Profile for Reed Maxson > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 44

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Reed Maxson RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
2.5-inch SSD / HDD to 3.5-inch Bracket Mount Adapter
2.5-inch SSD / HDD to 3.5-inch Bracket Mount Adapter
Offered by goHardDrive
Price: $8.89

2.0 out of 5 stars Good hardware, plenty of screws, March 14, 2015
Pro: Good hardware, plenty of screws.

Cons: They do not fit my case, Antec 900, with a Crucial MX100 SSD. The brackets can be installed in various configurations, none of which fit my case. A suggestion is to install on one side only, but I would not recommend supporting the 2.5 inch drive on only one side. Instead, I did not use the bracket mount, I simply have the SSD sitting on the bottom of the case with no support.

Building the Perfect PC
Building the Perfect PC
by Robert Bruce Thompson
Price: $29.16
67 used & new from $10.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, Slightly Dated, February 9, 2015
Very good, although somewhat dated. There is an offer to update for about $5, but I didn't find exactly what the updates would include. With this technology a component that is a year or so old is outdated, so it's unreasonable to expect such a book to be up to date.

In any case, one could build a computer using the information in this book. But, as the authors mentioned, be sure to read the owners' manuals on the components you purchase, as the specific features of newer components will not be covered in an older book.

I built two computers 5 years ago and recently finished rebuilding one of them, and I used this book as a "refresher course." The photos are good, although my book was loaded on a black and white Kindle. What I liked very much is the fact that I was able to read the book on my computer with larger print and color photos. This is possible because there are no "locks" on this book. That in itself is worth at least one more star.

The motherboard they used for the medium computer was made in around 2009. Older motherboards, if they can be found, are often more expensive than when they were new, and more expensive than current boards. Same with the other components. So, expect to purchase new components, which will probably produce a better computer for you. But again, you should read the literature, as well as the book, since some details and layouts of the newer components will have changed.

The methods of building a new computer now are not that much different from 5 years ago, but some of the details have changed a bit. Nevertheless, this book will walk you through the process.

Lithonia FMML 7 840 M6 LED 7-Inch Round Flush Mount Light, White
Lithonia FMML 7 840 M6 LED 7-Inch Round Flush Mount Light, White
Price: $29.98
9 used & new from $21.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Kitchen Counter Lights, January 13, 2015
I replaced 18 inch florescent tube kitchen counter lighting with these. They provide much better light and don't buzz or flicker. The lights are mounted under hanging storage cabinets installed above the kitchen counter, so the fixtures are not usually seen by a person of average height. They are quite bright and would be somewhat uncomfortable to look at directly, but they are not seen in this case and they provide excellent work lighting. As with most light fixtures, they have three wires to connect and would normally be mounted on an existing junction box. They are quite easy to install, but they are not "screw in" bulbs, they are complete light fixtures and require at least a little knowledge of electrical fixtures to install them safely.

Soda PDF Professional
Soda PDF Professional
7 used & new from $36.85

2.0 out of 5 stars Humbugs!, January 7, 2015
This review is from: Soda PDF Professional (CD-ROM)
I got version 5 on sale. I hope version 7 is better, as there are many bugs in 5. Checking for updates in Help, I'm told that an update for version 5 is available, but the download button does not download an update, nor does it link to an update page other than to buy version 7. Only one bookmark can be added. After that the only option given is to remove the bookmark. The manual says to right click in the bookmark window to add bookmarks, but right clicking only gives the option to remove the one existing bookmark. The program does not recognize Open Office text files. I had to export the Open Office files to PDF, then open them in Soda, not exactly a "one click" conversion as Soda claims. When I tried to change some text font to Times New Roman, all I got was a bunch of squares and hash. I commonly run very robust, demanding programs on my computer and didn't expect any problems with running Soda. This software would be useful, and I did manage to create a pretty good looking document with text and photos, but not without a great deal of frustration and work-arounds, and the Help documentation is not very helpful. I am not likely to try the newer version until I know the bugs have been fixed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2015 4:02 PM PST

NSSTAR 2X Shock Resistance Ergonomic Design Durable Black TPR Rubber Bicycle MTB XC FR Handle Bar Red Anodized Aluminum Ends Plug Hand Grips Fit 3/4" To 1" Handlebar
Offered by on the way
Price: $6.99
21 used & new from $5.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Great! Except. . . ., December 15, 2014
Very nice grips. I had not seen this design before and was pleasantly surprised by how comfortable they are due to the shape which provides additional palm and wrist support.

A couple words of caution, however: it is advertized that they will fit 3/4" to 1" handlebars. My handlebar has an outside dimension of 7/8" or 2.225 centimeters, and the grips are very snug! I don't see how they could fit a 1" outside dimension handlebar, not only being too small, but also the screws provided are probably not long enough -- they are barely long enough for my 7/8" bar.

