Profile for David Rosenberg > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David Rosenberg RSS Feed (Atlanta, GA United States)

Page: 1 | 2
1.8m Silver Plated DIY Audio upgrade Cable For Sennheiser HD650 HD600 HD580 headphones headsets
Offered by cairimao
Price: $69.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Better then some American audiophile cables, July 26, 2014
I had a Moon Audio Silver Dragon (V2) cable for my Sennheiser HD650 for several years. During that time, the right channel would often start getting distortion. A couple weeks ago, the left channel completely went out. When I tried to pull out the contacts, one had gotten lodged in the headphone. So something I spent almost $200 on has the worst quality I've ever encountered. Googling a cheaper silver plated alternative, I saw a few Chinese channels. I decided on this one since the price was fine and the styling looked nice. Since it is coming from China, I suspected it might take awhile to get delivered. I was very surprised how quickly it did come. The cord itself is much thinner then the Silver Dragon, but the connectors seem to fit very easily/still snug. The cord can coil very tightly and is way more flexible then the Silver Dragon/ Cardas type cables. I also like that it has a slim 3.5mm to 1/4 plug adapter. So far this seems like a good buy!

Body Glove 9307401 Tactic Case for LG LS970/Eclipse 4G LTE - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Charcoal/Black
Offered by Noble Planet
Price: $15.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs a small DIY before it's a wonderful product, December 3, 2012
Just as previous reviews state, the case's power button is not designed well. I noticed the volume buttons were more recessed and had more give. The power button side is too far inward. I shaved it down with an x-acto knife...and now it works fine. I don't understand why BG didn't design the power button to be more recessed. I know that the AT&T vs Sprint versions of this phone are a little different from one another, but I assume this might affect both (I have the Sprint version myself). If you're not comfortable with having to take out a knife to shave down the case's power button, don't buy. If you already have this product, the best fix is shaving down the inside power button.

If the manufacturer reads this, I would have given this 5 stars if not for this major flaw. Overall, the case is nice and sturdy. The front bezel really compliments the design of the phone.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2012 7:39 PM PST

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Season 1 [Blu-ray]
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Season 1 [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Levar Burton
Offered by Warehouse Deals 4 Less
Price: $42.13
53 used & new from $31.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile buy for any Star Trek fan, July 28, 2012
When I heard that Paramount was indeed remastering STNG to HD, I thought I'd wet my whistle and first watch the episodes as they had been seen when broadcast. I never got around to owning the DVD set, as I could rent or stream them over Netflix. My overall impression is that seeing the episodes in a new medium (that was only experimental when they first were produced) does bring new life to them.

I own the other Star Trek blu-rays: the movies and TOS. Overall, I think Paramount has done a good job with their remastering of the first season. I don't know why Paramount insists with remixing the whole Star Trek franchise with 7.1: especially since they don't seem to have done many enhancements to the old audio tracks, it's not like there's a whole lot of surround effects to begin with. I don't find the dialogue panning on other speakers too distracting: the tonality all seems consistent. What I think is most lacking for lossless surround is very sparing use of LFE. These are minor quips since it will always be questionable over whether to remain pure to the source material, or try to enhance and overemphasize. The music and sound effects sound pretty good in DTS HD: the tonality of the spoken dialogue can sound muffled. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the original production values: when they were producing the TV series, it was with the budget and equipment for analog TV. They probably could never have imagined that the show would eventually be remastered for a "cinema" quality medium.

There's also the aspect of how well the original source material has held up with age, and if there has to be a restoration. Comparing TNG to TOS, it's clear that Paramount did have to do more for TOS. They had a series of digital restorers go in and paint out speckles and color correct every film element. They also completely redid special effects entirely with CG. It is fortunate for Paramount and fans alike that at least all the original elements of TNG were filmed on 35mm. With the number of episodes in TNG, it would be quite a bit more costly if the remaster required completely new CGI effects and a total restoration of every film element. The previous SD masters all used the original special effects edits (in which film elements were composited and edited in SD video). Because of the extra number of episodes with TNG, I'm not too disappointed that Paramount can't go in and do a film restoration. The picture quality in this set varies with the quality of the stock film used, but there can be quite a higher level of detail.

