Profile for retiresoon > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 42

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

retiresoon RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Five-Star Hotel Mattress Topper with Fitted Skirt - Made in America, Queen Pad
Five-Star Hotel Mattress Topper with Fitted Skirt - Made in America, Queen Pad
Offered by eLuxury Supply
Price: $71.99
2 used & new from $71.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but not perfect., February 1, 2015
My early impressions are that this is a very nice mattress cover, although I don't know if it is the best out there for the price. I replaced a less expensive but older and well worn cover with this. I noticed that both the skirt and elastic on my older cover were made of much sturdier material and was also made in the USA. The older cover used a cotton fill, which of course mats down pretty quickly. I've noticed that synthetic fills that I've had in my sleeping bags tends to loose it's loft or fluffiness over a couple or few years and wonder if this will be the case with the Five-star cover. The loft from the filling is pretty nice and adds a little comfort, but is not especially thick. There were many bits of the fill sticking out from the little sewn pillows around the edges and I'm hoping this doesn't indicate a problem when I wash it. I have a Sleep Number mattress with a 1" memory foam topper and the cover fit but did not leave much extra room.

Overall, it's a nice cover. I'm not sure that it deserves some of the rave reviews, but it is good buy at the price.

Vasque Men's Mantra 2.0 GTX Hiking Boot,Beluga/Old Gold,9.5 W US
Vasque Men's Mantra 2.0 GTX Hiking Boot,Beluga/Old Gold,9.5 W US
Price: $141.34
3 used & new from $141.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fit for wide feet, November 5, 2014
If you have wider feet like me it's hard to find shoes in a wide size. I can usually find a shoes in a normal width that has a larger toe area, but it's sort of trial and error. These fit great right out of the box. It is my third pair of Mantras and the style has changed but they last and last, look good, and are rugged for hiking. Worth the premium price in my opinion.

Marrakesh Dreamsicle Conditioner with Hemp and Argan Oils, 8 Ounce
Marrakesh Dreamsicle Conditioner with Hemp and Argan Oils, 8 Ounce
Offered by Mango Six B&M
Price: $14.50
11 used & new from $14.50

5.0 out of 5 stars I am sold on the Marrakesh hair products and this ..., November 5, 2014
I am sold on the Marrakesh hair products and this one is no exception. Fragrance is basically unisex and pleasant. Some shampoos leave my hair dry and fly away, but not this one. It takes a little practice to beak the habit of using so much, but the product is very concentrated and I can get by using about half of normal, which justifies the higher price.

KAVU Men's Mason Shorts
KAVU Men's Mason Shorts
Price: $42.00 - $70.00

4.0 out of 5 stars On the up side I really like the way they fit and are pretty styling, November 5, 2014
I've had two pairs of the Kavu Mason shorts. On the up side I really like the way they fit and are pretty styling. They do indeed fit slightly tight, but I did not need to up size from normal. They ride a little lower on the hip then my other brands of shorts. The big down side is the fabric. It's a nice softer and slightly thick cotton fabric, but just doesn't wear well. For the premium price, I'd expect better but like them so much I'll deal with it.

Yamaha YWA-10BL Wireless Network Adapter
Yamaha YWA-10BL Wireless Network Adapter
Price: $50.10
19 used & new from $29.12

1.0 out of 5 stars Had to find out for myself, October 11, 2014
Was pretty easy to set up and it actually worked fairly good, but a little quirky, for about 3 months. Now sometimes it works, sometimes I have to reboot the modem and adapter, and sometimes it just won't work. I have 2 routers and modems and it doesn't seem to matter. Yamaha should be embarrassed to sell this as an option to get internet radio with their high end receivers. I am going to try one of the other adapters that others here have used. The other reviews are right.

