Profile for Sally J. S. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sally J. S. RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
The Plum Tree
The Plum Tree
Price: $9.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Uniquely different WWII novel, March 2, 2015
This review is from: The Plum Tree (Kindle Edition)
A different look at WWII through the eyes of a young German girl who is in love with a Jewish boy. This novel is full of twists and turns, but it also takes a brief, but unique view of how the Germans looked at their Nazi government before and after it fell. It also shows how the local people tried to live within the scope of the government they had.

The Quaker Café
The Quaker Café
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I particularly enjoyed learning a bit more about the Quakers' belief system, December 30, 2014
This review is from: The Quaker Café (Kindle Edition)
On the order of Friday Night Knitting Club, this novel has even more. This has religion and race involved and is riveting to the very end. I particularly enjoyed learning a bit more about the Quakers' belief system. The twists and turns in this novel make it a must read for book clubbers.

Separated @ Birth: A True Love Story of Twin Sisters Reunited
Separated @ Birth: A True Love Story of Twin Sisters Reunited
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $10.99

3.0 out of 5 stars I would recommend this book to young readers, December 14, 2014
I would recommend this book to young readers. Although I found the twins' story intriguing, it seemed juvenile at times. I know these young ladies had quite an ordeal, and I know they've probably been sheltered, but they came off as very immature.

A Fort of Nine Towers: An Afghan Family Story
A Fort of Nine Towers: An Afghan Family Story
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just another Middle East story. This follows a ..., December 6, 2014
Not just another Middle East story. This follows a young man from youth until adulthood, through the death of his beloved grandfather, his father, and the loss of his country due to war. Quite a young man!

The Cooked Seed: A Memoir
The Cooked Seed: A Memoir
Price: $9.59

5.0 out of 5 stars I would highly recommend this book not only because it is a riveting ..., November 17, 2014
I saw this author a few weeks ago, where she spoke to a group of women. She IS herself, and her book amazes me. She has pulled herself up by her bootstraps and has made herself a woman to be recognized. Despite her childhood, despite her early years here in the States, she is a survivor and a heroine. I now have her earlier book "Red Azalea," and I look forward to reading it also. I would highly recommend this book not only because it is a riveting commentary, but it is also highly inspirational. You will not be able to put the book down.

Grandma Gatewood's Walk: The Inspiring Story of the Woman Who Saved the Appalachian Trail
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this book and was rooting for her all the ..., November 1, 2014
I wasn't aware of this remarkable woman. She's quite unique, and her history is enough to make a story within itself. I enjoyed this book and was rooting for her all the way.

Enrique's Journey
Enrique's Journey
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, which was brought to my attention by ..., August 15, 2014
This review is from: Enrique's Journey (Kindle Edition)
Excellent book, which was brought to my attention by the author's visit to "The Daily Show." If you think you have problems, just read this book and see someone who will put yours to shame. There is a lot of controversy about this issue, but when you get down to the individuals it affects, it makes you think about what your beliefs are.

Still Life with Bread Crumbs: A Novel
Still Life with Bread Crumbs: A Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $9.50

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this woman's style, April 25, 2014
Yes, this might be considered a "chick" novel, but it is truly so much more. This is a woman who pulls herself up by her boot straps and, in a way, re-invents herself. Independent, stubborn, and assertive, she struggles with divorce, financial issues, and a desire to keep expressing herself artistically. I loved this book, and I've read other Anna Quindlen books. For some reason, though, this one really made me think. Quindlen's style is folksy yet revealing. The twists and turns are quite unpredictable. What a talent!

Orphan Train: A Novel
Orphan Train: A Novel
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite a book, April 17, 2014
I enjoyed reading this book. It takes an event in our history, which few know about, and creates an easy read with a treasure trove of information. As I followed the parallel lives of the characters, both past and present, it showed me that although we are not as obvious as we once were with orphaned children, we still do not provide the help we need to in order to give a step up to "parentless" children. A TRUE home, with loving parent(s), is without a doubt the best option.

Shark Sonic Duo Carpet and Hard Floor Cleaner (ZZ550)
Shark Sonic Duo Carpet and Hard Floor Cleaner (ZZ550)
Price: Click here to see our price
46 used & new from $70.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Best product I've found, October 2, 2013
I was looking for a product that would not merely push the stuck on grit and grime around but actually pick it up and make my floors squeaky clean. This is it!!! It actually scrubs, and there are two speeds to top it off. Yes, you need to vacuum first, but that is reasonable. My wood and tile floors are only about four years old, but they DO look even better. I was surprised at how much was picked up, especially since I've used the squirt and mop type of cleaner since I've had these floors. The machine is easily pushed, and the pads are washable, which means you save on repeatedly buying new pads. I also tried it on area rugs, and they even improved. I did put a drop cloth beneath them to protect the floors from too much liquid product, but I didn't need to do that. I have not used this on thick-napped carpet, which I have upstairs, but I can tell you that this is still just what I wanted. I would highly recommend it with no reservations.

Page: 1 | 2