Profile for I. Jamaluddin > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 36

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

I. Jamaluddin RSS Feed (Chicago, IL)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Math Workout for the New GRE, 2nd Edition (Graduate School Test Preparation)
Math Workout for the New GRE, 2nd Edition (Graduate School Test Preparation)
by Princeton Review
66 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Error-filled, a regrettable purchase, June 23, 2012
The first error I encountered was on page 25, for an example word problem. If they didn't catch an error on page 25, they certainly didn't catch it further down the line. I would not recommend buying this book. I hope other check the reviews of GRE prep books before they buy. It's SHAMEFUL how high up the GRE Test Guides list this book is. Unfortunately I bought this book at a bookstore in a different city so I can't return it as easily as I can on Amazon.com.

Do not buy this book. While I haven't checked out Kaplan or Barron's or other GRE Math Prep books, I would hope they are of much better quality than this one.

Noble Mount Simple Classic Everyday Hobo/Handbag - Colors Available
Noble Mount Simple Classic Everyday Hobo/Handbag - Colors Available
Offered by Crystal Collection
Price: $30.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Easily worn, January 25, 2012
I bought this handbag as a Christmas gift off a wishlist for a family member. When she opened it she was very pleased about the size and inside of the bag. However, within one week of using it the leather started tearing badly . Amazon refunded the purchase easily when my sister sent it back and now she'll use the money to buy her own handbag. I would not recommend this bag for others, since the tears appear on the outside and that is not presentable or professional looking.

Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman (Vintage International)
Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman (Vintage International)
by Haruki Murakami
Price: $12.97
108 used & new from $3.43

4.0 out of 5 stars Introduction to Haruki Murakami, June 1, 2008

This...more I had intended to write a tiny blurb about each short story, then how I felt about each of them. However, some of them are so short or seem plot-less that I felt like I'd be giving spoilers away for them just trying to write a short overview!

This is the first book by Huraki Murakami that I've read. I was recommended The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle back in 2005 but I've never picked it up. I think a collection of short stories is a good way to introduce myself to Murakami, especially as I'm told his stories tend to be magical-realism and I sometimes have a hard time grasping and enjoying such stories. (I tend to be too literal and plot-driven from A to B to C.) I bought this book while in the Amsterdam Schiphol and while overpriced (if you convert it), it was a pleasant read.

That said, some of the stories here felt like it felt frizzled out at the end and had no point. Sometimes I felt like a twist/unresolved ending was thrown in at the end just to frazzle us readers.

Some stories evoke neutral feelings in me. I neither disliked them, nor particularly did they stick in my mind.

Others yet I quite enjoyed. :) They are "Birthday Girl," "Airplane," "The Mirror," "A Folklore For My Generation: A pre-history of late-stage capitalism," "Hunting Knife," "Man-Eating Cats," "Nausea 1979," "The Seventh Man," "Tony Takitani" (a rather heart-breaking story) and the last five stories: "Chance Traveler" (another heart-breaking story, but in a good way, a favorite), "Hanalei Bay" (the female protagonist is a very strong character), "Where I'm Likely to Find It" (a rare story where I'm happy not knowing what had happened to a character), "The Kidney-Shaped Stone That Moves Every Day" (I like the two storylines somewhat juxtaposed next to each other) and "The Shinagawa Monkey" (which I think is another favorite).

Working It (Harlequin Blaze, 89)
Working It (Harlequin Blaze, 89)
by Cathy Yardley
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
46 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining erotic read, June 1, 2008
I picked up this book after hearing news of my aunt's death, less than 24 hours of seeing her in the hospital. It was one of the books in the boxes in my parents' house (we haven't unpacked). I needed something to distract me. Unfortunately it took me a few days to concentrate to read and finish any book.

It's been a while since I've read erotica that was based in the "here and now" and isn't fantasy based. The story is of a PR consultant (a green-eyed redhead named "Jade" of course) working with the president of a floundering steel company (Drew) whose previous president (his father) embezzled money and ran away to some warm tropical place. She accompanies him on a three-week road trip to meet his clients and try to teach him something about sales. Of course, there's attraction and they have sex several times.

Reading the name "Jade" a first few times irked me because of another Jade I knew (of) who only had bad memories associated with her, but over time I got over it. This Jade is a much stronger, loyal and nicer character than the real-life Jade I knew.

