Profile for Tenna Merchent > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 283

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tenna Merchent RSS Feed (Noblesville, IN USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It: Learn Step by Step How to Go from Empty Studio to Finished Image (Voices That Matter)
by Scott Kelby
Price: $30.03
109 used & new from $19.26

5.0 out of 5 stars He makes everything seem simple and worth trying, September 13, 2011
This is a very well done, visual, and detailed, book. He shows and tells everything. There are photos for every aspect of the shot, from every angle, including from the ceiling looking down, so you can really envision how the set was constructed, how close the lights were to the model and each other.

He shows you the back of the camera, his exact settings including: aperture priority, ISO, f-stop, shutter speed, lens and focal length. He explains, and shows you where he focused his lights, what light modifiers he used, his power settings, and how to adapt that to your lights.

On the retouching, he takes you step-by-step through the camera raw and photo process. Each step is accompanied by a supporting photo of the screen, I would say screen grab, but it looks to be higher quality
. He includes keyboard shortcuts and explains why he is making a particular adjustment. For instance, he takes the recovery slider to the point where the model's face is properly exposed, but doesn't worry about the reflection on metal, or the light bulbs being blown out.

He demonstrates many different photographic/ lighting looks, and they are all very different:
* A classic high key beauty shot
* An edgy rock-n-roll shot, this one had some cool photoshop techniques I hadn't seen, and am looking forward to trying
* A dramatic beauty shot, with lots of contrast and shadows
* Three light lens flare. I would call this one a slightly over-exposed with cool image in sunglasses shot.
* Ring light with another cool sunglasses effect
* 3-light sports setup (masculine edgy lighting)
* 1-light full-length fashion shot, to name just a few
I like the fact that he explains how you can do this without spending a fortune, and that he includes several male shots, and doesn't limit himself to just polished female model beauty shots.

He even includes a separate chapter where he explains how to do all the exact same shots with speedlights.

He includes a gear guide that shows the exact tools he used in the book with pictures and descriptions, right up to the adapter rings and transmitters.

Kelby salts the book with his usual off the cuff humor, which I enjoy. The book, amazingly, moves very quickly, is an easy read, and will be an excellent reference book. He has the uncanny ability to make everything seem easy. And, if you follow his instructions, it probably will be.

Melissa and Doug Terrence Blue Trunki Ride On Luggage with Matching SaddleBag and Sticker Sets
Offered by Todays Concept
Price: $49.99
2 used & new from $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great carry-on they may even pull themselves, September 6, 2011
Our boys were so excited when these cases arrived just before our big trip to Europe. They scooted all around the house on them, and were also enthusiastic to pack their treasures for themselves. On the aircraft, they fit easily under the seat in front of us, or in the overhead storage area.

The only thing I'm not so excited about is the latches on the side. My husband and I both found them difficult to use, and determine if they were locked on unlocked. But I would say the fact that the children love them so much greatly outweighs that negative.

Lexar 32GB Professional 600x CompactFlash Card
Lexar 32GB Professional 600x CompactFlash Card

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite memory card, August 11, 2011
I know these memory cards are expensive, but memory cards are not an area where I am willing to cut corners. I need my camera to be fast for numerous reasons. When I shoot HDR, I'm really testing the buffer. Or when I'm shooting an event, I do not want my buffer to get full and prevent me from getting that great shot. I am super careful about making sure I've downloaded my images so that I don't accidentally format I card with data on it, and that does require an extra set of cards. I invested in one of those digital suitcases to hold my images, and I just haven't become comfortable with it yet. I trust my memory cards more.

Bottom line, my images are worth the investment in awesome memory cards.

No More Rotten Eggs: A Dozen Steps to Grade-AA Talent Management
No More Rotten Eggs: A Dozen Steps to Grade-AA Talent Management
by Debra Thompson
59 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good content, August 11, 2011
This book came Highly Recommended by my photography mentor. As a photographer, we look for people like us to be assistants and photo editors. Well the person you need sitting behind the computer all day is not the same type of personality as you need behind the camera going out in the world and connecting with people. If a person is happy sitting behind a computer all day, you need someone who doesn't require constant human contact. Big difference from the extroverted photographers I know.

This book reminds me of the carpenter's moto, measure twice, cut once. The book's point is figure out what the job description is, in detail, spend you time finding the right person, so you don't have to fire them. Get the right person in the beginning.

There are forms on the disk, and that is actually why I didn't give it 5 stars, I think including them on the disk is a plus, but I would have liked to have seen them in the book too, so that I didn't have to go to my computer (which I spend wayyyyy too much time on anyway), and I could continue reading the book in bed. Then, later I could download the forms.

