Profile for David L. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

David L. RSS Feed

Motorguide Trolling Motor Rubber Mounting Isolator For Motor Mounts
Motorguide Trolling Motor Rubber Mounting Isolator For Motor Mounts
Price: $11.40
22 used & new from $11.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Motorguide Trolling Motor Mounts, August 7, 2011
I had never mounted a trolling motor myself on my boat, it came with one, and I was about to replace the whole thing (mount included) so I removed the old one...long story short, I ended up putting it back on and needed new mounts. I would have needed them either way...

Removing the old mounts actually proved to be harder than putting in the new ones! I followed the simple directions (paraphrased here):
Put the rubber mounts in pre-drilled holes of (X size).
Set your motor mount on the rubber isolator tops, align holes.
Firmly press down on the motor mounting system to be flush with the rubber mounts, and make sure the rubber mount is flush with the fiberglass on your boat.
Drive the screws in to pull the rubber up and hold your motor mount in place. (pro tip - USE AN ELECTRIC DRILL / SCREW DRIVER for this)

The steps are really that easy. And it works great. Not that there was any surprise, it's a simple concept, and a simple implementation. One thing you SHOULD be aware of though-- if you set your front holes (or if they were previously set) too far forward, you need to be careful the front bolts are NOT TOO LONG. If so, you will punch right through the bottom fiberglass...mine was that way and instead of remounting slightly further back, I just used the shorter bolts in front. No biggie.

All in all, a great product that works fantastically. Easy to install and will last for years. 5 of 5 for me!

Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce for the Sigma EF-500ST & EF-500 Super Flashes.
Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce for the Sigma EF-500ST & EF-500 Super Flashes.
Offered by Adorama Camera
Price: $10.49

3.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is..., March 2, 2011
I used this on a EF-530 DG Super. It kind of fits... but its REALLY tight. Like so tight that I don't know that my wife would be able to get it off once I put it on. Maybe it was designed for the 500's not the 500 series as detailed. So in regards to fit, it's horrible. It will take some serious work to get it on and off. However, as for doing what it should? Works perfectly. So easy, so effective -- can't go wrong in that regard. I may look at finding a way to stretch it or something...

All in all, I was disappointed with the fit, but once it's on it works very well. But for the price of just a little piece of opaque plastic I would expect it to fit perfectly. 3 stars, and I'm not positive whether or not I would buy it again. I think if you have a 500, it's probably fine.

David

Polaroid Optics 58mm 4 Piece Close Up Filter Set (+1, +2, +4, +10)
Polaroid Optics 58mm 4 Piece Close Up Filter Set (+1, +2, +4, +10)
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $34.99
9 used & new from $29.26

4.0 out of 5 stars They do what they are supposed to do., March 2, 2011
Ok, so these little guys work. They, however, do not work magic. One needs to understand that all they do is reduce light, and allow you to shorten your focus distance. They do not Magically magnify stuff, they let you get closer. They work fine. The glass is of good quality for the price. Let's be honest, we are talking about a "poor mans macro" setup so don't expect to have shots that look like they are from an electron microscope.

Biggest thing is to make sure you have enough light, and use a tripod. Once you manually fine tune your focus, unless you're on a pod you will slide all around on your target so plan on shooting off a tripod for decent shots.

One problem I had was that some seemed to bind a little and were quick to try to cross thread. As long as you are careful and aware you should have no real issues. But that did drop a star. But again, for the price, and the fact that they do what they are supposed to... I would buy them again.

David

Deluxe Pro 57" Camera Tripod with Carrying Case For The Sony MHS-CM5, PM5 Bloggie Camcorder
Offered by Super Deal
Price: $23.99
2 used & new from $14.74

2.0 out of 5 stars It does hold a camera..., March 2, 2011
I have to say I have never used a tripod that felt this cheap, and I've owned a couple of no names. This is flimsy, the legs bind, the head adjustments are not smooth and it didn't even come with a weight hook. Probably because it would crumble with any more weight, lol. I will use it to hold a flash and umbrella in the "studio" but will replace this before long. Simply put, I would not buy this again. If you go cheap, sometimes you get low price good quality...this isn't one of those times. On a good note, it was cheap enough that you don't "feel the pain". So, it gets two stars.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 9, 2012 1:25 PM PDT

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras with Lens Cleaning Kit
Offered by 33 Street Camera
Price: $249.00
11 used & new from $143.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Nifty Two-Fifty What a steal..., March 2, 2011
There are plenty of good reviews on this, so I'm not going to get into too much detail other than to say it is WELL worth a couple hundred bucks. (and then some) I bought it, took some test shots and blew myself away. It's surprisingly sharp, even wide open! Now, if you step down a couple and pull back on the zoom it just gets better. around 2 steps down at 200mm seems to be a sweet zone for this lens (at least in the quick testing I did). IS is very effective, and the bokeh looks great. I had a seasoned shooter who lives w/ the 70-200L f/2.8 take a look at the test shots, he was impressed as well. So, its not just me.

I do have a couple complaints.... A: It is slower... focusing full range takes some time. B: It is slower... only f/4.0 at best, so you will be shooting higher iso, longer shutters etc in lower light. But, both of those are to be expected, so I will not hold those against the lens... just like inner focus would be better etc. It's a $200 lens, you cant expect $1500 lenses to not have anything on it...

Lastly, my biggest complaint is that it DIDN'T COME WITH MY CAMERA! Ok, not a complaint on the lens, but it's really an impressive lens for the cost and so far I love it. It's not an "L" lens, so don't expect to get the same results. But for $200, I would buy it again and again.

David

Cowboystudio UNPT-04, 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger and Receiver Set with Umbrella Holder for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax Flashes
Price: $22.31
4 used & new from $11.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly Good!, March 2, 2011
I picked this up as a quick and cheap method to use a remote flash. I figured it would work decently. It took me a long time to get it to actually work the first time, because I had my Sigma EF-530 DG Super Flash in the wrong mode. As soon as I flipped it into the right mode, she immediately started working. And working well. I set my flash power to 1/128 and set the camera to go in auto drive at 1/200. Every shutter fire, fired the flash. OK, well that's nice, no missed shots. So then I checked range. I got to 25 feet away and it worked fine... I expected as much. Then I started walking away... WAY away. I was over 100 feet away and it was STILL FIRING! I let it win, and didn't go any further. All in all, it's VERY simple, and VERY effective. I was impressed for the 30 bucks I paid, this is SO worth it. Nice Job COWBOY STUDIOS! When I start using multiple flashes, I WILL buy another receiver and just use this.

Fishing the New River Valley: An Angler's Guide
Fishing the New River Valley: An Angler's Guide
by M. W. Smith
Price: $11.30
38 used & new from $4.93

4.0 out of 5 stars A guide book obviously by a guide..., February 26, 2011
This guide to the NRV is a quick easy read, partially due to the fact that the books only around 80 pages of content and furthered by wide margins and deep line spacing; but also because it is quick to get to the point and moves from one location to the next rather quickly. I recommend a highlighter and a few hours and you can be through this read easily and have good notes ready as you need them.

All in all, I think this is a well written and accurate guide book. Smith's knowledge is apparent and his experience as a guide shows throughout the pages. For me, the guide mentality was too much at times. I got the feeling that sometimes it was more about where they launch at and what rapids to play with instead of focusing more on the actual fishing. This was definitely well keyed for a canoeist or rafters; but if you spend your time in a nice wide flat bottom boat or bank fishing much of the content is lost...

For the complete review, please visit FishingtheNRV.com where there is an official review here: [...].

Thanks,