Of course there's a happy ending, though some bumps along the way. It's a little trite how Jade gets her "revenge" for something done to her by her boss (or at least a foreshadowing of it) because it seems somewhat contrived. But overall, the read was good sizzling fluff. :P I also appreciated the realness of the sex scenes where the characters were concerned about protection and stopped to take care of that.

Mirror Image (Zodiac: Gemini)
Mirror Image (Zodiac: Gemini)
by Jahnna N. Malcolm
10 used & new from $6.36

4.0 out of 5 stars An alright light read, May 31, 2008
"Gemini: Sensitive, Unpredictable

Gabrielle is desperate, her behavior erratic. Someone is tormenting her, or is it her imagination? Is she the victim of a split personality? Or is a ghost from the past driving her insane?"

As a Gemini myself, I looked forward to reading this book. I was 9 or 10 when I read this book, more than a decade ago. I can say now it's a slightly campy, predictable light horror book, but back then I liked it for its drama, and sadness Gabrielle experienced. I suppose it is a "stereotype" of a what a Gemini would be, but hey, that's what the series is about!

The Autobiography of Malcolm X (As told to Alex Haley)
The Autobiography of Malcolm X (As told to Alex Haley)
by Malcolm X
Price: $20.98
97 used & new from $1.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Strongly written about a fascinating life, May 31, 2008
An excellent unflinching book about Malcolm X read for my "Understanding Religious Traditions in Multicultural America" last spring. While at times unnerving to read due to its stark honesty, it was very illuminating. As a non-American, it really helped give me further insight into how powerful and tense race is of an issue in American culture. As someone born into a Muslim family, but is a closet agnostic, the perversions I felt Elijah Muhammad perpetuated made me severely uncomfortable anyway. Several parts of this book made me cry, or be wistful I could somehow have found peace in Islam as Malcolm X did.

A very good book.

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicle)
The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicle)
by Patrick Rothfuss
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
127 used & new from $2.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Took a few pages to get into, but can't wait for the sequel!, May 31, 2008
Some passages are excellently written - I passed them onto a friend because I found them that exciting - and the characters are entertaining. However, it does take a while to get into Kvothe's story, as opposed to Kote's life and while the questions surrounding the innkeeper's life are a bit interesting, they weren't what I was looking for. However, once it finally captures your attention, it is excellent reading material while in airports and on the flight! It's not very heavy on the magic (known as "sympathy" in the book) and fantastic elements, though a character is a member of the Fae. I hope the rest of the trilogy delves into it, then!

Pretties (Uglies Trilogy, Book 2)
Pretties (Uglies Trilogy, Book 2)
by Scott Westerfeld
426 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Strongest book of the series so far, May 31, 2008
It's most unfortunate I read this book *after* I read the other three books in the series. (This book wasn't available in my library until recently.) I found this book to have a much stronger storyline than most of the other books, as well as the most enriching and growing characterization, particularly for Shay. I felt she grew much more in this book than in the third one. Also, the intensity of the relationship between Zane and Tally was a strong point and was a nice conflicting point when they met David/Tally remembered about David.

P.S. I Love You (Sweet Dreams)
P.S. I Love You (Sweet Dreams)
by Barbara Conklin
19 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Memorable book, May 31, 2008
I read this book more than a decade ago. It belonged to my cousin and I would raid her bookshelf ever time I went to her house.

I've read several Sweet Dreams series book, but this is the only one whose title I remember. It's a tear-jerker, and even though at 9 years old I was too young to know about boyfriends and girlfriends and those types of relationships, I could still empathize with Mariah's pain.

I wish I had a copy of this book. It's very memorable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2014 6:30 PM PST

Touching Darkness (Midnighters #2)
Touching Darkness (Midnighters #2)
by Scott Westerfeld
Price: $7.03
175 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A better book than the preceding one, May 31, 2008
I found this book to be more complex and mature compared to the first. There are additional characters, as well as fleshing out not only the five Midnighters, but also friends and family. Westerfeld introduces us to parents/families besides Jessica's, which is refreshing. Relationships and bonds are made, tested, and sometimes broken but it really moves the characters and story ahead. A good read before heading to bed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4