Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS
Profile for Michel Farmer > Reviews

Browse

Michel Farmer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 23

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michel Farmer RSS Feed (Peoria Illinois)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Star Portal [VHS]
Star Portal [VHS]

3.0 out of 5 stars Athena, March 19, 2003
This review is from: Star Portal [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Athena Massey is one of my favorite B-movie actresses and I thought this was perhaps her shot at going legit. Possibly a rare gem adorned with low budget type sci-fi philosophy. But no, this is as much a showcase for Athena's breasts as it is her acting ability.
Fun if you're already a fan but a truly terrible film otherwise.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being
The Unbearable Lightness of Being
by Milan Kundera
Price: $9.19
332 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars 300 page symphony, January 2, 2003
Ezra Pound once said something to the effect of "A poet that is not interested in music is not a good poet". I don't know if Milan Kundera ever heard this piece of advice but he certainly seems to have taken heed to it. Very much like a symphony, this book contains very musical aspects such as repetition of key phrases, notes (or words if you will) that seem unimportant then subconsioulsy affect every other part of the piece, and a need to truly be listened to. "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" refuses to be background music.
I beleive trying to tell you what the book is about betrays one of it's core messages, which is you can only know what something means to you, commmunication is a hopelesss but necessary exercise. Find a quiet place, read the book slowly, and truly contemplte the things it has to say. You'll be glad you did.

I, Q (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
I, Q (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
by Peter David
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
56 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Call me Ishmael, well on second thought..., December 20, 2002
Q is a great Star Trek character that Jon De Lanice plays brilliantly. The fact that he co-wrote a book is a real treat.

These types of books are best if you don't take them too seriously and just enjoy the ride. Q's anecdotes and asides were more entertaining than the story being told which at times seemed like an attempt to pack as much action as possible onto every page. Often times it felt like television channlels flipping too rapidly. However the humorous tone of the book makes it worthy of a rather enjoyable if thoughtless afternoon.
Picard and Data seem to be thrown into the action for no reason but I guess they had to be there since it's a Next Generation book and all. Picard isn't very noble in this book functioning mainly to yell at Q. He sounds like a bitter old man. Ah well.
Other than that I think people will enjoy it if they like the Q character and aren't expecting Moby Dick.

Action Packed: The Best Of Jonathan Richman
Action Packed: The Best Of Jonathan Richman
Price: $14.99
79 used & new from $3.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Of course it ain't perfect but who's counting, December 16, 2002
As the liner notes state (which by the way are a great addition to the package) favorite songs are going to be left off.
It seems they went heavier on the Richman albums that aren't as popular and rather skim on the classic discs. Why do we get four cuts from the mediocre "Having A Party" and only two from the his much agreed upon masterpiece "I,Jonathan"? Why four from the OK "You Must Ask the Heart" and only two from the great "Modern Lover's 88".
It's a good disc because simply it's Jonathan and it's a good sampling of a phase of Jonathan's life. Keep in my mind this isn't an introduction to Jonathan's music, just a snapshot of a particular time. This is a good album to have if you can't afford the albums the songs individually came off of. You are missing out on some classics by doing that however (When Harpo played his Harp,That Summer Feeling). I suppose you are getting treated to some classics too (New Kind of Neighborhood,Parties in the USA). My only complaint with this is the complaint I have with all "best of.." collections is that it never is the best of and often times it can be the worst if. (I really think Reno is a terrible song).
Four Stars for the music, Three for the idea.

Offered by ebuys1
Price: $3.27
19 used & new from $1.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Episode, December 14, 2002
I have, as of late, seen countless episodes of STar Trek: TNG thanks to my room-mate unfortunately coming across about 100 episodes at a clearance sale. Most of the episodes are entertaining enough and after spending time with the characters you generally do start to feel for them. However I find most episodes either too timid to celebrate their weirdness or too afraid to truly explore the philisophical undertones they present.
This episode is guilty of none of these things, this episode is merely a really good time. I don't know if the writers were having a good day or if John de Lancie is just a brilliant improvisationalist, whichever it is, this is the only episode of Star Trek that I actually laughed out loud at,that is laughed out loud at things that were supposed to be funny. (Yes the miniature model of the Exxon disaster that kills Tasha Yar is a laugh a minute but I doubt that it was intentionally so.)
I have seen about 50 episodes so far and this is by far my favorite. Yes that is fifty hours of my life ripped away in the span of a month. Now that I am an official Trekkie I'll never get a date again, oh wait, I never get them anyway, at least now I have an excuse.

