Profile for Bob > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bob RSS Feed (Atlanta, GA)

Page: 1 | 2
Unravelin' [Explicit]
Unravelin' [Explicit]
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful Debut Album, December 6, 2013
This review is from: Unravelin' [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
Delightful debut! Perfect for a road trip! If you're a fan of Lucinda Williams, Alison Krauss or even The Allman Brothers, don't miss out!

The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs
by Daniel Coyle
97 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, September 7, 2012
I applaud Tyler for writing his account. I must admit that I was at first duped by both Tyler's and then Floyd's denials. I believed that both had been railroaded by bad science. It is now clear that they both railroaded themselves by not being conscientious dopers. It is insane to think that Tyler was letting a guy with dementia handle his blood bags. Vaughters has a good observation in the book about how the doping doctors are not the all-stars of the medical field, but are instead the guys that washed out of normal MD jobs. Lance was lucky/smart to have Ferrari and Tyler was an idiot to continue to work with Fuentes.

Just as you would expect, Lance was not only the most fastidious about training, he was also the most fastidious doper. Kudos to him: not only did he manage to beat his fellow dopers on the road, but he also mostly managed to beat them at not getting caught. Of course the kind of laser focus on results that Lance displayed makes him sound like a complete psychopath. Tyler mentions a couple of times in the book that he felt sorry for Lance's inability to let anything in his life come even close in priority to winning--winning at everything. I too feel sorry for him; but I also long to see his get his just deserts--to see the big powerful bully get taken down. Alas, it is not to be...

Kindle Keyboard 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers
27 used & new from $87.29

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective Screen (Planned Obsolescence), February 19, 2012
The kindle was great while it worked. But this evening, I turned mine on and the screen was just a blur of lines. I called customer service and they said that sure enough it was broken. This was said with such confidence that it was clear that they get calls about broken screen all the time. I was even sparred the usually tech support rigmarole where you have to run through ten steps before they tell you it is broken. The rep did not have a moment of hesitation, and the slightest hint of uncertainty--it was broken. I bought my Kindle before it was released, so I have had it for about two years. This is apparently out of the warrantee period, so I was asked to pay $85 in replacement cost. However, it seems crazy that they are asking me to pay to replace a clearly faulty product.

I know tech products don't last forever--but asking for more than two years of functionality for a $189 product does not seem unreasonable to me. Especially since I now have another ~$200+ worth of books locked on my cooked device. It is hard to describe how frustrated I am with this slight. I literally buy everything that I purchase from Amazon, from cameras to streaming movies. I have an Amazon Prime membership. I write reviews that help sell Amazon products (see the Sonos S5 page). And I am reasonable person. But when my Netbook is going on five years without an issue and my cell phone is going on three years without and issue, it is not too much to ask for Amazon to right a wrong and replace a faulty product that only saw light use. I even suggested to the service rep that I would happily take the $79 Kindle, which is less than the $189-85 = $104 "discount" I was offered, as a replacement. But this offer was not accepted.

My offer is still open. If any Amazon people want to give me a hand, it would be much appreciated.

_______

Update, Amex refunded the full $189 because I was within double the manufacturer's warranty period. I took Amazon up on the $85 offer and actually netted $104, so it all worked out. However, I am still slightly angry at Amazon for such taking such a cavalier postion towards customers over a clear product defect.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 20, 2012 5:01 AM PST

Fotodiox Nikon Macro Extension Tube Kit for Nikon Cameras, Extreme Close-ups
Fotodiox Nikon Macro Extension Tube Kit for Nikon Cameras, Extreme Close-ups
Price: $12.20
5 used & new from $3.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, January 23, 2012
I initially hesitated in buying these extension tubes for several reasons:
1) I had never used extension tubes before and wasn't sure what the results would be
2) They are so cheap and some reviewers complained about the quality, that I was worried that they would fall apart.

But, for $8, I decided to give them a go and the verdict is that they are awesome. $8? Are you kidding me. The extension tubes are made of metal and feel robust. It is easy to screw and unscrew various combinations and it is also easy to mount the tubes to a lens/camera. I am not sure why people the mounting/screwing is a problem. Also, the people who buy these without a manual aperture-ring lens need to do a little checking before bashing the product. These tubes will not work unless you can change the aperture of your lens manually without the lens connected to the camera. That means it will not work with a Nikon kit lens. Or even most of the more recent Nikon lens line (18-200, for instance, will not work). Any Nikon camera can handle these, but you have to make sure you have the right lens.

As far as the pictures go, I have been able to get some amazing macro shots. I mostly use the tubes with my Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras (which is also a screaming deal), although I have also used the tubes with my Rokinon 85M-C 85mm F1.4 Aspherical Lens for Canon (Black). I prefer the 50mm because it is the lighter lens and with the extension tubes, an extra 35mm of reach isn't really necessary. You do have to manually focus, but this is not a big deal. We are not talking about action photography here. Also, since the focal range is so limited, I find myself focusing by simply moving my camera towards and away from the subject.

I was surprised to find that you can no longer focus to infinity with the extension tubes attached. In fact, you really can't focus on an object more than a foot or two away depending on how much extension you use. Also, at f1.8, the DoF is so shallow as to not be useful for most pictures. I find myself usually up above f8, which ends up requiring a flash indoors. Even at f8, the DoF is on the order of an inch.

If you have ever wanted to take some insanely close up (macro) pictures, these tubes along with a compatible 50mm lens, should be your first stop. Forget about specialty macro lens for $500+, that just seems silly.

