Profile for Bradley Tobin > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 252

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bradley Tobin RSS Feed (Penrith, Sydney NSW Australia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Trepanation
Trepanation
6 used & new from $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If u ain't heard this.. U ain't heard AHC!!, January 17, 2005
This review is from: Trepanation (Audio CD)
American Head Charge are the ultimate heavy metal band of our time. It may have been a while since they're debut.. But i've heard "The Feeding" and it Kicks the Proverbial behind. Any head charge fan worth his salt would and should have heard this, but for those who haven't .. firstly.. shame on you.. Secondly.. Do it now. I know that you may have heard half the songs on it.. But the ones you haven't are up there with the best. "To Taste Acid" and "Pretty Face are my 2 favorite AHC songs.. Period. Do yourself the worlds Biggest favor and get this cd.. It is the beginning of the AHC revolution.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2013 5:20 PM PDT

Queen of the Damned
Queen of the Damned
Offered by Great Price Media
Price: $9.21
78 used & new from $0.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally.. The Ultimate Soundtrack is upon us., February 19, 2002
This review is from: Queen of the Damned (Audio CD)
When I heard that Jonathon Davis was writing 5 songs for the "Queen of the Damned" soundtrack.. Sure, i was excited, but i had no idea that it would turn out this brilliant. The five songs that he wrote have rapidly become 5 of my all time favourites. Everything about them, mood, lyrics.. It all fits a discontent Vampire like Lestat perfectly. In the process of writing these songs, Davis has given Lestat more character and more soul.. Which is a pretty mean feat. Yes, they may sound a bit like Gothic Korn songs.. But i see no problem with that.
With lyrics like "I've killed a million petty souls, but i couldn't.. Couldn't kill you... I've slept so long without you", and "I'm trapped in this world, lonely and fading, heartbroke and waiting, for you to come... We're, stuck in this world.. That's not meant for me" and finally "I hear it fading, i can't speak it, or else you will dig my grave".. John has made Lestat more of a tortured soul, a little more human, a little more confused, which is something that does happen in the later novels of the Vampire chronicles (eg. "Memnoch the Devil").
Davis does not sing these songs on the soundtrack (the reasons for which have yet to be properly explained, many said he sings in the film but not the soundtrack, others say it's the exact opposite), i was disappointed when i heard this, but when i saw the lineup of talent that was called in in his place, my disapointment turned to utter anticipation.
Wayne Static of Static X hit's things off with "Not Meant For Me", an angry song and a perfect start to the soundtrack. David Draiman of Disturbed (arguably the best of the new breed of Nu-Metal) is up next with "Forsaken", my second favourite. If any song sums up the trials and tribulations of a vampire, it's this. Linkin Park's Chester Bannington joins in with "System". While it's my least favourite of the five, that isn't saying much, as i dearly love them all. It, like the other four has great sound, great lyrics, an ominous mood, a nice length (at 5 minutes) and it actually picks up half way through and gets better, which is something of a rarity. The Big man himself.. Marilyn Manson joins the fun with "Redeemer" which will always hold a special place in my heart as it was the first of these songs that i ever heard, and when i heard it, relief washed over me as i knew i was in for something spectacular. I find it the most playful of the bunch, it get the feeling Marilyn is singing it with a sly little grin (don't ask me where that feeling comes from).
Like all good albums, they've saved the best for last, my personal (and everyone who i've played it for) favourite.. "Slept So Long" by Jay Gordon of Orgy. Anyone who has seen the "Family Values" tour knows that Gordon and Davis go together like peas and carrots, so there was no way this was going to be bad. It's the longest of the 5 (at 5 minutes and 20 seconds) and it is also the greatest 5 minutes and 20 seconds you'll ever have, it's the sort of song that has everyone listening to it grinning in awe. I absolutly love it. No more can be said.. Just buy it and listen.
The soundtrack is also filled with other greats, the best of which is Disturbed's "Down with the Sickness". If you haven't heard it, take Korn's "Daddy" and replace the daddy with a Mother, and you've got the picture, it's classic. While every song is great, my other favourites are "Cold" by Static X, "Excess" by Tricky (which was also in "13 Ghosts"), "Penetrate" by Godhead and "Dead Cell" by Papa Roach. It's also good to have an awesome horror soundtrack without even One Rob Zombie song.. I never thought i'd see the day.
An all round classic soundtrack, that like the Crow movies and "Spawn", will probably vastly overshadow the film. It is without doubt, the greatest soundtrack i've ever heard.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2011 12:21 PM PST

