Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for John W. Shoemaker > Reviews

Browse

John W. Shoemaker's Profile

Customer Reviews: 31

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

John W. Shoemaker "Intuitive John" RSS Feed (Tallahasee, FL USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
RicoRich Bluetooth FM Transmitter for Car, Car Radio Bluetooth Adapter ,Cell Phone Bluetooth Car Kits with Dual USB Charger,FM Stereo MP3 Player Bluetooth Receiver with Handsfree Calling
Offered by RicoRich
Price: $39.99
2 used & new from $15.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Never worked like I wanted it too, July 10, 2016
Maybe it's just me..or the idea of broadcasting to an open fm station doesn't really work...but
I never got it to to work right. And would not stay tight in my cigarette lighter hole. (Other
accessories I use there don't have that problem.)

Stanley 33-835 35-Foot Powerlock Tape Rule
Stanley 33-835 35-Foot Powerlock Tape Rule
Price: $15.96
67 used & new from $13.89

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Hold Up...Two months old and breaks so it can't be fixed., July 10, 2016
I liked the size and length...and price was fine. I use a tape to measure
outside dimensions for roof sales...and it was okay.

I immediately noticed the the tape lock was awkward and stiff. Hard to
unlock and lock. Not terrible. But not smooth

Then yesterday the tip fell off and the tape wound into the body...so useless to me.

The Pickup: A Novel
The Pickup: A Novel
by Nadine Gordimer
Price: $12.48
82 used & new from $3.00

4.0 out of 5 stars "Boy Meets Girl (actually Girl Meets Boy)" with contemporary South African/Arab twists...Good...but not good to the last drop., July 10, 2016
This review is from: The Pickup: A Novel (Paperback)
In many ways, it's basically a "Boy Meets Girl (actually Girl Meets Boy) story. And the girl could be easily summarized as a privileged starlet in her south African world...semi slumming but in no real danger of not having all her needs met in life.

What makes it interesting is how the author presents the situations. For instance short two and three page bursts and snippets of conversation around "The Table"...a local hangout for loose group of friends. That structure allows for so much in such a short space. Well done.

The book flies along for the first half. Creates an empathy among the characters...not just conflicts or judgments. Drew me right in. And normally i would have tossed a book like that right away. Poor little rich girl...first world conflicts with self...boring. But it somehow kept me going. And shows that life can be dreary anywhere in the world.

The second act is interesting but does not keep the interest or the pace. Paints a fine portrait of third world living. But lost it's steam for me. In fact, at one point I hoped the book ended abruptly without tying up the loose ends. But I dutifully finished.

HP 920XL Black High Yield Original Ink Cartridge (CD975AN#140)
HP 920XL Black High Yield Original Ink Cartridge (CD975AN#140)
Offered by Salk Trading
Price: Click here to see our price
23 used & new from $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Always buy the largest size ink you can ...., March 20, 2016
I buy the large size for convenience....this comes fast and price is right!.

And since I do all my printing in B&W...this is great

WizGear Universal Air Vent Magnetic Car Mount Holder with Fast Swift-Snap Technology for Smartphones and Mini Tablets, Black
Offered by Upper Class Sales
Price: $11.99
4 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Far better than I expected...solved lots of phone problems for me...a bargain., March 20, 2016
Who would have guessed that such a tiny thing could make life so much easier
and convenient.

This gives a solid platform to hook my phone too...much stronger than
I ever expected. I also had a doubt that my a/c vent would be stable.
Wrong.

Eliminated several problems.

1) Now I always know where my phone is...instead of searching for it.
2) Solid platform so I can make calls, etc easily.
3) Put my GPS/Google Maps function in my line of site...easy to follow.

wonderful tool!

Better Call Saul Season 2
Better Call Saul Season 2
Price: $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Invitation to pure pleasure in tv show, March 15, 2016
Stimulating. Engrossing. Genuine characters. And the evil attorneys are a powerful nemesis for Saul's drive to just be himself. (The attorneys are not necessarily evil in themselves. They're no Wolfram &Hart. But they represent the banality of conformity.)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2016 9:44 PM PDT

Hooking Up
Hooking Up
by Tom Wolfe
Price: $14.43
225 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful reading....takes apart the snobbyness of several insular worlds without rancor..but perspective, March 7, 2016
This review is from: Hooking Up (Paperback)
I was lured in by the title.."Hooking Up"

Thought it would be a review or expose or maybe even the thoughtful and
erudite commentary I enjoy so much from Wolfe.

The Hooking Up was minor.

But the rest of the articles were insightful and a pleasure to read. The kind
of "I hope this doesn't end" pleasure.

I don't need to go into details. If you love his writing, you'll love this book.

PS I wish the whole book would have been full of such wonders. A big part was
the reprint of a former book. And the last part where he reprinted an old feud
with the New Yorker was dull.

Tusk
Tusk
Price: $12.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this movie at all costs, December 6, 2015
This review is from: Tusk (Amazon Video)
I thoroughly enjoy all of Smith's movies. So I watched this. Interesting movie. Draws you in little by little. Smary douchebag podcast hipster gets his comeuppance. All good. Kind of entertaining.

But the way it happens and the visuals are so disturbing they stick to me still. He purposely sets the stage for the horror of the whole situation to worms its way into your mind.lnd I watch most horror and gore without being affected. Not a particularly good movie. But memorable for all the wrong reasons.

If you're a bug Smith fan and want to watch it anyway...you've been warned.

Red Oaks
Red Oaks

3.0 out of 5 stars Some laughs..it might grow on you, December 2, 2015
This review is from: Red Oaks (Amazon Video)
Not clever enough. Some laughs...it might grow on you.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Stunning. Mind Blowing truly a word to describe this movie. Magical., November 23, 2015
If you liked "Adaptation"...you'll love this too.

So few movies are truly original. It's an old story..Boy Meets girl, Boy loses girl (watch their relationship disintegrate before your very eyes!) Does boy want girl back? I don't know if you can call their relationship love. But decide for yourself.

Each scene is a mini-masterpiece in itself. You don't even recognize Jim Carey. What a sad sack, lost...wandering...clueless but wanting love so badly. And his counterpoint in love...absorbing and vile in many ways. But it works so well.

And the way it's filmed...the visual twists and disintegration of life, and houses and memories. Magical.

If you don't like "complicated" movies...avoid at all costs. But if you recognize original and magical...this could become one of those you can keep in your pocket and pull out when you want to be dazzled. If you like this, watch Adaptation too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4