Profile for Rob > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 64

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Rob RSS Feed (California, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Wagner ThermoQuiet QC465A Ceramic Disc Pad Set With Installation Hardware, Front
Price: $29.36
34 used & new from $26.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Slight brake squeel, July 28, 2011
I've installed plenty of brake pads before, but this one is the first set that specifically says not to apply any sort of anti-squeek compound or disc brake grease on the back of the pads because it's supposed to have this thermoquiet technology. I followed the instructions and only greased the ears of the pads and installed them (they have built-in shims so just slap them on and you're good to go). After driving around a couple of hundred miles, I do notice slight brake squeel upon coming to a complete stop. I never had this sort of problem when installing other ceramic pads using standard shims and applying disc brake grease on the back of the pads and the shims. However, given the price I paid ($30) and the price they are today as I write this review (around $27), I'd say it can't be beat and you really can't go wrong for such a cheap price (hell, I'm thinking about stocking up on another set right now because it's only $27 right now). Otherwise it seems the pads are still decent and my experience might have been a one-off case. I did also put on new rotors for this brake job, so not sure if that has anything to do with the slight squeel. Anyway, the squeel is very slight and almost unnoticeable unless you really listen for it.

The one good thing about these Wagners are it comes with pad retaining clips. I've never seen that before in any other brands I bought.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2011 6:13 AM PST

TEKTON 2580 3/8-Inch Drive Crowfoot Wrench Set, Metric, 10-Piece
TEKTON 2580 3/8-Inch Drive Crowfoot Wrench Set, Metric, 10-Piece
Price: $17.99
7 used & new from $12.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks ok but never used them yet, July 28, 2011
I haven't had a need for these but I bought them for one of those just in case situations, so all I can review here is for look and feel of the tool. Overall, the chrome is shiny, but the cut and machining just looks average. I'm not sure how strong the wrenches are but I imagine they'd be ok for medium duty work. Not sure if I would trust it for heavy duty work. I guess for the price, they seem decent and are keepers for me. When I do finally put them to use, I'll update this review.

Makita T-01389 62-Piece Impact Drill-Driver Bit Set
Makita T-01389 62-Piece Impact Drill-Driver Bit Set

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems average, July 7, 2011
The bits look like decent quality, but nothing that looks very impressive. If anything, this set comes with a very comprehensive assortment of useful bits which is why I bought it.

I did notice the bits don't stay in the case very well. I have the Dewalt impact ready bit set and that one comes with a nice sturdy case which holds the bits in very well. This Makita case doesn't hold the individual bit inserts very well and I find them falling out as I open the case.

Other than that, I'd probably rate this set as just a little above average and for around $20 I got them for, it's a very good deal.

Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles
Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles
Offered by World Class Inc.
Price: $24.99
8 used & new from $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Same as XiTech XR-90 Advanced OBD2 Code Reader, February 18, 2011
For the actual review, you can read my product review for the XiTech XR-90 Advanced OBD2 Code Reader because this is essentially the same unit, but under a different brand name.

The user manuals are almost identical, even including a listing of all the generic DTCs. The only difference with the MS300 over the XR-90 is it comes with a CD containing the pdf of the user manual and a hokey application used to search for over 8000 DTCs. Who needs this app when you can simply google any DTC on the internet, so I find this application useless and just a waste of space on my hard drive. Just about the only thing useful on the CD is the pdf of the user manual because it seems I can't find an electronic copy of the manual online. The only useful thing about the user manual is the list of DTCs because the unit only gives you the trouble code, but you have to look up the definition. However, you can easily google and find a list of all the trouble code definitions, print it out, and have a copy stored whereever you store the unit.

Overall, I like this handy no frills device. It's not going to have advanced features like my Equus Innova 3130 has, but most people just need to know the trouble code beyond anything else. I only paid about $21 for it and now I noticed it's back up to $29. Just get whichever is cheaper (i.e. XR-90 or MS300) because I'm sure they are made by the same manufacturer. They work exactly the same and there is no difference other than the colors of the units.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2012 8:20 AM PDT

B&R Plastics 101-6B-BLACK EZ Foldz Step Stool
B&R Plastics 101-6B-BLACK EZ Foldz Step Stool
Price: $16.91
11 used & new from $9.38

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sturdy, compact and well designed, February 16, 2011
If you're trying to compare against the somewhat similar Kikkerland EZ Fold Short Step Stool, you should choose this one instead. I have seen that one at Bed Bath Beyond, and I don't like it because the handle sticks out when the stool is folded, and it also didn't feel as sturdy when I stood on it.

