Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Profile for Reviewer Dr. Beth > Reviews

Browse

Reviewer Dr. Beth's Profile

Customer Reviews: 2551
Top Reviewer Ranking: 52

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Reviewer Dr. Beth RSS Feed (Upstate NY USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (#1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
DII 100% Cotton Chevron Herringbone Throw for Indoor/Outdoor Use Camping BBQ's Beaches Everyday Blanket, 50 x 60", Marigold
Price: $17.99
2 used & new from $15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive throw provides lightweight warmth, February 7, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I decided to order this throw because it seemed to be an excellent match for our great room, where golden yellow is an accent color in the pillows that go with our burgundy couch. I also really liked the herringbone pattern, which seemed to be a good match for our decor as well.

When this throw arrived, I was surprised by how lightweight it was. It is on the small side--definitely NOT a 2-person blanket. I decided to wash before using, and I'm glad I did, as A LOT of lint was produced. In addition, the thrown shed dozens upon dozens of lint balls which my husband painstakingly removed with a lint roller, making several passes to remove these. Luckily, the throw does not appear to be shedding further (at least not much) now that we have done this.

The throw does match nicely with our room. It looks attractive, and it is handy for lightweight warmth. For this purpose, I would recommend it.

Crayola Colored Pencils, Assorted Colors, 12 count (68-4012)
Crayola Colored Pencils, Assorted Colors, 12 count (68-4012)
Offered by mmkdeals
Price: $4.99
168 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent assortment of colored pencils, but the 24-pencil set is a better deal, January 31, 2016
As a psychologist, I recognize the stress-relieving benefits of coloring, and so I am trying to take breaks to do more myself. I purchased these pencils as an add-on item to use with my adult coloring books. I found that it is a decent set, although there is some variability to the colors--e.g., some come out nice and bright, whereas others seem more washed out. I was also dismayed to dismayed to discover AFTER I had purchased this 12-pencil said that Amazon is offering the 24-pencil set (Crayola Colored Pencils, Assorted Colors, 24 count), for about the same price, so now I feel that I got a bad deal. Given this, I recommend purchasing the 24-pencil set rather than this one.

[FLASH SALE] Silent Mind ~ Antique Design Tibetan Singing Bowl Set ~ With Mallet & Silk Cushion ~ BONUS Meditation eBook ~ For Chakra Healing, Prayer ,Yoga, Holistic and Mindfulness ~ Great Gift or Present ~ Guaranteed
Offered by Silent Mind

5.0 out of 5 stars Attractive looking and sounding Tibetan singing bowl, January 31, 2016
Length:: 2:32 Mins

NOTE: I received a free sample of this singing bowl set for review purposes.

I have been wanting to try a Tibetan singing bowl for some time, so I was excited about the opportunity to try this one from Silent Mind. I am a yoga instructor, and I have chimes which I often use at the end of class (I purchased mine through Amazon, and I love them--"Om Nama Shiva" Tingsha Cymbals), but still, the beauty and uniqueness of Tibetan singing bowls appealed to me as well.

This bowl from Silent Mind arrived extremely well-packaged. Each piece was individually wrapped in bubble wrap, and the round cushion that the bowl sits on was placed inside the bowl for extra packaging. The bowl itself is relatively small (about 4" diameter), which I love, as it means it can easily travel to and from yoga class. The striker is substantial yet lightweight, but the bowl itself is fairly heavy for its size. It a bronze color and quite pretty, with an embossed design throughout the inside and the outside. I think it makes a beautiful sound, even nicer than it comes across on the attached video.

Overall, I think this is a lovely little Tibetan singing bowl, and I would definitely recommend it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2016 5:49 AM PST

Yoga for Stress Reduction: Simple Techniques to Manage and Release Stress with Hala Khouri, M.A.
DVD ~ James Wvinner
Offered by HalaYoga Health and Media
Price: $14.99
4 used & new from $9.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-done yoga video by an adept instructor, January 30, 2016
I became certified as a yoga instructor this past fall, but I still frequently practice at home under the guidance of videos. I purchased this DVD for two reasons: 1) the instructor, Hala Khouri, is well-known for her work in trauma/stress, and she has worked closely with one of my teachers, and 2) it includes meditation, and I am trying to increase my practice of meditation along with my yoga practice. The style of yoga on this DVD is based on Khouri's work as a somatic counselor. Somatic means body, and Khouri believes that the body is the key to healing and managing emotions.

