Profile for Carmen Adorno > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 44

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Carmen Adorno RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Dominique Ansel: The Secret Recipes
Dominique Ansel: The Secret Recipes
by (Chef) Dominique Ansel
Price: $20.47
123 used & new from $2.66

5.0 out of 5 stars The Baking Buddha!, December 7, 2014
I am a Buddhist and I have lived for 5 years in a Buddhist Community in the country side. When finally I got out, back to big city I was a little tired and disappointed with many aspects of the "organized religions" in general. That was exactly when I decided to take some baking classes, to chill out from the 5 years of meditative immersion. I was going through some kind of Buddhist overdose and I was incapable of reading one more buddhist book.

Baking represents the search of perfection for me. You have to be present, you have to have skills, creativity and generosity. Usually you bake to please others, loved ones, family or friends. I enjoyed my baking period a lot. it was very relaxing and creative. For me, baking is a kind of meditation with no strings attached.

On my birthday, this month, I received Dominique Ansel's book from a friend. I opened at page 98 - A Tart from a Dream: "In our dreams we can be anyone, and anywhere, we want to be. We control time, space, and the sequence of events. And everything, no matter how outlandish it may seem when we wake, feels completely natural. Dream worlds do not follow the rules of reality, and what takes place there is often improbable. But impossible? That's another question entirely." Than I opened on page 33 - Don't Listen: "The world speaks only to what has already happened: tales of those who have already succeeded, those who have already failed. Advice is based on history rather than possibility. And only when you stop listening do you stop imitating and start creating." Suddenly I was in tears! Crying of joy! This is a Buddhist Teachings Book! It was so moving to read Mr. Ansel's personal experiences. His thoughts, his advices and his life wisdom were exactly what I needed at the right time. I can tell it was a life shifting book for me, from a spiritual point of view.

The baking point of view, the book is incredible! Beautifully printed, with characters in a good size for reading, the book is divided in two parts: Inspirations and Recipes. The Recipes block is divided in three: Beginner, intermediate and advanced. At the end you will find the Additional Techniques. Recipes are very detailed, including special tools and a timeline. I am looking forward to try some of them. After that I will be able to complete my review properly. I promise I will come back to it!

As my last remark I would like to say that baking is also a path to perfection , a kind of meditation and, thanks to Insights Mr. Ansel , for me his book was a return back to the right track.

Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream Desserts
Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream Desserts
by Jeni Britton Bauer
Price: $19.02
99 used & new from $4.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Splendid!, November 9, 2014
I bought both books, Jeni's Ice Cream and Jeni's Desserts. First of all, the books size is just perfect. Not too big, not too small, not too heavy, really good to use in the kitchen. The pics are so enticing that I felt the urge to try at least one of them immediately! I live in a Buddhist Temple in Brazil and, sometimes I go to the kitchen as a volunteer to make desserts for the staff. Some of them do not eat anything with milk, eggs, even sugar... so it is really challenging to please Greeks and Trojans! I made the Macaroon Cake, from Jeni's Desserts because I had lots of almond powder at home and... it was a huge success! There is also a Rice flour cake - Mochi Cake - that I know will please them all. Right now it is summer time here and I am waiting my ice cream maker arrival next week in order to try the "sans lait" ice creams for them! Last but not least, about the flavors: this are not ice creams meant for children. This are ice creams made for foodies! Very sophisticated and worldly! For my nephew and niece I will continue to do ice cream with an egg basis, but for my adult guests and for me it will be Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream throughout the summer!

Sweet and Vicious: Baking with Attitude
Sweet and Vicious: Baking with Attitude
by Libbie Summers
Price: $26.85
48 used & new from $16.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Baking in the Kitchen of the Brave!, September 12, 2014
I bought this book elsewhere. It arrived yesterday and I absolutely wanna bake all recipes!

I did the Virgin Cake, so sophisticated, light and simple at the same time.
Everybody who tasted the cake said that it was the best almond cake they ever ate in their lives and asked me for the recipe!

But the best part of the book is, with no doubt, Libbie's WIT! It is an absolute delight to read her introductory tales!

Next adventures: The Best Red Velvet Cake, Wahini Pie and Chewy Chocolate Bread! To be continued...

Carnets de cuisine: du Perigord a l'Elysee
Carnets de cuisine: du Perigord a l'Elysee
by Danièle Mazet-Delpeuch
4 used & new from $38.45

4.0 out of 5 stars A Woman of Substance!, July 21, 2014
I bought this book already knowing it was written in French. I lived in France for many years, so, no problem here. This book tells the tale of an amazing woman, that in order to raise her four kids and save her family farm and for the sake of keeping French culinary tradition alive was not afraid to learn how to cook, to learn another language (English), to travel around the world, to working tirelessly for endless hours and win with bravery the battle against her own timidity. Madame Mazet-Delpeuch is an example to all women around the world, a woman generous enough to transmit all her knowledge and humble enough to learn in all situations presented by life, with "savoir faire", "panache" and "joie de vivre"! It was not by chance that circumstances made of her the cook of Francois Mitterrand. It is really a pity that some of the recipes are not fully explained but for good cook half a word is enough!

Patisserie at Home: Step-By-Step Recipes to Help You Master the Art of French Pastry
by Will Torrent
Price: $22.51
58 used & new from $14.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Desserts made simple!, March 26, 2014
On her cookbook's introduction, "What Katie Ate", Katie Quinn Davies describes her husband Nick arriving home just to find her crying on her frustrated macaron's attempts! Well, she would buy Will Torrents' Patisserie cookbook! I understand her frustration and sorrow because, like her, I did lose my macaron mixture so many times... But no more! There is still hope! This book is gorgeous, with plenty of beautiful pictures and easy to do recipes explained step by step. French Patisserie is so well explained by this young - and great - pastry chef master, his instructions are so clear and detailed that you will achieve excellent results and recover your enthusiasm. Maybe you will even try to do macarons once again! He also offers us great new ideas to "épater les bourgeois" (your guests), such as the mango and passion fruit Tarte Exotique. All you need to go to the pastry next level is on that book! Simple and sophisticated desserts at the same time! Can't wait to have his Chocolate Cookbook! Soon...

