of course, need an electrical outlet available, but that’s it. The antenna comes with a stand you can use (if your TV is wide enough, you can put this on top of the set), but I found wall-mounting to be more convenient (there are two keyhole slots on the back of the antenna to make mounting it easy).

Bottom line, this does help us get more channels than we did with the less expensive RCA antenna. It’s not a miracle worker, though – how it works for you will depend on where you live and the accessibility of broadcast towers. For an indoor set-top antenna, this is a good buy.

Anne Klein Women's Quartz Metal and Alloy Dress Watch, Color:Rose Gold-Toned (Model: AK/2342RWST)
Price: $175.00
2 used & new from $175.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Attractive watch, but why the bracelets??, June 25, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This Anne Klein wristwatch is definitely attractive – it combines rose gold and white enamel, highlighted by tiny rhinestones and a mother-of-pearl watch face. It comes in a very nice gift box, along with three coordinating bracelets. See my photos for details.

The watch fits like a bangle bracelet, with an adjustable clasp (there is an additional link which can be removed to make the watch smaller – I have a 6 ½ inch wrist, and it was quite loose with both links; I removed the second link and it fit better). The three bracelets are also adjustable – one (which looks like snakeskin, has an adjustable buckle, and the other two have removable links, like the watch). Aside from the snakeskin bracelet, all of these pieces are designed to fit like bangles, with some movement on your wrist. If you like your watch to fit more snugly, you would have to further adjust the band by removing additional links (this is something best done by a jeweler, unless you own very tiny tools!).

While I do like the watch, I’m not sure what the point of the three bracelets is. In one of the listing photos, the model is shown wearing all four pieces on the same wrist – the watch, plus the three bracelets. I tried that, but it seemed clunky. I also tried wearing the watch on one wrist and the bracelets on the other, which worked better for me (although I’m not crazy about the bracelets). When I first saw this listing I assumed the bracelets were different watch bands, meaning you could switch them out to make the watch more versatile. But they’re not.

Overall, this is an expensive watch – and it doesn’t really look or feel expensive. The white enamel actually makes it seem less dressy and less expensive. That’s not a bad thing, and it is an attractive watch. But at $175, it seems pricey. Since part of that price is paying for the three bracelets (which I actually have little use for), it’s something to consider when buying this. If you like the bracelets and would wear them, then this might be a good buy. I would have preferred the option to buy the watch on its own.
Comment Comment | Permalink

The Kept Woman: A Novel (Will Trent)
The Kept Woman: A Novel (Will Trent)
by Karin Slaughter
Price: $21.98

2.0 out of 5 stars If you're familiar with these characters, this might work for you -- for a newcomer, not so much, June 23, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I did not enjoy Karin Slaughter’s THE KEPT WOMAN. Part of the problem may be that I’m a newcomer to Slaughter’s work, and reading this felt like I had jumped into the middle of the pool without a flotation device! Clearly, this is part of a series – the central characters will undoubtedly be familiar to long-time fans (Georgia Bureau of Investigation Detective Will Trent, his partner Faith Mitchell, his boss Director Amanda Wagner, his lover Medical Examiner Sara Linton, and his psychotic estranged wife Angie Polaski). The case being investigated is fairly complex – the body of a former Atlanta cop is found in an abandoned building owned by pro basketball player Marcus Rippy, who just beat a rape charge. Will Trent was handling the rape case, so he’s not happy to be dealing with Rippy again. And to make matters worse, blood found at the murder scene isn’t the victim’s; it’s Will’s wife Angie Polaski’s. So the GBI is investigating the cop’s murder, while Will searches for Angie (who may or may not be dead herself), and Medical Examiner Sara Linton (who’s in love with Will) can’t stop wondering whether Will and Angie have been seeing each other again.

From the perspective of a first-time Slaughter reader, I found myself drowning in all the characters and their personal drama. I really didn’t expect this from a crime novel. Sure, I get the repartee (that’s par for the course), but the crazy wife, the jealous girlfriend, the womanizing cops, and all the secrets and lies – well, it just felt a bit over the top. Very little happens in the first hundred pages of this novel beyond a cursory investigation of the crime scene and a lot of background info on Will and Angie, Will and Sara, Will and Faith, and Will and Amanda. And I found myself losing track of the case – such as it is – in all the angst.

Overall, there is a story here, and while the novel gets off to a slow start, things do pick up in the final act and there is a purpose for all the characters and their interactions. I just never cared much about any of them, and this is definitely a character-driven book. Would I have felt differently had I known Will and Faith and Sara and Angie before reading THE KEPT WOMAN? It's hard to say. If you haven’t read Slaughter’s other Will Trent novels, I’d suggest starting there before diving into this one (the first in the series is TRIPTYCH, where Will is introduced). If you’re already a fan, you may love this. It didn’t work for me.