Other than that, I thought the book had a great message, and material to support you search for the best employee possible.

G-Technology G-DRIVE 3TB External Hard Drive w/ eSATA, USB 2.0, Firewire 400, Firewire 800 Interfaces 0G01973

5.0 out of 5 stars This made my inner nerd sing!, August 11, 2011
When I first saw this 3TB hard drive at the Apple store I was so excited! A complete nerd moment, and then when I found it here on Amazon I was even happier.

I've tried the 3TB Western Digital, and the 3 TB Passport, and I really dislike them both. They cause problems at boot-up, so I have to remember to unplug them before I turn my computer on, and then plug them back in after I boot up. They disconnect all the time, and I haven't even touched them, it drives me insane! I am neurotic about backing up, I even rotate my backups off-site. With my previous backups, I was really nervous moving them because the boxes say they shouldn't be used as a portable hard drive. When I asked about that at the store the gentleman said the disks move even when they aren't plugged in, great, so how are you supposed to rotate them, and get them off-site?

Well you don't have to worry about that with this hard drive. It has never caused my computer to lock-up when I boot-up, it has never dismounted, and I feel safe rotating it to my off-site back up. I love this hard-drive!

Photoshop Compositing Secrets: Unlocking the Key to Perfect Selections and Amazing Photoshop Effects for Totally Realistic Composites
by Matt Kloskowski
Price: $35.61
62 used & new from $24.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous reference book, August 8, 2011
I love this book. Combining images, and making it look believable is hard, tedious work. In this book Matt Kloskowski lays out exactly how he does it, and actually makes it sound easy, hopefully I'll get to the point where it is.

Some of it was familiar from watching Photoshop User TV, but much of it was new. In one example he explained how he kept track (on his phone) his lens, and focal length, distance from the subject, and how high the camera was from the ground when he photographed his main subject. He then replicated all of this when he photographed the background so the subject would look right when put in that atmosphere.

He covers the shadows (super important to making it look real), the filters, the clipping masks, layer blend modes, and a couple of ways to get rid of that nasty fringe quickly to name just a few of his helpful tips. This is a book that I will keep right next to my computer and refer to any time I am doing a composite.

If you like this book, I also recommend his earlier book Layers: The Complete Guide to Photoshop's Most Powerful Feature (2nd Edition) which was absolutely wonderful!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2014 9:37 AM PDT

HDR Efex Pro
HDR Efex Pro

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous HDR program!, July 5, 2011
This review is from: HDR Efex Pro (CD-ROM)
I love this program. If you are new to HDR, I recommend you read The HDR Book: Unlocking the Pros' Hottest Post-Processing Techniques. In the book, RC discussed three software programs to create HDR images, and explains that the Nik version is his favorite. I agree! I've tried using Photoshop to do HDR, and Nik does an immensely better job.

The program comes with presets that you will see on the left hand side. They are a great starting point. If they need adjusting, you can fine tune with the sliders on the right, in particular I go to method and strength.

I've read on Flickr that HDR is addictive and I totally agree. With it you can get images that you just can't get in any other way, at least not without spending days in the digital dark room doing tons of complicated masking.

If you like this program, I also recommend Nik Software Color Efex Pro 2.0 Standard Edition, 19 Filters, Plug-in Software for Macintosh & Windows. Free upgrade to Color Efex Pro 3.0 Standar which I use all the time. I in particular like the filters Tonal Contrast, and Sunshine. Nik has a podcast which I also like, it will give you some good ideas, inspire you, and lead you to some great artists.

LEGO Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen 8200
LEGO Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen 8200
6 used & new from $69.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to assemble., July 1, 2011
Length:: 1:08 Mins

This is a brief video showing you our Lego Lightening McQueen, and another set LEGO Cars Tokyo Pit Stop 8206. They are both easy to assemble, and my son loves them!

LEGO Indiana Jones Shanghai Chase (7682)
LEGO Indiana Jones Shanghai Chase (7682)
Offered by Todd Toy Store
Price: $119.00
13 used & new from $99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool Lego, July 1, 2011
Length:: 0:36 Mins

This is a brief video showing you our Lego Shanghai Chase, hope you like it!

LEGO SpongeBob SquarePants Chum Bucket
LEGO SpongeBob SquarePants Chum Bucket
Offered by Bigg Time Sales
Price: $182.00
12 used & new from $139.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Lego toy, July 1, 2011
Length:: 1:26 Mins

This is a brief video showing you our Lego Chum Bucket. Hope you like it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 9, 2014 12:04 PM PST