Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Profile for N. Adams > Reviews

Browse

N. Adams' Profile

Customer Reviews: 66

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

N. Adams "mama2two" RSS Feed (Eastern Washington)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Bzees Women's Flawless Wedge Pump, Black, 9.5 M US
Bzees Women's Flawless Wedge Pump, Black, 9.5 M US

4.0 out of 5 stars Like the comfort of these shoes - and the style ..., June 24, 2015
Like the comfort of these shoes - and the style - but already coming apart at the seams on the outside edge. Definitely didn't wear them out, so not sure why that's happening. Fit is true to size and stylish, sporty and comfortable. Not sure I'd purchase again just because of durability issue.

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, Book 1)
The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, Book 1)
by Suzanne Collins
Price: $11.16
582 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Real Page Turner, June 20, 2009
I loved this book ... A real page-turner. Great plot and story (somewhere a cross between Lord of the Flies, the TV show Survivor, and the movie The Running Man - with Romeo and Juliet thrown in for good measure). The writing isn't fantastic, but the characters are incredibly likeable, and like I said, the plot pace makes up for it.

This was a solid 4.5 stars for me. She had me up to the end, which was a bit frustrating. Not sure where the story is heading from here, so I will definitely be reading Book 2. I can see why it has won some awards. Strong story and great characters. Recommended.

Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10
by Marcus Luttrell
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
158 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Read, June 20, 2009
First, I have to start off that I'm a sucker for survival stories, especially the kind where you just really like the survivor. Marcus Luttrell is one of those that you just are rooting for from the very beginning. Underneath the bravado and the language in the book is a solid and well-written account of courage under fire in Afghanistan. But it's more than the actual event. Luttrell describes his Texas upbringing, his training to become a Navy SEAL, his experiences in Iraq and Afghanistan. and what he believes (including his thoughts and opinions on the US media and military).

Probably closer to 4.5 stars for me, but due to language and some weaker writing near the end, I will go with a 4. Still an excellent read. I really enjoyed it (and so did my husband)!

Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die
Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die
by Chip Heath
Price: $14.96
395 used & new from $3.08

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Useful Information, June 20, 2009
Normal people, with normal jobs, with great ideas that STICK. This is the premise of this well-written book about how and why some ideas work, and others fail. As someone who works with non-profits, I enjoyed this book alot, especially in light of its simplicity in presentation and ideas to assist in GETTING to a "sticky" idea - one that will work for whatever your aim may be. Lots of good tips, with great examples. Probably a bit on the dry side if you're not interested in marketing, but I enjoyed it very much. Lots of useful information that I will take with me.

The Post-American World
The Post-American World
by Fareed Zakaria
300 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Well Researched, June 20, 2009
This book is similar to the one that I reviewed earlier this year, America Alone, although much more intellectual (and far less witty). Much better researched and detailed than Mark Steyn's book, it detailed the same arguments: That America is not necessarily falling behind, but isn't acknowledging that other countries are catching up. Interesting arguments and concepts, and I especially enjoyed the parallels between the pre-World War I British empire, and the path that America treads today.

Like I said, a bit on the dry side, and I would say it's due to the subject matter, except that Steyn's book was much more entertaining on the same topic. Nonetheless, a good read, albeit a bit slow.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Quick, Fun Read, June 20, 2009
What can I say? It sucked me in (pun intended)! An R-rated version of Twilight, and inspiration for the HBO series True Blood, it was campy, edgy, weird and not especially well-written. And yet, I stayed up until 2 AM to finish it. Not sure what that says about me, but I did enjoy it. A refreshing departure from "deep" reads, and it was just a fun, vacation paperback.