This stool by B&R is by far, the most compact stool (when folded) I have ever seen for stools around the same size. Bed Bath and Beyond used to sell them, but now they only carry the Kikkerland.

I was totally impressed by the feel of the stool when I stood on it. I'm less than 160 pounds in weight, so maybe heavier people might have different opinions, but for me this stool felt very sturdy and I am confident there's no way it's going to tip over while I'm on it. Without a doubt, I trust my toddlers to use it too.

It's a well made, and well designed product. When folded, it is so compact, you can tuck it away almost anywhere. Every household should have at least one of these.

MAXCRAFT 60191 27-LED Compact Worklight
MAXCRAFT 60191 27-LED Compact Worklight
Price: $7.75
7 used & new from $4.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright worklight, February 16, 2011
If I had to rate the feel and quality of this light, I'd say it's not totally heavy duty. I question if the plastic glass area in front of the LED lights can crack while in my tool bag. The plastic housing just seems like medium grade. The black you see on the front side is actually rubber coated.

What's cool about this light is the fact that it's so compact, yet brighter than my cordless Black and Decker LED work light. Not only does it have a hook that you can hang the light, but it has a very strong magnet on the back which gives you even more options to hang the light while you work.

You push the on/off switch once, and it turns on the few LED lights on the end of the unit (I don't think the picture shows it because those few lights are on the bottom of the unit) to use like a regular flashlight. Push the switch again, and that light goes off. Push the switch again and it now turns on the many LED lights on the main side of the unit. Finally push the switch to turn them off. I think it would be better to have a different switch for both functions because I can see how it might get tedious later on. It's not that bad, but just something I noticed.

To change the 3 AAA batteries, you need to unscrew 2 screws on the back. I think that did not need to be necessary in the design, but I guess it's good to know the battery cover will not fall out while in the tool bag.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2011 3:10 AM PDT

hitachi bag24HIT Hitachi Heavy Duty Nylon Canvas 24" Tool Bag
hitachi bag24HIT Hitachi Heavy Duty Nylon Canvas 24" Tool Bag

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent bag, February 16, 2011
The feel and quality of the bag is pretty good. The material feels thick and strong. I'm sure this bag can hold a lot of heavy stuff. I use it to put all my impact accessories as well as electric impact wrench in it. When I pick up the bag, it's not stressing at all which is good.

Inside has a few pockets, but this one pocket seems to get in the way. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it's like a big pocket that can take up 1/3 of the bottom space. Maybe I would describe it more like a flap or thin divider. Anyway, I could easily ignore this pocket and just put things right on top and let it fold flat, but I think it's better not to be there in the first place.

Otherwise, it's a basic very strong material tool bag that gets the job done. I have also tried the Dewalt 24" bag, Craftsman 20" bag, and the horrible Marshalltown 24" bag. Dewalt was almost as good, but the material felt thinner to me. They use the exact same material on their smaller bags too. Craftsman's inexpensive 20" bag (which comes with the 16" bag combo) had really thin material so I didn't trust it at all. See my review for Marshalltown which says it all to avoid that bag. I also own a Makita 21" tool bag and I would say this Hitachi bag is comparable to the Makita bags in feel and workmanship, which is good because Makita makes good quality bags. The only reason I bought this Hitachi bag was due to price (got it for $20), and the measurements (I needed a big bag). If Makita made a bag the same size and $20, I would probably go with them just for the name!

Makita 24" 16-Pocket Tool Carrying Bag/Tool Organizer
Makita 24" 16-Pocket Tool Carrying Bag/Tool Organizer
Offered by Hardware Sales Inc.
Price: $32.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality bag, February 10, 2011
This is a good quality bag. Very strong and the outer material feels thick and well made. To test its strength, I had my 40 pound toddler get inside the bag and I carried her around in it. I can tell the bag could easily handle her weight and more. No signs of stressing at any point.

