Profile for doctor_beth > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 41

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

doctor_beth "doctor_beth" RSS Feed (Upstate NY USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (#1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 11-20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31-40
Vita-Mini Super D Softgel, 60 Count
Vita-Mini Super D Softgel, 60 Count
Offered by VanDerPloeg
Price: $3.05
9 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice vitamin, but no smaller than other brands/types of Vitamin D, December 14, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been taking a Vitamin D supplement for several years now. I decided to try this item because it does get expensive to purchase the many different supplements that I take daily, and I was intrigued by the "mini" claim of this particular product. In fact, I will focus my review mainly on the size of the vitamin, as the 30-day window for reviewing Vine products is definitely not enough time to describe whether this vitamin is "effective" or not (especially given that I was already taking a Vitamin D product).

This Vitamin D softgels are indeed quite small and easy to swallow, and I had no problems at all taken them. However, I would note that the are the EXACT SAME SIZE as the brand I was using, Nature Made Vitamin D-3, 5000IU. Also note that although the same size, my previous brand provided MORE of the Vitamin (5000 IUs) than this product, which has just 4000. So, I think that after I finish this bottle, I will return to my prior Nature Made brand. Still, if you prefer the Vita-Mini brand (especially if you want to take exactly 4000 IUs for some reason, a dosage that is hard to find), there's nothing wrong with it, and I would recommend it.

Gingerbread Cookie Murder
Gingerbread Cookie Murder
by Leslie Meier
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.99
122 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Three cozy mysteries, just in time for Christmas!, December 10, 2013
I bought this book awhile back but saved it for the holiday season. It features three Christmas themed novellas, each featuring gingerbread cookies in someway. I will describe each story in greater detail below.

GINGERBREAD COOKIE MURDER
This title story by Joanna Fluke is part of her Hannah Swenson series, and I believe it fits right in between two of Swenson's most recent novels, Devil's Food Cake Murder and Cinnamon Roll Murder. In this story, Hannah, owner of a cookie shop, discovers her new neighbor and recent lottery winner, Ernie, dead. As usual, she enlists the help of sometimes-boyfriend Norman to solve the case before sometimes-boyfriend Mike (a police officer) can do so. Twelve recipes--including the gingerbread cookies as well as chocolate mousse, double chocolate drop cookies, fudge, and more--are included

THE DANGERS OF GINGERBREAD COOKIES
This story by Laura Levine also features a recurring character, Jaine Austen, but one with which I was not familiar. However, I felt that the story stood fine alone, and I enjoyed it. While visiting her parents for the holidays at their Florida retirement community, Jaine, who writes commercial copy in Hollywood, is recruited to help with the community play. To her surprise, the lead cast member is murdered on opening night! Since Jaine fancies herself an amateur sleuth, she sets out to solve the mystery.

GINGERBREAD COOKIES AND GUNSHOTS
This was my least favorite selection of this book. I was not familiar with Leslie Meier's Lucy Stone character, and I did not particularly like her--for a mother with four kids, one grandchild, and supposedly tight family finances, she does a lot of things that don't make sense! Furthermore, the entire tone of this novella did not seem to fit with the other two stories in the book. It is more grim, as involves the kidnapping of a young child at Christmastime. Unfortunately, there is nothing "cozy" about this mystery.

Overall, I would recommend this book, particularly for fans of any of the individual authors; it was an enjoyable holiday read.

Ecolution Kitchen Extras Graduated Universal Lid, Large
Ecolution Kitchen Extras Graduated Universal Lid, Large
Price: $19.99
19 used & new from $15.67

2.0 out of 5 stars Lid itself works well, but DISAPPOINTED because silicone retains cooking smells!, December 9, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was VERY excited to have the opportunity to try this item--I own Ecolution brand pots, which I absolutely LOVE (Ecolution Artistry 8 Piece Cookware Set). It fact, one of the only things that I DON'T like about my cookware set is that the two frying pans don't come with lids, so I thought that this universal lid would be perfect!

I was even more excited to receive this lid. I love the sturdy, oval-shaped handle. I tested the lid out over both frying pans that can with my 8-piece Ecolution Cookware set (a 9.5-inch and an 11-inch), and happily, the lid fit snuggly over each one. I actually decided to cooking with the lid for the first time with my Ecolution Artistry Chicken Fryer--that pan does have its own lid, but I never liked the high dome glass style. To my delight, the Ecolution Universal lid fit the fryer perfectly!