Also, it appears that the screws are stainless steel and are threaded into aluminum. I'm pretty sure the threads will strip out if tightened too much, as the aluminum is much softer than stainless. So, just tighten until snug.

I had to move my brake/shift levers in about an inch in order to install the grips, and the end plugs are quite difficult to insert.

I really do like these grips and would rate them at 5 stars except that the description seems to be a bit inaccurate, which will likely cause some problems. The price is good, too.

Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick
Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick
Price: $49.99
13 used & new from $49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Joystick, Good Price, October 18, 2014
My last good joystick, a Logitech WingMan Force Feedback, still works after about 12 years, but it's slowly wearing out. I've looked at several possible replacements and came across this Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X. The most helpful review to date is by gump92139 and, along with other reviews, convinced me to try the Thrustmaster. Gump's review has a good description and is well worth reading.

I'm very impressed and pleased so far. I have used it in FSX, mostly with the Carenado Cessna 340, but also with DodoSim's Bell Jet Ranger using the helicopter's most difficult and realistic settings. The Thrustmaster provided very stable control, and the DodoSim helicopter is one of the most difficult to fly. The stick has a very solid, positive feel.

From the photo, I was concerned about the ergonomics of the throttle – it looked like it might be uncomfortable to use. It might be a bit uncomfortable for some at first, but being able to separate it from the stick by about 18 inches in any direction allows for many different placements, at different levels from the stick, etc. I was surprised at how user friendly and comfortable it is.

And regarding user friendliness, as gump92139 described, I simply plugged it into a USB port and ready to go. The manual says to access the control panel to configure and test the joystick, but I didn't need to do that – it was ready to go simply by plugging it in. (I'm using Windows 7, 32 bit.)

However, during the first test “flight,” I accessed the settings in FlightSim X and made some changes in the button assignments, as well as adding a few assignments for the unused buttons: flaps, trim, views, etc. It's very easy and quick to do without exiting the simulator.

One minor complaint is that buttons 3 and 4 are placed on the stick opposite each other, 4 on the back right towards the operator, and 3 on the front right. I found myself pressing both buttons at the same time with the thumb and index finger. Since the trim wheels in many airplanes are on the pilot's right, I had assigned these buttons on the right for trim up and trim down – not good to press both together, but the placement and right hand grip seems to encourage pressing both buttons at once. Might have to reassign them, or just get used to the placements.

All in all, it's a fine HOTAS system at a very reasonable price.

The Social Network
The Social Network
DVD
Price: $9.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, July 28, 2014
It's a two hour movie. I don't know about the ending because at about two-thirds into the movie I thought, okay, I don't need to see any more of this. I thought it was tedious and contrived, padded with “footage” that should have ended up on the virtual floor of the editing room. The soundtrack was often unbalanced and obscured the dialogue. Sorry I spent the time and money on it.

Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Relevant History, July 4, 2014
Reza Aslan assembles over 20 years of research, providing a wealth of material which will very likely extend the understanding of Jesus and his times beyond the more common representations of who he was and how he became who he is now, or commonly thought to be. Undoubtedly, some readers will already have strong opinions and perhaps will be in disagreement with the author, even to the extent of citing the author's religious background as a way to discredit him. However, exercising his discipline as a scholar, Aslan provides extensive notes and bibliography which include works both supportive and in contrast to Aslan's work. I found the book especially interesting in light of current events in the Middle East, although some sections would perhaps be too detailed for some readers.
Comment Comments (16) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2014 9:01 PM PDT

Duty: Memoirs of a Secretary at War
Duty: Memoirs of a Secretary at War
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Insight to Current Events, June 20, 2014
Robert Gates served two administrations from opposing political parties. He has been criticized by some for publishing this memoir prior to the end of the current (Obama) administration. Having done so, however, increases the relevance of the memoir, as it is an excellent background to current events in Iraq, which very well could be a preview of what will unfold in Afghanistan.

Although having served in various government positions, Gates had left Washington only to return as something of an outsider, having to complete background checks, etc. His experiences both inside and outside Washington, and working with (or against) Congress, the Pentagon, the Veterans Administration, the bureaucracies, working for two presidents engaged in two wars, all give Secretary Gates a unique perspective which he brings to this memoir, and which should give readers insight into the current and past turmoil in the Middle East. Even with the tremendous difficulties and frustrations in serving as Secretary of Defense, Gates still managed to retain some humor, no doubt vital to this impossible job.

Histoire du Soldat (The Soldier's Tale) (arr. N. Mamangakis): The Soldier's March
Price: $0.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Great arrangement, May 18, 2014
I've always admired Stravinsky's work, this one a favorite. I would not have thought of making a guitar arrangement of this piece, but what a fine arrangement it is, and brilliant playing!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5