OXO Good Grips 8 Piece SNAP Glass Round Container Set
OXO Good Grips 8 Piece SNAP Glass Round Container Set
Price: $29.99
4 used & new from $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent glass storage containers -- the lids aren't easy to use, though, June 20, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This OXO Good Grips set is a great alternative to plastic storage containers. The advantages of glass are many – it’s easier to clean, glass doesn’t degrade or break down as plastic does, and it’s freezer-oven- microwave-dishwasher safe. This set includes four heavy-weight glass storage bowls (1-cup, 2-cup, 4-cup, and 7-cup), each with a plastic snap-on lid. The lids have a removable rubber gasket to create a tight seal and prevent leaks – while you can’t use the lids in the oven, you can use them in the microwave (and they are top-rack dishwasher safe). I love these bowls, and I do plan to start using them regularly in place of my plastic storage containers.

There is one negative, however – the lids are not easy to use. I have a plastic set by another company with very similar four-tab snap lids, but it’s much easier to use (the rim of the plastic containers is much thinner, which means snapping on the lids is easier). With the OXO glass bowls, the rim is considerable thicker, and it takes a bit of pressure and strength to get all four of the tabs to snap in place. Once on, the lid is stable (I filled one of the bowls with water, applied the lid, and shook it like crazy – no leaking at all). But I have to admit putting these lids on takes more effort than I’d like.

Overall, I love the concept of these storage containers, and I do think it’s better overall to use glass rather than plastic when storing food. I like that these bowls can go straight from the freezer into a pre-heated oven (at temperatures as high as 450 degrees!). I like that they can be used in the microwave along with their lids – just open up all four tabs before microwaving so they can vent.

I do wish the set came with some instructions, though – the only info on how to use these containers is printed in tiny type on the bottom of the box. It would be easier if this info was printed in a flyer that could be kept for future reference. But it’s a nice set which will get a lot of use in my kitchen.

Bitter Remains: A Custody Battle, A Gruesome Crime, and the Mother Who Paid the Ultimate Price
by Diane Fanning
Price: $8.99
65 used & new from $4.93

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious crime novel, June 17, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have to admit that it’s been a while since I’ve read any true crime books, but I used to be a big fan. My favorites were Joe McGinniss (FATAL VISION, CRUEL DOUBT), Ann Rule (SMALL SACRIFICES, STRANGER BESIDE ME), and Thomas Thompson (BLOOD AND MONEY, SERPENTINE). What all three authors had in common was an ability to take the facts of real life criminal cases and spin them into fascinating stories that were addictively engaging. Unfortunately, Diane Fanning doesn’t have that ability – at least not in BITTER REMAINS.

Basically, this book is a straightforward retelling of the Laura Ackerson case – a young mother is brutally murdered by her ex-husband and his second wife during a heated custody dispute. Fanning starts out by recounting the backgrounds of the principle characters – Laura, her ex-husband Grant Hayes, and his second wife, Amanda. There’s little style here; it’s pretty much just page after page of background info on where they were born, how they met, and where they ended up before Laura’s disappearance. This, along with a section on the initial police investigation following the discovery of Laura’s dismembered body, takes up just under half of the book. The rest of it is simply a recounting of Grant’s and Amanda’s trials – it’s pretty much just a list of witnesses and what they said, just page after page of itemized testimony. It gets very tedious very quickly.

The case itself is interesting, at least initially. However the evidence is so overwhelming that there is little doubt that Grant and Amanda had conspired to murder and mutilate Laura. All that’s left to find out is how the juries ruled. Fanning provides no real insight into why this murder happened or why Laura married Grant in the first place (he’s portrayed as a controlling, manipulative drug abuser and womanizer who cheated on Laura repeatedly; she knew all of this, but accepted it). Why? It’s not clear.

There is a brief Afterward in this book in which Fanning attempts to shed some light on some of the questions we’re left with, but it’s too little too late. I was left wondering why she chose this particular case to memorialize in 400 pages of text. I understand that Fanning is a popular true crime writer, with multiple awards to her name and scores of dedicated fans. Based on BITTER REMAINS, I don’t get it.

Bottom line, I found BITTER REMAINS to be a tedious read. Fanning’s earlier books might be better, but I can’t recommend this one.

The Beauty of the End
The Beauty of the End
by Debbie Howells
Price: $19.02

3.0 out of 5 stars Twisty mystery romance that doesn't quite ring true, June 16, 2016
This review is from: The Beauty of the End (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Debbie Howell’s THE BEAUTY OF THE END is being billed as “a masterpiece of suspense and a powerful rumination on lost love.” It is definitely suspenseful, and I get the love story aspect of the plot, but the words “masterpiece” and “powerful” don’t ring true for me. Basically, this is the story of lawyer-turned-writer Noah Calaway who gets a surprising call from former friend Dr. Will Farrington – April Moon, a girl they both knew in high school, is the prime suspect in the murder of a man outside a bar. To make matters worse, April has attempted suicide and is in the hospital, unconscious, under police guard. So Noah rushes to her side, determined to help prove her innocence. Howell gives us plenty of time-shifty narrative about how Noah met April (the second he saw her he knew she was “a goddess”), and how they came together and fell apart and came together and fell apart again. It’s been sixteen years since Noah has seen either her or Will, but he’s instantly obsessed again. And it’s clear from the start that April had secrets, that Will isn’t who he appears to be, and that Noah’s perspective isn’t particularly reliable. But unfortunately, the story doesn’t quite ring true.