Unfortunately, this is where the problem occurred. I washed the lid by hand as specified (the lid is dishwasher safe, but the instructions state that hand-washing is "recommended"). The next day, my husband pointed out that the silicone part of the lid still smelled of chicken and onions from the previous night's dinner! He re-washed the lid, but the odor remainded. We decided to try the dishwasher, which left white splotches on the black silicone and STILL did not help. Finally, I hand-washed again, this time using some white vinegar. This has reduced the potency of cooking odors somewhat, but they are definitely still discernable.

I am SO disappointed; in every other respect, I really liked this lid! But I certainly can't be pulling out vinegar for washing every time, and even that wasn't 100% effective. Perhaps there is some trick to cooking with silicone that I am missing, but at the current time, this lid is not working for me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2014 6:35 PM PDT

Dance Off the Inches: Cardio Hip Hop Party
Dance Off the Inches: Cardio Hip Hop Party
DVD ~ Jennifer Galardi
Price: $10.19
23 used & new from $7.58

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun dance moves, but best for those who enjoy more complex choreography, December 4, 2013
NOTE: I received a free copy of this DVD to review for the web site Metapsychology Online Reviews; you can read a more detailed version of my review on that site.

"Cardio Hip Hop Party" provides three routines which, according to the DVD case, feature "hot dance styles." Jennifer Galardi instructs this 41-minute workout live and is accompanied by two background exercisers, Dawn and Jenny. No modifications are shown for the choreography, which is moderately complex and with moderate impact. However, Galardi teaches a separate 26-minute "Step Guide" segment which breaks down some (not all) of the dance steps featured in the DVD. The guide includes instruction on the following ten moves: 1) Cabbage Patch, 2) Old School Shuffle, 3) Roger Rabbit, 4) House Hop, 5) Glide, 6) Sweep, 7) Slide, 8) Push, 9) Dig & Snake, and 10) Swivel Step.

The Main Menu of the DVD has options for Play--Chapters--Step Guide. Selecting Chapters brings up a submenu that lists the Warm-Up, Cool-Down, and each of the three dance segments separately. I have broken down each of these chapters in greater detail below.

WARM UP (5 minutes)
Galardi begins with an out-out in-in step. She then stands in place for isolations of various parts of the body, including neck, shoulders, chest, waist, and hips. Returning to the out-out in-in, she adds a heel-knee step and a few dynamic stretches to finish.

OLD SCHOOL (10.5 minutes)
This segment brings the heart rate up. Apparently, many of the moves--such as "Cabbage Patch," sort of wide march with triple step, and "Roger Rabbit," a backward step--are supposed to be familiar dance steps. However, I graduated from high school in the 80s and went to dance clubs in the 90s, and nothing Galardi did here looked familiar to me. What was a big odd about this section was that after running through the moves several times, Galardi adds an entirely new sequence. It seemed like she was starting a completely new routine (with small side kicks), but eventually, she does add this to the first series, taking it from the top.

HIP HOP HOUSE (10.5 minutes)
This was the highest energy segment, but also the one with the most impact. The "House Hop" is a relatively simple heel-side knee move, but the energy continues with the Glide, Sweep, and Slide. The final two combinations were a lot of fun: a high knee with opposite arm punch and a standing crunch with heel push.

VIDEO JAM (10 minutes)
This last routine is performed at a slower pace; in fact, I found it difficult to keep my heart rate elevated (one move is actually called "Stroll"!). The other issue I had with this section is that many of the moves (such as the opening "Push") required twisting your foot on the ground, which is difficult to execute on carpet--definitely not ideal for many home exercisers. This was my least-favorite section.

COOL-DOWN (5 minutes)
Galardi begins the cool-down with reaching side stretches, moving through plié. She also performs pelvic scoops, upper body circles, shoulder stretch, triceps stretch, and chest stretch. For the lower body, she moves through a forward bend and lunge to stretch the hip flexors.