Overall, the video holds up well in HD: especially the newly composited VFX. Paramount must have archived the FX shots well: I think they were also shot on better quality film. The special features on disc one does go over the digital editing techniques they used to recomposite the special effects. There were also some rudimentary CGI characters like the crystalline entity that had to be re-envisioned for HD. The clarity of the VFX shots really shine. The set shots with the crew can vary quite a bit, however. You can now see some fine details and colors are richer, but it doesn't look like a brand new HD production. The overall color range is limited: shadow detail in particular seems crushed. There's also speckles and varying amounts of grain. Video purists will be glad that there's not noticeable edge enhancement, and there hasn't been a DNR filter applied to scrub out the speckles/grain. Considering the age and quality of stock TV film, I suspect that any other improvement (IE doing full restorations on all the set shots) would be cost prohibitive with the number of episodes present. I also suspect that the upcoming seasons of NG will have improved visual quality (when the production became established, and they started using better film stock). Blu-Ray dot com's review of TNG teaser set seems to indicate that's true (They rated Encounter at Far Point to be lower quality, and I suspect that later seasons of TNG will look better due to better grade film/production costs).

So in summary, this new BD set from Paramount will be the definitive set for TNG...probably for all time since some future 4k home media wouldn't be of much value for a TV series originally produced for standard definition broadcast. Paramount has done a good job of taking the old 35mm elements and remastering them to HD. The series holds up well in HD, and is a definite "buy" for any ST fan. I rate it a 4 out of 5 because of the limitations of the original source material hampering the picture quality from consistently looking like it was shot "just yesterday" for HD.

*edit* now that I'm noticing there are quite a few rumors floating around here, I feel like I should follow-up. CBS/Paramount has not issued a statement yet about whether they will re-issue changes. There are a few episodes where the dialogue is still mixed with the stereo channels (and not strictly on the center channel). I don't find these episodes to be that "faulty" because the dialogue often is perceptually "center" (it's hardly ever imaged immediately right or left). I also have full range tower mains that are tonally matched with my center speaker (so the dynamics are pretty seamless). If it's too distracting for your preferences/ speaker configuration/ you can switch these episodes to stereo (don't believe the rumors of some missing 2 channel mixes: I've confirmed that my copy has 2 channel mixes).

CBS/Paramount may issue new surround mixes if there's enough complaints for the episodes that are more stereo centric. Time will tell about whether CBS/Paramount will remaster these episodes (the main consensus is 7 episodes). My review stands at 4 out of 5 stars for this set: the quality of the video and audio is the best this series has ever been presented in, and qualities won't change if there is an update in imaging with the 7 episodes. I don't find the stereo imaging to be too distracting, but YMMV. If CBS does re-issue, or offer a replacement program, my above review will still stand.

******edit 2*****
As of today, 7/30/2012 CBS has issued an official statement in which they are offering a free replacement program to address the surround track of the 7 episodes. Kudos for CBS to offer a replacement quickly and without requiring upgrading to some future set. I'll send away for the discs so I can compare. I suspect my initial impression of the audio will be the same: the sound effects having some good dynamics with the dialogue being slightly muted.

[..]
Comment Comments (23) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2012 8:59 PM PDT

Mediabridge ULTRA Series HDMI Cable (6 Feet) - High-Speed Supports Ethernet, 3D and Audio Return [Newest Standard]
Offered by Mediabridge Products, LLC
Price: $8.99
2 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bargain, February 2, 2012
When my previous HDMI cable started losing a signal (and it was a Belkin one I bought locally for instant pick up), I decided to get this particular cable through Amazon. The previous cable seemed to have the outer metal sleeve come lose right at the connector; I noticed it had been soldered to a wire just underneath the ruber insulation...so it must be a ground. What got me about that cable was that it stayed connected to my TV, and seemed to break the first time I unplugged and plugged it back in. This cable seems to be a nicer quality and have a good amount of insulation (which is good for my area, which has a lot of RFI). I recently upgraded my subwoofer, and found that I need a better subwoofer cable for it. I found a professional review site which rated the Mediabridge cable number 1 in quality, features, and value. It's on order now, and I'm looking forward to see how a dielectric cable works.

Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection (Star Trek I, II, III, IV, V, VI + The Captain's Summit Bonus Disc) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ William Shatner
Price: $39.99
74 used & new from $22.00

1,420 of 1,461 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars I've actually seen what I review!!!, May 14, 2009
I'm floored by the number of reviews here that give this a 1 star review, and then state that they haven't seen the movies. If you actually compare the picture quality with these new BDs to previous DVDs, you do see a vast improvement. Star Trek II, III, and IV have more consistant color and detail then what I saw in the DVDs. In previous editions of ST III, I always noticed an upped contrast in comparison to II and IV: but in this set, it's in line with all the other movies. There seems to be a lot of rumors here about what "Digitally Restored" is over "Digitally Remastered" (as TWOK was the only to get "Digitally Restored"). A digital restoration is when it's accessed that there has to be a new edit of the film due to the state of the print (it could be going in and adjusting color levels for consistancy or even digitally painting out blemishes). It seems Paramount found TWOK to be the only movie in need of a restoration: when you see the other movies on a HDTV, you can easily tell that they are coming from an HD master and not an SD upconversion like some are claiming. They compare favorably to other blu-ray movies from all the big studios. I notice some of the HD interviews are the same interviews taken from the special edition DVDs: it's nice to see them in their original HD resolution (where the studio has obviously been gearing up for HD for several years). Note that there's also some interviews from the special edition DVDs that were shot in SD and have been transfered to this issue (the main one seemed to be ST V). The only gimmick I find with the movies is the "new" 7.1 sound mixes. I don't see the need in mixing 5.1 to 7.1....but the lossless audio does sound great. This blu-ray set is a definite improvement over any other issues of the movies. Issues like DNR or restorations are always subjective; but these transfers are good enough that whenever the movies get a re-issue, I suspect it will be more along the lines of adding more featurettes (or rendering out HD resolutions of the CG shots in the case of TMP).

***Addition****

Since there are still more 1 star reviews, I thought I should address the misinformation about what remastering means in relation to Blu-Ray. It's impossible for any of these movies to have come from a DV (digital video: SD DVD resolution) because studios have been working in 2k resolutions for awhile. A 2k file is 2048 pixels wide by X number high (it's a standard that has varying aspects....with some of my 3D files, I work in 2048x2048). Studios are currently converting to 4k work for new movies and for film restorations of older titles. So the restoration for TWOK might have been scanned at 4k for the 35mm scenes and 8k for the 70mm VFX. The other movies could have been scanned a number of years ago, but the studio would still have masters that are at least 2k resolutions.

Now studios do not author BDs themselves: they go hire companies to do that. So for a genuine HDTV movie, Blu-Ray title, or DVD title the company is getting a copy of the 2k studio master and then remastering for that particular medium: for Blu-Ray, they rescale and process the image to be 1920x1080 at 24 fps....for HDTV, they rescale to 1920x1080 60I, and for DVD, they rescale to 720x480. At this stage, the authoring company then adds particular DNR and compression appropriate for for the medium. When it comes to DNR, some people are more against it then others. I personally don't feel the DNR is that bad here: there are some scenes in these movies that weren't processed the way I'd like them to....but if they ever do get a remaster, it's going to be at the HD level: the studio master is unadulterated.

To conclude my thoughts....it's a pity that the reviews here are getting dragged down by mis-information. I gave this set a 4 star review simply because I save 5 stars for the extremely good titles on BD. If you have a 100" TV, then maybe you want to wait for another HD remaster with less DNR. I'm not as anti-DNR as others....but I'd say that it's not as bad as some make it out to be: I still see plenty of grain for appropriate scenes, and there's not huge edge enhancement going on during scenes with too much softfocus. And for me, the softfocus issues (only in certain scenes) and certain cinematography effects are a lot more glaring then DNR: things that were harder to pick up back when these movies were made, and something that's niether correctable in a transfer and is more clearly evident in HD. For a 110" TV DNR issues might be more overwhelming, but for my more modest TV set with great 7.1 sound system, I'd say this is a no brainer purchase for any passing fan of the series. The movies are marred by some production values that prevent this set from being a "demo" set, but I think the transfers do more closely reflect the studio masters. All of the movies have never looked or sounded as good: they should be stunning for any passing fan of Star Trek.
Comment Comments (47) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2014 8:24 PM PDT