Sugoi Men's RS Pro Shorts, Black, X-Large
Sugoi Men's RS Pro Shorts, Black, X-Large
Price: $77.97
9 used & new from $77.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Good shorts...may run small, September 11, 2014
I am 5'11' and 185 pounds with a 34" waist and larger sized thighs, which unfortunately are not all muscle. I ordered the large size since my other brands of cycling shorts and tights are that size. The large size fit ok at the waist but was definitely too tight at the thighs and had to be returned. The X-large is actually snug for me through the thighs but is the right size. They seem like they will be great shorts. I bought these to replace some PI shorts that almost seemed to have razor blades in the butt after about 20 miles, even after multiple adjustments to my saddle. After a couple of rides I can tell they are an improvement.

Sangean RCR-9 AM/FM-RDS Digital Tuning Atomic Clock Radio (Black)
Sangean RCR-9 AM/FM-RDS Digital Tuning Atomic Clock Radio (Black)
Price: $62.25
34 used & new from $52.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking, but not exactly darkness friendly, September 4, 2014
I would buy the RCR-9 again just because I really like the large analog time display with adjustable brightness. I find the design and appearance very attractive looking and a little mid-century modern. The radio sound is very good, although a little boomy with bass.

For my purposes it has some definite shortcomings. The LED display is not visible from a typical viewing on a nightstand, so some useful information, like whether the alarm is set and alarm time, is not showing. I have to pull the clock over off my nightstand if I want to double check on these things after bedding down. Also, all of the settings are operated from buttons that are flush with the top of clock so there is no good way to operate these by feel in the dark. The set up was fairly easy except setting and cancelling the alarms and while I will eventually get the hang of it, I found the manual unclear on these. Like many new electronic devices the settings are technology overkill, giving a bunch of choices at the expense of complicating operations. I think Sangean might have other models with a little different design that improves on a few of my shortcomings, but the ones I liked only came in white or silver, which I didn't want.

Yamaha R-N500BL Network Receiver
Yamaha R-N500BL Network Receiver
Price: $549.95
10 used & new from $399.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice!, June 20, 2014
I bought this to replace a high end Nachamici receiver that was 25 years old, but was considered high end when new. I'm powering a new pair of Goldenear Triton 7 floor standing speakers. At about 2 weeks in, I am very pleased. The sound is a significant upgrade and better than I had expected. FM reception is also better and very good. The power output seems adequate for my larger sized speakers. I especially like the many listening options. In order to get internet radio and Pandora I had to buy the Yamaha wireless adapter, which is a little quirky, but not too bad to set up and is working fine. It really expands the listening options and the wireless sound quality is good. Not as good as a CD, but equal to local FM transmissions. It was not clear to me when I bought the receiver that I would either need to run an Ethernet cable from the router to the back of the unit or buy the adapter, which was an additional expense.

Setting everything up was not too difficult, and I'm no tech genius. I have a Panasonic TV that sends the audio out through an optical cable in some sort of Dolby sound. This will not send sound to the receiver without an additional Dolby decoder, as far as I can tell. I think my TV is slightly unusual and probably most people won't have this issue, or there is something going on that I don't understand, but that and the additional cost of a wireless adapter drops one star in my rating. It's still very nice and there are not a lot of options available for a two channel receiver that has all of the wireless and other listening choices. Onkyo has what looks like a similar unit for less money, but the reviews I could find hinted that it was not as good sound quality.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2014 3:45 PM PDT

Earthly Body Marrakesh Oil Conditioner 8 oz
Earthly Body Marrakesh Oil Conditioner 8 oz

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, April 20, 2014
One of the best conditioners I've ever used, and I've been using various conditioners for a long time. Left my hair feeling very soft and natural, but not oily or bulky like some conditioners

Marrakesh Original Shampoo with Hemp and Argan Oils, 8 Ounce
Marrakesh Original Shampoo with Hemp and Argan Oils, 8 Ounce
Offered by Mango Six B&M
Price: $13.50
10 used & new from $8.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Good shampoo, February 22, 2014
I have slightly dry and fly-away hair and many shampoos dry my hair too much. The Marrakesh is perfect and leaves my hair soft and not oily. The "original" fragrance is a little persistent and slightly floral. Being a guy, I find it more to the feminine side of fragrance but not totally objectionable. I will try one of the other fragrances if I order again. It doesn't lather as much as other shampoos, but enough. I think it is an excellent product, especially at Amazon prices.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5