The narrative style of BEAUTY OF THE END is a bit overwrought for my taste. Noah waxes poetic about goddess April, laments their inability to forge a lasting relationship, and frets about saving her from police investigators. Things happened in April’s past – Noah isn’t sure what they are, but he knows she was afflicted by them (April reminded me a lot of Forrest Gump’s Jenny Curran, a beautiful girl damaged beyond repair by a horrible past). There are also hints of something supernatural going on – is April some sort of mystic healer, able to bring broken birds back to life? Ultimately, this goes nowhere; it’s just there to add to the “haunting” quality of the prose.

And then there’s another character – and another perspective – thrown into the mix. A fifteen-year-old girl known only as Ella begins recounting her own tale of secrets and lies. She’s seeing a therapist who tries to help her navigate the disturbing things she’s discovering about her wealthy parents. Howell gives us Ella’s story in italicized chapters, mixed in with Noah’s accounts of his past relationship with April and his present-day attempts to unravel the murder mystery. It all gets a little confusing at times, and Ella’s connection to Noah’s story isn’t revealed until the final quarter of the novel. There IS a connection, but it’s fraught with coincidences and seems more than a little far-fetched.

I’m not sure where this novel really wants to go. On one level, it’s a twisty romance about an enigmatic woman with an inscrutable past. On another, it’s a murder mystery wrapped up in blackmail, manipulated evidence, and overbearing police detectives. And on yet another, it’s a morality tale about assisted death and unethical medical practices. None of it seemed to hold together for me.

THE BEAUTY OF THE END is a readable novel that does hold your interest – I was intrigued enough to finish it fairly quickly. But by the end I found myself losing interest in the plethora of secrets and lies, and in Noah’s rather absurd obsession with April – he was never a believable character for me. Part of the problem may be that, aside from one letter late in the novel, we never get to hear from April herself; what we know of her is all filtered through Noah’s very biased perspective. And that one letter, which attempts to wrap up April’s sad tale, sounds so much like Noah’s own narration that I had a hard time believing it was really April’s voice. That’s a problem with this novel – even 15-year-old Ella’s voice sounds like Noah’s. Bottom line, if you like twisty mystery romances with obsessed narrators, you might like this one. I wasn’t a fan.

Dear Amy
Dear Amy
by Helen Callaghan
Price: $13.52

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay thriller with little real suspense, June 8, 2016
This review is from: Dear Amy (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Helen Callaghan’s DEAR AMY is a serviceable thriller with a reasonably interesting protagonist. If that sounds like faint praise, I guess you’re right. I never quite got into the story, and the obligatory “twist” (which shows up about two-thirds of the way in) was pretty obvious from the start. In fact, I was hoping there would be a “twist on the twist” so there would be some surprises in the final chapters. But no, this is a fairly straight-forward novel that ends up pretty much where you expect it to.

Protagonist Margo Lewis is a high school teacher in Cambridge, England, who also writes an advice column called “Dear Amy” for the local newspaper. After one of her former students, Katie Browne, goes missing, Margo begins to receive strange handwritten letters directed to “Dear Amy,” claiming to be from another missing girl who was presumed dead twenty years ago. Could the childish scrawl have been penned by the real Bethany Avery, or is something else going on? And who took Katie Browne?

The narration switches back and forth from Margo’s first-person account of her growing interest in the Bethany Avery case, to a third-person account of Katie’s ordeal with her mysterious kidnapper, known only as Chris. The pace is fairly slow, which gets in the way of any real suspense. Margo is dealing with a failed marriage (her ne’er-do-well husband is giving her problems with the divorce), along with a plethora of insecurities (she has a shadowy past with a history of drug addiction and mental breakdowns, things she’d like to keep secret from the school where she works). She’s also oddly attracted to a criminologist she begins meeting with to discuss the Bethany Avery case (this just feels weird). So a lot gets in the way of the actual kidnapping cases, which could have been more interesting.

It never makes much sense that Bethany Avery, who was kidnapped twenty years earlier as a child, is still being held in a moldy basement, begging for help from an advice columnist through a series of letters. How would a kidnap victim get her hands on stationery and stamps, much less mail a letter? Someone may be playing a prank on Margo, but there are clues in the letters that suggest the writer (whoever he or she is) knows something about the kidnapping. Callaghan also drops more than a few hints that Margo herself might not be the most reliable of narrators. The investigation – such as it is – doesn’t really get very far before the truth seems all too obvious. And the ending is what you expect it to be, with everything wrapped up neatly. There’s a moment, just before the final chapter, when Callaghan threatens to turn things upside down. But it’s just a moment – it’s over the second you turn the page. And that’s too bad, because a really good thriller needs to be a little messy and difficult. DEAR AMY is just a bit too easy.

Bottom line, this isn’t a bad novel. There’s enough plot to keep you engaged, and Margot is a likeable enough character who ends up rising to challenges she never anticipated. But there’s very little real suspense, and most of it feels very predictable and not very believable. So it’s one of those “okay” novels I probably won’t remember for very long.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20