Deconstructing Harry
Deconstructing Harry
DVD ~ Caroline Aaron
23 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Woody Allen Film., February 2, 2002
This review is from: Deconstructing Harry (DVD)
"Deconstructing Harry" is not just a Perfect Woody Allen film, it's a Perfect film... Period. Allen's Dialogue Shines more than Ever in this Ultra-Clever Showcase of his Writing/Directing Talents for a New Generation, like Myself, to Discover.
Never before has Dialogue been So Cleverly Written, and then So Brilliantly Delivered (except for "The Big Lebowski" of course). Allen's Casts are always something to Behold, but in "Deconstructing Harry", he has gathered enough big names to open 20 films.
Judy Davis' nervy style fits in a Woody Allen film Perfectly. He brings out the Best in her. Where in Other films her All or Nothing performances can lean towards the Wrong side of Annoying, under Allen's Steady and Strong Direction, she gives her Best Performances (she has Also worked with him in "Celebrity" and "Husbands and Wives").
In fact, I'm going to cut my review short to go and watch the film right now, every actor is great, every line is memorable. See it now.

DVD ~ Michael Douglas
Offered by ACE MEDIA DIRECT
Price: $7.50
236 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars A half-baked effort if ever I saw one., February 1, 2002
This review is from: Don't Say a Word (DVD)
Michael Douglas has made some fantastic thrillers in his time, "Basic Instinct", "Fatal Attraction" and "Falling down" to name a few. "Don't say a word" is not one of those few.
Michael seems bored out of his mind, at some points I’m sure he's thinking "Just looked shocked and think about that fat studio paycheck". Sean Bean has played some pretty cool and effective villains ("Goldeneye" and "Patriot Games") but here he plays it more as a parody. He isn't scary or threatening for a second, and as for his gang.. Well all I can say is if I were a betting man I’d put my money on Douglas. Since when does a scary group of criminals need a comic relief character, what was up with that.. Honestly.
The one stand out performance wise is Brittany Murphy, much like Angelina Jolie did with "Tomb Raider", Brittany gives her while the rest of the cast turn up to get paid. She holds the rapidly falling apart film together as well as she can, but that is a feat beyond the means of a mere mortal.
While the supporting cast is filled with known names and faces, (Famke Janssen, Oliver Platt and Jennifer Esposito) none of them make any real impact. Famke and Jennifer fare a little better, so by my count, the guys in this film are really letting the team down.
My main problem with the film is the way that it tries to be many sorts of thrillers, in fact, each character seems to inhabit their own mini-thriller. Michael is in one (say, "Ransom"), Brittany is in another ("Mercury Rising"), as are Sean ("Home Alone".. That may be taking it a bit far), Famke ("The Bone Collector") and Jennifer (just about every thriller ever made, and since when are detectives so drop dead gorgeous).
Sure, it kills two hours and Brittany Murphy is great, hence the two star rating, but if you expect more, prepare to be bitterly disappointed. It's not enough to turn me off the usually outstanding Douglas, but if he signs on for a sequel, I won't be so forgiving.

4.0 out of 5 stars How didn't I see this movie coming., January 30, 2002
For a change, I'll be brief... "Not Another Teen Movie" is hilarious. The cast are game and great, 50% of it is vile and juvinile, 40% of it is clever, 10% of it doesn't work, so by my count, 90% of it is freakin hysterical. Plus Jaime Pressly is hot. Bring on "Not Another Teen Movie 2"... Wait, scratch that.. I just remembered how bad "Scary Movie 2" was.