What Katie Ate: Recipes and Other Bits and Pieces
What Katie Ate: Recipes and Other Bits and Pieces
by Katie Quinn Davies
Price: $28.44
70 used & new from $9.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy Katie's Creative Culinary & Photography, March 26, 2014
Like Rachel Khoo, Katie Quinn Daves knows how to tell a good story. That is what is the most attractive to me when I choose a new cookbook. Katie photos are great, the dishes looks simple and delicious and the recipes are crystal clear - no worries there! I also love the brit Jamie Oliver and his quick and simple home cooking. Katie achieves the same effect: as Jamie, you can trust that Katie will teach you how to be a better cook. She will guide you through new and tasty recipes to cook for family and friends in a very, very attractive cookbook. Her life & professional history are an invitation to be bold, both in life as in the kitchen. Her blog is also great, with plenty of beautiful pics of food and places, and new recipes to try at home.

The Little Paris Kitchen: 120 Simple But Classic French Recipes
The Little Paris Kitchen: 120 Simple But Classic French Recipes
by Rachel Khoo
Price: $23.49
89 used & new from $10.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Vine, Vide e Vincci!, March 26, 2014
I am a Rachel Khoo's fan. I love her TV show and now I got my hands on her book. It makes french cooking easy, with a splash of youth! I have a very small kitchen, as Rachel does, so she really inspired me to cook more, despite the size of the place... and she really makes all the great French dishes easy! If you have a cooktop and a countertop oven, you are ready to go! I have lived in Paris for 4 years and seeing Rachel - that did not speak French at all when she arrived there - being so brave, living her home country to go to the Cordon Bleu in Paris, to get her degree as a Pastry Chef - and she achieved so much more! SHe is an inspiration for "young" people from 17 to 71! Great book, easy to cook and well explained recipes! Most of all, great life example to follow. Sweet, determined girl!

Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments
Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments
by David Lebovitz
Price: $17.98
80 used & new from $6.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, January 10, 2014
I bought this book as a gift to my sister on her birthday.

She had just got a Kitchen Aid Ice Cream maker from her husband, so I thought it would be perfect.

Indeed, it was!

I have another wonderful dessert book from David Lebovitz, "Ready for Dessert", so I knew I would not be disappointed!

Fantastic recipes, beautiful photos and the book has just the perfect size! It is not just another table book, you really take it to the kitchen and use it, again and again.

The Cajeta ice cream is a dream come true! It is soooo good!

Now I have to buy another Perfect Scoop, this time for me!

The New Pâtissiers
The New Pâtissiers
by Olivier Dupon
Price: $41.49
41 used & new from $34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase for bold people, January 8, 2014
This review is from: The New Pâtissiers (Hardcover)
I got this book as a Christmas gift.

This is not the average baker cookbook. This is a professional book. I am an experienced baker, but not a professional baker.

That said, I am totally mesmerized by this book!

So many recipes of so many great pastry chefs join together!

This book, for me, is a guide for new textures and new flavors.

You do not need to do all the recipe. You can do only parts of them, like the Red Miso Bavaroise (page 215). You can use the Yusu White Chocolate Ganache on page 213 to fill a macaron. You can do an Ibiscus Jelly (page 237) to embellish a simple panna cotta recipe.

This book is a source of new ideas for any professional or amateur baker/patissier!

I particularly enjoyed Emily Miranda, an artist/cake maker that makes you think out of the box!

Great book for the courageous and generous ones. You always have to have in mind that the best ingredients leeds to the best results and that is not cheap!

Sweet
Sweet
by Valerie Gordon
Price: $25.52
59 used & new from $9.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Joy, no stress included!, January 8, 2014
This review is from: Sweet (Hardcover)
I won this cookbook, Sweet, as a birthday gift.

As soon as you see the cover, you know you're about to meet some excellent recipes.

Indeed, as soon as I opened this book I knew it was one of the best cookbooks I have ever seeing! For someone that enjoys baking, there is plenty of new ideas!

I am an experienced home baker and I use to do plenty of cakes for my family and friends on birthdays, Christmas parties, etc, but absolutely anyone with average experience on baking can do any of Valerie's recipes, so clear and straightforward are her explanations.

A cookbook must always be a conversation between author and reader.

Valerie Gordon tells us how she came to have her current bakery with lots of charm and grace. When you buy this book you do not only get a cookbook, you get a very good friend that will guide you to the perfect result!

The recipes are very well-written and precise and the photos on this book are good enough to get you into the kitchen and make you start cooking!

Measurements are given in both weight and volume so your preferences will be accommodated.

The book is divided in sections: celebration desserts, everyday cakes, pies and tarts, chocolates and confections, desserts to eat with a spoon, cookies and bars, jams and marmalades, breakfast and snacks to eat on the go, and resources.

Valerie gives us an explanation on some key uncommon ingredients in her recipes, such as: crème fraiche, nuts flours, atomized chocolate, and a two page list of equipments that are useful in a baking kitchen. She also gives us advice on how to mix cakes and fillings, so you can make your own creations.

All that said, I also have to point out that there is a missing instruction on the Champagne Cake (cover). They forgot one step: you have to mix the melted gelatin to the warm white chocolate mix. That must be an editing mistake that should be corrected on the next edition!

Thank you Valerie Gordon for this amazing book!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5