2001 - A Space Odyssey [HD DVD]
2001 - A Space Odyssey [HD DVD]
DVD ~ Keir Dullea
Offered by ustrade
Price: $6.51
20 used & new from $0.56

5.0 out of 5 stars HD makes it a new movie!!!!, November 20, 2007
So I don't think it's important for me to rate the movie or director of this disc......my own opinion is that Kubrick was a visionary and "cinematic" director if ever there was one. 2001 remains a quintessential Kubrick movie. I also find that the special effects, while dated stylistically and somewhat simplistic, hold up remarkably well considering. But it seems that people either like Kubrick or just think he's too boring, cerebral, or aloof.

For 2001 fans, this disc is certainly worth owning.....not sure why the selected reviews are for the older DVD versions, but the region 1 HD DVD has 6 featurettes and a commentary with the major actors of the film. It's miles more feature rich then the DVD. I also bought the newly remastered Shining and Sparticus HD DVDs......the Shining is another movie that's worth the upgrade to HD (film quality is improved as well as having extra features for Kubrick fans).

I think one of the most important reasons for plunking more money down for a HD disc is the picture quality. Lucky for us, Warner has decided to remaster many of the Kubrick movies. The only one that has let me down a bit is Sparticus (it's obvious they didn't do much for the HD version). Comparing this 2001 with my older DVD copy, the picture is both crisper and more faithful on HD over the DVD counterpart. If it weren't for the dated costumes, you would think that it might have been filmed just this year! So if you count yourself as a Kubrick fan, run out and get yourself a copy!

Sennheiser HD595 Dynamic High Grade Performance Premiere Headphones (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
17 used & new from $75.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a Sennheiser head!, September 30, 2006
Thought I should follow on the comparison of the HD590, as I'm also a HD580 owner. I'm sure there's a larger difference between this and the 580 compared to the 590. I would not say that one is better then the other...they are so different. The build quality of the 595s are better. The main weakness with the 580 is such flimsy stock cords!!! While my 6 year old 580s don't show much sign of wear, I'm always having to replace the cord!! I recently found out that the HD650s use compatible, much thicker cords. They're an extra $15 at Sennheiserusa's site, but worth it. With that, that bumps up the 580s price to exactly the same as the 595. So which one should you get? It depends on your preferences.

The 595s are great for an all around headphone. They're much lower impedance then the 580/600/650 series, so they'll run alright on portables. The 580s are a steal compared to the 600 and 650 (the only differences between these phones are some of the acoustic properties of the materials used...be it plastic, metal, or carbon fiber). The problem with that series is that they are high impedance and need a good amplified source.

The sound characteristics of the phones is very different. I think Sennheiser must have made this for people who said the 580 was too flat. It comes closer to a traditional closed headphone since the driver is angled toward your ear and the metal grill isolates the resonance. The truth is in the pudding: if you compare the frequency response of both cans, the 595s have a more consistant range. That makes the 595s better as a reference phone. The 580's driver is recessed, and is very open with a plastic grill. While some might say that the 580 is lacking in midrange, I find the 580 to be very open and less "headphone" sounding (the sound doesn't seem to be in the center of your head). The soundstage is greater with the 580s. I also find that because the 580 has such a high impedance, the dynamics do open up with a dedicated headphone amp. It's truly a different experience.