Offered by ebuys1
Price: $3.27
19 used & new from $1.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Episode, December 14, 2002
I have, as of late, seen countless episodes of STar Trek: TNG thanks to my room-mate unfortunately coming across about 100 episodes at a clearance sale. Most of the episodes are entertatining enough and after spending time with the characters you generally do start to feel for them. However I find most episodes either too timid to celebrate their weirdness or too afraid to truly explore the philisophical undertones they present.
This episode is guilty of none of these things, this episode is merely a really good time. I don't know if the writers were having a good day or Joh de Lancie is just a brilliant improvisationalist, whichever it is, this is the only episode of Star Trek that I actually laughed out at, that is, laughed out loud at things that were supposed to be funny. (Yes the miniature model of the Exxon disaster that kills Tasha Yar is a laugh a minute but I doubt that it was intentionally so.)
I have seen about 50 episodes so far and this is by far my favorite. Yes that is fifty hours of my life riped away in the span of a month. Now that I am an official Trekkie I'll never get a date again, oh wait I never get them anyway, at least now I have an excuse.

Whatever You Love You Are
Whatever You Love You Are
Price: $16.17
25 used & new from $1.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Love at first site..., December 11, 2002
This record has the unfortunate distinction of being one that I liked way too much on first playing. Most of The Dirty Three's output has to slowly grow on me in order to deepen my appreciation for it but this one hit me as a grand, beautiful miasma of sound immediately and as a perhaps bizzare result it doesn't get as much play as my other D3 disks.
That isn't to say that it isn't a wonderful record and the Dirty Three are without a doubt one of my favorite bands of all time.This record lacks the violence of "Horse Stories" and the spiritual confusion of "Ocean Songs". These may be good things for the future but it was the violence and the confusion that made their other records so enjoyable. Keep in mind when I first bought this one I fell in love with it.
Let me put it this way, this may be one of the greatest albums of all time it's just isn't (in my opinion) the greatest Dirty Three record of all time.
I can't wait for their next album!!

The Terror of Technology
The Terror of Technology
5 used & new from $4.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Diamonds in the mashed potatoes, December 10, 2002
This is a rock opera album that attempts to tell the story of "Clammy Hands Mcgee" and how he finally found long sought after serenity by becoming a deaf, blind miniature golf champion. Wait..no it isn't about that.
O.K. It sounds like Geeks in love or something to that effect.
O.K. they're my friends and I am trying to promote them but they rock, they really do!!!

The Einstein Factor: A Proven New Method for Increasing Your Intelligence
The Einstein Factor: A Proven New Method for Increasing Your Intelligence
by Richard Poe
Price: $13.62
177 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This may be a useless review, December 10, 2002
As we all probably realize reviewers are often writing reviews to gain insights for themsleves and not necessarily for the gain of the people who may be reading these criticisms. It is in this spirit that I am writing this review.
I have read "The Einstein Factor" several times now and I do truly enjoy the personalities of the author's as the book does seem to brighten my day when I venture onto it's pages. However trying some of the techniques initailly made me uneasy and after reading the reviews on this page I tend to be even more weary about actually employing them. I am speaking specifically of the technique called Image Streaming in which you conjure up images from your right brain. Readers on this site have confessed that they often experienced hallucinations that made it difficult to concentrate after trying these techniques and I am afraid this may happen to me. Does anybdody have evidence to the contrary? Has this worked for anybody? Did any laymen out there experience measurable gains in their intellect?
I find Win Wenger to be a very wonderful writer with what seems like benevolent intentions and the book is a wonderful read. I just have to admit to a certain uneasy apprehension, am I justified in this?

Horse Stories
Horse Stories
Price: $11.99
29 used & new from $0.51

5.0 out of 5 stars The lonely hunter, November 29, 2002
This review is from: Horse Stories (Audio CD)
Like all of The Dirty Three's recordings I really didn't like this record on first playing. Then one day it made me noitce it. Like the little boy or girl from the fifth grade that you suddenly fall in love with in high school, it just violently and suddenly blossoms out at you forcing you to notice what has actually been there all along.
These songs are faster than those included on their follow-up albums so the sadness doesn't hit you right away. However when it does it strikes you as the most intense, violent despair that ever crashed through your speakers and threatened at any time to become a palpable manifestation of itself.
This is epic tragedy converted to audio, this is the pain of existence. There is no real way to write about a Dirty Three album convincingly, there is just too much emotion on all of them to ever put into words.
This is the sound of the longing for the garden of eden at the moment we were kicked out of it. Like all great love affairs, if you give this reocrd time,the rewards are endless.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3