This long practice (80 minutes total with both meditations) includes various segments that be used as stand-alone mini-routines. The Main Menu reads as follows (times added by me, and names in parenthesis are as stated inside the DVD case, some of which are different than the DVD menu): Play All - Introduction - Warm-Up (17:49) - Standing Pose (25:39; Standing Poses) - Shaking It Off (11:58; Free Movement) - Cool-Down (15:27) - Meditation A (5:20) - Meditation B (5:08). I have broken down each segment in greater detail below.

WARM-UP
Khouri moves slowing through the warm-up. She briefly starts seated but quickly comes to lying on her back for moves such as a reclined twist, a reclined leg stretch, and reclined pigeon. Coming to a face-down position, she performs sphinx, cobra, and child's pose, adding a lateral stretch. On hands and knees, she moves through several rounds of cat/cow and also performs thread-the-needle. Khouri returns to a seated position to finish by checking in.

STANDING POSES
To start the standing work, Khouri encourages you to ask yourself how you are feeling in your body and to notice any sensations. This is a very flowing sequence. Khouri begins with big sun breaths and then comes into a fluid lunge pose, moving the knee up and down and circling the arms while in low lunge. She flows through plank and down dog, lunge and pyramid. Returning to standing, Khouri brings some balance work into the mix, again continuing the flowing nature of the routine. She ends this sequence with centering.

SHAKING IT OFF
Khouri beings here with a few minutes of flowing movements/stretches. She then moves to pounding the body, taking time to work her way over the entire body. Once that energy is released, she guides about four minutes of free form movement. For the last two minutes, Khouri returns to some flowing stretches and concludes with a final checkin.

COOL-DOWN
This quieting section starts with Khouri in a seated position for a full forward bend. This is followed by one-leg forward bend and then bound angle. Bringing the legs into a straddle position, Khouri performs a side bend to each side. Finishing postures include child's pose, a prone back release, and a final sphinx pose before concluding with shavasana.

MEDITATION A & B
The first meditation involves being "resourced" in your body. I didn't feel that this concept was described particularly well. What I got out of this was the idea of being centered and grounded. However, I would have liked more information, because in the second meditation--which centers around a more specific stressful situation--Khouri states that using your ability to be resourced is vital.

Overall, this was a very nice practice. I enjoyed Khouri's calming presence, and she did good job with the voiceover instruction. I do think that the overall length of this practice is a bit intimidating--all 80 minutes is close to the length of an average yoga class (75 minutes), I know my own home practices tend to be half that or even less. However, this DVD is well-chaptered, so that does provide more options. This is definitely a well-done video, and I would recommend it to anyone with some yoga experience wanting to explore working more with the body as of stress relief.

Meaneor Women's Long Sleeves Plus Size Cable Knitted Grandad Button Cardigan White M
Price: $20.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable casual cardigan, January 30, 2016
NOTE: I received a free sample of this cardigan (in Black, size Medium) for review.

I have a job where I can easily mix work and casual clothing, which is why I was interested in this cardigan. This cardigan is made of casual fabric (I believe it is 100% cotton, but I could not find a fabric tag to confirm) and it has casual styling as well, with large buttons and patch pockets (which were a wee bit on the small side). It fit nicely, falling at just beyond hip length. However, I would not be able to button the cardigan comfortable, as it would pull too tight around my hips if I tried to do so (see the second photo).

I washed this cardigan before wearing, and it turned out fine. The attached outer tag said to wash in cold and to hang dry, but I had no problems throwing it in the dryer. Overall, I will enjoy this cardigan for casual wear, and I would recommend it for that purpose.

A final note...I am wearing another Meaneor product in the photos, their Meaneor Women's Leggings.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Meaneor Women's Courtney Burnout Hooded Pullover Fleece Long Sleeve Sweatshirt (L, Blue)
Price: $29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars but that was fine with me--as a layering piece and something I would ..., January 30, 2016
NOTE: I received a free sample of this product for review.

Before ordering this product, I read in the reviews that it tends to run small, so I decided to order a "Large," which is a size up from my usual. As you can see from the attached photos, this pullover IS in fact a little big on me, but that was fine with me--as a layering piece and something I would wear over other clothing, I don't mind it being on the large size.

This pullover is EXTREMELY soft! I'm not sure of the fabric content, as there are no tags, but it feels like 100% cotton. I washed it before I wore it, and it came out well. I put it through the dryer (the attached outer tag said to hang dry), and this was fine. I really like the soft, faded blue and yellow tie dye combination. The overall construction of this pullover is loose and slouchy...you could even say sloopy. But again, that's fine with me, as it's soft, warm, and just something I am planning to wear around the house.

A final note...in the photos, I am wearing this pullover with another Meaneor product, Meaneor Women's Leggings.