I think comfort goes slightly towards the 580s. Both phones are very lightweight, but I get a slight pressure on my mandible with the 595s since they are angled inward. Neither presses on my ear, so both are good for extended listening. I'm just burning in the 595s, so the sound is starting to get warmer and closer to the 580s. I have a feeling that the 580s might give less fatigue for extended listening because they are really well balanced (they're really good for classical or acoustic because it gives just enough attention to quiet and solo instruments). Since the 595s are low impedance, they seem more dynamic with most sources. People who mainly listen to hard rock will surely find the 595s better. There's a clearer distinction between the bass and treble which seems exciting when you first listen (and why I think it might give fatigue if you listen for a long time). I like listening to jazz and alternative, which right now the 595s seem a tad bright. The frequency response doesn't lie: the 580s roll off in the higher ranges. To my ears, the 595s are more detailed, and the 580s have a warm sound.

One other thing that's changed with the current models is that the default connection is the larger 6mm jack, and the adapter is for the smaller 3mm. The fit with the adaptor is very snug....I have to unplug it from the jack so that I can take the adapter off. That's a lot of weight on the jack! I'll probably get the corded HD650 adaptor that Sennheiser sells on their site (it's slightly less then the Grado adapter).

OK, another neat thing about the 595s is you get a headphone stand included! Yes, it's shameless consumerism, but it is a great value. This is my third Sennheiser phone...I also have the PXC 250 noise canceling phones for traveling. Sennheiser seems to really be offering a wide range now. If you're an audiophile, I'd say the 580s might have an edge with an amp (only because of the soundstage)...but the 595s are a great detailed all around phone. Now that I've found a good cable for the 580, I'll probably keep it for my home rig. I'll use the 595 for the laptop, psp, and discman.

Sennheiser  HD 580 Dynamic HiFi Professional Headphone
Sennheiser HD 580 Dynamic HiFi Professional Headphone
4 used & new from $190.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, but one caveat, September 22, 2006
OK, so I've had my HD580s for a few years....and now I'm dissatisfied enough to try the HD595s. If Sennheiser had spent more time developing durable cords, then these would be the ultimate headphones for me. Floors me, because everything else about the phones are well designed and built (the pads and headband still don't have much of any signs of wear). But every year, my right cord connection goes...and I have to spend $15 on a replacement cable. It went again today, and now I'm saying to heck with it! I keep good care of the phones: I only use them during work and my home theater rig, but still the cord never lasts. It's a shame, because I really love the sound: music and movies sounds very natural no matter what sound source. Having an open air design, they sound more like loudspeakers. There is a real difference with acoustic music. I notice reviews for the HD595s say that they need less impedance, and are better suited for portable devices. Apparently the cabling is stiffer and hopefully more durable. I have found the HD580s are still good plugged directly into most portable devices (some aren't amplified enough to get a decent volume). Of course they do really sound good with an amp. I was debating about the HD600 or 650, but if they have the same cable then I wonder if others have had this notorious cable issue 580 owners have. Well I've just placed my order for the 595s, and will submit a review of them when they arrive! I am anxious to see if the clarity is the same.

**update** I've found out that the HD650 has compatible cords that are a thicker guage/ better quality then those found with the HD580. You can get a replacement cable at sennheiserusa site for $15. I just got mine today.....boy are they so much better!!!!Too bad amazon won't let me change my star rating! If I could, I'd give it 4 stars. Wouldn't give it 5 simply because of this one design flaw. Anyone contemplating getting these cans should spend the extra $15 on the better cord. The worn out 580 stock cable seems so flimsy compared to the replacement HD650 cord I just recieved. I also got the HD595 today. Will post a comparison with the 595 reviews, but the quick answer is that I think the 580 is better for soundstage (it seems less like sound is going into your head, but is surrounding you). The 595s are low impedence and the drivers are angled towards your ears, so the sound is more isolating(I love how Sennheiser makes up a complicated name for this....it's not a new technology!). There is quite a difference. Both headphones have their strengths. For those looking for a pair that offer the best dynamics and reference, I think the 595s are better...they do deliver a punch. For those who have listened to the 580s and say they sound flat, they won't say the same about the 595s. Sennheiser must have totally redone the 500 series for these people. I'm just now burning in the 595s to see if the tone gets warmer. I'm sure it will be more versitile since it does play nice with portables that have little power. For classical and acoustic music through a good amp though, I think the 580s are better because of it's soundstage. For rock music, I think the 580s are better for listening during a long time as there isn't any fatigue. The 595s are better for those just looking to rock out with heavy bass(don't get me wrong, the cans are well mixed...they can deliver a ton of bass if you bump up the bass in your equalizer and don''t seem to clip). The detail of the 595s are more apparent with most sources, and are good for someone just looking for a good all around phone. The 580s shine with a source that can really drive them. So to each his own!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2008 8:35 AM PST