DVD ~ Michael Douglas
Offered by ACE MEDIA DIRECT
Price: $7.50
236 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars A half-baked effort if ever I saw one., January 30, 2002
This review is from: Don't Say a Word (DVD)
Michael seems bored out of his mind, at some points I'm sure he's thinking "Just looked shocked and think about that fat studio paycheck". Sean Bean has played some pretty cool and effective villains ("Goldeneye" and "Patriot Games") but here he plays it more as a parody. He isn't scary or threatening for a second, and as for his gang.. Well all I can say is if I were a betting man I'd put my money on Douglas. Since when does a scary group of criminals need a comic relief character, what was up with that.. Honestly.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A misunderstood masterpiece in a class of it's own., January 22, 2002
I have a question for all of you, my fellow Amazon reviewers. What exactly does Tom Cruise have to do to get the respect and admiration he deserves. Films like Risky Business, Top Gun, Days of Thunder and the Mission Impossible films have made him one of the most popular superstars on the planet, but there are also films like Rain Man, Jerry Maguire, Magnolia, A Few Good Men, Interview with a Vampire, Born on the 4th of July, Eyes Wide Shut, The Firm... I mean really, has any other actor (other than maybe Denzel Washington and Harrison Ford) given 8 such riveting, Oscar worthy performances, well 9 Oscar worthy performances now.
Tom's performance in Vanilla Sky is arguably his best yet. It showcases every emotion a human being is capable of. The role of David Aimes really is a great actors dream, a role that only a brave and true actor would even attempt. David is a man who starts out with it all, and has it all stripped away. What looked like (at least, from early reports) a posturing vanity piece has proven itself quite the opposite, as it doesn't show Tom in the movie star light that many of his films do, it shows him as a true cinema great, which he is.
He and director Cameron Crowe took a risk; they stepped into darker, unchartered territory (unlike there more safe pairing "Jerry Maguire") and have created a true masterpiece. Due to the films luke-warm reception by many, critics and audiences alike, it seems there one mistake was putting trust in the masses, they asked us to go in open minded but alas, most went in with eyes wide shut (I'm surprised that line hasn't been used more often). But to the people out there who did go in open-minded, I'm sure you found it as mind-blowing as I did.

Power Struggle
Power Struggle
13 used & new from $0.08

5.0 out of 5 stars "Power Struggle"... Will i ever tire of it?... I think not., January 17, 2002
This review is from: Power Struggle (Audio CD)
There are only a handfull of songs out there that i never tire of, no matter how many times i hear them. In fact, i can count them all on one pair of hands. Nine Inch Nail's "Closer" is one of them, Marilyn Manson's "Down in the Park" cover is another, as is Filter and the Crystal Method's "Trip Like I Do". Sunna's "Power Struggle" is the newest entry into "Brads Untireable's". While the album "One Minute Science" is a mixed bag of slow and heavy songs, screaming and whispering lyrics.. Power Struggle is all metal. Just try not to headbang to it.. It rules. Though i like there entire debut album, the little headbanger inside me secretly preys every day that there sophomore effort is geared more towards us metal-heads.

Sickness
Sickness
Price: $10.30
110 used & new from $0.25

5.0 out of 5 stars The Debut of the Decade... (well, so far), January 17, 2002
This review is from: Sickness (Audio CD)
Being that it's only 2002, i can safely say that "The Sickness" is the best debut album of the decade. Rarely does a cd come along where every song grabs me from the opening and never lets go, this is one of those cd's. The first 5 songs, "Voices", "The Game", "Stupify", "Down with the Sickness" and "Violence Fetish" are simply brilliant. Each one could easily be a hit single and launch it's own band, they are that good.
"Down with the Sickness" instantly became one of my all time favourites. A smile came across my face half way through my first listen, and i knew... Here is another favourite. "Stupify" had almost the same effect as did "Shout 2000". Though my favourite songs do populate the first half of the cd, that doesn't mean i think the second half lags. The whole cd is brilliance, i wait for there sophomore effort with baited breath.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A Misunderstood masterpiece in a class of it's own., January 17, 2002

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20