As an instructor, Jennifer Galardi does an excellent job: her mirrored cueing is clear, and her instructions are easy-to-follow. Personally, however, I do not like dance workouts which are so complex as to require a separate tutorial to teach the moves. Most home exercisers like myself have limited time for our workouts, and so we certainly do NOT want to spend half as much time learning the moves as it takes to complete the actual workout! That being said, I did not watch the Step Guide prior to trying the dance routines, and I was mostly able to follow along, although it required a good deal of concentration. As noted above, some of the moves on this DVD are quite fun, and for those who easily learn new choreography, DOTI "Cardio Hip Hop Party" may be a good choice.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2014 6:57 AM PST

Bumble Bee Sensations Tomato Basil Tuna Kit,  3.6 Ounce Packages (Pack of 12)
Bumble Bee Sensations Tomato Basil Tuna Kit, 3.6 Ounce Packages (Pack of 12)
Price: $31.32
4 used & new from $31.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Better taste than other tuna kits, December 2, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I bring my lunch to work daily, and tuna is pretty much a staple. I have tried other tuna/cracker combo kits, but I had stopped buying them because I was finding them to be somewhat bland. This Sundried Tomato & Basil version from Bumble Bee is definitely more flavorful than most. I found the tuna to be nicely moist with just a hint of tomato and spice (not necessarily basil specifically) flavor. I also liked that the small can offered a full 16 grams of protein with only 2 grams carbohydrates and 1 gram of sugar. I would definitely consider purchasing this product in the future, particularly with a coupon.

CoverGirl 300 Flamed Out Mascara, Very Black Blaze, 0.37 Fluid Ounce
CoverGirl 300 Flamed Out Mascara, Very Black Blaze, 0.37 Fluid Ounce
Price: $4.99
13 used & new from $1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Some nice aspects to product, but not ideal for everyday use, December 2, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am always on the look out for the "perfect" mascara, a product that combines ease of application with a great formula. Some mascaras I've tried have come close, but no one product has yet had it all.

The new CoverGirl "Flamed Out" mascara seemed promising, although I immediately disliked the packaging. The tube of this thing is over a 1/2-inch thick! This is ridiculous for women who carry mascara in makeup bags, purses, or even for storage in a drawer. However, I was somewhat mollified when I pulled the wand out of the tube. Probably my BIGGEST pet peeve with mascara is when too much product comes out on the wand, but this tube is designed properly, so that it nicely scrapes off the excess product as you pull the one from the tube.

Okay, on to application. As you can see from the photo, the brush for this mascara--as with many newer mascara brushes--has a gimmicky shape, this one in a sort of hourglass. I thought the shape itself was fine, and I actually liked that it was a traditional bristle-style brush rather than one of the newer plastic brushes. My problem with the brush, however, was that it was HUGE! Although it worked fairly well for my outer lashes, it was WAY too big to get to the smaller lashes closer to my inner eye. That was a real shame, too, as the product applied well, without clumping, and it has excellent staying power.

If only the brush of this mascara had been a bit smaller in diameter, I might have been able to give this mascara a 5-star review--so disappointing! As it is, I'll save it for special occasions only, when I have time to use a second mascara for where this one can't reach.

ETA: I'm tempted to upgrade my review to 4 stars, as with a bit of work, this mascara DOES do a nice job of lengthening my short, sparse lashes, although it can get a bit clumpy. I took photos, but Amazon won't allow me to update them; check out my review on the web site Makeup Alley to see my photos of one eye with, one eye without this mascara.

The Three Weissmanns of Westport: A Novel
The Three Weissmanns of Westport: A Novel
by Cathleen Schine
Price: $11.90
517 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Rare novel featuring older woman and their romantic pursuits, December 1, 2013
I recently picked up this novel at a used book sale. I was attracted to the subject manner: as a woman in my mid-40s, I am finding it difficult to find novels that featuring stories of older women, especially those which revolve around romantic relationships rather than family and children (I myself am married, but without kids).

THE THREE WEISSMANNS OF WESTPORT tells the tale of Betty Weissmann, a woman of seventy-five, and her two middle-aged daughters, Annie and Miranda. Betty's husband of nearly fifty years suddenly informs her that he would like a divorce due to "irreconcilable differences." Later Betty finds out that the name behind these apparent "differences" is Felicity, and it is Felicity who pushes Joseph to take over the downtown New York City apartment that he and Betty once shared. Relying on the kindness of "Cousin Lou," Betty relocates to Westport, convincing both of her grown daughters--each of whom are recently going through difficult periods in their own personal lives--to move in with her.