Philips Norelco 9160XL SmartTouch-XL Men's Shaver
Philips Norelco 9160XL SmartTouch-XL Men's Shaver

5.0 out of 5 stars Closest shave yet!, October 20, 2005
I've been a Norelco user for several years now. I have a thick beard, and am always looking for an electric razor that can give me the convenience and close shave. When you figure that a Gillette razor with all those blades you have to keep replacing, an electric razor can actually save you money from the conventional shave. My first Norelco was a Reflex that I inherited from my grandfather. It was pretty old, so its rechargable batteries died. The Quadra series came out, so I tried switching to that. I found it did give me a closer shave because the heads were flexible and could better fit the contours of my face. It worked fine, and then the Spectra came out. The differences between the Quadra and the Spectra are not great. The main thing is that the Spectra has a sensitivity dial (with my beard, I always have to have it set to the highest setting....which is pretty much like the Quadra). It supposedly has different heads....the blades are exactly like the Quadra and the slots are slightly different. Basically, there isn't a big difference between the two with shaving. I did find that one benifit of the Spectra was that you can use it as a corded razor while it's recharging (the Quadra and Reflex only run on batteries....so when the battery dies, you pretty much have to chuck the razor). I can honestly say Norelco has seriously upgraded with the smart touch system. Each head has twice as many blades....with 3 rows instead of one. The heads also sit on a cradle that rocks back and forth. So it can reach any pesky curve or crevice on your face. It's certainly worth plunking down the money if you have a heavy beard and are looking for a close shave from an electric razor.

Panasonic TH-42PX50U 42-Inch Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV
Panasonic TH-42PX50U 42-Inch Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Plasma for the Money!, August 21, 2005
I got this TV a week ago, and am catching so many DVDs on it: seeing details I missed on my old 27" TV set. I took some time going to local stores and comparing the picture quality between this set and other 40+ plasmas and LCDs. I settled on Panasonic due to reputation and picture quality. I've also read that new plasmas don't have burn in problems (as long as you don't have static images on for too long), and have long life spans. If you're stepping up from a tube set, the only negative about larger screens is that they really need a HD source. The Panasonic is pretty good at upconverting a 480i source....so instead of being extremely pixelated, a regular TV channel is just kindy blurry at this size (granted, I'm aslo sizing it at 16:9 ratio to prevent any burn in issues). I also felt like I needed to address M. Popov's comments. He seems to be addressing cons associated with plasma TVs in general. #1 is black level detail. If you look at reviews, this Panasonic is rated very highly for it's black level detail. The only way to get better is if you go for a smaller 36" tube set. If you calibrate the TV using the THX optimizer that's found in various DVDs, I find black level gets pretty gosh darn good. I don't have HDTV yet, and when I'm set up with that I expect the enhanced resolution will also give more detail. #2 is sound quality. All plasmas have stereo sound speakers with 16W max. I certainly am not going to be watching movies on those speakers! That's why I have a surround system, and why I spent $3000 on a large TV....I want a full movie experience. The speakers are good for TV viewing though: they have a simulated surround sound that's adequate for the plain old stereo sound of your vanilla TV reception. Did I mention I'm anxiously awaiting my HDTV?:) HDTV is the only current source that you're supposed to see a real difference between HD plasmas and EDTVs (EDTVs can actually make regular TV sources look better since they don't have to upconvert the signal as much). I also bought an upconversion DVD player for this set. With the player, I'm noticing a real difference between the component jack vs. HDMI. Not so much switching from 480p to 1080i, as from using HDMI input instead of component. I'm thinking of using the Cable Card for getting HDTV, and HDMI for HD DVD whenever it comes out. I think this set is a very good investment that will stay current with the transition to HDTV.

Page: 1 | 2