Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL
Profile for DaveH_SF > Reviews

DaveH_SF's Profile

Customer Reviews: 51

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

DaveH_SF RSS Feed (San Francisco, CA USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Dvorák Edition
Dvorák Edition
Price: $81.89
42 used & new from $51.98

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent overview of Dvorak., November 11, 2015
This review is from: Dvorák Edition (Audio CD)
I've just started going through this box, listening to the works that I am most familiar with. I did not expect to like the performances and recordings as much as I do. The performances, while perhaps not the best that I've heard are certainly respectable. The 8th and 9th Symphony are energetically performed and very nicely recorded. They are energetic and quite enjoyable. The symphonies are analogue recordings from the early 80s, nicely rendered digitally. Personally, I prefer remastered late analogue recordings to early digital recordings. Digital technology in the mid 80s did not capture as much depth as analogue. I also listened to the Serenade for Strings, which has a pastoral feel, bringing out the gentle slavic sound of the piece. While it was not what I'm used to hearing, it was enjoyable and not off-putting. The American Quartet is nicely performed, perhaps a little slow and plodding for my taste, going for pretty sonority over drama.. Overall, I'd say these are all 4 star performances, meaning recordings that I would listen to again, but not the best. But considering the price of this set (I bought it for just over a dollar a disk), I'm excited to explore all the Dvorak I am not familiar with.

Raisins and Almonds: Jewish Folk Songs
Raisins and Almonds: Jewish Folk Songs
14 used & new from $7.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this album and others for just 99 cents, October 15, 2015
This is a very nice recording, but you can get the MP3s of this album and several others by buying the Big Jewish Music Box for just 99 cents. It has a few other Martha Schlamme recordings.

CANARM ICW5201 Ceiling/Wall Omni 2 Light
CANARM ICW5201 Ceiling/Wall Omni 2 Light
Price: $23.33
3 used & new from $11.72

4.0 out of 5 stars a good light for the money, October 14, 2015
a good light for the money. The packaging is not so great so the item is prone to getting scratched. Check it carefully when you open the package. The first one we got was very scratched. We returned it. The second one had just some minor scratches that are not noticeable so we kept it. There is very little room for the light bulbs. We were just able to fit LED Par 20s, but getting the bulbs in and out is not that easy. The white glass has a slip fit, and we found it easier to insert the bulbs with the glass loose, and then tighten the glass cover after the bulbs were in. These could be a little better made, and better packaged but considering the price it is a good buy.

M-D Building Products 69648 2-1/4-Inch by 48-Inch DB038 Heavy Duty Door Sweep with Vinyl Seal, White
Price: $13.51
4 used & new from $8.44

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, could be better., October 14, 2015
Serves its purpose, but it is a little flimsy and there were a couple of rough spots in the finish. It is down near the floor, so you can't see the flaws. The first one sent to us was obviously damaged (packaging was half off, it was bent, and the paint was scratched.) Any person packing the box should have noticed. Does Amazon still have people packing their boxes? Anyway, we returned it and the next one was OK. Make sure that the grey rubber is what you want. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available with white rubber.

Sings Jewish Folk Songs
Sings Jewish Folk Songs
2 used & new from $110.50

5.0 out of 5 stars A great album, but go for the 99 cent collection instead, October 7, 2015
This review is from: Sings Jewish Folk Songs (Audio CD)
This is a wonderful collection of Jewish Folk Songs, nicely arranged, and beautifully sung by Martha Schlamme. I've been listening to this album for 50 years, and I still love it. But you can save a bundle by buying the "Big Jewish Music Box" MP3 collection on Amazon for just 99 cents, and you'll get a couple more Martha Schlamme albums and a bunch of other stuff as well. A great buy.

M-D Building Products 69609 1-1/4-Inch EPDM - 48-Inch DB006 Commercial Grade Door Sweep, Bronze
Price: $17.54
5 used & new from $12.12

2.0 out of 5 stars This sweep is black, not bronze, October 2, 2015
The sweep looks well made, my complaint is with the color. I thought the picture might be too dark, and that the finish was actually bronze. It is actually black. Painted black. When did black paint become a bronze finish? Bronze is a metal made out of copper and tin. It has a dark golden appearance. Aluminum can be given a bronze finish. This product is painted black. If that is what you want, buy it. We don't, so we returned it.

I think it is very strange that nobody seems to make a 48" sweep that is white, which is what we'd really like...

Big Schumann Box
Big Schumann Box
Price: $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars 4 star performances but 3 stars because it is a mess, August 22, 2015
This review is from: Big Schumann Box (MP3 Music)
The performances in this box are pretty good overall. Not the best, but very listenable. A very inexpensive way to survey the composer and find works you may not have heard before. But the "box" is a mess. The tracks download in a bizarre order. It will take some time to clean up this mess. So for 99 cents you've signed up for a project. Doesn't anyone actually check this stuff before it is put up for sale? You'd think so... Probably set up for downloads by someone who has never listened to this music and couldn't care less. Ah, the modern age -- full of inexpensive modern inconveniences. We're all working for Amazon.