Meaneor Women's Winter Thick Warm Footless Slim Stretch Legging Skinny Pants
Meaneor Women's Winter Thick Warm Footless Slim Stretch Legging Skinny Pants
Price: $11.99 - $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable leggings in an attractive color, January 30, 2016
NOTE: I received a free pair of these leggings (S/M in Wine color) for review.

I enjoy wearing leggings casually but find the fit to be tricky. I ordered this Meaneor brand (which take some time to ship, as they are coming from China) in the S/M size--these seemed to be right for me according to the size chart, as I usually wear a size 6 or 8. However, I am larger in the hips and thighs, so I can never be sure about sizing.

Luckily, the S/M size seemed to fit me well. (See attached photos.) The leggings were quite comfortable--they feel like 100% cotton, although I could not find a fabric content label. There is some slight bagging around the knees, which is why I think there might not be Spandex in the fabric. Also, although the leggings did fit me, I would have much preferred a wide waistband. Not only does the thin elastic waistband feel insubstantial, but also it does nothing for tummy control in that area.

The leggings come with a tag which offers washing instructions suggesting that the leggings need to be washed in cold and hung to dry. In my house, I through virtually EVERYTHING in the dry, especially casual wear; I did so with these leggings, and they turned out fine. I really like the wine color--what I would describe as a deep cranberry--and this looked just as nice after the first washing. In, although these leggings could use a couple of minor improvements, I do like them and would recommend them.

A final note...in the photos, I am also wearing several other Meaneor products: Meaneor Women's Courtney Burnout Hooded Pullover and Meaneor Women's Long Sleeve Button Cardigan.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Mead Cambridge Business Notebook, Ruled, 48 Sheets, 8 1/2" x 5 1/2", Trucco, Pink Floral (59032)
Price: $11.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive, easy-to-carry small notebook, January 30, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been collecting more blank journals lately. Although this is actually described as a "business notebook," I find it more akin to a journal, with the main difference being that it is quite thin. This does make it convenient for carrying around in a briefcase or other business bag. It is smaller than a regular notebook, yet I would say too large for most women's handbags (with the exception of larger oversized bags or totes).

This book has a very attractive, embossed floral deep rose-colored cover. It almost looks like leather; it's not, but it's quite sturdy. The pages inside are lined, with present date slashes on the top right corner of each page. The fact that this is not a spiral notebook means that it is smaller and easier to carry around, but it also means that the pages do not easily lie flat when you are writing on them. Also, the pages are not perforated, so the could not easily be torn out if one wanted to do so. Finally, this notebook includes only 48 double-sided sheets, so it's fairly pricey for the small size. Overall, however, it is a nice product.

Expo Magnetic Dry Erase Markers with Eraser, Chisel Tip, Assorted, 2-Pack (1944725)
Price: $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice dry erase markers have added bonuses of being magnetic and including erasers, January 28, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My new office has several white boards (dry erase boards) for various programming and advertising purposes, so of which are magnetic. I always find it difficult pulling the dry erase markers in and out of the little clips attached to the white boards--half the time, the clip itself falls off, the board knocks down, etc. Having a marker that attaches to the boards magnetically makes things SO much easier.

The magnets on these are markers are fairly strong and work decently. I am not sure why they were made to be so narrow, however--I think that if they were wider, they would have worked even better. The markers themselves write well, although I think the idea of advertising them as having "3 widths" is somewhat overrated--yes, you can turn the marker to achieve different widths, but the line you will get is not nearly as distinct as what is pictured in the item description. Finally, I found that the eraser, which is just a small circle on the cap, worked better than I had expected, so this was a nice bonus.

So, overall, I like these dry erase markers, and I definitely would recommend them.

Kisses Milk Chocolates with Almonds, Gold, 66.7 Ounce
Kisses Milk Chocolates with Almonds, Gold, 66.7 Ounce
Price: $25.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Creamy Hershey's milk chocolate Kisses with the addition of almonds--in a HUGE party bag!, January 28, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First, can I just mention that this is a HUGE bag of chocolate Kisses? If you are a chocolate lover, this will last you a LONG time...or maybe not. ;)

Second, I generally tend to be more of a fan of dark chocolate than milk chocolate. However, rich and creamy Hershey's is an exception, and adding almonds to their Kisses makes their milk chocolate even more irresistible. These chocolates are relatively high in fat and calories if you consume a full serving (9 Kisses), but I find just a few pieces to be very satisfying. Plus, this is a party-sized bag, so most likely, you will only eat a few in that type of setting.

I recommend this Hershey's product--a nice addition to a candy jar, candy bowl, or party buffet.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20