American Wife: A Novel (Random House Reader's Circle)
American Wife: A Novel (Random House Reader's Circle)
by Curtis Sittenfeld
Price: $12.09
457 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars I Wish I Could Recommend It, June 20, 2009
This book started out so, so good, but then just degenerated into a bunch of diatribes that felt false, fake and set-up. Ostensibly based on the life of Laura Bush (although in a historical fiction kind of way), I found myself really enjoying the main character - be it the good, bad or whatever. She felt REAL. But then it just fell apart for me. It felt like the author set out to put in anything and everything that could have maybe happened (or had been "reported" to have happened) instead of remaining true to Laura/Alice. Sittenfeld spent the mid part of the book dealing with George's alcohol issue, but mostly in a tabloid kind of way. This is the way the rest of the book went. There was a paragraph that chronicled his rise from Governor to President. A paragraph. And while I realize this was about Laura, surely there could have been a better way to do this. It's a long book. There should have been a better transition, or time spent elsewhere that would have kept this reader's interest instead of dealing with the minutiae into details that, from all accounts, were not a big deal.

The ending was weak and didn't seem in character at all. Again, enjoyed the character development from the beginning, but it just felt like a chore about mid-way through. Not recommended.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2014 6:19 PM PST

Imperial Life in The Emerald City: Inside Iraq's Green Zone
Imperial Life in The Emerald City: Inside Iraq's Green Zone
by Rajiv Chandrasekaran
Price: $14.21
296 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, June 20, 2009
There are a lot of things to like here, but much that I take issue with. I really enjoyed the discussions of the media and economic situations that occurred while re-building Iraq (these subjects are generally not as "catchy" as others in the media, and therefore, I didn't know much about them). I also enjoyed the vignettes about life in the "Green Zone" - most of which were entertaining departures from the heavy subject matter.

What I take issue with is what I generally do in any partisan writing: To me, the use of "most" and "all" makes me wary of what you are reporting. Likewise with the manner in which you portray real people as decidedly one-sided (one guy says another guy didn't do a good job, and therefore, he didn't do a good job). Use of inflammatory language, that really lends no assistance in the story you are trying to tell, when describing people (example - "he worked for Enron, among other private companies ..." or "he ran a clinic that counseled young women not to have abortions"). All coalition personnel in Iraq were there only through nepotism (as if that doesn't happen in any Administration).

I am not a Bush Administration apologist, but am a conservative. I believe that there were definitely mistakes made in this war, and the subsequent nation building that has ensued. But to claim that it was nothing more than a "neo-conservative experiment in Iraq" frustrated me throughout this book. On the vast scale of what was being attempted here, there are going to be issues. But solely focusing on the bad, while willfully disregarding any good, is irresponsible. Again, this is why I get frustrated with partisan tomes (but, apparently, still make the choice to read them as I do appreciate learning and involving myself in the debate).

So, all in all, I would recommend it. For me, however, some of his conclusions, where I clearly was supposed to be appalled by the US, at times left me thinking: Um, so? I agree with that. What's wrong with that? Other times, I was irritated by US imperialism and lack of qualified personnel, which was clearly the conclusion I was supposed to draw. So, if you're a bit more open-minded than a far-right or far-left politico, you would probably like what this book has to offer.

The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume I: The Pox Party
by M. T. Anderson
Price: $8.20
225 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars An Ambivalent Review, June 20, 2009
I liked this book alot, but it would be hard to recommend. It's a different kind of story that evoked a quiet strength in the character and plot, but I didn't enjoy the parts that were told through another character's letters. It lost Octavian's voice in that part of the novel, which was disappointing. Overall, however, a great read about a well-educated "test subject" in the time of the American Revolution. A great piece of historical fiction that is humanized by the main character. A good book for discussion.

Elsewhere, U.S.A.: How We Got from the Company Man, Family Dinners, and the Affluent Society to the Home Office, BlackBerry Moms, and Economic Anxiety
by Dalton Conley
70 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Social Commentary, June 20, 2009
Along the lines of Freakonomics and The Tipping Point, but much more intellectual (and probably not quite as entertaining), I still thoroughly enjoyed Conley's social commentary on where we've been and what we're becoming. Most of his discussion is just that, commentary, so if you're looking for lots of statistics on what he posits, you won't find it here. Still, though, I did like his thoughts, and the socio-economic perspective. Hard to recommend, as his writing is a bit on the dry side. But if you liked Freakonomics and/or The Tipping Point, you would probably enjoy this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7