Early in this book, I had a bit of trouble getting into the story. Author Cathleen Schine jumps around temporally, which was a challenge when all of the basic plot points had not yet been established. Furthermore, I felt that it was difficult to get a clear grasp of the characters of Annie and Miranda--and, more importantly, the distinctions between them--until much later in the novel. Once I became more comfortable with the story, however, I did begin to enjoy it quite a bit more. In fact, I am surprised by all of the negative reviews here, as in the end, I thought that Schine did quite a nice job of weaving together her interrelated storylines. I would recommend this book (I plan to pass my copy along to my own mother, who is divorced and has 3 daughters), with a final rating of four and a half stars.

Essentrics: Upper Body + Abs / Lower Body + Abs
Essentrics: Upper Body + Abs / Lower Body + Abs
DVD ~ Miranda Esmonde-White
Offered by Absolute Yogi
Price: $44.99
2 used & new from $44.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent two-DVD set based on the Classical Stretch program, November 24, 2013
Miranda Esmonde-White is creator "Classical Stretch - The Esmonde Technique," a workout series based on stretching and strengthening the muscles. An "eccentric" contraction is what occurs when muscles lengthen, and Miranda came up with the trademarked "Essentrics" as another name for her technique (more recent Essentrics DVDs are taught exclusively by Miranda's daughter, Sahra Esmonde-White).

This set offers two DVDs, one focused on the Upper Body/Abs and the other on the Lower Body/Abs. Both discs offer two routines of about 30 minutes each. Miranda is alone, teaching live in attractive outdoor settings as noted below. For one of the upper routines, she uses a bench (or chair); otherwise, the only equipment needed is a mat for the floorwork.

DISC 1, UPPER BODY - POOLSIDE ABS + POSTURE (32 minutes)
The 3-minute warm-up includes moves such as swings and bar throws. This is followed by a lengthy (almost 4 mins.) arms work series. Next comes an active standing flow segment: Miranda pulls on both straight and bent arms, performs flexion/extension of the spine, and does windmills/washes. At the 13-minute mark, Miranda begins arms work with the bench. After brief wrist stretches, she performs two sets of triceps dips, stretching between the two sets. At 17 minutes, Miranda comes back to standing for a slow series of side stretches to work the abs. She moves to the floor (at 20.5) for a long (8 mins.) abs work segment that includes crunches, bicycles, legs up/down, legs in/out, and reaches for toes. The workout concludes with 4 minutes of seated stretches focused on the abs and back.

DISC 1, UPPER BODY - GARDEN ABS + WAIST (31 minutes)
This 3-minute warm-up includes arm stirs, rotations, Figure 8s, and golf swings. Next comes 3 minutes of Miranda's typical arms work. Following this, she performs a flowing stretch segment that emphasizes the waist and includes moves such as side lunges and windmills. This is followed by a second arms work segment, this one a bit longer (4 mins.) and with some less frequent moves, including pushing the elbows in and raising the elbows up; Miranda ends with wrist movements mimicking tossing a ball. She then performs slow side-to-side lunges to work the abdominals (similar to the first workout). At 21 minutes, Miranda moves to the floor for a 7-minute abs sequence that includes crunches, legs in/out, reaches, and bicycles. The 3-minute stretch starts lying on the stomach to stretch the abs; Miranda also performs a few brief back extensions, leg lifts, and child's pose to finish.

DISC 2, POOLSIDE - LOWER BODY + ABS (33 minutes)
The warm-ups for the the lower body segments are faster paced. This one includes movements of the arms and legs together plus knee ups and "leg throws" (kicks). The workout itself begins with a series of deep plies, adding in arm movements. Next comes a balance segment which includes feet articulation work and the alphabet (through "o" only, although Miranda recommends doing the entire alphabet twice); Miranda finishes with Figure 8 for the hips. This is followed by slow front lunges with kicks, then around-the-world lunges and finally both front and side kicks. Miranda then moves into a long series of side and rear leg lifts. She concludes the standing work with stretches for the calves and inner thigh. At the 23-minute mark, Miranda moves to the floor for a 3.5 minute abs series that includes crunch with inner thigh squeeze and lower crunch. Coming to seated, Miranda performs a short (3-minute) sequence of leg strengthening work with the legs stretched straight out in front. She concludes this workout with 3 minutes of stretching lying on the back.