Revealing Bach
Revealing Bach
Price: $66.60
34 used & new from $44.33

4.0 out of 5 stars The agony and the ecstasy..., July 3, 2015
This review is from: Revealing Bach (Audio CD)
There are some wonderful performances in here. Very musical interpretations but with Romantic sounding strings. I would give it 5 stars because I am very fond of Richter and his approach to Bach, except for one thing. Disc 12 is quite odd. It has a wonderful performance of the double violin concerto, but it sounds like they used a master with RIAA equalization! For those of you who don't remember (or weren't born yet), RIAA equalization was a way that engineers were able to put a realistic amount of bass into a vinyl record. If you tried to do this without equalization the grooves would be too wide, and the stylus would have a very difficult time tracking. So they attenuated the bass on the vinyl and then boosted it in the playback electronics. Disc 12 sounds very tinny. At first listen, I thought it might be a very, very old recording, so I looked at the documentation, which says that it is from the mid 60s. Archiv was making wonderful recordings in the mid 60s, so that wasn't it. To top it off, the booklet says that the recording is [AAA] !!?! Somebody was clearly asleep at the switch here! I think they didn't bother to listen to it before they sent it out for duplication. I ripped the first track off the CD and used Audacity to re-equalize the recording (Audacity has an RIAA equalization preset). Voila! It sounds quite wonderful, perhaps with a little bit too much lower bass, but that can be adjusted. So now I have a disc with 23 tracks that I need to remaster. So this box set reminds me of Ikea, you have to take it home and put it together yourself.

My audio engineer friend doesn't think that the master mix-up was due to RIAA equalization. He says that "the RIAA emphasis is not applied to the tape, it's part of the disc cutting process. More likely there was a mixup between the American standard NAB tape equalization curve and the CCIR standard mainly used in Germany." I haven't yet experimented to find out if this results in a better fix than using the RIAA curve.

==Further update==
After some more critical listening of these tracks and trying different equalization curves I can't say I really understand what happened. The lower bass and the treble seem to be boosted, which makes it sound raspy and boomy at the same time. I very much like the performance, so I'll experiment until I get it right...

==Additional oddity==
Apparently whoever mastered this box was not a Bach aficionado. I've found another mistake. On disk 15 they forgot the Fugue from the Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor. The jacket lists 2 tracks -- one for the Passacaglia, and one for the Fugue -- but the Fugue is not on the disk. Another disappointment in an otherwise great set.

Timex Men's T5K086 1440 Sport Watch with Black Band
Timex Men's T5K086 1440 Sport Watch with Black Band

4.0 out of 5 stars Good inexpensive watch, but cheap band., June 4, 2015
This is a good, inexpensive, easy to read and easy to use watch. It has one fault though - the resin band doesn't last very long. I had one for two years, and the band got brittle in several places and broke. If it weren't for that, I'd give it 5 stars. Still, I'm going to buy another one.

Offered by Fulfillment Express US
Price: $105.54
28 used & new from $62.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Yay! Finally a budget reissue!, January 13, 2015
This review is from: Cantatas (Audio CD)
This is a fabulous set. I first purchased this set on LP back in the 80s, and purchased a couple of disks as they were reissued singly. Most, however, never reappeared until there was the very overpriced box set a few years back. This set is now about $3 a disk, and it is well worth it.

Richter was considered to be somewhat of an old-school romantic by the auntentic instrumentation crowd back in the 70s and 80s. I thought similarly at the time, and even felt a little guilty for liking these recordings as much as I did. Now older (and presumably a little wiser), I've decided that Richter was, in many respects, ahead of his time. Gardiner's recordings over time have become more romanticized and are probably the closest to these stylisticly. The main difference is that Gardiner tends to conceive these as choral works with accompaniment, while Richter seems to place less emphasis on the choir, creating more of a balance between the orchestra and choir. I also have the Harnoncourt/Leonhardt set, which can often be difficult to listen to because of the quirky performances and boy soprano soloists. Koopman's performances are listenable, but never seemed to grab me. Koopman's set is still very pricey.

Some of these performances have never been bettered. I am especially fond of BWV 78 "Jesu, der du meine Seele". The alto--soprano duet is typical of what Richter brings to the recordings. His continuo performance is playful and inventive. BWV 12 "Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen" is hauntingly beautiful. Bach resurrected the eponymous choir in the B-minor mass, but I think it is even better here. Many of the performances have supperb soloists (Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Edith Mathis, and Peter Schreier), albeit perhaps a little bit operatic for current tastes, but not too much so.

Ultimately, even though this is not a complete set, these are the recordings I end up going back to (along with some of the earlier Gardiner recordings). Considering the price (~$80) this is a great purchase.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6