The inside only has 1 holster pocket on the long side. On the inside short ends, one end has 2 pockets sized to fit the Makita LXT batteries while the other end just has a bigger pocket, probably made to fit the LXT charger. The outside has slit pockets as you see in the picture.

Size-wise, I measured roughly: 24"L x 12"D x 12"H. The difference with this bag compared with the wide mouth tool bags is when you close the bag, you don't lose any cubic space. With wide mouth tool bags, you lose some space when you close them because they become triangular shaped when closed.

The bag is fairly light which is another plus. The shoulder strap's metal hooks and the metal loops they connect to (on the bag) are thick. Other tool bags have thin hooks and loops, so you wonder if they can hold a lot of weight. Without a doubt, this shoulder strap can hold a ton of weight.

I'm sure this bag will last me a long time.

XiTech XR-90 Advanced OBD2 Code Reader
XiTech XR-90 Advanced OBD2 Code Reader

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the bare minimal, but decent, February 7, 2011
I also have an Equus Innova 3130 so I have something to compare with. This little code reader has 5 basic functions (checked this on an '06 Honda Odyssey):

1. DTC menu
2. Erase menu
3. I/M menu
4. VIN menu
5. Rescan menu

On the DTC menu, you can only retrieve a trouble code. It includes the manual with all the code listings and a quick definition of each code.

For the I/M menu, you can scroll through each self test as reported by the car's ECU and see if the test was run successfully. This is mainly useful to check your car's status just before you take it in for a smog test to see if your car's own computer thinks it's worthy of passing.

For the VIN menu, it's just what it says; it retrieves the car's VIN number (if the car supports reporting it).

Didn't try the Erase or Rescan, but they seem self-explanatory.

You won't get other features like the Innova 3130 has, but then again, I had to pay over a $160 for the 3130. The 3130 additionally gives me such features as showing and storing live sensor data (and computer software to analyze the data with), readout of the trouble code's definition on screen (instead of looking it up in a book), freeze frame data, firmware updateability, and I believe transmission codes. I'm not sure about the transmission codes, but I saw 3130 feature list mention it. Actually, from what I have read, any OBD II handheld that can obtain live sensor data is called a code scanner versus those that only get the DTC which are called code readers.

Given what I paid for this handy little code reader ($24), I don't expect all the bells and whistles, but quite frankly, just knowing the trouble code already is a good start in the troubleshooting process. I docked one star only because the quality and feel of this tool sort of feels like a toy, so I wouldn't want to drop it.

The main reason I bought this was to keep a cheap code reader in my car (in case of emergency) and leave my expensive scanner at home for the real dirty work.

Otherwise, it does what it claims, so no complaints.

Update 2011-02-16:

I just used the XR-90 to reset a DTC on a mini cooper over the weekend. It worked flawlessly.

I just received my second code reader in the mail. This one is a Maxiscan MS300. I am convinced the MS300 and the XR-90 is the exact same product, just different colors. The menu has the same options and the user manuals look very similar. The only difference is the MS300 came with a CD.

Dremel 756-01 MiniMITE 4.8V Battery Charger for use with 750-02
Dremel 756-01 MiniMITE 4.8V Battery Charger for use with 750-02
Offered by Chicago Medical Supply LLC
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Can work for older 4.8 Dremels with a little modification, January 26, 2011
This model 756-01 looks like a solid charger. Better than my older 756 charger. However, it's keyed to fit Dremel model 750-02. The battery side tabs of the model 750-02 are different as well.

I have two of the old classic Minimite Model 750. I lost one of the chargers, and was having trouble finding a replacement charger for it so I took a chance and ordered this one. In terms of charging specs, it has the exact same specs as the 756 charger, so the only difference is just the notch where the battery inserts (to make sure people can only insert the battery one way) and the side tabs of the battery.

What better tool to use but my Dremel to cut a groove on my old Minimite 755 4.8v battery so now it inserts into this 756-01 charger. As I mentioned earlier, the side tabs of the battery are different, so I have to hold the battery in the charger with a rubberband for it to make contact, but other than that, it's charging my old model minimite battery great!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2013 3:10 AM PDT