Profile for Robyn Dettmar > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robyn Dettmar RSS Feed (Illinois)

Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
by Deborah Madison
258 used & new from $1.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dominatric of Cooking, January 11, 2000
My husband calls Deborah Madison the Dominatrix of Cooking because of the picture on the cover of the book (she looks like she could get pretty serious with those wooden spoons---why two?), and because of her high-minded attitude about certain standard ingredients (e.g. the Parmesan cheese in the green box and regular table salt). I think she earns the moniker because she is clearly in charge in the kitchen. I love these recipes for their simplicity. Though I have (too) many cookbooks, I use this one more than any other and recommend it to all my friends who are curious about vegetarian cooking.
I have achieved a deep appreciation for chick peas--try chick peas and farfalle. This is easy, but so tasty, I serve it to company. Another elegant company dish: leek and goat cheese galette---sublime and wonderful, and not hard!
Though some have described recipes as too "simplistic," I would say this book allows vegetables to shine in a healthy straightforward way, not drowned with fatty sauces. Many of the recipes are do-able on a day-to-day basis, and since I cook for my family (including four kids, ages 10 to 17), I can't be the French chef every night. I bought a copy for my oldest, who has also fallen in love with it, since she will be going off to college soon.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2013 1:59 AM PST

The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook
The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook
by Wendy Stephen
195 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Did She Really Make All These Recipes?, January 11, 2000
I try to write a date and note next to each recipe the first time I make it, and looking through my book, I see that even some of the "spicier" dishes (a potato curry, for example) were enjoyed by everyone in my family---even my ten-year-old son! There are many interesting and innovative recipes in this cookbook, but I've sometimes gotten the impression that the author didn't make all the recipes herself. A couple of times (sorry I can't find the specific recipes), she seemed to leave out important steps or not mention something significant that one should watch out for. I do remember something that when baked, fell apart because it stuck to the pan. There was no instruction to grease or otherwise prepare the pan to prevent this. Anyway, I would say this is overall a good cookbook, but I am a little leery to make new recipes now, since I'm not sure all the necessary steps will be included.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2015 2:52 PM PDT