DISC 2, GARDEN - LOWER BODY + ABS (35 minutes)
The 3-minute warm-up here includes side-to-side taps, knees, kicks, and hamstring curls. A plie segment follows, incorporating stretching, heel lifts, and little jumps. After just 7 minutes, Miranda moves down to the floor for the first 5.5-minute abs segment. It's a bit different, starting with partial roll-backs (adding rotating) before moving all the way down to the floor for crunches, including with the legs in/out and bicycles. Miranda then comes to a side-lying position to work the obliques, inner thighs, outer thighs, and glutes (about 3.5 minutes per side). At the 18-minute mark, she starts a second set of situps, beginning with single and double toe taps and then moving on to her more usual bicycles, oblique work, and crunches (4 mins. total). Miranda briefly stretches the abs on the stomach, and then this routine concludes with an extra-long (almost 10 minutes!) final stretch. Miranda starts seated for additional abs and quad stretches then moves to lying on the back for a long series of hip and hamstring stretches. Finally, she returns to seated and finishes with groin stretches.

I love Miranda's unique work for the arms, so it's no surprise that I especially liked the Upper Body disc of this set. I particularly enjoyed the second routine (Garden), which had two separate arm sequences and more unique moves, but I also enjoyed the standing abs/waist work in both workouts. Personally, I don't especially like doing traditional crunches for abs, so the second lower body workout (Garden), which had two different abs segments on the floor, was my least favorite of this set. Otherwise, I could see doing these workouts in the future and simply skipping those portions. Overall, these are great routines in the Classical Stretch tradition, and I would definitely recommend them.

Cathe Friedrich - Travel Fit
Cathe Friedrich - Travel Fit
Offered by International Coffee & Books
Price: $20.95
4 used & new from $10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid resistance band workout appropriate for a wide range of exercise levels, November 24, 2013
This review is from: Cathe Friedrich - Travel Fit (DVD)
I've had various Cathe workouts in the past, but although I've liked some of them, I've wound up getting rid of all of them, as I've found that I don't really click with her as an instructor. However, I decided to take a chance on Travel Fit, as I've been trying to incorporate more resistance band/tubing DVDs. (I have found that alternating these types of workouts with more traditional strength training is enhancing my fitness results.)

In her brief Introduction to this 50-minute workout, Cathe explains that this is a routine using only a resistance band and combining isolation exercises, compound moves, and brief cardio bursts (without the band). Cathe instructs live in a large studio (I loved that it was in a high-rise overlooking Philadelphia!) with four background exercisers. There is no modifier, although Cathe herself sometimes will mention an easier modification of the various exercises.

The Main Menu offers options for Introduction-Play-Chapters-Credits. The exercises below are as they appear on the Chapter submenu. I have added details for the Warm-Up, Abdominals, and Stretch only, as most of the exercises are self-explanatory.

*Warm Up (4 mins: heel digs with biceps curls, knee lifts with chest presses, hamstring curls with arms up/down, elbow to knee, end with squat digs)
*Band Pull Downs
To Floor at 32 minutes:
*Push Ups
*Double Arm Band Pulls
*Outer Thigh Presses
*Abdominals (reverse crunch is only move with band; also full situps, "L" crunches, bicycles, and plank)
*Stretch (4.5 mins: lying quad stretch, child's pose, cat/cow, down dog, chest stretch in forward bend, standing stretches for triceps & shoulders)

Overall, I liked this workout. As Cathe says in the Intro, if you think it is easy, think again--the routine can be made more challenging simply by increasing the tension on your band (i.e., gripping it closer) or using a firmer band. As a high intermediate exerciser, I definitely felt that I got a good workout. I did feel that there was more work for the upper body, but I liked the ways in which Cathe used the band for the lower body as well.

There were a few things that I didn't like. First, Cathe and crew seem to be using super-long bands, as it appeared that her reach was better than mine for many of the moves. I tried different bands and even tried using my resistance tubing, but I still had a bit of trouble at times, so you may want to make sure that you have an extra-long resistance band (6-8') for this workout. Second, I wasn't crazy about the abs work. I'm not sure why Cathe gave up on using the band after just a single move, but I didn't enjoy this more traditional abs segment in what was supposed to be a band routine.

In the end, this meets my needs as a solid band routine, and I would recommend it for a wide range of exercise levels.

Cathe Friedrich's STS Shock Cardio: Travel Fit DVD