Dorman 38438 HELP! Door Hinge Pin and Bushing Kit
Dorman 38438 HELP! Door Hinge Pin and Bushing Kit
Price: $7.94
30 used & new from $4.81

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, December 30, 2011
Got two of these to fix my sagging thunderbird driver's side door. To install, I had to use a sawsall to take out the old pins, then unscrew the hinge from the door, and bore a slightly larger hole (with a 1/2 inch drill bit) to accommodate the bushings in this kit. After that, I simply reassembled everything and the door was fixed! The stock bushing are total crap, and are much thinner than the bushings in the kit--hence the need to expand the holes in the door hinge. Also, I was initially unsure this would fix the problem, but it worked perfectly. The whole job took about three hours, but I could probably do it in 30 minutes now that I know how it is done.

Vivitar 285HV Flash for SLR Cameras (Black)
Vivitar 285HV Flash for SLR Cameras (Black)
Offered by NEXT GEN
Price: $95.90
22 used & new from $41.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Flash, November 26, 2011
I have two of these and a sb700. I really like the sb700 for on camera flash work, but I find myself reaching for the vivitar anytime I need to fill a room with light or if I am not in a time-pressure shooting situation. It has more power than the sb700 and the batteries seem to last much longer. If you want to give off camera flash photography a try on a budget, I would forgo the high-end Nikon/Canon flashes altogether and grab one of these. All of that metering intelligence is not worth an extra couple hundred dollars.

Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Offered by Woodward Camera USA
Price: $131.95
53 used & new from $92.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, March 6, 2011
Excellent lens! I can't believe I screwed around with a kit lens for so long when this thing is so excellent and so cheap.

SONOS PLAY:5 Wireless Speaker for Streaming Music (White)
SONOS PLAY:5 Wireless Speaker for Streaming Music (White)
Price: $399.00
32 used & new from $315.00

5.0 out of 5 stars As Advertised!, November 18, 2009
I just purchased the s5 with a zone bridge and the CR200. The combination is absolutely amazing. Installation was easy and operation is intuitive. There is plenty out there on how these things work, so I won't go into details on that. But I do have two observations to share:

1) In addition to the s5, I also picked up a NAS drive so that I could stream my 5000+ track mp3 library. After all, streaming my collection with a touch screen remote was one of the main reason I looked at Sonos in the first place. But, after setting Sonos up I decided to give Napster a try. The Napster/Sonos combination gives you access to 8 million tracks on demand. For example, Napster has over 60 Bob Dylan albums, which is pretty much his whole discography. If you want to sample the latest (obscure) music, Napster also has most of the albums Pitchfork reviewed this week--pretty neat.

So, despite my deep investment in my personal mp3 collection, it only took me a couple of minutes to realize that it was completely obsolete. Deciding between $5/month for a 8 million track library vs. a $200 NAS for my 5000 track library was a no-brainier. The NAS got packed up and sent back; my mp3s are now strictly for iPod use.

2) As an NPR fan, the other great feature I didn't realize Sonos included is the ability to search and play archived NPR shows. From the Splendid Table to Fresh Air, it is all there on demand--awesome.

_____________
Two-year update: This thing is still going strong. We use it everyday to catch up on NPR or listen to the latest releases via Napster. For instance, just yesterday, I read a review of the new Sigur Ros album and 10 seconds after finishing the review, I had the album streaming through my S5 with a few touches of the controller. I also find it extremely useful to be able to listen to non-local radio stations. If we sleep in and want to catch Morning Edition, or get home late and want to catch Marketplace, we just tune into Wyoming Public Radio (we are in Atlanta) and presto. (While the NPR shows are archived, they are usually not accessible until one day after broadcast).

Another note is that I have downloaded the Android App, which works very well. The only slight frustration is that it takes my phone a few minutes to ramp up the WiFi connection. Because of this, I still almost exclusively use the CR200 or my laptop to control the music. I'd say the CR200 is worth the expense in order to have a dedicated controller that always works without delay.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 1, 2014 12:48 PM PDT

GARMIN 010-11011-00 Nuvi Handlebar Mount
GARMIN 010-11011-00 Nuvi Handlebar Mount
Price: $17.19
3 used & new from $15.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, March 23, 2009
I received a Nuvi as a gift and was impressed with its performance in the car. But, as a competitive cyclist (category 2), I was intrigued at the possibility of foregoing a wired computer for my new road bike. The Nuvi has a screen that displays all of the pertinent information (speed, moving time, total time, max speed, ave speed, etc.) and a battery that will carry me through my longest rides (~5 hours) when the screen brightness is set below 30%.

So, I decided to see what types of bike mounts were available. And, despite the expense of Garmin's offering, I gave it a try. I have been riding with the setup for 2 months now and am extremely happy with it. The Nuvi is not going anywhere when it is locked in to the mount (I have done group rides, road races and crits with the Nuvi locked to my stem). I highly recommend this mount combined with a Nuvi; the combination is more functional than Garmin's bike GPSs at a fraction of the cost. In fact, I just ordered another mount for my TT bike.

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln
Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln
by Doris Kearns Goodwin
Price: $14.28
751 used & new from $1.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read, November 23, 2006
Great book. Goodwin is a captivating writer, who makes the inner workings of Lincoln's cabinet an interesting read. She is my favorite presidential biographer and this is one of her best books.

Page: 1 | 2